Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck ranked #10 by Jaws in QB rankings

loudnproudcolt

How long has Schaub been in the league? Your comparing veteran stats to a rookie. You can't tell me you'd rather have Schaub at the helm than Luck.

If you want to know my preference feel free to read pages 1-3 of this thread. I don't want to get into another dogfight over this tired debate.

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to know my preference feel free to read pages 1-3 of this thread. I don't want to get into another dogfight over this tired debate.

I apologize, I didn't realize this thread was 12 pages long when I posted that lol.

I really don't feel like reading through what can only be 12 pages of nothingness, so I'll just concede that you win :)

Fair enough, but it also seems like you are refusing to acknowledge the framework that Pagano had already put in place, they were both responsible for what the Colts achieved. "Fail to prepare, prepare to fail." Pagano had spent 8 months preparing his team, and whilst Arians did a sensational job (which I fully acknowledge), he did not do it alone, and thus COY should have been shared with Pagano at least.

It's not that hard to argue with. Luck was considered the most NFL-ready QB to come out since Elway, and that was down to Stanford's system suiting him down to the ground. Arians system was very very different. However, I have already said I liked Arians system, I believe Luck would have adapted longterm if the right pieces were put around him and a running game was better established, but last season he seemed uncomfortable unless it was in the last 2 minutes of games and he had more control of what he did. I can see what Grigson and Pagano were trying to do by bringing Arians is, his QBs of the past loved him, but some statements made by both men this off-season would indicate that they are happy to move to a more appropriate system for Luck's sake.

No, it isn't laughable, you just misinterpreted its premise. I never said a GM/Owner would place any presedence on it... but fans will. Which is why, in my mind, a lot of fans hated the Arians system. Again, I believe in its merits, with the correct personnel in place. However, a lot of fans (both Steelers and Colts) will have problems with an offense that are not stat-friendly to its QB, which is what I attribute to a lot of the negativity toward Arians.

It is the system he flourished in at Stanford, the reason he was so heralded coming out. It seems as if you believe Luck is a good QB, who could do really well in a specific system. Though, perhaps with a glint of bias, I would argue that he is potentially great, who would strive in any offense given his complete skillset, however, if you really study him, it is clear that a West-Coast type system, the utlizes play-action and no-huddle, makes the most of his tangibles and intangibles.

In parting, whilst I think this new offense we are installing will potentially be a great thing for Luck, I do not believe he could have had a better baptism of fire than Arians gave him last year. He was far from perfect, but a lot was asked of him, and that experience will stand to him. Russell Wilson was much more efficient but was not asked to do as much... I would rather take Luck with all his incompletions and interceptions because the experience he gained is something that cannot be bought.

Again, good points. Still, I would think Colts fans would want wins over stats. I mean would it have made you happier if Luck threw half as many picks and had a 65 percent completion percentage like RG but the Colts only won 8 games and no playoffs? But then again, I know you Colts fans like your stats and division titles over the hardware ... lol.

Again, good points. Still, I would think Colts fans would want wins over stats. I mean would it have made you happier if Luck threw half as many picks and had a 65 percent completion percentage like RG but the Colts only won 8 games and no playoffs? But then again, I know you Colts fans like your stats and division titles over the hardware ... lol.

maybe we should video tape defensive coaches signs.

Why should it have to be one way or the other? Why can't we have a more efficient passing game and still win enough games to go to the playoffs? Passing efficiency usually makes winning easier, not harder...

Like superman said, it doesn't have to be one or the other, though that does seem to be your apparent philosophy concerning, well, everything.  I think the point is that if the colts can win 11 games with the stats that Luck had last year, then it would stand to reason that they could win even more games with improved passing efficiency.  Improved efficiency means more sustained drives and fewer punts.  It means the defense can stay on the sidelines a little bit longer each drive allowing them to be more well rested.  It means a lot of things but one thing it doesn't mean is LESS wins.  :loco:

Worked for Peyton, (1 year of Arians).  I'm certain Luck improved his scope of skills dramatically because of it.  But it is time to get an efficient playbook the youngsters on the team can learn and execute well as Luck grows and is given more free reign. Hopefully Pep's hybrid becomes as effective and a touch more balanced than the Sean Payton / Drew Brees offense. Next to the Tom Moore / Peyton Manning offense, it is one of my favorite to watch.

