Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indianapolis 30th Season Logo

Fx Stryker

I actually like the logo because it does not have 1953-1983 included. I also appreciate Jim Irsay only putting one diamond on the 2006 Indy Colts Super Bowl ring. It showed some class. This may have been because Baltimore was awarded the Super Bowl 5 trophy in the City of Baltimore/ Colts settlement.

Being from Baltimore, I think it's funny how Indy people think just because the Colts have been in Indy longer than Baltimore, somehow magically the move will never be brought up anymore.Unfortunately, whether you like the move or not, it will remain a topic in some circles. The way the logo is, that is how I view the Indianapolis Colts vs. Baltimore Colt eras. I see them as seperate, distinct eras, although I realize it is considered one franchise. All in all, a nice logo.

That circle just needs to let go, there's enough stress in the world to deal with than adding that to it.

Recognition and respect, my good man; no more, no less. Regarding to your link, read between the lines. Read the first sentence of the letter again and recognize the team's need to send a letter in the first place. I did not make the news, nor was it ever substantiated; I simply asked if you remembered it. A memo going to such great lengths to explain management's actions was done for a reason. Namely, that there were a number of rumors swirling around during that time.

Look, I seek neither to vindicate my position or condemn yours. Old Crow said it best: "...While distinct, separate eras, they are inescapably linked. It remains the same Colt franchise from years ago.....whether you like it or not. And there will be those who will bring up the move from time to time. Their voice is no less legitimate than yours.

Tell 'im, Stryker..Case closed.

Respect and recognition of the history of the colts in Baltimore, fine I get that and I do. But that's never how it's brought up. Anytime it's brought up to me, it's in a way to undermine the legitimacy of the current colts. Like "Well you know they were in Baltimore first," or "we'll the Indy colts only have 1 ring cause the other was in Baltimore." It's like really bro, I never knew that, my world is forever changed! Then it's followed by some sort of comment about the Irsay family being somehow at fault or horrible in some manner. My response is one if two things. Dude you weren't even born yet, or it was 30 years ago, don't you think it's time to let go?

I don't not respect the history of the colts in Baltimore. I just get tired of this resentment for it.

Respect and recognition of the history of the colts in Baltimore, fine I get that and I do. But that's never how it's brought up. Anytime it's brought up to me, it's in a way to undermine the legitimacy of the current colts. Like "Well you know they were in Baltimore first," or "we'll the Indy colts only have 1 ring cause the other was in Baltimore." It's like really bro, I never knew that, my world is forever changed! Then it's followed by some sort of comment about the Irsay family being somehow at fault or horrible in some manner. My response is one if two things. Dude you weren't even born yet, or it was 30 years ago, don't you think it's time to let go?

I don't not respect the history of the colts in Baltimore. I just get tired of this resentment for it.

The funny thing is Pac2 posted the logo on a Raven's facebook and told Baltimore people to get over it. Look, I've got a good sense of humor, and I know its a good old fashioned ribbing. But when you do these things, what do you expect the Baltimore fan to say ? Should we say as a fan, because they have been in Indy for close to 30 years, now is the time to get over it. Bob Irsay put  a good product on the field, or we're glad Indy took our logos and team history. If I put a , Lets get Art Modell in the Hall of Fame, on a Cleveland facebook, how would that go over ? Think about it, the Baltimore fan didn't start the eminent domain suit, or failed to build a stadium. The fan is just resentful that they lost their team's colors, history, and Hall of Famers.

That being said, it's getting a lot better. The playoff game atmosphere is 2012 was much less abrasive than 2006. Colts were put on the scoreboard, instead of Indy. I think the tough thing for the Baltimore fan is that you feel disenfranchised from your own history. If you go to the Hall of Fame the busts say Baltimore Colts, but the players are under the Indianapolis Colts section. I understand why they do it that way because of the franchise, but for many Baltimore fans it is a slap in the face. I understand to a lot of forum members here, it's just the Colts. I get it. For many in Baltimore though, it's still Baltimore Colts, and the Indianapolis Colts are seen as a different team that started in 1984. That being said, I think the resentment is dying down as time passes.

