Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

McNary= OLB Or ILB?

atapcl

McNary's video seems to indicate he will work at ILB. He is compared to Teddy Bruschi and was coached by the same college coach. Is McNary too small for OLB? Bruschi was similar in size and was a Pro Bowl OLB. It seems like he could backup Mathis now and replace Mathis next year.

He's just listed as LB, Not specifically ILB or OLB, If I had a guess I'd definitly say ILB in which case I think he is competing for the 5th ILB spot if we choose to carry 5, Angerer, Freeman, Conner and Sheppard are pretty locked in if we do carry 5 I would rather have C.O Prime

McNary's video seems to indicate he will work at ILB. He is compared to Teddy Bruschi and was coached by the same college coach. Is McNary too small for OLB? Bruschi was similar in size and was a Pro Bowl OLB. It seems like he could backup Mathis now and replace Mathis next year.

those are mighty lofty expectations for McNary.... he will need to work on his ST skills if he wants to make the team IMO...

Bruschi was a DE in college if I'm not mistaken at Arizona

I think McNary is short,  but not small.

I believe he's 6'0" and 250.     Built like an inside linebacker,   but his experience is at outside LB.

So,  my hunch is we'll try him everywhere and see what he does best.    I suspect his best chance of making the team -- at least this first year -- is being a terror on special teams.

He'll be interesting to watch....    I suspect many of us are rooting for him!       :thmup:

Chances are Mathis's replacement will be Werner which likely means we will draft another OLB at some point in the 2014 draft regardless if Walden works out or not....Assuming Clowney will be gone by the time we pick I got my eye on Kyle Van Noy, also have my eye on Trent Murphy and Shayne Skove.....But they may be better fits as 4-3 OLB's not sure yet

I got my eye on Kyle Van Noy, also have my eye on Trent Murphy and Shayne Skove.....But they may be better fits as 4-3 OLB's not sure yet

And they may blow out their knees, get hit by lightning or sentenced to life in federal prison before this season even starts much less next year's draft.

He does show ability to play with his hand in the dirt/turf recording at least 1 sack from there and the ability to get off blocks but he does have the build of an ILB in our scheme along with ability to blitz right through the A gap, Maybe the coaches are looking at him as a player that can be moved around

Chances are Mathis's replacement will be Werner which likely means we will draft another OLB at some point in the 2014 draft regardless if Walden works out or not....Assuming Clowney will be gone by the time we pick I got my eye on Kyle Van Noy, also have my eye on Trent Murphy and Shayne Skove.....But they may be better fits as 4-3 OLB's not sure yet

You rang?    Did someone say Stanford?

Skov is a pure inside linebacker.   And a very, very good one.   Great instincts.   Great leadership skills.   A good, but not great athlete.   But great at reading and reacting.   Tough.   Intense.    Other players rally to him.    He should be on your radar.   His only issue is the health of his knee.   His injury early in 2011 was devastating.   Very bad.   If it checks out however,  he's very much the kind of player Grigson/Pagano love.    He's 6'2" and currently playing at 235.   My guess is he'll be 240+ for the combine.

Murphy...  is a taller, bigger, somewhat more athletic Chase Thomas. (Who should have been drafted)    I'd say a favorable comparison would be Terrell Suggs, only taller.    He's 6'6" and 260.   He'll set the edge and then some.    I'd say Murphy is also a Colts type of player that our GM/HC would love.    Again,  he should be on your radar.

And, for the record,  I'm the Stanford guy that downplayed guys like Taylor, Thomas Schwartzstein, Terrell, Patterson....  if I don't think my Stanford guys are a good fit for Indy I'll say so.    But Skov and Murphy are very much what we want.

Also,  our two safety's....   Reynolds and Richards (both may come out a year early)  are also very high draft pick possibilities... keep them on your radar as well...    I've said Stanford has lots of top caliber talent in the pipeline,  and it's coming soon!    :thmup:

You rang?    Did someone say Stanford?

Skov is a pure inside linebacker.   And a very, very good one.   Great instincts.   Great leadership skills.   A good, but not great athlete.   But great at reading and reacting.   Tough.   Intense.    Other players rally to him.    He should be on your radar.   His only issue is the health of his knee.   His injury early in 2011 was devastating.   Very bad.   If it checks out however,  he's very much the kind of player Grigson/Pagano love.    He's 6'2" and currently playing at 235.   My guess is he'll be 240+ for the combine.

Murphy...  is a taller, bigger, somewhat more athletic Chase Thomas. (Who should have been drafted)    I'd say a favorable comparison would be Terrell Suggs, only taller.    He's 6'6" and 260.   He'll set the edge and then some.    I'd say Murphy is also a Colts type of player that our GM/HC would love.    Again,  he should be on your radar.

And, for the record,  I'm the Stanford guy that downplayed guys like Taylor, Thomas Schwartzstein, Terrell, Patterson....  if I don't think my Stanford guys are a good fit for Indy I'll say so.    But Skov and Murphy are very much what we want.

Also,  our two safety's....   Reynolds and Richards (both may come out a year early)  are also very high draft pick possibilities... keep them on your radar as well...    I've said Stanford has lots of top caliber talent in the pipeline,  and it's coming soon!    :thmup:

Great info, thanks, To be bluntly honest Im glad we avoided Chase Thomas, I like him but I like him as a 4-3 OLB, he just did not show much athletic ability(primary reason for him going undrafted in my opinion) or burst of the snap of the ball or much in terms of pass rush moves plus I felt at times if the play was not to his side of the field he gave up sometimes

He played inside at DT/NT actually. Crazy as undersized as he was but very effective.

He was a Defensive end:

On Tuesday, ESPN NFL analyst Tedy Bruschi was named to the College Football Hall of Fame’s Class of 2013 by the National Football Foundation. A two-time All-American defensive end at the University of Arizona (1992-95), Bruschi was a member of the Wildcats’ vaunted “Desert Swarm” defense and he finished his career tied for the NCAA FBS record in career sacks (52)

He was a Defensive end:

On Tuesday, ESPN NFL analyst Tedy Bruschi was named to the College Football Hall of Fame’s Class of 2013 by the National Football Foundation. A two-time All-American defensive end at the University of Arizona (1992-95), Bruschi was a member of the Wildcats’ vaunted “Desert Swarm” defense and he finished his career tied for the NCAA FBS record in career sacks (52)

I stand corrected.  Poor recall here.  I'll admit that my recall of his college days is a very small sample size and the game I have in my head they were moving him around the interior.  Obviously he spent most of his time elsewhere.