Personally, (and I hate saying this given present company) for me I would love to see a Josh Daniels offense in place. Whilst he is an iffy HC, I genuinely consider him the best OC in the league. Yes, he has an elite QB to work with, but last year the Patriots had one of the best, most versatile and ultimately most efficient/effective offenses in the history of the league.

I see the Colts potentially developing in the same light... lots of Dink and Dunk, spreading the ball around to players with favorable match-ups, loads of play-action, plenty of no huddle to keep good match-ups on the field, loads of pre-snap motion and an efficient run game. I believe the way Grigson has approached the draft and FA these last two years, that he is of a similar mind-set. Versatility is the key to this sort of offense being effective. Of course you need a very tuned-in and accurate QB to make this happen, I think we have that.

Why should it have to be one way or the other? Why can't we have a more efficient passing game and still win enough games to go to the playoffs? Passing efficiency usually makes winning easier, not harder...

Who said it has to be one or the other. Antone's point was that the fans want better stats from Luck so they can brag on him I guess. My point is if the team is winning ala the Ravens then who cares what the Qbs stats are. I think you are expecting an awful lot from Luck and his new OC in year two. It will be very difficult for them to win 11 games again and sig. improve's Luck's stats. He is still a year two guy and most year two guys struggle in their second season ... not to mention the tougher schedule.

Personally, (and I hate saying this given present company) for me I would love to see a Josh Daniels offense in place. Whilst he is an iffy HC, I genuinely consider him the best OC in the league. Yes, he has an elite QB to work with, but last year the Patriots had one of the best, most versatile and ultimately most efficient/effective offenses in the history of the league.

I see the Colts potentially developing in the same light... lots of Dink and Dunk, spreading the ball around to players with favorable match-ups, loads of play-action, plenty of no huddle to keep good match-ups on the field, loads of pre-snap motion and an efficient run game. I believe the way Grigson has approached the draft and FA these last two years, that he is of a similar mind-set. Versatility is the key to this sort of offense being effective. Of course you need a very tuned-in and accurate QB to make this happen, I think we have that.

I hear you on this but McDaniels stepped into a well-oiled machine that was built primarily by Belichick, Weiss, and Brady. I think he is a very good OC but the Pats run one of the most complex offenses around which is why it scores the way it does. Much of that has to do with Brady IMO. This is not to say Luck could not run a complex offense but not sure that is a good idea right now.

AM please go back and WATCH the Colts of 2012.      Luck was SPECTACULAR when they went no huddle / hurry up.   

The team struggled when they were constantly in 2nd and 3rd and long.     They could not run effectively.   So a lot of the load fell on Luck.    Which "should" have been a recipe for disaster.     BUT, it wasn't.  Luck made things happen late in games.   When the staff turned him loose this team moved the ball.

I recall last season from mid way on many wanting the Colts to go more hurry up.    and they never did until they were forced to.

Maybe this had more to do with the D than Luck's ability?   I'm not in house, but I suspect we will see a lot of no huddle this season.

Heck Arians is on record as saying that Manning was not capable of running "no huddle" until his second year, and Luck was doing it in the pre season.   I just don't understand why Indy did not run with it.

Oh well....  

I hear you on this but McDaniels stepped into a well-oiled machine that was built primarily by Belichick, Weiss, and Brady. I think he is a very good OC but the Pats run one of the most complex offenses around which is why it scores the way it does. Much of that has to do with Brady IMO. This is not to say Luck could not run a complex offense but not sure that is a good idea right now.

AM please go back and WATCH the Colts of 2012.      Luck was SPECTACULAR when they went no huddle / hurry up.   

The team struggled when they were constantly in 2nd and 3rd and long.     They could not run effectively.   So a lot of the load fell on Luck.    Which "should" have been a recipe for disaster.     BUT, it wasn't.  Luck made things happen late in games.   When the staff turned him loose this team moved the ball.

I recall last season from mid way on many wanting the Colts to go more hurry up.    and they never did until they were forced to.

Maybe this had more to do with the D than Luck's ability?   I'm not in house, but I suspect we will see a lot of no huddle this season.

Heck Arians is on record as saying that Manning was not capable of running "no huddle" until his second year, and Luck was doing it in the pre season.   I just don't understand why Indy did not run with it.

Oh well....  

Yes, I would suspect the defense as well. When a team is ahead they go into the prevent so the hurry up has much more success.

