Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Most Underrated / Overrated Colts of all time (merge)

CR91

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check Peyton Mannings personal stats the most consistent Qb to ever play the game. in the top category in all phases of his position. Superbowls playoffs and regular season wins all come down as a team effort he did not win them on his own nor did he lose them on his own. Another note Bob Sanders doesn't belong on the overrated list either injury prone or not he was as advertised when indeed on the field .

.....to the team that won the SB

that is a good argument since 4 of the one and dones were to a super team or the one that won the super bowl, but then you have teams like the chargers, dolphins and jets

And to think the article started out so well....their underrated list left little to argue about although Jeff Herrod deserved mention among Indianapolis era players....he was always very solid on some of our lousier teams. And the Jeff George overrated pick had plenty of merit considering what we gave up for him at #1 overall.

After that...they crapped the bed.

These are my Top 5 overrated Colts.....and IMO, chronically injured guys who delivered REAL impact but were cut short by injury don't count.

#1 - QB Jeff George....I agree with this, we badly overpaid to draft him and he was one big pain in the caboose almost the entire time. On balance, we'd have been better off keeping Chris Hinton and Andre Rison....even though Rison was a thug in his own right.

#2 - LB Quentin Coryatt....a monster at Texas A&M, ordinary in the NFL after being drafted #2 overall. Couldn't secure the INT in the closing minutes of that playoff thriller against Pittsburgh which would have sent us to the Super Bowl.

#3 - WR Shawn Dawkins....drafted #16 overall, Dawkins is that 6'4" 215lb "tall WR" many Colts fans whine that we never have. Well....he never reached 70 receptions or 1000 yards per season or 10 TDs per season, including 3 of his 9 seasons playing with Peyton Manning and having Marvin Harrison on the other side for 6 of them. For a #16 overall pick, I'd say he was overrated.

#4 - RT Ryan Diem....his 2005 contract was among the highest at the time for a RT. It was average players like this getting paid far above their worth that left us short in other areas when the regular season ended and we had to play playoff-caliber defenses.

#5 - GM Bill Polian....see #4 and the host of other average players retained with cap-straining contracts, as well as Polian's deplorable O-Line talent evaluation, his late-career 1st round busts and a brazen level of nepotism that would make Buckingham Palace blush. The "organizational philosophy" of chucking the undefeated season was another gem. Oh...he had his moments and his accolades....but also had plenty of faults that Colts fans for many years were, and in some cases still are, blind to.

that is a good argument since 4 of the one and dones were to a super team or the one that won the super bowl, but then you have teams like the chargers, dolphins and jets

For a few years there the Chargers may have had the best roster in football. Plus, they were a team that always gave the Colts trouble.

Colts offense scored with little time left in the 4th vs the Jets. It wasn't Manning's fault the special teams gave up a long return to Cromartie and the head coach called a very questionable timeout.

Dolphins loss was just bad. I didn't understand the offensive game plan by manning and moore for that game.

For a few years there the Chargers may have had the best roster in football. Plus, they were a team that always gave the Colts trouble.

Colts offense scored with little time left in the 4th vs the Jets. It wasn't Manning's fault the special teams gave up a long return to Cromartie and the head coach called a very questionable timeout.

Dolphins loss was just bad. I didn't understand the offensive game plan by manning and moore for that game.

regardless chargers never made the superbowl and your forgetting the 41-0 beat down

regardless chargers never made the superbowl and your forgetting the 41-0 beat down

That Colts team that got pounded by the Jets was not very good. If I remember correctly, they backed into the playoffs when three other teams screwed the poach the last couple weeks of the season. Even my dumb*** saw that butt kicking coming....granted not a 41-0. The one good thing that came from that game was Manning going to Dungy and changing the offense.

Every single "best "Indianapolis" colts players ever" lists Peyton is no 1. How is he overrated?

Whenever i think of the value of Peyton Manning i just have to think of the words of Ray Lewis in the top 100 players of all time.

"You can put in whatever piece you want with 18, 18 will make it work; all he says is just find your way open, I'll get the ball there. And that's where the Reggie Wayne's, the Dallas Clark's, the Marvin Harrison's; that's how dominant he is. If you take him out of the game, no disrespect to nobody else on the Colts, but you make them a very below-average ball club."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/616832-ray-lewis-jim-irsay-beg-to-differ-about-the-caliber-of-peyton-mannings-colts

Also Sanders isn't overrated imo, just injured.