One point about the comment about 1 ring, etc. You're as likely to hear this from a Steeler or Patriots fan, as you would from someone from Baltimore. We hear the same thing in Baltimore if we bring up the old Championships. I don't care what those other goofs say, I like the Baltimore Colts, and will always tout their accomplishments. I think with the rise of the NFL Channel, the top ten lists, and the like, Indy fans are more exposed to the old history of the Baltimore Colts. If they like that history, it's all good with me. I'm not an Indy Colts fan, but I sure enjoyed watching Peyton Manning. I had the pleasure of seeing Luck in person this year in Baltimore, and thought he was a heck of a rookie quarterback. I think some of the comments about the move, one ring, etc, is just bantering between fans. If it wasn't that, it would be something else.

I have been reading the multitude of comments on what I originally posted. A wide variety of opinions on the subject and all stating very good opinions. I have loved "The Colts" since I was a kid, many, many years ago. I remember the Colts first Super Bowl win. With Unitas, Mackey, Berry, And my favorite, Curtis. I see the history of the Colts as everything of the Colts. Baltimore and Indy. What I am having issue with is the way Baltimore has been so fixated on hating the "Indy Colts" that it seems a bit disrespectful to the Ravens. I mean, it took until last years game for them to put Colts on the scoreboard. You don't see St Louis refusing to put Cardinals on the scoreboard at the Rams-Cardinals game, do you? I can't be sure if Cleveland refuses to put Ravens up or not. But even in Ravens stadium they have a Colts Ring of Honor. You know that has got to get under the skin of current and past Ravens. What I was trying to say when I posted is I am proud to be part of the storied history of the Colts, yes thirty years in Indy, but also born in 1953. Ravens people, love your Ravens, Colts people love our Colts all 61 seasons of them.

. As a businessman, Irsay did what most businessmen would do; he left for a sweeter deal. 

It's not a matter of a sweeter deal, it was a matter of if he didn't move the team he would've no longer had a team PERIOD.  The lack of a stadium set up for football, the fact that all parking and concession sales went to the Orioles (even during football season), and the fact that the state was going to take the team away were all factors into him leaving.  

Put yourself in his situation and ask yourself if you would've done the same.  My guess is you would've called Mayor Hudnut and got the Mayflower trucks rolling your way too.

I have been reading the multitude of comments on what I originally posted. A wide variety of opinions on the subject and all stating very good opinions. I have loved "The Colts" since I was a kid, many, many years ago. I remember the Colts first Super Bowl win. With Unitas, Mackey, Berry, And my favorite, Curtis. I see the history of the Colts as everything of the Colts. Baltimore and Indy. What I am having issue with is the way Baltimore has been so fixated on hating the "Indy Colts" that it seems a bit disrespectful to the Ravens. I mean, it took until last years game for them to put Colts on the scoreboard. You don't see St Louis refusing to put Cardinals on the scoreboard at the Rams-Cardinals game, do you? I can't be sure if Cleveland refuses to put Ravens up or not. But even in Ravens stadium they have a Colts Ring of Honor. You know that has got to get under the skin of current and past Ravens. What I was trying to say when I posted is I am proud to be part of the storied history of the Colts, yes thirty years in Indy, but also born in 1953. Ravens people, love your Ravens, Colts people love our Colts all 61 seasons of them.

Were you born, or from Baltimore ? Just curious. I think with the Ravens second Super Bowl win, a lot of that old anti-Indy fervor has died down a lot. I've seen it personally, as I was at the 2006 and 2012 games. Most people in Baltimore are never going to like it, no fan ever would, but they have learned to live with it. Most sports fans love nostalgia, throwbacks, and the like. The Baltimore Colts to us our a cool throwback to our city's history. Understand, most Baltimore fans love the Baltimore Colts and the Baltimore Ravens. I think Cleveland is still very aggravated with us, and I get it, but they would be even madder if we became the Baltimore Browns with their colors. That move was 1996, so it's still a little fresher.

