Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Werner?

wordofmouth

Reports have said he looks good. He is playing behind Mathis at rush LB. He destroyed Anderson at RT before he was cut and has given Cherilus and Costonzo fits. Sounds like the coaches do not want to overload him yet with the more technical SSLB.

Guest TeamLoloJones

An instant upgrade over the guy who burned the franchise for $14M last season.

Funny thing.  Last night the first play of the Seahawks drive,  Freeney had a great bull rush and almost had a sack...I was like, maybe Freeney should of been kept...then the seahawks ran the ball and I quickly reversed that thought.

An instant upgrade over the guy who burned the franchise for $14M last season.

You say that as if he stole the money. We gave it to him via contract. Keep in mind, it wasn't his choice to switch to an unfamiliar scheme. 

Whether or not Werner is an upgrade is yet to be seen. I'm not sold on him yet. I have high hopes though. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

Werner has looked great throughout training camp, he should start over Walden week 1 vs Raiders.

He's playing behind Mathis as rush LB so it's not a Walden vs. Werner situation at the moment...but I think the d-line and linebackers will be moved around alot to create mismatches, so werner should see the field plenty...

He's playing behind Mathis as rush LB so it's not a Walden vs. Werner situation at the moment...but I think the d-line and linebackers will be moved around alot to create mismatches, so werner should see the field plenty...

The rush LB thing is blown out of proportion, Walden rushed a lot for the Packers with Matthews but wasn't effective. Orakpo and Kerrigan are both "rush" LB's and it seems to work for them. Teams will counter attack and  throw the ball on early downs knowing that Walden is in the game and will have a clean pocket because he can't pass rush. That won't happen if Werner is in the game with Mathis. If Orakpo and Kerrigan can both play together i don't see how Werner and Mathis couldn't.

Guest TeamLoloJones

The rush LB thing is blown out of proportion, Walden rushed a lot for the Packers with Matthews but wasn't effective. Orakpo and Kerrigan are both "rush" LB's and it seems to work for them. Teams will counter attack and  throw the ball on early downs knowing that Walden is in the game and will have a clean pocket because he can't pass rush. That won't happen if Werner is in the game with Mathis. If Orakpo and Kerrigan can both play together i don't see how Werner and Mathis couldn't.

I'm with you...I think eventually we will see that...but right now I think the best bet for Werner's development is to sit behind Mathis and learn from him as much as he can...I think he will benefit more from that long term than just throwing him out there as a starter...He very well could be the week 1 Starter opposite Mathis and I would have no problem with that whatsoever.  I just think what the Colts are doing with him right now is the right way to go.

i couldnt agree more.  the whole point of the 3-4 is that you dont know who is rushing on any given play.  BOTH outside LBs need to be effective pass rushers.  lets say it is a given that all 3 DL rush.  we might as well be a 4-3 if only Mathis ever goes with the DL.  i think we will run some looks that resemble a 4-3 with Mathis on the line and Walden back a bit BUT in our base 3-4 and nickel packages, I expect to see a lot of Mathis and Werner on the field together. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

Plus, I'm as nervous about Walden as anybody else, but I'm willing to let him play at least one regular season game in this Colts defense before I throw him under the bus.

I'm with you...I think eventually we will see that...but right now I think the best bet for Werner's development is to sit behind Mathis and learn from him as much as he can...I think he will benefit more from that long term than just throwing him out there as a starter...He very well could be the week 1 Starter opposite Mathis and I would have no problem with that whatsoever.  I just think what the Colts are doing with him right now is the right way to go.

Learn by doing.  

Plus, I'm as nervous about Walden as anybody else, but I'm willing to let him play at least one regular season game in this Colts defense before I throw him under the bus.

it isnt a Werner or Walden situation.  We will use BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Understandable, but we threw Luck, TY,Allen,Fleener out there starting as rookies and they were great. Werner will make some mistakes in the run game and will learn from them but the pass rushing skills, batted balls and deflections will outweigh the bad plays.

Guest TeamLoloJones

i couldnt agree more.  the whole point of the 3-4 is that you dont know who is rushing on any given play.  BOTH outside LBs need to be effective pass rushers.  lets say it is a given that all 3 DL rush.  we might as well be a 4-3 if only Mathis ever goes with the DL.  i think we will run some looks that resemble a 4-3 with Mathis on the line and Walden back a bit BUT in our base 3-4 and nickel packages, I expect to see a lot of Mathis and Werner on the field together. 

