Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Barrett Jones

COLTSBRO

the more and more I read about this guy, the more I want the colts to draft him. He has incredible football smarts and plays with toughness. Ultimately, he could be Luck's sidekick for his career as Saturday was to Manning. How would you guys feel about drafting him and in what round would it be appropriate to do so? Discuss...

For what it's worth,  but ESPN.com and NFL.com have Jones with a low 3rd round grade.

I think we need a powerful RG before we need a center, and I think Jones is more a Center than anything else.

So,  while I like him,  I'm not sure he's high enough on the BPA list to be there when our picks happen....

I think Jones is better suited for either our LG slot or Center and both are filled (seemingly) right now even if many of us are not high on the player or players that are there at least yet, Brian Winters or Travis Frederick or Kyle Long are guys Im lookin at in the 3rd, I'd like Jones, he might fit there but I dont see it UNLESS we are going to a Zone scheme, which I think could still be possible, Ultimately I want Cooper above all of those because I think he can fit either scheme

I think Jones is better suited for either our LG slot or Center and both are filled (seemingly) right now even if many of us are not high on the player or players that are there at least yet, Brian Winters or Travis Frederick or Kyle Long are guys Im lookin at in the 3rd, I'd like Jones, he might fit there but I dont see it UNLESS we are going to a Zone scheme, which I think could still be possible, Ultimately I want Cooper above all of those because I think he can fit either scheme

I see you talking about Frederick a lot, and I'm not educated enough on him to argue either way. But it was my understanding that he showed up to the combine 20 pounds lighter to convince teams he wanted to stay as a center. Do you want us to take him as a right guard, or as a center? Either way he's good, I'm just confused as to his role.

I see you talking about Frederick a lot, and I'm not educated enough on him to argue either way. But it was my understanding that he showed up to the combine 20 pounds lighter to convince teams he wanted to stay as a center. Do you want us to take him as a right guard, or as a center? Either way he's good, I'm just confused as to his role.

Right Guard, He may have just slimmed down for the Combine I think but I think I would take Winters over him at Right Guard

Makes sense. I just see you talking him up a alot and was a bit curious. Thanks for clarification.

unfortunately the draft is no exact science so obviously I could be very wrong on both of them, either way I think it would take a year or so to develop fully but being that they would potentially be 3rd round picks that kinda gives them that time to develop, much more so then a 1st round pick who in most cases (except Jerry Hughes for example) are expected to contribute right away, If Cooper is there in the 1st I think you almost have to choose him because at most other positions you have starters although some of those spots could be upgraded in my opinion. OLB, #2 CB both specifically but both seemingly have guys our staff is going to start there (Toler-#2 CB, Walden LOLB) regardless I think both could be upgraded fairly easily in the draft as well, we also need depth behind our starters as well, So I could see going DE, WR (Unlikely I think), S. Ultimately I think we will go BPA regardless of position. Rush Linebacker/DE seems to be the deepest position this year along with Safety

the more and more I read about this guy, the more I want the colts to draft him. He has incredible football smarts and plays with toughness. Ultimately, he could be Luck's sidekick for his career as Saturday was to Manning. How would you guys feel about drafting him and in what round would it be appropriate to do so? Discuss...

He'll be gone by the time we pick in the 3rd. We have to trade up.

Makes sense. I just see you talking him up a alot and was a bit curious. Thanks for clarification.

Frederick lost the weight to get to the number 1 center prospect.  He is rated that by CBS....CBS no longer mentions him at guard.  Balzer and I had mentioned this when he lost the weight at the combine that it appeared it was for the move to center.  Apparently that is the case.  I thought he was number between 4-6 at guard....loved him as a guard....HMMMMM!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2013/C

Frederick lost the weight to get to the number 1 center prospect.  He is rated that by CBS....CBS no longer mentions him at guard.  Balzer and I had mentioned this when he lost the weight at the combine that it appeared it was for the move to center.  Apparently that is the case.  I thought he was number between 4-6 at guard....loved him as a guard....HMMMMM!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2013/C

Don't know but from his profile picture looks like we will be loosing him to Duck Dynasty  :funny:  :lol:

What happened to him that made him fall to the 3rd iirc he was being talked as a selection for pick 24 a few weeks ago. 

I believe he injured his foot in the BCS championship game and hasnt worked out since.... apparently he'll be able to start running and doing drills next month

I think Jones is better suited for either our LG slot or Center and both are filled (seemingly) right now even if many of us are not high on the player or players that are there at least yet, Brian Winters or Travis Frederick or Kyle Long are guys Im lookin at in the 3rd, I'd like Jones, he might fit there but I dont see it UNLESS we are going to a Zone scheme, which I think could still be possible, Ultimately I want Cooper above all of those because I think he can fit either schemWhich

Which blocking scheme does Alabama run? Ive seen conflicting reports in which one said that they run a zone look and the other a man-power look

What happened to him that made him fall to the 3rd iirc he was being talked as a selection for pick 24 a few weeks ago. 

