Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Interesting Bob Sanders note...

Indyfan4life

Ex-Colts and Chargers S Bob Sanders attended Broncos training camp Sunday, sitting in the VIP tent and alongside coach John Fox.

As far as we know, Sanders never formally retired, though it's hard to imagine him attempting a comeback at age 32. Last we heard from Sanders, he was being placed on I.R. by San Diego in September of 2011. He generated zero free agent buzz in 2012 or 2013. "Bullet Bob" spent eight years in the NFL.

Related: Broncos

Source: Lindsay Jones on Twitter Jul 28 - 1:13 PM

Think he might be attempting a comeback?

I would love to see Bob back in the league.  He hasn't played much recently, so hopefully his body has been given enough time to completely rest.  And perhaps he has tried some new rehab stuff to make his body less fragile.  And while he is 32, his many injuries have prevented him from playing all those games, so he has less mileage on him than an average 32 year old NFL player.  But this is all just wishful thinking on my part.  I would love to see him back in the NFL playing, but I think he could be a really good coach or scout.

I would love to see Bob back in the league.  He hasn't played much recently, so hopefully his body has been given enough time to completely rest.  And perhaps he has tried some new rehab stuff to make his body less fragile.  And while he is 32, his many injuries have prevented him from playing all those games, so he has less mileage on him than an average 32 year old NFL player.  But this is all just wishful thinking on my part.  I would love to see him back in the NFL playing, but I think he could be a really good coach or scout.

I dont see how a guy who's been out as long as he has can even play part time...

..but I sure would like to see him on Denver's roster just so he could be along for the ride...

I wasnt aware that Denver was looking for safety help...even after last year's playoff game..

I dont know of any connection he has to John Fox...either.....

..but if he's healthy enough to even think about playing..I'm glad to hear it...

I think the question would be something along the lines of .."how long or if ever the effects of certain things stop effecting the body with a lot of rest." I won't expound on this.

Even if he attempted a comeback, sadly it likely would not last very long.

But, perhaps he also just wanted to see what Peyton was up to and wanted to watch them practice.

Yup, there will be no NFL return. Sanders is done. I just don't see Bob as a coach personally as 21isSuperman suggests. The hours are long, tedious, & sleepless & I agree with something that ESPN's Skip Bayless always says "The more talented you are on the field as an athlete; the worse you typically are as a coach because talent can easily to you & the best teachers are rarely the best athletes." Just because Bob was great as a safety that doesn't mean that he can instruct other players in the secondary effectively. 

Yup, there will be no NFL return. Sanders is done. I just don't see Bob as a coach personally as 21isSuperman suggests. The hours are long, tedious, & sleepless & I agree with something that ESPN's Skip Bayless always says "The more talented you are on the field as an athlete; the worse you typically are as a coach because talent can easily to you & the best teachers are rarely the best athletes." Just because Bob was great as a safety that doesn't mean that he can instruct other players in the secondary effectively. 

That's Bayless nonsense...He repeats things often enough and peole start to believe them

...The majority of NBA coaches or GMs (a talent evaualtion and part time coaching role)  was a quality player....not a bench warmer

If Pat Riley is not the best GM in the NBA, Larry Bird is ...and Bird also coached the Pacers to the Eastern Conferene finals

Pat Riley was the SEC Player of the Year and the 6th man on the 1972 NBA title team...

He is the only man to win an NBA title as a player, coach and GM

People just forget who played...

Tony Dungy, Jim Harbaugh, Mike Ditka..all coached Super Bowl teams..all were long tiem starters.

Some call Ditka the best TE ever..others say its Hall-of-Fame tight end Ozzie Newsome..Baltimore's 2-time world champ GM

John Elway is the GM of Denver...one of the 5 best QBs of all time....Nolan Ryan (Hall of Fame) is the GM of World Series finalist Texas....

Bill Russell (top-10 center all-time) coached the Celtics to the NBA title..

Baseball's Mike Scoscia, Joe Girardi, Dusty Baker and Kirk Gibson  are all top managers

..all were all-stars... as was multiple champ Joe Torre..

Art Shell (Top-100 all-time) coached the Raiders to the playoffs 3 times and the AFC title game once..

Tom Flores coached the Raiders to the Super Bowl and he is the 5th leading passer in the history of the AFL

....so, you see...manyh coaches fail..many succeed...

It was nothing to do with their skill as players..Bob Sanders might be a good coach...but so might Jacob Lacey

Skip's 'theory' has almost no consistent basis in fact...but he keeps saying it...

That's what ESPN is all about..

Jeff Saturday is a FA right?

Saturday has slimmed down, happy in retirement, likes new job, staying retired ( & on a high note & great career in my respect both on & off the field ,what an undrafted FA he was )