It's not a matter of a sweeter deal, it was a matter of if he didn't move the team he would've no longer had a team PERIOD.  The lack of a stadium set up for football, the fact that all parking and concession sales went to the Orioles (even during football season), and the fact that the state was going to take the team away were all factors into him leaving.  

Put yourself in his situation and ask yourself if you would've done the same.  My guess is you would've called Mayor Hudnut and got the Mayflower trucks rolling your way too.

I've debated all this stuff with Brian on earlier threads. I understand all the business aspects of the move, and all that. I know Baltimore didn't build a stadium, and could have done much more. I know the Maryland legislature screwed things up. I'm just saying it sucks from a fan's perspective.I think Bob Irsay would have left with, or without, eminent domain. The blundering Baltimore politicians just couldn't get anything done.  The fans just wanted their Colts, and never wanted this to happen. I think Irsay had everyone on call, from Phoenix, to Jacksonville, to Charlotte. I think the move was inevitable.

FX, I liked the 30th one better!  LOL One question, if you had the 50th logo, why put out a 30th logo ? It's confusing, do you want the Baltimore history, or not , or is it just a retrospective of the Colts in Indy history ? Maybe you should have used the Colts throwback logo on the 50th.

Idk, but hey our history is the most confusing to anyone outside of the Colts circle, lol. Why not make confusing logos. haha

They had the Indy 10 year, but no 40 year Colts. Then they had the 50 year Colt logo, but no 20th Indy. They didn't have the 60th year logo last year, but they are having the 30th.

Having a Colts ring of honor in Ravens stadium is just plain weird. That would be like the Texans having Earl Campbell in their ring of honor.

I've debated all this stuff with Brian on earlier threads. I understand all the business aspects of the move, and all that. I know Baltimore didn't build a stadium, and could have done much more. I know the Maryland legislature screwed things up. I'm just saying it sucks from a fan's perspective.I think Bob Irsay would have left with, or without, eminent domain. The blundering Baltimore politicians just couldn't get anything done.  The fans just wanted their Colts, and never wanted this to happen. I think Irsay had everyone on call, from Phoenix, to Jacksonville, to Charlotte. I think the move was inevitable.

Yeah it's always the fans that get the short end of the stick one way or another.  The best thing that the citizens of Baltimore got from it, was that a lesson was learned.  A hard bitter one, but one that turned out for the better for the city and the fans

Yeah it's always the fans that get the short end of the stick one way or another.  The best thing that the citizens of Baltimore got from it, was that a lesson was learned.  A hard bitter one, but one that turned out for the better for the city and the fans

The good part was that they got Oriole Park at Camden Yards built, which is a great venue. They also built a nice stadium for the Ravens, but it was unfortunate how they got the team from Cleveland. I would have much preferred an expansion team earlier than the 12 years it took us to get a team, but we may not have gotten Ozzie Newsome, and history would have been altered. In the long run, I think things have turned out well for Indy and Baltimore. Hopefully, Cleveland will return to prominence one day.

Having a Colts ring of honor in Ravens stadium is just plain weird. That would be like the Texans having Earl Campbell in their ring of honor.

To people in Baltimore, having the Colts Ring of Honor and the Johnny Unitas statue isn't wierd at all. I'll tell you what is wierd to me. It's having Ernest Byner of the Cleveland Browns, of the "fumble " fame, in our Raven's Ring of Honor. Now to me, that is wierd.

I can see why outsiders would think having Colt's stuff in a Raven's stadium is odd, but we just see it as part of Baltimore Football history. Those guys are still around. I think I told you guys I met Ordell Braase and Tom Matte at a recent awards show. Lenny Moore just came to the Raven's practice facility to talk to new rookies. Steve Bisciotti was, and is, an old Baltimore Colts fan who is very deferential to our old heros.