What happened to him is that Jones is very much like Mathieu....  a product/victim of the Hype Machine.

There are still people here who claim Mathieu would've been a first round lock and possible top-10 pick if not for his marijuana issues.        Nonsense.

Jones was the leader of the best OL in football....   that helped.

But when scouts watch the tape they see someone who is good at 3 positions, but not any better than that.   He's not very good or great at anything.   So, while he has versatility,  he has limitations -- a low ceiling, if you will.

His best spot is center and you don't see many centers taken that high....   the foot injury doesn't help,  but that didn't cost him two rounds.    He didn't go from first round pick to 3rd round pick over an injury that's going to heal.

Tank Carradine blew up a knee and he's still viewed as a top-50 player who may sneak into the 1st round.

Jones was simply never as good as the Hype Machine would lead some to believe.  

What happened to him is that Jones is very much like Mathieu....  a product/victim of the Hype Machine.

There are still people here who claim Mathieu would've been a first round lock and possible top-10 pick if not for his marijuana issues.        Nonsense.

Jones was the leader of the best OL in football....   that helped.

But when scouts watch the tape they see someone who is good at 3 positions, but not any better than that.   He's not very good or great at anything.   So, while he has versatility,  he has limitations -- a low ceiling, if you will.

His best spot is center and you don't see many centers taken that high....   the foot injury doesn't help,  but that didn't cost him two rounds.    He didn't go from first round pick to 3rd round pick over an injury that's going to heal.

Tank Carradine blew up a knee and he's still viewed as a top-50 player who may sneak into the 1st round.

Jones was simply never as good as the Hype Machine would lead some to believe.  

There was talk of Jones being a late first- early 2nd round pick prior to the injury, The tape dont change all of a sudden, Jones wasn't a participant at the Combine-did not help his cause. If we are being honest here, Jones does play multiple positions well, extremely well as a matter of fact, he has the awards to prove that, Warmack dont have those awards, Cooper dont. Right now as it is, NFL.com has 15 O Linemen with a better draft grade then Jones, thats one of the questionable grades to me, I get he dont have elite strength or much of an aggressive streak and gets caught watching the ball sometimes, I(dont think you will convince AJ Mccarron of that anytime soon though) but Im still skeptical that there are 15 better O Linemen in this draft......15...seriously? I think the injury certainly played a role in his grade, Another example of a player going having low draft stock do to injury only he is supposedly steadily rising do to him being healthy is D.J. Hayden. Prior to him checking out to be healthy his draft stock with somewhere in the 4th round, now that most seem to think he is healthy there is talk he could go in the 1st, Injury can kill your draft stock especially with no pro day because of it or Combine and I firmly believe thats the case with Jones, am I claiming he would go in the first? No, its alway hard to predict where at interior O Linemen will go, But I have to believe he would not have fell out of the 2nd given many talked like he had a late 1st round potential prior to injury

Regardless of where experts, this board included, think he deserves to be drafted - if Grigson thinks he will contribute to the development of a great Oline the way Saturday did, then I really don't care what pick they use on him as long as they get him.  Among those physically talented enough to play Oline in the NFL, leadership is the most scarce commodity.

The guy is a low 1st-early 2nd round talent that got injured. It's really that simple. Dude was the leader of the best OL. I like him anywhere inside. I wouldn't pick him 24 at this point. Someone will get lucky & get him early-mid 3rd highly doubt we are able to draft him.

Exactly. Jones was 1st or top half of 2nd round before the injury. He was the Jeff Saturday of maybe the best O-line in College Football history...especially considering whom this group opened holes for and made look good over the past 3-4 years. Someone will get super value if he, in fact, falls to the 3rd round.

