Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Clay Matthews signs 5 year-$66 million contract.

Dustin

Poor poor Aaron Rodgers, he better get used to playing with guys from the scrap heap..

Like Clay Matthews? Or Jermichael Finley? AJ Hawk? Jordy Nelson? BJ Raji?

The Packers are doing just fine. They'll continue to contend, even after Matthews' contract and Rodgers' contract, which will be even bigger.

What's the guaranteed money amount look like for Matthews on this contract? And is the bulk of that money front loaded or back loaded? I always wanna know that once the details become available.

$31 million guaranteed is the only detail I know at the moment.

$31 million guaranteed is the only detail I know at the moment.

Thanks Dustin. Clay Matthews has definitely earned this new deal & Kevin Greene is a great LB coach IMHO who should have won a ring as a player with either Pittsburg or the Carolina Panthers. A great mentor, motivator, & teacher. 

http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/kevin-greene/d3a90aa3-453c-4363-a15b-923ec23eb933

If you take Clay out of that defense they have nothing.. absolutely nothing.. he makes that secundary better forcing throws, yeah, a bit overpayed but the guy it's the best OLB right now.. IMO it's deserved.. the dude plays hard every snap, he played bad against San Fran(Joe Staley and Iupati) , and got shut down but the defense as a whole play like crap.. so.. yeah.. it's a lot of money.. but you have to make your superstars happy i guess..

This may sound obvious, but like FTNB said so eloquently above, you pay your play makers. I wish the Chicago Bears & Oakland Raiders would realize this. Don't be a cheap skate franchise. You pay handsomely for on the field production; the piece meal approach never wins championships. 

Next move for the Packers get a RB that can pass block & acquire 5-6 yards per carry. Otherwise, it's gonna be a long season for Aaron Rogers. He threw too darn much last season. Yes, the o-line is still a concern that needs to be addressed, but Rogers can still run effectively. But, if your team is 1 dimensional you are done. 

Clay Mathews is overrated....He couldn't carry Von Miller's jock strap!

Elvis Dumervil gave Von Miller the opportunity to free lance. Let's see how good Von Miller truly is. This year will confirm or deny that crucial fact even if Denver obtains Dwight Freeney. Sorry no. Matthews is not overrated. 

This contract is shocking. I don't think Matthews has ever performed as well as he did in 2010. He has also had a ton of injuries. Why break the bank on him like this? Seems way over the top considering what the franchise tag was for his position.

According to PFT the real average is 11.6m

Clay Mathews is overrated....He couldn't carry Von Miller's jock strap!

Clay Matthews overrated?  Absolutely not.  Is Von Miller better?  Yeah, probably a safe bet at this point.  Still, both are certainly among the best in the league at what they do.

What you're doing here is akin to calling AJ Green overrated because he's not Calvin Johnson.

This contract is shocking. I don't think Matthews has ever performed as well as he did in 2010. He has also had a ton of injuries. Why break the bank on him like this? Seems way over the top considering what the franchise tag was for his position.

He had 13 sacks in only 12 games last season, a half a sack shy of what he accomplished in 2010 playing three more games.  When he's even somewhat healthy he's still an incredible pass-rusher and his presence makes a huge impact on the Pack's D (which, frankly, has been downright awful without him even if it hasn't always been great with him).

Clay Matthews overrated?  Absolutely not.  Is Von Miller better?  Yeah, probably a safe bet at this point.  Still, both are certainly among the best in the league at what they do.

What you're doing here is akin to calling AJ Green overrated because he's not Calvin Johnson.

He had 13 sacks in only 12 games last season, a half a sack shy of what he accomplished in 2010 playing three more games.  When he's even somewhat healthy he's still an incredible pass-rusher and his presence makes a huge impact on the Pack's D (which, frankly, has been downright awful without him even if it hasn't always been great with him).

He looked horrid against the niners. Turned around like a turnstile on a few Kaep runs. He just has not seemed like the same force since 2010. I know he is the best rusher they got but that is a huge deal for a guy that has been injured a lot.

He looked horrid against the niners. Turned around like a turnstile on a few Kaep runs. He just has not seemed like the same force since 2010. I know he is the best rusher they got but that is a huge deal for a guy that has been injured a lot.

He's played 16, 15, 15, and 12 games. That's hardly a lot for an oft-injured position.

For sure. Smith plays on a much better overall defense. As soon as Justin Smith got hurt, Aldon became half the player he had been. Plus Matthews plays the run and covers. Smith is a very one dimensional player.

Fair enough.

Better than Aldon Smith?

Nope haha Aldon Smith is a monster

Aldon Smith is indeed a monster but I figure I should bring up the fact that he registered 0 sacks in the three games Justin Smith missed.  Even the good ones benefit mightily from their surrounding cast.

Edit: And Peytonator's post is why I should refresh the page when I load it and don't read it for a while. :)

Aldon Smith is indeed a monster but I figure I should bring up the fact that he registered 0 sacks in the three games Justin Smith missed.  Even the good ones benefit mightily from their surrounding cast.

He was playing injured during that time as well.

Details here: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/75547/clay-matthews-cap-details-rise-over-time

Technically, it's six years, $69.7m, with a $20.5m signing bonus. There are several playing time incentives and roster bonuses throughout the deal. Averages $11.6m/year, rather than the previously assumed $13.2m/year.

The large signing bonus really handcuffs them, but that's how it goes. First year cap hit is only $6.7m, barely $2m higher than it would have been in 2013. But they'll pay later. If he stays on the field and has the kind of impact he's generally had, then it's probably worth it for the Packers. But they're paying a premium price, that's for sure.