I would not put too much stock in the Manning comment as Manning was dealing with completely different defensive rules then Luck. I think Luck will do fine  and has great intangibles but his play will need to be much more consistent and his decision-making better for the Colts to get back to 11 wins. And dont forget that teams now have 17 games of tape on him so the defenses will also play him better as well. Still, I think he will have the best year 2 of the young guns although I think Wilson has tremedous upside as well.

Belichick of course played a part, and Weiss was a good mentor, but the Patriots offense was never as good with Weiss at the helm. The Super Bowl years had the balance of a very good offense and a great defense. The 2007 and 2012 Pats offenses were two of the best ever, and it is no coincidence that McDaniels was at the helm.

Luck is known for his almost photographic memory and ability to digest large amounts of information, I think a complex offense suits him down to the ground. His Football IQ is arguably his best attribute. If the team plan on building their current playbook for the long-term, why not throw it all out there now and see what sticks.

Belichick of course played a part, and Weiss was a good mentor, but the Patriots offense was never as good with Weiss at the helm. The Super Bowl years had the balance of a very good offense and a great defense. The 2007 and 2012 Pats offenses were two of the best ever, and it is no coincidence that McDaniels was at the helm.

Luck is known for his almost photographic memory and ability to digest large amounts of information, I think a complex offense suits him down to the ground. His Football IQ is arguably his best attribute. If the team plan on building their current playbook for the long-term, why not throw it all out there now and see what sticks.

Not sure about that. Pats offense under Weiss was pretty dynamic. In 2001 they ranked sixth in points in scored. I think McDaniels had much better offensive talent to work with but I do agree he is a very good OC. I think he lacks in adjustments though which is where Weiss was supreme and why the Pats did not falter in the playoffs the years he was OC.

Not sure about Luck just yet. He may get there but I think simplier is better for a young guy who took an awful lot of hits last year.

What are you talking about?

"Colts fans want stats over wins?"    Seriously...  

You don't know squat about anything Colt related.     

I don't get your logic one bit.   

Colt fans simply understand the "why" of Andrew Luck's stats.       He played poorly at times, but at other times the team was asking for a lot out a rookie QB.     Sometimes they got it, and some they didn't.

You are on a Colt board, don't you think it is only natural for a Colt fan to defend their starting QB.       

What are you talking about?

"Colts fans want stats over wins?"    Seriously...  

You don't know squat about anything Colt related.     

I don't get your logic one bit.   

Colt fans simply understand the "why" of Andrew Luck's stats.       He played poorly at times, but at other times the team was asking for a lot out a rookie QB.     Sometimes they got it, and some they didn't.

You are on a Colt board, don't you think it is only natural for a Colt fan to defend their starting QB.       

We already discussed this John a few pages back. I get the Colt mentalty now. I know those divisonal titles mean an awful lot as well as the league MVPs ...

We already discussed this John a few pages back. I get the Colt mentalty now. I know those divisonal titles mean an awful lot as well as the league MVPs ...

Saying colts fans like division titles and stats over hardware was pretty lame

Who said it has to be one or the other. Antone's point was that the fans want better stats from Luck so they can brag on him I guess. My point is if the team is winning ala the Ravens then who cares what the Qbs stats are. I think you are expecting an awful lot from Luck and his new OC in year two. It will be very difficult for them to win 11 games again and sig. improve's Luck's stats. He is still a year two guy and most year two guys struggle in their second season ... not to mention the tougher schedule.

I don't really care about being able to brag about Andrew Luck. I want him to be more efficient because it's good for the team. A higher completion percentage and fewer sacks should be beneficial, overall.

Not sure if you've really paid attention to what Year 2 quarterbacks do, especially the good quarterbacks. The sophomore slump is more folklore than reality. Tougher schedule will have an impact, for sure.

But bottom line is that I'm not expecting the Colts to win 11 games again. I hope they do, but I'm not sure what to expect just yet. I think last year was really weird and abnormal, and this year might not provide the net tangible improvement that a lot of people hope to see. But I do think Luck will be more efficient and more effective, and I hope that translates to more points for the offense and fewer hits on the quarterback. 

You're just being a troll at this point

ok. It is just me. Just calling it like I see it. There is an awful lot of stat discussion up here that you would think that trumps winning Perhaps that is the difference between a fanbase that is used to winning divisional champs and one that wins SBs. I would rather have Brady have the worse season of his career and win the fourth ring but no chance here. Luck has to win AND have gaudy stats too. Like I said, a lot of pressure already for a second year guy who has taken a ton of his and has a new OC.

