Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck & Jones = Manning & Saturday

Because they need a cornerback. And the really good ones will be gone when they pick at 11 in the 2nd. With this trade, they could address their two major needs in the first round.

they signed grimes and i just dont see them needing to move up to grab a cb desperately, but hey, stranger things have happenef and it would be a steal for us imo 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love if we pulled of the suggested Miami trade, where we send our 1st and 4th for two 2nds. I don't think it will happen, but if we could snag Justin Hunter and Barrett Jones in the second, I'd be dancing around like an elated, drunk Irishman.

I'd love if we pulled of the suggested Miami trade, where we send our 1st and 4th for two 2nds. I don't think it will happen, but if we could snag Justin Hunter and Barrett Jones in the second, I'd be dancing around like an elated, drunk Irishman.

That's probably the ideal for me too. We could throw all the other picks away and I'd still be happy!

I think people are grading him there because they don't rate his versatility and intelligence as highly as I do and focus more on the fact that his play is currently average at both guard and centre.

I'm not saying they're wrong and I'm right, just that we have different opinions on the guy. My opinion is that taking him in the second wouldn't be a reach.

Personally, I rather have a guy who is stellar at one position, rather than someone average at two positions. Especially at guard and center, where you can often find average to above average players late in the draft.

I think a lot of you are in for a surprise come draft day. With Grigson being an ex-olineman, it wouldn't surprise me if he can find a gem that no one is too familiar with. I think this draft, just like last year's (besides the Luck pick that we knew was coming) is going to be very interesting

Personally, I rather have a guy who is stellar at one position, rather than someone average at two positions. Especially at guard and center, where you can often find average to above average players late in the draft.

I probably would too, especially in our situation. I just don't see many "stellar" guards in this draft. There's probably 3 in the top tier, all of which will be gone at 24, then Jones tops the 2nd tier IMO.

I probably would too, especially in our situation. I just don't see many "stellar" guards in this draft. There's probably 3 in the top tier, all of which will be gone at 24, then Jones tops the 2nd tier IMO.

That's kind of the point, though.  We already have average guards and centers.  What we need is an upgrade.  If the choices are drafting a slight upgrade over someone like Linkenbach (i.e. another versatile but average G/C) and upgrading another position, I'd rather upgrade another position. 

Who knows, though.  The front office may think Jones may be major upgrade.  It's that's the case, then so be it.  I just don't see it, though.

That's kind of the point, though.  We already have average guards and centers.  What we need is an upgrade.  If the choices are drafting a slight upgrade over someone like Linkenbach (i.e. another versatile but average G/C) and upgrading another position, I'd rather upgrade another position. 

Who knows, though.  The front office may think Jones may be major upgrade.  It's that's the case, then so be it.  I just don't see it, though.

He's a major upgrade over McGlynn though. Wouldn't you agree?

He's a major upgrade over McGlynn though. Wouldn't you agree?

Who knows?  But if you're going to spend a 1st rounder on upgrading that spot, wouldn't it make more sense to spend it on someone who's elite at that spot, rather than "just okay, but can fill in other spots"?  We already have people on the roster who can do that.

I'm not enough high enough on BJ to draft him before giving Shipley a fair shake. Taking BJ even in the 3rd would be a "luxury" pick IMO. We have other needs that are far more pressing than Center. Our biggest need at Center is making the coaching staff realize that Satele is not the answer.

I'm not enough high enough on BJ to draft him before giving Shipley a fair shake. Taking BJ even in the 3rd would be a "luxury" pick IMO. We have other needs that are far more pressing than Center. Our biggest need at Center is making the coaching staff realize that Satele is not the answer.

Jones can play any position on the O-line. Not just center.

I wouldn't say there's a GOOD chance, personally. A decent chance.

If he was there at 24, I'd think long and hard about trading back. Really not sure what I'd do.

I don't think he's going to fall back that far, but then again, who knows. If he does, I think the Colts would take him. You can never have enough depth at CB.

I don't think he's going to fall back that far, but then again, who knows. If he does, I think the Colts would take him. You can never have enough depth at CB.

"You can never have enough depth at CB" <--- My motto in Madden. I carry 8 CB's every year

Jones can play any position on the O-line. Not just center.

I'm aware; however, I don't see him being elite at another other position than Center (I don't think he will be elite at Center, but definitely solid). Again, this is just my opinion. Also, the "intelligence" factor the OP mentioned isn't really put to maximum use at OG. He is obviously not going to be a tackle if drafted by us.

Because he doesn't have the.talent to play in the nfl

The scouts were all over Jeff Saturday also right? If he isn't drafted by the Colts he will be brought in as a UDFA. .Sam SchwartzsteinHe was second-team All-Pac-12, and received Stanford's athletics plus leadership award, the Al Masters Award..The Colts have put it out there they like smart football players.

Coach Shaw said "His ability to decipher things at the line of scrimmage and make sure everybody's on the same page is phenomenal. He sees (defenses) as well as any center I've been around."

I got these from a Wiki page but for a 7th round choice he could be a Fugger or a Saturday

The scouts were all over Jeff Saturday also right? If he isn't drafted by the Colts he will be brought in as a UDFA. .Sam SchwartzsteinHe was second-team All-Pac-12, and received Stanford's athletics plus leadership award, the Al Masters Award..The Colts have put it out there they like smart football players.

Coach Shaw said "His ability to decipher things at the line of scrimmage and make sure everybody's on the same page is phenomenal. He sees (defenses) as well as any center I've been around."

I got these from a Wiki page but for a 7th round choice he could be a Fugger or a Saturday

Just because one UDFA worked out doesn't mean they all will. No point on wasting a pick on a guy that probably won't be drafted.

I'm aware; however, I don't see him being elite at another other position than Center (I don't think he will be elite at Center, but definitely solid). Again, this is just my opinion. Also, the "intelligence" factor the OP mentioned isn't really put to maximum use at OG. He is obviously not going to be a tackle if drafted by us.

A lot of observers say he grades out well as a guard at NFL level. I'd play him there ahead of McGlynn form the first year or two but tell him straight off that he'll be switching to centre when he's ready and coach him/groom him in that vein.