Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rotoworld projected Colts starting lineup.

NCost12

I think we as fans are in for a different off season/pre season. The team make up based on FA and draft additions is to create competition. I think we will see a few surprises, but Cherlius at LT....I hope will not be one of them. I think if Angerer's foot is finally right, you will see Conner playing ILB on passing downs and to spell Freeman or Angerer. We are going to see some names cut that we will all decry why did they pay $$ for that guy if they were only going to cut him and such....hold on, it will be a competitive filled bumpy ride........

I would figure if Satele were to get cut, it would happen sooner rather than later.  My guess is they ride him one more season and develop Khaled and Shipley, where both likely server as G backup as well.

How anyone sees Cherilus on the left side is beyond me.  Costanzo's strength is in pass protection.  He is far more athletic than Cherlius, where Cherilus is far more strong in the run game.  That easily suggests that Cherilus goes to the right, and Castonzo to the left.  I'm a bit gray on the talents of Thomas and Thornton, but I suspect they'll be our top guards, regardless of who goes left/right.  As for center, the staff, for whatever reason, seems to prefer Satele.  I assume he has one more year, and we now have adequate depth (Shipley and Holmes) behind him for when he eventually goes down.  As Holmes/Shipley can likely play guard as well, I suspect we keep 3 "centers" as that position is a bit more unique than either G spot.

As for DHB/Hilton, unless Hilton shows a reason to be the #3, I don't see them going with DHB as our #2 until he earns it.  Thus far, it ought to be Hilton's spot to lose.

As for the defense, I suspect if they're happy with Chapman's health, he is going to get every opportunity to take the job.  Hughes projects to the "Ngata DE" role as they suggested some time ago.  Franklin is not the player he once was, but should provide adequate depth, especially if Chapman needs more time.  RJF projects to start with Hughes being the backup and providing reps on rush downs.  Redding starts as always.

As for the LB, that all has yet to be seen as Walden and Werner are new, but one projects to "start", but both will likely see adequate field time.

All in all, I don't suspect Rotoworld is too far off.  Certainly nothing is set in stone, but it is all a best guess.

qb- luck

rb-ballard

wr1-wayne

wr2 heward-bey

te-fleenor

te-allen

lt-Castanzo

lg-thomas

c-shipley

rg-thornton

rt-cherlius

AC will be the LT they have faith in him playing with a revolving door at lg last year hurt him immensely you could tell he was trying to overcompensate for the lack of talent at lg and couldnt trust them, shipley with win C spot IMO satele is probably gone i dont see reitz or mcglynn beating the rook out of rg( a dark horse could be iljilana for the rg spot if he is healthy he could definitly earn a starting spot) and Cherlius is built for RT hilton will most likely play slot and have wayne and heward-bey on the outside unless wayne drops into the slot.

ss- landry

fs- bethea

rcb-davis

lcb-toler

rolb-mathis

ilb freeman

ilb-angerer 

lolb-walden

re jean-francois

nt-franklin

le-redding

angerer and connor will rotate in and out of the game, walden and werner will rotate beginning of the season and i think werner will over take him toward the middle to end of the season i can see franklin starting at nt until they know chapman is full strength then its his spot rotating with franklin and hughes(unless mckinney is full  strength i see him getting cut) the to end spots will be rotating with the depth thats there they are gonna try and keep fresh bodies out there but jean-francois and redding will be primary the secondary the nickle corner most likely butler 

Funny thing about projecting starters is you don't know what formation they will start in.

What if we open up the season in a 5 wr set with Wayne, TY, and DHB in a bunch formation and on the very next play go to a big formation with Two TE's and a Fullback with TY spilt out wide.

Dies this make TY wr #1?

????

I don't think Satele is that bad, the problem is that he's not that good.  We'll always be looking to replace him, but if we solidify the right side of the line he won't look so bad imho.

Also agree with many on here that DHB will be no.2 WR.