People in Indy claim the franchise history, but I have never seen a Ring of Honor for the old Baltimore Colts there. As far as I know, you guys do not fly the 58,59, and 1970 World Championship banners, and as I said earlier, the 2006 Colts ring has only one diamond. I'm not commenting negatively on that, but at least we honor those old Colts. I know recently Bert Jones and some of the 1970's Colts showed up in Indy, and I know Raymond Berry was at the Super Bowl in Indy. Still, it seems to be a slightly touchy subject about that old history, and how it is displayed.

Idk, but hey our history is the most confusing to anyone outside of the Colts circle, lol. Why not make confusing logos. haha

They had the Indy 10 year, but no 40 year Colts. Then they had the 50 year Colt logo, but no 20th Indy. They didn't have the 60th year logo last year, but they are having the 30th.

It is very confusing. Try to tell your young son, for example, that your childhood team wasn't the Baltimore Ravens, but the Baltimore Colts ! I don't know if a lot of you know the Colt's name was selected in a  contest. All of you wonderful people who love the horseshoes in Indiana can thank Mr. Charles Evans, of Middle River, Maryland, who came up with the name Colts. Obviously, the name Colts was prominent because of the horse racing industry in Maryland, and the Preakness.

Anyway, it seems like the current Indianapolis anniversary logos aren't sure if they want to include the Baltimore Colt's years, or not. You are right, for people outside Colt circles, or those not interested in NFL history, it is very confusing.

To people in Baltimore, having the Colts Ring of Honor and the Johnny Unitas statue isn't wierd at all. I'll tell you what is wierd to me. It's having Ernest Byner of the Cleveland Browns, of the "fumble " fame, in our Raven's Ring of Honor. Now to me, that is wierd.

I can see why outsiders would think having Colt's stuff in a Raven's stadium is odd, but we just see it as part of Baltimore Football history. Those guys are still around. I think I told you guys I met Ordell Braase and Tom Matte at a recent awards show. Lenny Moore just came to the Raven's practice facility to talk to new rookies. Steve Bisciotti was, and is, an old Baltimore Colts fan who is very deferential to our old heros.

People in Indy claim the franchise history, but I have never seen a Ring of Honor for the old Baltimore Colts there. As far as I know, you guys do not fly the 58,59, and 1970 World Championship banners, and as I said earlier, the 2006 Colts ring has only one diamond. I'm not commenting negatively on that, but at least we honor those old Colts. I know recently Bert Jones and some of the 1970's Colts showed up in Indy, and I know Raymond Berry was at the Super Bowl in Indy. Still, it seems to be a slightly touchy subject about that old history, and how it is displayed.

So you guys have 3 different teams basically represented?

And the colts can't fly those banner. It was part of the agreement and lawsuit settlement.

Anyway, it seems like the current Indianapolis anniversary logos aren't sure if they want to include the Baltimore Colt's years, or not. You are right, for people outside Colt circles, or those not interested in NFL history, it is very confusing.

They can't. Baltimore has the rights to all the Baltimore colts history. To Indy, it's like that part of the franchise never existed, atleast legally speaking.

They can't. Baltimore has the rights to all the Baltimore colts history. To Indy, it's like that part of the franchise never existed, atleast legally speaking.

Are you sure about that ? The only thing I thought Baltimore got in that settlement, was the Super Bowl 5 Vince Lombardi trophy, which is actually a copy, as the Georgia Frontiere estate has the original one. I never heard Indy couldn't fly the old Championship banners, or put up the old Baltimore Colts in a Ring of Honor inside Lucas Oil Stadium . I've been to Indy many times, and stay at some of the hotels right by the stadium, but I've never been inside. I'm assuming they only have Indianapolis Colts banners since 1984 ?

If Baltimore did have some claim to that history, why are the Baltimore Hall of Famers under Indy ? I was always under the impression Jim Irsay was just being somewhat deferential to Baltimore by not displaying the old stuff.

So you guys have 3 different teams basically represented?

