Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you wish our stadium was open air?

Ohio Colt

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm torn on the topic...Football should be played in the elements, in the open air, in mud, puddles of water, snow...but in today's game, the comfort of the fans, and being able to get every game from home,can make it a miserable experience for some fans, especially ones that can't get around well. The part I hate in this debate is the revenue thing...if people no-show due to bad weather, or having to drive through feet of snow to get to say a Vikings game, its dangerous to fans and players having even to get there..

Back in the day, it was just like one of possibly 2-3 jobs a player had to have to live..they played for the love of the game...Now, its big business, and people are scared of injuries, lawsuits, and lost pay..etc...

That mentality takes away from the real game, that use to be played by real men, back when football was actually football..And another fallout from the revenue thing, costs us having the old time skills competition, in all sports..Few superstars in any sport ever do that any more..not like in the good old days.

I would love to see a game where the uniforms get so muddy you can't see the numbers..mud and grass hanging from helmets..and two teams just lining up in the trenches, beating the living snot out of each other, slipping and sliding around..These players today are so pampered, it sometimes makes me sick even thinking about the spoiled brats

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!   Ive been to two open stadiums and i hated them.  I hate the sun in my face for most of the dang game, I hated being in the shade for an entire game during 20 degree weather, cmon BOB show yourself and warm me up!!

I very much prefer the stadium we have and if we want it open we can.  But if the weather is bad, then close it up.  Ive dealt with enough cold and sun in my short life already, i dont wanna deal with it when im trying to enjoy watching my Colts play.

I don't understand this thread at all.....

You have the best of both worlds.    A stadium, whose roof can open almost fully, so the fans can enjoy great weather when it's there....

And you can keep it closed so the fans can enjoy a game in bad weather, and the players always have good weather to play in no matter what.

It's a win-win situation....   I'm not sure why any football fan would ever want for anything else?!?

Sign me up!!   :thmup:       

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!   Ive been to two open stadiums and i hated them.  I hate the sun in my face for most of the dang game, I hated being in the shade for an entire game during 20 degree weather, cmon BOB show yourself and warm me up!!

I very much prefer the stadium we have and if we want it open we can.  But if the weather is bad, then close it up.  Ive dealt with enough cold and sun in my short life already, i dont wanna deal with it when im trying to enjoy watching my Colts play.

I agree..now that I'm older..but admit it..when we were all younger..it didn't matter what the field looked like, how dirty, wet, or cold we'd get, playing in the elements ourselves was so much more fun.

We had a bad snowstorm back when I was in my late teens..the snow hadn't completely melted, and we had an arctic wind come down from Canada..setting record cold.-20 wind chill..we were out there playing in layers and layers of clothing. It was so cold, I was returning a kickoff, when I slipped and butted my head into the back of my blocker's head..I covered my face for a second til the cold took the pain away, and I was pouring out blood..It was so cold, my skin split..I ended up with 6 stitches in my cheek and 4 in my eyelid..(that's right..eyelid)..I still have more fun that day playing, even though I was hurt...

I remember one game it was so muddy, a friend got tackled into a deep pool of mud...luckily, my other friend lived across the street from the playground..his mom spent 10 minutes hng hosing him down, and then about 20 minutes to get the mud off her pavement...

I miss the old days...

I'm torn on the topic...Football should be played in the elements, in the open air, in mud, puddles of water, snow...but in today's game, the comfort of the fans, and being able to get every game from home,can make it a miserable experience for some fans, especially ones that can't get around well. The part I hate in this debate is the revenue thing...if people no-show due to bad weather, or having to drive through feet of snow to get to say a Vikings game, its dangerous to fans and players having even to get there..

Back in the day, it was just like one of possibly 2-3 jobs a player had to have to live..they played for the love of the game...Now, its big business, and people are scared of injuries, lawsuits, and lost pay..etc...

