Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

we coulda had Patterson

GoodLuck

How about SB wins in the past decade?  Who exactly were those RB's?

Pats: Kevin Faulk

Bucs: Michael Pittman

Pats: Faulk

Pats: Faulk

Steelers: Jerome Bettis

Colts: Joseph Addai/Rhodes

Giants: Bradshaw/Jacobs

Steelers: Mendanhall

Saints: Reggie Bush

Packers:James Starks

Giants: Bradshaw/Jacobs

Not exactly elite RB's, are they?

The point being.... running backs really aren't that important nowadays.  It's actually waaaaay more likely that you win the SB if you DON'T have a 1st round running back.  It's been like that more more than a decade. 

If you really want a good running game (which IS still important), you invest in a good offensive line and get a serviceable-to-good running back in the later rounds.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And about the WR's.  This is one year that I would NOT take a 1st round WR.  Apart from maybe Tavon Austin, none of these guys are that particularly special.  There is really no real, noticeable difference between the next 12-15 WR's.  You could reasonable get a 2nd round talent in the 4th round.

For these reasons, you are absolutely crazy if you think RB/WR are even remotely as important as OLB/DE/CB (and I'll throw in OL).... particularly this year....

How has a guy who played in 14 games as a true freshman, 13 as a sophomore and 14 as a junior accumulating the following accolades:

*********** Unanimous All-American ***********

Walter Camp All-American (First Team)*

FWAA All-American (First Team)*

AP All-American (First Team)*

FACA FBS Coaches All-American (First Team)*

Sporting News All-American (First Team)*

CBSSports.com All-American (First Team)

Pro Football Weekly All-American (First Team)

Athlon Sports All-American (First Team)

SI.com All-American (Second Team)

Phil Steele All-American (Second Team)

ACC Defensive Player of the Year

Athlon Sports ACC Defensive Player of the Year

College Football News ACC Defensive Player of the Year

All-ACC (First Team)

Coaches All-ACC (First Team)

ESPN.com All-Conference (First Team)

Phil Steele Postseason All-ACC (First Team)

College Football News All-ACC (First Team)

Bronko Nagurski Trophy Finalist

Ted Hendricks Award Finalist

while racking up 23.5 sacks in the ACC "raw as a sashimi tuna"?  

Ansah is raw...Margus Hunt is raw.  I don't see how Werner could be considered raw...unless you're just getting bad sashimi tuna. ;)

Talk about all-time back fires

it's easy to say a team has a good draft if they have three picks in the first round...

Think several people on this board are slightly jealous since MN ended up with Rhodes...

That's true, but they got some good picks.

On Rhodes....Definitely

Werner isn't RAW at all. Watch the full game #10 Florida St vs #4 Florida. We needed a playmaker at 24 regardless of who it was. Bjoern sticks out on the tape. You have to watch the full game. We got a great player at 24

Werner isn't RAW at all. Watch the full game #10 Florida St vs #4 Florida. We needed a playmaker at 24 regardless of who it was. Bjoern sticks out on the tape. You have to watch the full game. We got a great player at 24

The beauty is he still has upside on the table, but unlike the other guys who have it mentioned non-stop, he actually produced in college and put up better numbers every year to go along with it. He adapts to the level of competition he faces quickly, and he hasn't peaked yet.

I posted this half jokingly in another thread, but it's still worth noting that Werner alone had 0.5 sacks less last year than the #2, 5, and 6 overall picks in this draft combined. 

The beauty is he still has upside on the table, but unlike the other guys who have it mentioned non-stop, he actually produced in college and put up better numbers every year to go along with it. He adapts to the level of competition he faces quickly, and he hasn't peaked yet.

I posted this half jokingly in another thread, but it's still worth noting that Werner alone had 0.5 sacks less last year than the #2, 5, and 6 overall picks in this draft combined.

And those sacks came with fsu's other best pass rushers suffering multiple injuries so Werner wasn't successfully against weak competition and he wasn't successful only because Brandon Jenkins or tank carradine was lined up on the other side. He was successfully with and without them. Perhaps they were successful because they lined up opposite Werner?

Patterson probably ended up in the right place to do well not bust.  They don't have the QB for a complex system and the addition of Greg Jennings takes the immediate pressure off of Patterson to run precision routes.  All the Vikes need him to do is stretch the defense occasionally and catch simple stuff underneath with YAC.  It is the perfect fit and likely to work.  Probably a poor fit for a Manning or Brady team on the other hand.

I have to agree. IMO:

Patterson had more relative value to the Vikings. They can plug him into the Percy Harvin role and go.

Werner had more relative value to the Colts. They can plug him into the Kruger role and go.

Obviously how all these players pan out remains to be seen. But I feel like it's a good pick until proven otherwise.

Late into the discussion (gotta love the time zone difference), but there is no way we could have got Patterson--you're not allowed to trade 2 guys with the 1 pick.  I like the pick of Werner--a starting DE/LB for years to come--he can only get better

My buddy is from tenneessee and he said patterson will not b a pro bowl type guy cuz of his hands. Justin hunter is way better than him. He also came from florida state area n said werner will b better than jj watt.he watched him play every game.

What is the visiting hours.....?