And the colts can't fly those banner. It was part of the agreement and lawsuit settlement.

Yeah, I guess, kind of. We have the Ravens Ring of Honor, the Baltimore Colts Ring of Honor, and two Cleveland Brown's guys, Art Modell and Ernest Byner. We also have Babe Ruth's dad's bar, which was torn down, and lies where center field is at Oriole Park at Camden Yards.

They most certainly do not.  The Colts history has been established that it belongs to the Colts not the city of Baltimore.  That's why the colts still honor Colts records dating back to Baltimore and retired numbers dating back to Baltimore and if you look up the official team history it includes the championships won in Baltimore.  The trophy from Super Bowl V lives in Baltimore but that is it.  It was seatled twice in a law suite, once when the Colts moved and again when the city of Baltimore tried to start a CFL team called the Colts and wanted to link it to the Baltimore Colts history.  They lost the later in court because it was determined the Colts owned the trademark on anything with the Colts on it when it comes to football including the history.  The first one was part of the settlement Baltimore wanted to keep the trophy and Irsay would endorse Baltimore for a new team when expansion came around again in return Baltimore gave up their claim to ownership over the Colts.  The Colts don't fly banners for them because it would be in a bad taste and what would be the point other than to rub Baltimore's nose in it?  Most people in Indianapolis don't care about the titles in Baltimore and the ones that do don't care enough to want the Colts to show banners for them. 

They most certainly do not.  The Colts history has been established that it belongs to the Colts not the city of Baltimore.  That's why the colts still honor Colts records dating back to Baltimore and retired numbers dating back to Baltimore and if you look up the official team history it includes the championships won in Baltimore.  The trophy from Super Bowl V lives in Baltimore but that is it.  It was seatled twice in a law suite, once when the Colts moved and again when the city of Baltimore tried to start a CFL team called the Colts and wanted to link it to the Baltimore Colts history.  They lost the later in court because it was determined the Colts owned the trademark on anything with the Colts on it when it comes to football including the history.  The first one was part of the settlement Baltimore wanted to keep the trophy and Irsay would endorse Baltimore for a new team when expansion came around again in return Baltimore gave up their claim to ownership over the Colts.  The Colts don't fly banners for them because it would be in a bad taste and what would be the point other than to rub Baltimore's nose in it?  Most people in Indianapolis don't care about the titles in Baltimore and the ones that do don't care enough to want the Colts to show banners for them. 

That is why I asked because I had never heard that before. If you guys don't want to fly the banners, why wouldn't Jim Irsay let Baltimore fly them if no one in Indianapolis cares ? What would it hurt ?

I'm tired of this endless topic and haven't followed this thread closely (only reading it because I couldn't believe how primitive the logo looked, nor  that they didn't bother to include "in Indianapolis" at the end. However this post seems like a good time to throw out a different perspective about the eminent domain issue.

It is far from a fact that Irsay would have lost his team. In fact the entire concept seems so utterly absurd that I'm confident that Irsay would have been able to get an injunction to stop any action in approximately ten minutes. Something wacky like this might well have ended up in the Supreme Court with every franchise owner in every professional league in the country backing Irsay up. What he accomplished in moving when he did was to avoid legal expense and aggravation and get the improvements he wanted while having the opportunity to paint himself as the victim. He's not the victim. As I've often pointed out when this topic comes up, Indy is a lot closer to Chicago that is LA (where Irsay started out buying the Rams), Baltimore, or Arizona. Irsay may have been a detestable person but he wasn't stupid. And his move to Indy was less "suffering business man does what he has to do" than it was "theft by deception". I hated him for this, I just couldn't give up "my" team over it.

That is why I asked because I had never heard that before. If you guys don't want to fly the banners, why wouldn't Jim Irsay let Baltimore fly them if no one in Indianapolis cares ? What would it hurt ?

My suggestion has always been dedicate an entire wing of the stadium to Baltimore. History, pictures, banners, information, ect...

It has to be clear cut dedication to Baltimore though.