That mentality takes away from the real game, that use to be played by real men, back when football was actually football..And another fallout from the revenue thing, costs us having the old time skills competition, in all sports..Few superstars in any sport ever do that any more..not like in the good old days.

I would love to see a game where the uniforms get so muddy you can't see the numbers..mud and grass hanging from helmets..and two teams just lining up in the trenches, beating the living snot out of each other, slipping and sliding around..These players today are so pampered, it sometimes makes me sick even thinking about the spoiled brats

"And we liked it that way"

You actually sound like your avatar, I love it.

I don't understand this thread at all.....

You have the best of both worlds.    A stadium, whose roof can open almost fully, so the fans can enjoy great weather when it's there....

And you can keep it closed so the fans can enjoy a game in bad weather, and the players always have good weather to play in no matter what.

It's a win-win situation....   I'm not sure why any football fan would ever want for anything else?!?

Sign me up!!   :thmup:       

He's referring to the true open air stadiums..like in Lambeau...the stadiums we have today are more of a hybrid...I'll admit i prefer it as you do..for the comfort of the fans..but it used to be a great experience to just be in all the elements...not so much as a fan, but as a player as well..I wouldn't mind going to see even high school ball in Texas, where its warm, the fans are wild, the players are good, about an hour or so after a good ol rain storm..

The good ol days are always overrated.

That's the great thing about our stadium it can be open air if we want it to be but with the roof let's us use it for more things like getting Super Bowls to Indianapolis and hosting Final Fours.

The NCAA championship is played at conseco .. Why wouldn't it be ?

I agree..now that I'm older..but admit it..when we were all younger..it didn't matter what the field looked like, how dirty, wet, or cold we'd get, playing in the elements ourselves was so much more fun.

We had a bad snowstorm back when I was in my late teens..the snow hadn't completely melted, and we had an arctic wind come down from Canada..setting record cold.-20 wind chill..we were out there playing in layers and layers of clothing. It was so cold, I was returning a kickoff, when I slipped and butted my head into the back of my blocker's head..I covered my face for a second til the cold took the pain away, and I was pouring out blood..It was so cold, my skin split..I ended up with 6 stitches in my cheek and 4 in my eyelid..(that's right..eyelid)..I still have more fun that day playing, even though I was hurt...

I remember one game it was so muddy, a friend got tackled into a deep pool of mud...luckily, my other friend lived across the street from the playground..his mom spent 10 minutes hng hosing him down, and then about 20 minutes to get the mud off her pavement...

I miss the old days...

This is true, especially when i am playing.  I actually prefer playing in the rain.  But watching it in the rain is a different story.  When you are playing, you have the adrenaline pumping and making you forget everything else and focus only on what you need to do.  So that helps alot.  But if im just sitting there, on the opposite end of the field and cant hardly see anything, you bet your bottom my minds on the weather lol.

i like the fact we have a closed stadium.. the game is never hindered by the weather, and i guess it's better for the fans..

BUT! one thing i don't understand and hate (even though it doesn't affect me) is the retractable roof.. how many games were played at LOS with the roof open? i can't remember more than 5-6.. it seems to me like a costly luxury with no real benefits.. (the cost of building a fixed roof would have been much lower)

LOVE the movable glass wall with the view on downtown! that would have been enough..

Except for during rain and snow(no drainage), it could be an open air stadium.  Just leave the roof open.  Or, leave it open more.  I have no idea what the current protocol is.  Initially, it was kept open between 50-80, and there were a few games where it was open at around 50-51 degrees.  Not sure if that is still the case because Polian wanted it shut.  Grigson and Chuck, however, in trying to instill a physical mentality, might want it open. 

No, Indiana winters suck.

Yes, but playing in a division with three southern teams, that could be turned into a great home field advantage. 

Irsay wanted an open air stadium.  I know that.  Initially, they looked into refurbishing the RCA Dome and building an open air stadium.  I'm one who somewhat wish they had.  Polian, however, wanted a closed roof for Manning, the offense, etc., yet Manning looks just fine in Denver to me. 