I agree. I like the orakpo-kerrigan comparison for mathis and werner.  I'm just saying its' not a bad thing to let werner get his NFL legs before we make him the starter opposite mathis...Especially if mathis comes out or (knock on wood) gets injured, it would be good to know werner will have the RLB spot nailed down

Guest TeamLoloJones

Understandable, but we threw Luck, TY,Allen,Fleener out there starting as rookies and they were great. Werner will make some mistakes in the run game and will learn from them but the pass rushing skills, batted balls and deflections will outweigh the bad plays.

I'm in the camp that thinks Werner has been a little underrated, and loved it when we drafted him..even though some were confused about drafting a 4-3 end.  I think werner has scary good upside...but I default to letting the coaches decide how to use him early on

Guest TeamLoloJones

He may not play against the Bills because he didn't practice today.

That would be a shame.  I'm sure he wants to get out there and compete as much as we want to see him out there.

What's really being blown out of proportion is the "who will be listed as the starters?" thing.  

I have faith the coaches will put the best players on the field given the situation.  I don't know about you, but personally I'd rather see Walden and Werner on the field together to play against the run than Walden and Mathis.  Granted, we have yet to see what he can do at the NFL level, but I fully expect Werner to very quickly become a much better run defender than Mathis.  

I think that could be a large part of the reason why they're only teaching Werner the Rush LB spot.  On passing downs, Werner and Mathis will likely both be on the field to rush the passer, and Mathis can move to the SamLB spot allowing Werner to be in the RushLB spot.  On running downs, Werner can come onto the field in the RushLB spot while Mathis goes to the bench, and Walden plays the SamLB spot.  

I agree with you about Werner being a better run defender then Mathis but no way our we benching Mathis for Walden. Mathis is a pro bowler much better player then Walden, his positives outweighs his negatives. Mathis played Sam LB last year and he was the best at his position in the AFC. Even though Walden is considered a good run defender, his pass rushing abilities are too much of a negative for him to be on the field, i would rather have Sidbury backing up Mathis/Werner.

Teams that usually run on 1st downs will pass knowing that they'll only have to worry about Mathis because Walden can't pass rush. All the teams with smart QB's Peyton,Dalton,Shaub 2x ,Kaep,Wilson,Rivers,Palmer will audible when Walden is on the field and hit us for big plays with the play action. The best players on the field gives us the best chance to win and Werner,Mathis are our best pass rushers.

I agree with you about Werner being a better run defender then Mathis but no way our we benching Mathis for Walden. Mathis is a pro bowler much better player then Walden, his positives outweighs his negatives. Mathis played Sam LB last year and he was the best at his position in the AFC. Even though Walden is considered a good run defender, his pass rushing abilities are too much of a negative for him to be on the field, i would rather have Sidbury backing up Mathis/Werner.

Teams that usually run on 1st downs will pass knowing that they'll only have to worry about Mathis because Walden can't pass rush. All the teams with smart QB's Peyton,Dalton,Shaub 2x ,Kaep,Wilson,Rivers,Palmer will audible when Walden is on the field and hit us for big plays with the play action. The best players on the field gives us the best chance to win and Werner,Mathis are our best pass rushers.

Yes, I absolutely guarantee you there will be times when Walden is on the field and Mathis is not.  If we only play our defenders that are good at rushing the passer then we have several guys who would never see the field.  You do realize that teams are not going to pass the ball on every single down right?   You have heard Pagano and Grigson talking repeatedly about stopping the run right?  I agree with you that Mathis and Werner are going to be our two best pass rushers, but the defense is not going to be playing in pass rush mode every single down. Mathis is not going to be on the field for 100% of the defensive snaps over the course of the year.   If it's a 3rd and 1 then I'd MUCH prefer Mathis be standing on the sideline watching.  

I don't think our coaches and front office really care about how Washington plays defense.  They're concerned with how they want to run the colts defense and they want the colts defense to be able to stop the run.  this is why they brought in Walden and Walden will get a lot of playing time this year.  He can rush the passer, he's just not elite at it.  He can still provide pressure though if the scheme is right and that's why Pagano, Manusky and their staff is here.  

I'd give it a 95% chance that Walden is the starter as of regular season week 1 and I'll give it 75-80% chance he's still listed as the starter by the end of the season.  it really does not matter though, just like it doesn't matter what order the depth chart is for our WR's, ILB's, OLBs and anyone on the Dline.  With these positions there will be a lot of rotation and a lot of different combinations on the field.  Werner could very well wind up playing more snaps through the course of the season than Walden but Walden will still be listed as the starter at SOLB.  Regardless, Mathis and Werner will be on the field together at times....Walden and Mathis are going to be on the field together at times....and Walden and Werner are going to be on the field together at times.