Because it's his property.  With that said, I've never seen Jim Irsay come out and say that Baltimore couldn't fly a banner from Super Bowl V.  The only time he did anything like that was when Baltimore was trying to infringe on his trademark and he did that more to save his profit than he did to stop Baltimore from celebrating what their city watched. 

Also, you have to remember it doesn't really matter if Colts fans care about it or not, it all comes down to Jim Irsay.  He's the one who owns the team.  So it's up to him if he wants to do it or not.  I would guess the reason he doesn't fly the banners from the Baltimore days is simply because he knows there is nothing positive to gain from it so why do it?  All it would do is kick dirt in the fact of another fanbase over something his current fans probably wouldn't care about so what's his incentive to do it?  It would also be a constant reminder to a dark day in Colts history that they don't really like to reflect on that often. 

I think that Baltimore doesn't fly a banner from Super Bowl V is that it doesn't do much for the RAVENS franchise to fly a banner in their stadium that they didn't win.  NFL teams want everything to be about them in their stadiums, it's why the Jets and Giants have two different set ups depending on who is home that week even though they share one stadium.  Celebrating another team's accomplishment isn't something today's team is into doing because it distracts from them. 

They most certainly do not. The Colts history has been established that it belongs to the Colts not the city of Baltimore. That's why the colts still honor Colts records dating back to Baltimore and retired numbers dating back to Baltimore and if you look up the official team history it includes the championships won in Baltimore. The trophy from Super Bowl V lives in Baltimore but that is it. It was seatled twice in a law suite, once when the Colts moved and again when the city of Baltimore tried to start a CFL team called the Colts and wanted to link it to the Baltimore Colts history. They lost the later in court because it was determined the Colts owned the trademark on anything with the Colts on it when it comes to football including the history. The first one was part of the settlement Baltimore wanted to keep the trophy and Irsay would endorse Baltimore for a new team when expansion came around again in return Baltimore gave up their claim to ownership over the Colts. The Colts don't fly banners for them because it would be in a bad taste and what would be the point other than to rub Baltimore's nose in it? Most people in Indianapolis don't care about the titles in Baltimore and the ones that do don't care enough to want the Colts to show banners for them.

Ah misunderstood what I read. I took it to say that they kept that history along with the trophy. Still looking for that article, read it awhile back. But hey, when I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Thanks.

Meh, for the thousandth time, cities don't own the franchise. As a player I would find it weird to be honored in a stadium for a franchise I never played for. At least earnest byner played for the ravens franchise. I could see how the city of Baltimore would want to honor past Colts greats, but for the Ravens to do is odd.

You can't be serious?

I'm tired of this endless topic and haven't followed this thread closely (only reading it because I couldn't believe how primitive the logo looked, nor  that they didn't bother to include "in Indianapolis" at the end. However this post seems like a good time to throw out a different perspective about the eminent domain issue.

It is far from a fact that Irsay would have lost his team. In fact the entire concept seems so utterly absurd that I'm confident that Irsay would have been able to get an injunction to stop any action in approximately ten minutes. Something wacky like this might well have ended up in the Supreme Court with every franchise owner in every professional league in the country backing Irsay up. What he accomplished in moving when he did was to avoid legal expense and aggravation and get the improvements he wanted while having the opportunity to paint himself as the victim. He's not the victim. As I've often pointed out when this topic comes up, Indy is a lot closer to Chicago that is LA (where Irsay started out buying the Rams), Baltimore, or Arizona. Irsay may have been a detestable person but he wasn't stupid. And his move to Indy was less "suffering business man does what he has to do" than it was "theft by deception". I hated him for this, I just couldn't give up "my" team over it.

Baltimore really never had a chance in the lawsuit anyway, as Al Davis in the Oakland/LA deal pretty much set the standard for moving a club. The NFL at this time was so engrossed with Davis, they weren't going to get more involved in lawsuits over the Colts leaving. If I remember, at the time, Phoenix had dropped out of the running for a team, and I think Irsay, being from Chicago, was much more comfortable in Indianapolis.  

My take on it is, I didn't abandon my team, I supported my city. That is why I still like the Colts and the Ravens. There are variations of the above logo without the dreaded B-word that many Indy people don't like. It's an old, but pretty cool logo.

My suggestion has always been dedicate an entire wing of the stadium to Baltimore. History, pictures, banners, information, ect...

It has to be clear cut dedication to Baltimore though.

We have a Colts wing at the Sports legends at Camden Yards Museum, but there is nothing at the stadium.

Meh, for the thousandth time, cities don't own the franchise. As a player I would find it weird to be honored in a stadium for a franchise I never played for. At least earnest byner played for the ravens franchise. I could see how the city of Baltimore would want to honor past Colts greats, but for the Ravens to do is odd.

Yeah, but what other forum but an NFL game, would you honor old Baltimore Colts. That is the problem we have. If you have some old Indianapolis Colts, from lets say 1984 or something, you bring that team or player to the stadium. That is what we do, except our team is now the Ravens honoring the old history of the Baltimore Colts, and many of their players. We know technically that the city doesn't own the franchise, but the history took place there for thirty years, and a lot of those old Colts want to be honored in the city that they played in, surrounded by their friends in the community. This is no slap at Indianapolis, but those guys didn't play there, have friends there, nor were they part of the Indianapolis community. Mr. Bisciotti grew up a Baltimore Colts fan , like many of us, and wanted to make sure those guys were properly honored by the current Baltimore football team. Many of these guys were pillars of the community, and should be honored . Honoring old Baltimore Colts by the Baltimore Ravens may seem odd to outsiders, but it is quite natural in Baltimore.

Because it's his property.  With that said, I've never seen Jim Irsay come out and say that Baltimore couldn't fly a banner from Super Bowl V.  The only time he did anything like that was when Baltimore was trying to infringe on his trademark and he did that more to save his profit than he did to stop Baltimore from celebrating what their city watched. 

Also, you have to remember it doesn't really matter if Colts fans care about it or not, it all comes down to Jim Irsay.  He's the one who owns the team.  So it's up to him if he wants to do it or not.  I would guess the reason he doesn't fly the banners from the Baltimore days is simply because he knows there is nothing positive to gain from it so why do it?  All it would do is kick dirt in the fact of another fanbase over something his current fans probably wouldn't care about so what's his incentive to do it?  It would also be a constant reminder to a dark day in Colts history that they don't really like to reflect on that often. 

I think that Baltimore doesn't fly a banner from Super Bowl V is that it doesn't do much for the RAVENS franchise to fly a banner in their stadium that they didn't win.  NFL teams want everything to be about them in their stadiums, it's why the Jets and Giants have two different set ups depending on who is home that week even though they share one stadium.  Celebrating another team's accomplishment isn't something today's team is into doing because it distracts from them. 

This was just something I've been very curious about. You may be right about Jim Irsay's motives for not displaying the old stuff. I'm almost positive Baltimore could not fly those Championship banners without the approval of Mr. Irsay, or the NFL.Celebrating another team's accomplishments may seem odd, but when a team was there for thirty years, it's a tad more complicated than that.  If it was true the Ravens wanted everything about the Ravens, you wouldn't have the Baltimore Colts Ring of Honor, or the Johnny Unitas statue. Actually, I think the  Baltimore Colts are like the old Brooklyn Dodgers. Because both teams were highly successful and historic teams, they occupy a piece of historic nostalgia that many NFL fans love. I see the old Brooklyn Dodger baseball hats popping up all over the place. Coincidentially, the rise of the NFL network and the many highlight and lists that many of these Baltimore Colt's players and teams were on, have also spotlighted this great history. I wouldn't term the Baltimore Colts days as dark history, only the move itself that ended one era, but started another in two cities. The move , I believe, has turned out well for Indianapolis and Baltimore , but some of these old players, and their history, seemed to just sit in limbo.