Yes, but playing in a division with three southern teams, that could be turned into a great home field advantage.

Irsay wanted an open air stadium. I know that. Initially, they looked into refurbishing the RCA Dome and building an open air stadium. I'm one who somewhat wish they had. Polian, however, wanted a closed roof for Manning, the offense, etc., yet Manning looks just fine in Denver to me.

I don't recall irsay pushing for an open air stadium. He makes more money with a venue that can be used all year. As does the city

Irsay wanted an open air stadium.  I know that.  Initially, they looked into refurbishing the RCA Dome and building an open air stadium.  I'm one who somewhat wish they had.  Polian, however, wanted a closed roof for Manning, the offense, etc., yet Manning looks just fine in Denver to me. 

He looked fine until the Ravens game.  I don't know if it was the weather, his arm was tired, or the O coordinator just wouldn't let him pull the trigger.  But there's no way he played a "Manning" game.  They were lucky to be in it.

Totally off subject, sorry.

I don't recall irsay pushing for an open air stadium.

You weren't paying attention then, because he did.  In fact, he was quoted in the Star as saying football was meant to be played outdoors.  They looked at refurbishing the RCA Dome and building an open air stadium on a site on the west side.   Lucas Oil Stadium was the city's brainchild.

You weren't paying attention then, because he did. In fact, he was quoted in the Star as saying football was meant to be played outdoors. They looked at refurbishing the RCA Dome and building an open air stadium on a site on the west side. Lucas Oil Stadium was the city's brainchild.

If football was meant to be played in nasty winter weather, why doesn't the season start in November? Why do teams exist in the southwest?

You're right but if you read that entire article, Colts don't get anywhere near that much from non-Colts events. Colts get half of non-Colts revenue but it's capped at $3.5M annually.

3.5 million annually for a zero dollar investment is pretty darn good.

3.5 million annually for a zero dollar investment is pretty darn good.

I wouldn't say it was a zero dollar investment.  Irsay put in $100M to help pay for the stadium.  He also owns and invests in the team and the team is the reason the stadium is here to hold the events in the first place. 

He may not have invested a ton of money but an investment is and investment nonetheless. 

LOS was built with a huge amount of public money and was always inteneded to be an extension of the convention center for large conventions, just as the RCA Dome was.  It also hosts several other events every year.  For example, the Drum Corp International World Championshio is here every year:

http://www.dci.org/indy/championships.cfm

There was no way the city/taxpayes were going to pay hundreds of millions of dollars on a facility that would be used to host 10 Colts games a year.

It's also the permanent back up facility for the NCAA Men's Final Four:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/tourney06/2006-03-12-final-four-home_x.htm

It's also allowed Indy and the NCAA to form an agreement that Indy would at least one major NCAA event every year  through 2039:

http://www.indianaeconomicdigest.net/main.asp?SectionID=31&SubSectionID=135&ArticleID=53305&TM=30787.3

I wouldn't say it was a zero dollar investment. Irsay put in $100M to help pay for the stadium. He also owns and invests in the team and the team is the reason the stadium is here to hold the events in the first place.

He may not have invested a ton of money but an investment is and investment nonetheless.

i agree he did invest. but to get half of non colts event money may be a bit over the top. He is a smart business man. I'm not faulting him for it

Hear me out. I love our stadium. It's state of the art. It's a palace.

But I kind of miss outdoor football on sunday's. Its one missing element watching a dome team every sunday.

Anyone with me on this?

With respect...

No....No..a thousand times no..

If you've ever been to high school footbal games in Indiana in November, you know 

You dont want to play outdoors...Not ever....November weather drives people out of the stadium..

January weather at night outdoors is almost life threatening

I'm extremely concerned that the the open air Super Bowl this coming February will be one of the great self-inflicted embarassment wounds in the history of the NFL...

I love our stadium...