There was talk of Jones being a late first- early 2nd round pick prior to the injury, The tape dont change all of a sudden, Jones wasn't a participant at the Combine-did not help his cause. If we are being honest here, Jones does play multiple positions well, extremely well as a matter of fact, he has the awards to prove that, Warmack dont have those awards, Cooper dont. Right now as it is, NFL.com has 15 O Linemen with a better draft grade then Jones, thats one of the questionable grades to me, I get he dont have elite strength or much of an aggressive streak and gets caught watching the ball sometimes, I(dont think you will convince AJ Mccarron of that anytime soon though) but Im still skeptical that there are 15 better O Linemen in this draft......15...seriously? I think the injury certainly played a role in his grade, Another example of a player going having low draft stock do to injury only he is supposedly steadily rising do to him being healthy is D.J. Hayden. Prior to him checking out to be healthy his draft stock with somewhere in the 4th round, now that most seem to think he is healthy there is talk he could go in the 1st, Injury can kill your draft stock especially with no pro day because of it or Combine and I firmly believe thats the case with Jones, am I claiming he would go in the first? No, its alway hard to predict where at interior O Linemen will go, But I have to believe he would not have fell out of the 2nd given many talked like he had a late 1st round potential prior to injury

Projections of where players are taken during the season are totally different than what they will be after the combine and pro days.

And what in the world are you doing making an argument based on college awards?!?!      Are you kidding me?!?

Tell me how good Gino Torretta was in the NFL?   How about Charlie Ward?    What happened?   They won Heisman trophys.  That's supposed to be the best player in college football?    Why weren't they NFL stars?    How about Tim Tebow?

College awards mean squat.    I'm stunned you made half your argument on that. 

And I'm not the least bit surprised that Jones is 15th overall as the best O-lineman.   It's not even clear he's the top Center...

So, you have all those very good tackles and guards....    and some other very good centers....    and this is the same website that has your guy, Okafor, as a borderline 1st round grade.....     so, you like it then, but don't like it now....

Jones is a good player.   Perhaps very good player.   But he was never going to be a first round pick once the draft evaluation process was done with him.   Combine/Pro Days/Private work outs.    It wasn't going to happen.

Just a victim of the hype....

Exactly. Jones was 1st or top half of 2nd round before the injury. He was the Jeff Saturday of maybe the best O-line in College Football history...especially considering whom this group opened holes for and made look good over the past 3-4 years. Someone will get super value if he, in fact, falls to the 3rd round.

The best Oline in history sure gave up plenty of sacks for a team that didn't throw the ball much. Seems everything Bama related gets overhyped These days. Other than Julio Jones has anyone from the Saban era lit it up in the NFL?

Projections of where players are taken during the season are totally different than what they will be after the combine and pro days.

And what in the world are you doing making an argument based on college awards?!?!      Are you kidding me?!?

Tell me how good Gino Torretta was in the NFL?   How about Charlie Ward?    What happened?   They won Heisman trophys.  That's supposed to be the best player in college football?    Why weren't they NFL stars?    How about Tim Tebow?

College awards mean squat.    I'm stunned you made half your argument on that. 

And I'm not the least bit surprised that Jones is 15th overall as the best O-lineman.   It's not even clear he's the top Center...

So, you have all those very good tackles and guards....    and some other very good centers....    and this is the same website that has your guy, Okafor, as a borderline 1st round grade.....     so, you like it then, but don't like it now....

Jones is a good player.   Perhaps very good player.   But he was never going to be a first round pick once the draft evaluation process was done with him.   Combine/Pro Days/Private work outs.    It wasn't going to happen.

Just a victim of the hype....

Wow you certainly get quite hasty with me eh using them exclamation points a little overboard eh, I dont know who Torretta was, and were using Ward, the QB from Florida State who literally had 1 good year of college football as an example before jumping to the NBA to play for the Knicks? Jones had for great years, Do those awards translate to the NFL? no, of course not, but they do say they he is very technically sounds and that he does know how to compensate for certain physical deficiencies he may have (lack of brute strength). Im not trying to say he is worthy of a 1st round pick or that he is the best O Linemen but I think he is much better then some rated higher then him

Wow you certainly get quite hasty with me eh using them exclamation points a little overboard eh, I dont know who Torretta was, and were using Ward, the QB from Florida State who literally had 1 good year of college football as an example before jumping to the NBA to play for the Knicks? Jones had for great years, Do those awards translate to the NFL? no, of course not, but they do say they he is very technically sounds and that he does know how to compensate for certain physical deficiencies he may have (lack of brute strength). Im not trying to say he is worthy of a 1st round pick or that he is the best O Linemen but I think he is much better then some rated higher then him

I'll let you pick the award.....   any award in college football you want.

You pick it....  and I think you'll find there are plenty of examples of the player winning the award for Best __________ in college football didn't turn out to be a great NFL player.

And, if Tape Don't Lie....  as you like to say....   then the draft would be held a week after the Super Bowl....

There wouldn't be the Combine,  Pro Days,  medical and psychological profiles,  background checks,  personal interviews with players and coaches and family and friends....    there would be none of it,  because "Tape Don't Lie"

I think in the years to come you'll find that tape lies plenty..........