Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Renewed interest in Bjoern Werner

I have no doubts he could play as our 3-4 DE/OLB but I also like Tank Carradine or trading down for Brandon Jenkins is another option

I have 100% doubt that he could play our 3-4 DE. He just isn't even close to being big enough, now if you're simply saying 3-4 OLBer, then yes, I still have my doubts because quite frankly I think he's highly over rated and that's why he has consistently been sliding down the draft boards. 

For what it's worth....

Both NFL.com and ESPN.com says Werner is a 4-3 Left Defensive End.

ESPN.com says he might be able to play OLB in a 3-4, but he'd have limitations...

He does not appear to be a good fit for our scheme.    

I'd pass.

I agree, he does not look fluid in his movements to me and plays to high. Could he improve with proper coaching? Maybe, but why take the chance with a 1st rd. pick? I would rather get a player that fits better.

I have 100% doubt that he could play our 3-4 DE. He just isn't even close to being big enough, now if you're simply saying 3-4 OLBer, then yes, I still have my doubts because quite frankly I think he's highly over rated and that's why he has consistently sliding down the draft boards. 

3-4 DE? No, of course not, 3-4 hybrid Linebacker (along with Mathis obviously) I have no doubts he can thats what I meant, As to players sliding up and down the draft boards I honestly dont put alot of stock into mock drafts, anyone can make one of those 

Carradine is coming off of a torn ACL. Too much of a risk IMO.

Speaking of which... here's a good read on him and his recovery progress thus far:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130402/tank-carradine/index.html

"For Carradine, the path to the draft includes traveling a very similar path to the one Peterson hewed to last year, right down to working this spring with the same Houston-based physical therapist that helped Peterson shock the NFL world a season ago.

Carradine is in the process of making a flurry of team visits while still preparing for an April 20 private workout...

All indications are that his knee rehab is almost a month ahead of schedule..."

Risk is there but he'll have a chance to give teams a comfort zone if his workout goes well.

Ok, back on topic to Werner...

I don't think there's anyway we'd pass him up if he fell to us and I'd hope we wouldn't. Regardless, I think there's little to no chance he falls to us.

I think he has one of the highest floors in the draft, meaning a low bust chance, because he's very solid in every aspect of his game. He stood up a lot at FSU, I certainly think he'd be a very capable 3-4 OLB.

Plus, his name is Bjoern Werner... that's just a good football name.

3-4 DE? No, of course not, 3-4 hybrid Linebacker (along with Mathis obviously) I have no doubts he can thats what I meant, As to players sliding up and down the draft boards I honestly dont put alot of stock into mock drafts, anyone can make one of those 

I don't put much stock into them either, but when the mocks 1st started coming out, Werner was mocked as high as #2 and the analysts were saying he was deserving of it, now those same analysts that I've heard on NFL network say he could slip into the 2nd rd.. So I wondered why such the dramatic fall and I watched some of the gamefilm on youtube and I honestly didn't see anything that would make him such a high pick to begin with. Like I said earlier, IMO he don't have fluid hip movement or good waist bend. I think he would be bad in coverage and won't be able to get good leverage against the pro's he'll be facing every week. JMO, but I would go in a different direction.

He is a 4-3 end....We could still use him and he would do good, but we could find another rush OLB such as Jarvis Jones that would fit better schematically...Still would take Margus Hunt b4 him to despite being 26...

There are a lot of guys who were 4-3 ends that move to OLB and vice versa.  

• 1 month later...

Probably should wait til play actually starts to say this but I hope you are right.

True but some of the guys primarly Balzer and Nobody have been on the notion that Werner was overrated and wasn't athletic enough to play OLB when Pagano worked him out as a OLB. If the Bucs didn't trade for Revis imo they take Werner at 12 and at worst 19 to the Giants. I didn't put him in any of my mock drafts because i viewed him as a top 10 player thought there was no chance he fall to us but im glad he did.

It's always fun to go back and see how wrong some of you guys were about Werner about not being athletic enough to play OLB.

Don't know that he will be a good fit for the position just yet. I think he will be, after doing some more recon on him since the draft.

It's always fun to go back and see how wrong some of you guys were about the possibility of Werner not being athletic enough to play OLB.

I edited it for you to come across a little different. No intend to offend, though.

I didn't watch tape on him until after we drafted him....

I relied simply on the websites I used....   all of them described Werner as a 4-3 DE...   some were specific and said Left DE in a 4-3.

As always is the case, when it comes to what's better for the Colts,  I hope I'm wrong....    I hope Werner can make the conversion.  I hope Grigson/Pagano are right. 

If Werner can make the conversion and is what the front office thinks he is,  then the Colts have done their homework well..!

One last thought....   those in the media who didn't like the pick for the Colts all said roughly the same thing... he's a good player, but they wonder if he can make the switch.   They all saw him as a 4-3 guy, not a 3-4 player.

I didn't watch tape on him until after we drafted him....

I relied simply on the websites I used....   all of them described Werner as a 4-3 DE...   some were specific and said Left DE in a 4-3.

As always is the case, when it comes to what's better for the Colts,  I hope I'm wrong....    I hope Werner can make the conversion.  I hope Grigson/Pagano are right. 

If Werner can make the conversion and is what the front office thinks he is,  then the Colts have done their homework well..!

One last thought....   those in the media who didn't like the pick for the Colts all said roughly the same thing... he's a good player, but they wonder if he can make the switch.   They all saw him as a 4-3 guy, not a 3-4 player.

I'm going to make you feel better. With the comments Pagano has made following the mini camp , thiis guy will fit just fine in this defense. He's , according to Pagano , fast , explosive , athletic and very bright. If he has an explosive first step as reported , end of story considering the other attributes. This will be a perfect example of a bad 40 time pushing a player about 20 spots lower than his production had him scheduled to go. Providing he stays healthy , we have a massive steal. Or we have a head coach that is very capable of whiffing badly in the evaluation process.

Pagano worked him out as a OLB and said he was very athletic. He also stood up some at Florida State and did great as a OLB.

Great character , very bright , explosive first step and very athletic. Let's see... that or the fact that the talking heads say he's a 4-3 guy. Think I'll go with Pagano and Grigson on this one.