That Colts team that got pounded by the Jets was not very good. If I remember correctly, they backed into the playoffs when three other teams screwed the poach the last couple weeks of the season. Even my dumb*** saw that butt kicking coming....granted not a 41-0. The one good thing that came from that game was Manning going to Dungy and changing the offense.

peyton's name in history will have an asterisk next to it. greatest regular season qb of all time. his woes in the playoffs and his one champion will keep him from ever being the best.

peyton's name in history will have an asterisk next to it. greatest regular season qb of all time. his woes in the playoffs and his one champion will keep him from ever being the best.

So a player who isn't the greatest of all time has an asterisk next to it?

You could have just been more straight forward with your opinion of manning from the beginning.

Yes because that one championship doesn't count.

So a player who isn't the greatest of all time has an asterisk next to it?

You could have just been more straight forward with your opinion of manning from the beginning.

just because he use to be a colt doesnt mean I cant have an objective opinion. peyton is god in indiana and I understand that, but not everyone is and some people will point out the holes in peyton's resume even if some people dont want to.

peyton is like marty schottenheimer. id want him for the regular season, but not for the playoffs

You think Bill Belicheck is winning playoff games with Bill Kenny, Dave Kreig, Steve Bono, Steve DeBerg and Elvis Grbac? Not to mention he was the victim of "the drive" and "the fumble" while in Cleveland.

Yes because that one championship doesn't count.

you know who else has one championship? lebron was never considered the best of all time until now that hes won two rings. its the business their in. your legacy grows when you win.

You think Bill Belicheck is winning playoff games with Bill Kenny, Dave Kreig, Steve Bono, Steve DeBerg and Elvis Grbac? Not to mention he was the victim of "the drive" and "the fumble" while in Cleveland.

he did have koser and at one point brees who is now considered a HOFer.

just because he use to be a colt doesnt mean I cant have an objective opinion. peyton is god in indiana and I understand that, but not everyone is and some people will point out the holes in peyton's resume even if some people dont want to.

Ok. I have stated on this board that Tom Brady is the greatest of all time...so don't attempt me paint me as a Peyton worshiper. You just want a simple outlook on ones career based on a teams wins and losses.....when it is often far more complicated than that.

I can recall people that kind of talk with John Elway before he won at the end of his career. I even remember people claiming Jordan wasn't a winner like Magic and Bird because he team couldnt win it all. A lot of it is just media inspired hog wash.

you know who else has one championship? lebron was never considered the best of all time until now that hes won two rings. its the business their in. your legacy grows when you win.

He still isn't the best of all time....unless you live in Miami.

he did have koser and at one point brees who is now considered a HOFer.

When he had Kosar he lost to Elway and "the drive" and "the fumble"......those are just two hard to take losses for any coach.

In SD it wasn't his fault he was fired after going 14-2 because AJ Smith is a buffoon. And Drew Brees was far from a HOF before his arm magically got stronger and he met Sean Payton.

When he had Kosar he lost to Elway and "the drive" and "the fumble"......those are just two hard to take losses for any coach.

In SD it wasn't his fault he was fired after going 14-2 because AJ Smith is a buffoon. And Drew Brees was far from a HOF before his arm magically got stronger and he met Sean Payton.

marty still had his playoff woes just like peyton. i dont know what the saints did to turn brees to what he is now, but obviously the chargers dropped the ball.

Ok. I have stated on this board that Tom Brady is the greatest of all time...so don't attempt me paint me as a Peyton worshiper. You just want a simple outlook on ones career based on a teams wins and losses.....when it is often far more complicated than that.

I can recall people that kind of talk with John Elway before he won at the end of his career. I even remember people claiming Jordan wasn't a winner like Magic and Bird because he team couldnt win it all. A lot of it is just media inspired hog wash.

peyton will have his name in the record book for his stats, but not for his playoff or championship legacy. i put peyton in the same pool as brett favre

I find Jeff George's inclusion even more shocking.

When has anyone ever rated him enough for him to gather up enough acclaim to be overrated?

The day he was drafted....the Colts front office did. :lol:

And trading two Pro Bowlers to get him fueled the fire. We can't say he was a complete bust because he did rack up some numbers....at times.

But his complete lack of leadership over what was a fairly lengthy career and little or no post-season success puts him in the overrated category. I think its legit.

I know. But one great basketball player can have a much bigger impact on his team than one great football player.

true. some teams can continue their great play without their star player aka the pats, but the saints really missed sean payton and then theres our 2011 season

Both are male, both have hair, both are US citizens....

None of those things however mean they are in the same league in terms of talent.

your downplaying their comparison. not saying favre mentally dissected defenses like peyton, but I think history will pair them together for what they have done in this league.

your downplaying their comparison. not saying favre mentally dissected defenses like peyton, but I think history will pair them together for what they have done in this league.

I think you are in a very small minority in that thinking