Yes, I would suspect the defense as well. When a team is ahead they go into the prevent so the hurry up has much more success.

I would not put too much stock in the Manning comment as Manning was dealing with completely different defensive rules then Luck. I think Luck will do fine  and has great intangibles but his play will need to be much more consistent and his decision-making better for the Colts to get back to 11 wins. And dont forget that teams now have 17 games of tape on him so the defenses will also play him better as well. Still, I think he will have the best year 2 of the young guns although I think Wilson has tremedous upside as well.

Hmmmm...   So I guess you put "NO STOCK" in this comment from the OC you so vehemently defend?

"Arians, who was Peyton Manning’s position coach during his 1998 rookie season, said Luck “is playing at a level that far exceeds where he should be at this time." Arians said Luck’s development is ahead of Manning’s."

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-10-09/indianapolis-colts-andrew-luck-peyton-manning-fantasy-football-stats-week-6-qb?modid=recommended_5_5

ok. It is just me. Just calling it like I see it. There is an awful lot of stat discussion up here that you would think that trumps winning Perhaps that is the difference between a fanbase that is used to winning divisional champs and one that wins SBs. I would rather have Brady have the worse season of his career and win the fourth ring but no chance here. Luck has to win AND have gaudy stats too. Like I said, a lot of pressure already for a second year guy who has taken a ton of his and has a new OC.

No, you are just unable or unwilling to understand what people are saying.

Hmmmm...   So I guess you put "NO STOCK" in this comment from the OC you so vehemently defend?

"Arians, who was Peyton Manning’s position coach during his 1998 rookie season, said Luck “is playing at a level that far exceeds where he should be at this time." Arians said Luck’s development is ahead of Manning’s."

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-10-09/indianapolis-colts-andrew-luck-peyton-manning-fantasy-football-stats-week-6-qb?modid=recommended_5_5

sure but I think u have to take it with a grain of salt given the different rules.

2004 was a LONG time ago...

Bruschy, Law, McGinnis, and Seymour are not walking through that door anytime soon.

I agree with Blood you are trolling at this point.      

This is just silly. No one said anything about Luck having gaudy stats. Fact of the matter is that Luck being more efficient will help the team win. We were lucky to have won 11 games last year, and if Luck doesn't improve on 54%, 18 interceptions and 41 sacks, and if the offense doesn't do better than 51% in the red zone, we're not going to make the playoffs again.

No one is saying Luck has to shatter all the passing records in order for us to be happy. In fact, most realize that Luck's attempts and yards should go down, as a reflection of a more balanced and efficient offense.

Oh well....  

As far as I remember Arians always said that the problem wasn't Luck, it was the other 10 guys who weren't ready. 

“He can handle the entire playbook and no huddle, everything,” Arians said. “We’ve been taking baby steps with the no huddle part of it because of the rest of the guys. I have to watch myself. I fall into this trap with a smart quarterback, go head over heels, putting stuff in. The rest of the coaches say, ‘Hey coach, my guys can’t learn that. You have to slow down man.’ We can’t judge it off him because his learning curve is so fast. I have to judge it off the tight ends and receivers and running backs so we don’t get the quarterback killed.”

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-6248.html

But then that was what he said in Pittsburgh when he was being asked about the lack of no huddle.

Roethlisberger said Wednesday he would like to go no-huddle more frequently than the Steelers have through the first six games.

The Steelers have employed their no-huddle twice this season, with Roethlisberger completing 6 of 13 passes for 86 yards.

Arians chuckled when asked if he has resisted the no-huddle because it takes play-calling duties away from him.

"No, I have all the trust in the world in (Roethlisberger) calling the plays," said Arians, who added the Steelers prepare to use a no-huddle in the third or fourth series of a game if they need it. "It's the other 10 guys in the huddle functioning properly at that speed. (Roethlisberger) can play that a whole lot faster than the other 10 guys. When I see everybody playing as fast as he does in the no-huddle, then I think we'll be more than ready.”

http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_763016.html

Since he's gone on record saying that saying that play calling is what he loves most about coaching so I always figured "the other 10 guys" talk was just an excuse. If college kids can figure out how to run a no huddle, I think NFL guys can manage.

I don't really care about being able to brag about Andrew Luck. I want him to be more efficient because it's good for the team. A higher completion percentage and fewer sacks should be beneficial, overall.