10. Indianapolis Colts

QB: Andrew Luck

RB: Vick Ballard

WR: Reggie Wayne

WR: T.Y. Hilton

TE: Dwayne Allen

TE: Coby Fleener

LT: Anthony Castonzo

LG: Hugh Thornton*

C: Samson Satele

RG: Donald Thomas*

RT: Gosder Cherilus*

Offensive Overview: GM Ryan Grigson attacked Luck's line in free agency and the draft, continuing to assemble one of the NFL's top young offenses. At 6-foot-3, 320 with 34-inch arms, Thornton is a plug-and-play left guard out of Illinois. Thomas and Cherilus shore up a right side that regrettably trotted out Mike McGlynnJeff Linkenbach, andWinston Justice last season. It's a good sign for Indy's long-term outlook that Grigson showed such urgency to upgrade after identifying those liabilities. Under new coordinator Pep Hamilton, the Colts will play West Coast offense with regular two-tight end packages. Hilton will be the field stretcher while Wayne relies on crisp route running to get open on the first and second levels. Luck is a lock to be more efficient in terms of completion rate and passer rating in Hamilton's system. The Colts' offensive weak spot is still tailback, where Ballard can get what's blocked and pass protect but does not create on his own.

LE: Cory Redding

RE: Ricky Jean-Francois*

NT: Josh Chapman

ILB: Jerrell Freeman

ILB: Kavell Conner

OLB: Robert Mathis

OLB: Bjoern Werner*

RCB: Vontae Davis

LCB: Greg Toler*

FS: Antoine Bethea

SS: LaRon Landry*

Defensive Overview: Defense was the Colts' 2012 downfall, ranking 26th in yards allowed and 29th versus the run. Most memorably -- and most embarrassingly -- Indy was shredded for 232 yards and three touchdowns by Shonn Greene and Joe McKnight on 35 carries (6.63 YPC) in a Week 6 loss to the lowly Jets. Greene is now a backup in Tennessee, while McKnight is a third- or fourth-stringer in New York. Grigson upgraded his defense's physicality by signing Landry and Jean-Francois, and a competitive bookend for Davis in underrated Toler. Big things are expected of 2012 fifth-round pick Josh Chapman, an early-round talent who fell in the draft due to college injuries. He's healthy now. Although not quite elite, Chuck Pagano's pass rush should improve with first-rounder Werner playing opposite Mathis, and Erik Walden working in as a rotational rusher. This defense is not going to be great, but should be quite a bit better than last year's.

Good stuff...CN....

But, as others have said...I think TY will start in the slot ....and Coby is likely to come off the bench on passing downs or full-series in late quarter situations.

I'm also not sure a healthy Donaldn Brown wont start ahead of Vic Ballard because he's a better pass blocker...because we wont play a fullback much

But I dont think the new offensive coordinator has given us any real details on what he's going to do.

We're all talking about things we dont know in that regard..

Defensively..I dont think Werner can start for us now..and it was my understanding that Chapman is still rehabbing..

Funny thing about projecting starters is you don't know what formation they will start in.

What if we open up the season in a 5 wr set with Wayne, TY, and DHB in a bunch formation and on the very next play go to a big formation with Two TE's and a Fullback with TY spilt out wide.

Dies this make TY wr #1?

????

It's already been confirmed by the coaches & DHB that DHB will be our #2 WR

Good stuff...CN....

But, as others have said...I think TY will start in the slot ....and Coby is likely to come off the bench on passing downs or full-series in late quarter situations.

I'm also not sure a healthy Donaldn Brown wont start ahead of Vic Ballard because he's a better pass blocker...because we wont play a fullback much

But I dont think the new offensive coordinator has given us any real details on what he's going to do.

We're all talking about things we dont know in that regard..

Defensively..I dont think Werner can start for us now..and it was my understanding that Chapman is still rehabbing..

Chapman is locked and loaded. He's taken 15+ months off, he's ready for war

I think you are all missing a critical piece...

Whalen is clearly going to take over as WR1!!! He is the single biggest reason the Colts didn't add a WR through the draft, and is TEH AWESOMENEST EVAH!!! Not only is it impossible for the Colts to improve over him, but his playing time with Luck in college will undoubtably make this the most dynamic duo in the history if the NFL!!! We know this for a fact because he played a couple downs against the Steelers scrubs in a meaningless preseason game!!!

Like it I don't think it is too far off. Few things I think.

1 Satele unless he is flat beat out finishes his contract this year an starts.Holmes will get work at guard to to see if he can cut it there. We all like Shipley but honestly he may be an overachiever type & not get the chance!

2 If Thornton doesn't start I think Reitz does!

3 Franklin will start over Chapman.

4 Walden will start because he is good against the run and Werner plays a lot.

5 I agree who starts on the DL in immaterial because they will be rotating a lot. 

6 I think if Moala Starts over Ricky Jean if healthy.

7 Hayward Bey I think starts over Hilton, I can see a lot of Flenner, Bey, Hilton, Wayne, And Brown in the backfield that's a lot of SPEED!

That how I see it.

I do think it's unfair to knock our D last year too much. We asked a lot of them considering the scheme transitioning towards one that some of our top guys didn't fit (Freeney, Angerer, Nevis was an up and comer and ideal in our old D). Even if some of the misfits were apparent, there was never a lack of effort or energy. I give them props to do as well as they did in a tough spot.

That said, we needed to find players who fit better, upgrade talent on the top end, and improve our depth if we were going to be more than a nice Cinderella story and be legit contenders year in, year out. I think we're well on the way to doing that after this offseason.

Exactly.  I think we win almost all of the close battles, it just should not be as dramatic in those type contests this year.  What I really hope it does, is remove all of the blowouts against us, and maybe even give Luck a chance at stealing a last minute victory this year in one of those games that got way out of hand last year.

I think we as fans are in for a different off season/pre season. The team make up based on FA and draft additions is to create competition. I think we will see a few surprises, but Cherlius at LT....I hope will not be one of them. I think if Angerer's foot is finally right, you will see Conner playing ILB on passing downs and to spell Freeman or Angerer. We are going to see some names cut that we will all decry why did they pay $$ for that guy if they were only going to cut him and such....hold on, it will be a competitive filled bumpy ride........

Will be a sad day when/if that day comes.

I think Ijalana will win a starting OG spot if he can stay healthy -- Ijalana at LG and Thornton at RG with Thomas being the primary backup at both spots.  I think we'll keep Satele at starter and carry Shipley and Holmes on the roster -- Shipley proved he is serviceable if we need him, and Holmes versatility makes me believe he'll be the primary back-up at C and the 2nd back-up at both G spots.

I think Ijalana will win a starting OG spot if he can stay healthy -- Ijalana at LG and Thornton at RG with Thomas being the primary backup at both spots.  I think we'll keep Satele at starter and carry Shipley and Holmes on the roster -- Shipley proved he is serviceable if we need him, and Holmes versatility makes me believe he'll be the primary back-up at C and the 2nd back-up at both G spots.

Although anything is possible; I think it is very unlikely that Thomas does not start at guard over a rookie, and a player who has spent more time injured than playing.

Although anything is possible; I think it is very unlikely that Thomas does not start at guard over a rookie, and a player who has spent more time injured than playing.

This comment, represents my feelings(thoughts) to the letter. The guys that they paid in free agency, along with the addition of pep hamilton, are going to set the foundation, for what the blocking/defensive scheme is suppose to look like, on the NFL level. When that has been established, then the older guys with 7 or more years will naturally end their contracts, and the young guys will slowly begin to take over. I realize that our free agents didn't sign mega deals, but the fact that they were paid what the were paid, means they weren't brought to sit. There are nuances about the :nfl:style blocking scheme, that these young guys haven't experienced, so it's the veterans job to show them how to respond to it.....

I still think, ***iff he can stay healthy***, Ijalana will become our best OL.  I think Thomas is good, and an upgrade from last year, but do honestly think that Ijalana and Thornton have more natural ability than him -- now it will depend if Ijalana can stay healthy and how fast Thornton can learn the NFL game to see if Thomas can be pushed to the bench.  What is crazy to think about is -- if Thomas goes to the bench, our backup this year will be better than our starter from last year (IMO).