Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

is mcmanus the heir apparent

CR91

I know its stupid to make a thread about a kicker, but I thought it could be interesting to talk about what could be our future kicker. I mean its not like we're gonna resign a 41 year old kicker. obviously hes not gonna make the team this year, but I can see us putting him on our ps.

I know its stupid to make a thread about a kicker, but I thought it could be interesting to talk about what could be our future kicker. I mean its not like we're gonna resign a 41 year old kicker. obviously hes not gonna make the team this year, but I can see us putting him on our ps.

I think its a good thread. I like the kid but Vinateri can still kick. Wish we could keep both but it would be tough on a 53 man roster. I believe another team would pick him up before we could add him to the PS.

Why? Doing all three would still be much less than any professional soccer player. Maybe Pat will be the first.

well like jvan1973 said it would also put us in a hole if he got hurt. that would be two positions we would have to fill.

I watched McManus kick today and he did a pretty good job.  I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up on this team in the future, maybe even at some point this season.  

As far as McAfee doing all three jobs, as awesome as it would be for him to be the first, I doubt that it will ever happen.  Too risky if something would happen to him in a game.  You would almost have to carry a back up for him on the roster just in case, and since you are carrying multiple P/K you might as well split the job duties.

BTW, I had a pretty cool run in with McAfee today at training camp.  I was sitting in a folding chair watching the team practice on the small field.  McAfee after practicing on the stadium field takes off running and jumps over me and the barrier to the practice field, joining the rest of the team.  While throwing the ball around with Overton, I told him that was a heck of a jump and chatted him up a bit.  I said something about getting his glove and an autograph since he jumped over me.  As soon as practice was finished he came over gave me the glove and signed it.  Definitely one of the most memorable days I've ever had at TC!

theres no way they'll let pat kick, punt and kickoff. hes leg would fall off mid-season

The other reason not to have Pat doing FG, punting and kick-offs,  is....

If he gets hurt,  the team is badly damaged in all three areas.    You can't have a back-up that is good at all three...

It's just too dangerous.     Doing extra long FG's is a possibility....   but otherwise,  I don't see it happening....

it has nothing to do with leg fatigue. It won't happen because if he were to get hurt they would be screwed

It happened to the Argonauts during their first game this year.Swayze Waters got hurt in the first quarter and the Argos had to go for it nearly every attempt and use a position player for Extra points.

I think he is like any of the other camp leg kickers we've brought in over the years.  A decent young kid who could probably kick at the NFL level but not better than what we have right now and not a guy you are going to try to stash to make sure you have him in the future.  If you lose him to another team you can probably get another kid like him next year.  Kickers don't get stashed on the practice squad because putting them there offers you no protection in keeping the kicker as any other team can sign him at any point and he doesn't help you practice other than subbing for your kicker and if you need to rest your kicker's leg you probably need a new kicker on the active roster. 

it has nothing to do with leg fatigue. It won't happen because if he were to get hurt they would be screwed

There is also the factor that McAfee was not a very good kicker in college. 

Yes he has a monster leg but he was not very accurate.  Now with that said he improved dramatically by his Senior Year so if has kept getting better (which is possible) then he might be an option at kicker but I would concerned about a guy who was only a 73% kicker in college at field goals and that went up following his 85% Senior Year before that he was only a 69% kicker in college. 

Why? Doing all three would still be much less than any professional soccer player. Maybe Pat will be the first.

I am friends with Norm Johnson, the former Seahawks kicker.  He told me he often laughs when people make too much of kickers kicking too much.  He said it is not any different than QBs throwing the ball 80 times a day.  He said there is no reason a kicker couldn't do all three.

I think he is like any of the other camp leg kickers we've brought in over the years.  A decent young kid who could probably kick at the NFL level but not better than what we have right now and not a guy you are going to try to stash to make sure you have him in the future.  If you lose him to another team you can probably get another kid like him next year.  Kickers don't get stashed on the practice squad because putting them there offers you no protection in keeping the kicker as any other team can sign him at any point and he doesn't help you practice other than subbing for your kicker and if you need to rest your kicker's leg you probably need a new kicker on the active roster. 

I would agree with you if it wasnt for the fact that adam is 40 and gonna be a FA next year

I would agree with you if it wasnt for the fact that adam is 40 and gonna be a FA next year

I have no real issue if we replace Adam when his contract is up, my point is I don't feel like we have to go all out to keep McManus because of that.  We can easily find another young kicker like McManus if we were to lose him to another team.  With that said if Adam walks or retires and McManus is on the market next year I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up as our kicker.

I am friends with Norm Johnson, the former Seahawks kicker.  He told me he often laughs when people make too much of kickers kicking too much.  He said it is not any different than QBs throwing the ball 80 times a day.  He said there is no reason a kicker couldn't do all three.

Yeah, it would be like a relief pitcher having to pitch once a week

As far as McAfee doing all three jobs, as awesome as it would be for him to be the first, I doubt that it will ever happen.  Too risky if something would happen to him in a game.  You would almost have to carry a back up for him on the roster just in case, and since you are carrying multiple P/K you might as well split the job duties.

He wouldn't be the first. It wasn't uncommon back in the day, and Michael Koenen did it for a few games in 2006 (on purpose, not as a result of injury). Then he couldn't produce as a kicker and they brought Morten Andersen in.

By the way, the quarterback throws the ball a lot more than 80 times a day. Between warmup, pregame, and staying loose on the sideline, the quarterback probably puts up 250-300 passes on a game day. Not all of those are full strength, but it's still taxing.