Not sure if you've really paid attention to what Year 2 quarterbacks do, especially the good quarterbacks. The sophomore slump is more folklore than reality. Tougher schedule will have an impact, for sure.

But bottom line is that I'm not expecting the Colts to win 11 games again. I hope they do, but I'm not sure what to expect just yet. I think last year was really weird and abnormal, and this year might not provide the net tangible improvement that a lot of people hope to see. But I do think Luck will be more efficient and more effective, and I hope that translates to more points for the offense and fewer hits on the quarterback. 

Exactly...       The team has improved..  how much is yet to be know.   

But i think they really improved in 2 KEY areas,  run D and run O/ OL.    This is HUGE.      Control the ball and it benefits the QB, and the D.         I am cautiously optimistic, a lot of question marks but all in all I am very satisfied where this team is sitting RIGHT NOW.

Cardinal...  EXCELLENT CALL...   on Arians saying everyone else was not up to speed with Luck.. 

I do remember that quote.      Something like "Luck is ready to run it, but to run it everyone else needs to be able to.  and they are not"       And he spoke of how many rookies the O was playing.   Andrew being ready and the rest not so.....

Thanks for bringing that up...        

And yes I agree on the play calling..   Arians has a big EGO.      And I thought he was holding Luck back towards the end of the year.

As far as I remember Arians always said that the problem wasn't Luck, it was the other 10 guys who weren't ready. 

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-6248.html

But then that was what he said in Pittsburgh when he was being asked about the lack of no huddle.

http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_763016.html

Since he's gone on record saying that saying that play calling is what he loves most about coaching so I always figured "the other 10 guys" talk was just an excuse. If college kids can figure out how to run a no huddle, I think NFL guys can manage.

Exactly...       The team has improved..  how much is yet to be know.   

But i think they really improved in 2 KEY areas,  run D and run O/ OL.    This is HUGE.      Control the ball and it benefits the QB, and the D.         I am cautiously optimistic, a lot of question marks but all in all I am very satisfied where this team is sitting RIGHT NOW.

Yeah, I can't imagine the team not being better. The question marks exist primarily with the development of the young guys and the contributions of the free agents. But I feel good about the team in 2013. I just don't think that improvement is going to be reflected in the record. 

is it? I would suspect some here would trade in Manning's ring for a fifth league MVP. Whereas Pats fans would trade in both of Brady's MVPs for a fourth ring.

lmao.

That's a bunch of hyperbole. No one would trade a ring for an MVP.

Arians wasn't the coordinator, nor was he calling plays. He was just the QB coach. It was Tom Moore's offense, which always included the backs in the passing game. Faulk's 86 catches is way on the high end, but that was a much bigger part of Moore's offense.

True, but BA was QB coach then  and mentoring position for both.  Moore did throw twice as often to the RB's as BA (about 60+ /gm).  BA doesn't believe in RB passes so much.  They are to generally block or run.

Give me one example of any "RESPECTED"   COLT FAN SAYING THEY PREFER "INDIVIDUAL ACCOLADES"  over team success.

Please  do...  

You are stereotyping this entire fan base because you read maybe one or two posters pimping stats over WINS?

First off...  produce the posts, I would love to see the who and content... 

Second ..  you are so off base it is comical.    And so many veteran posters are trying to tell you so in a "polite" way.   Yet you refuse to even consider that maybe a Colt fan may ...  just might know what they are talking about.

Typical arrogant Pat fan...    

Enjoy the twilight of Brady's career.    Mallott or Tebow should fit in just fine with the Patriot way when Tommy can't carry you any longer.

Give me one example of any "RESPECTED"   COLT FAN SAYING THEY PREFER "INDIVIDUAL ACCOLADES"  over team success.

Please  do...  

You are stereotyping this entire fan base because you read maybe one or two posters pimping stats over WINS?

First off...  produce the posts, I would love to see the who and content... 

Second ..  you are so off base it is comical.    And so many veteran posters are trying to tell you so in a "polite" way.   Yet you refuse to even consider that maybe a Colt fan may ...  just might know what they are talking about.

Typical arrogant Pat fan...    

Enjoy the twilight of Brady's career.    Mallott or Tebow should fit in just fine with the Patriot way when Tommy can't carry you any longer.

is that a double dog dare? lol. Calm down man. It is just a post board. No one's opinion on anything is gospel. Try to have some fun here. Maybe this will help :cheer2: