Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I'm LOVING What Ryan Grigson Did Today

HarassedOffTheSite

From Colts.com

We tried to get better across the board.  We went with our convictions,” said Grigson.  “We wanted players to help us build off a great 2012 season.  We found guys who we think have a common thread.  They were guys Chuck (Pagano) and I both felt fit in a lot of different ways.

“First you have to love the game and play lights-out, all the things Chuck and I have looked for since we got here.  They’re going to be good teammates, guys who expect as much out of themselves, if not more, than their coaches will every day.  Those are the kind of guys you don’t have to keep your thumb on.  Those are the kind of guys who try to be great when no one’s looking. 

“Chemistry is an important factor.  Scheme is an important factor.  Being a good citizen is a factor.  The thing I always hold fast to is, ‘The tape doesn’t lie.’

THUMBNAIL LOOKS AT THE NEW COLTS:

Cherilus, 6-7, 325, started 71-of-75 games at right tackle for Detroit after being selected 17th overall in the 2008 draft.  Cherilus started 16 games last year, helping pave the way for the Lions to rank second in NFL in passing yards (4,927), third in net yards (6,540) and ninth in sacks allowed (29).

In 2011, he opened 15-of-16 games as Detroit ranked fourth in points scored, passing yards and red zone percentage and fifth in overall yards.  Cherilus was a 12-game starter in 2010.  The Lions finished fifth in the NFL in sacks per pass play, giving up just 27 sacks on 660 passing plays.

Sidbury, 6-3, 261, appeared in 48 games with Atlanta, totaling 17 tackles, 5.0 sacks and one fumble recovery.  In 2011, he played in 16 games and had 11 tackles and 4.0 sacks.  As a rookie in 2009, Sidbury appeared in 16 games and had five solo tackles, 1.0 sack and a fumble recovery that he returned for a touchdown.

Walden, 6-2, 250, has started 26-of-63 games after being the sixth-round pick of Dallas in 2008.  Walden joined Kansas City after being waived by Dallas, playing nine games for the Chiefs and two for Miami that year.   Walden was a special teams performer who played in 11 more games with Miami in 2010. 

Walden appeared in two games with Miami in 2010 before being waived, and he joined Green Bay.  Walden started two of nine games with the Packers, then moved into a starting capacity over the last two seasons.

Walden started 15 games at ROLB in 2010, then followed with nine starts at LOLB this past season.  Walden had 71 tackles, 38 solo, this past season, with three sacks and two interceptions.  He has 188 career tackles, nine sacks and two interceptions. 

Thomas, 6-4, 305, started 21-of-43 games with Miami and New England over the past five years.  Last season, Thomas started seven-of-16 games and helped block for an offense that ranked first in the NFL in points (557), net yards (6,846), first downs (444), third-down percentage (48.7) and red zone percentage (70.0).  In 2011, he appeared in 10 games (one start), playing mainly on special teams and in short-yardage situations.  With the Dolphins in 2008 and 2009, Thomas started 13-of-17 games.

Toler, 6-0, 192, opened 15-of-38 games for Arizona after being a fourth-round pick in 2009 (131st overall).  For his career, he has tallied 128 tackles, 118 solo, 19 passes defensed, five interceptions, including two returned for touchdowns, and 1.0 sack.

Last year, Toler started two-of-11 outings and had 27 tackles, 26 solo, eight passes defensed and two interceptions, including a career-long 102-yard return for a touchdown.  In 2010, Toler started 13-of-14 games and had a career-high 90 tackles, 82 solo, nine passes defensed, two forced fumbles and two interceptions, including a 66-yard scoring return.

“We’re trying to get better,” said Grigson.  “Going into this thing, you never know for sure who you’re going to get.  At the end of the day it came together, and we couldn't be happier.

And a blurb on Walden...

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-walden-due-for-a-raise-jb7ilmb-178262421.html

On the Wednesday after the Rams game, McCarthy was in front of the team making announcements. It was time for Walden to receive the defensive game ball.

"Certain guys, you call them up, everybody's laughing," McCarthy said.

When McCarthy called up Walden, the mood was dignified and all business.

"I mean, you could feel it," the coach said. "His teammates love him. I think you could go through that whole locker room, there isn't a man there that doesn't respect him and the way he goes about his business.

"How a group reacts to an individual, I think it says a ton about a person. I'm into that kind of stuff, watching how people interact in a group. I think it's a huge part of team winning and growing.

"Did you ever shake his hand? He's just a strong man. He's a hard dude. I love that guy."

Walden has "Relentless Grind" tattooed on his right arm. His left arm reads "Military Mind."

"You've got to be able to think," said Walden, explaining the underlying message on his left arm. "Keep your composure. It's a plan for life."

At 6 feet 2¼ inches and 245 pounds, Walden has below-average size for an outside linebacker in Green Bay's version of the 3-4. Capers and McCarthy both are trying to limit Walden's snaps so he doesn't wear down as he did late last season.

No one ever could question Walden's effort. Capers said Walden gives everything that he has to the team.

He can run, too, moves well laterally and chases all over the field.

"He's a very tough, physical kid," said Kevin Greene, who wouldn't want to coach any other kind of outside linebacker. "He stands up offensive tackles and tight ends, and he strikes people with the best of them."

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you more in the "loving what he did" camp, or the "loving what he DIDN'T do" camp?

I have mixed feelings, personally. I think we missed out on Vasquez. We'll live without Kruger. Might have overpaid for Toler, Walden and Cherilus. Glad we haven't done anything with Avril, for the time being. I'd like to see us get someone like Ricky Jean Francois, at the right price.

Very interesting day so far.

I'm really happy.  I like signing non-name guys who are actually pretty good when you look at the tape.  Cherilus in particular is far too maligned by fans who apparently thing that one of the 5 best offensive lines in sacks per pass attempt in 2012 was the worst pass blocking offensive line in the NFL in 2012.  And absolutely nobody knows who Toler is, which is fortunate for us, becuase he's really really good.  And Walden is a talented guy who's a really good fit, so he has a high ceiling.

The other two I could take or leave, but I really like those 3 signings.

Admittedly, I would have liked Levitre or Vasquez, without much of a preference between the two, but you can't sign EVERYONE you want.  If we went by what people on here say the Colts absolutely HAVE to do we'd be 100 million over the cap after trading for Revis, signing Wallace, Avril, Kruger, Levitre, Vasquez, Asomugha, Long, Reed, Barwin, Heyward-Bey, and Landry.

And hey, we could still end up with a couple of those guys at some point here.

All these guys look like solid players. I've heard mixed things about Cherius. The question I'm asking tho is, did we get better today? I'm still looking for an answer from my brain. I really don't know. Toler better than Powers? I can't honestly answer that. Cherius better? IDK I think its debatable. Time will tell. If not Grigson dropped the ball big time

All these guys look like solid players. I've heard mixed things about Cherius. The question I'm asking tho is, did we get better today? I'm still looking for an answer from my brain. I really don't know. Toler better than Powers? I can't honestly answer that. Cherius better? IDK I think its debatable. Time will tell. If not Grigson dropped the ball big time

Cherius was one of the better RTs in the league last year.

Are you more in the "loving what he did" camp, or the "loving what he DIDN'T do" camp?

I have mixed feelings, personally. I think we missed out on Vasquez. We'll live without Kruger. Might have overpaid for Toler, Walden and Cherilus. Glad we haven't done anything with Avril, for the time being. I'd like to see us get someone like Ricky Jean Francois, at the right price.

What did we pay for Cherilus?

There is no doubt that the Colts got better today. Toler and Cherius are definite upgrades.

Polian said on the radio this morning that the team that gets the Free Agent never gets as much production from him as the team that lost him, so you don't ever want to overpay for the guy.  So, it seems to me that Grigson is doing pretty much that.  He is avoiding the costly big names and being wise with the money. 

I'm not sure we overpaid for anyone.....     what makes you think we overpaid for Cherilus??    A story on NFL.com says he was the 2nd highest graded RT in the entire NFL last year.    What is that worth??

All these guys look like solid players. I've heard mixed things about Cherius. The question I'm asking tho is, did we get better today? I'm still looking for an answer from my brain. I really don't know. Toler better than Powers? I can't honestly answering that. Cherius better? IDK I think its debatable. Time will tell. If not Grigson dropped the ball big time

cherilus is DEFINITELY an upgrade...

I'm not sure I'm in either camp....    but, if you're forcing me to be any camp, I'd put myself in the "very happy with what he did" camp.     That's right next door to the 'loving' camp.    Almost, but not quite.

I could move over some depending on the rest of FA and what we may still do the rest of the way.....

Ehhh I speckon a bit of both.

I was thinking Vasquez was a lock. But apparently Grigson & Pagano did not think (from talent, character, chemistry & dilligence perspectives) he was worth the little bit more that he was asking. 

I did not want Kruger. I think he is more sizzle than steak and the beneficiary of being surrounded by outstanding talent being able to raise his impact.

We'll see if we are done or if there is more to do. Getting Laron Landry would be a good pickup.

I'm not sure we overpaid for anyone.....     what makes you think we overpaid for Cherilus??    A story on NFL.com says he was the 2nd highest graded RT in the entire NFL last year.    What is that worth??

5 years 38 for a truly good RT is fine with me. The thing that gave me 2nd thoughts was that I didn't recognize his name so I googled it. The first article that came up after the one announcing our signing read "Cherelius a bust?"

I was thinking Vasquez was a lock. But apparently Grigson & Pagano did not think (from talent, character, chemistry & dilligence perspectives) he was worth the little bit more that he was asking. 

I did not want Kruger. I think he is more sizzle than steak and the beneficiary of being surrounded by outstanding talent being able to raise his impact.

We'll see if we are done or if there is more to do. Getting Laron Landry would be a good pickup.

You thought Vasquez was a lock based on what, forum posters wanting him?

Cherius was one of the better RTs in the league last year.

Ya I read that and I also saw that he was being seen as a bust by some though. But several of the typical football sites had him listed top for or 6 of FA OT's so hopefully it works out great for us. I just have never heard of the guy myself

5 years 38 for a truly good RT is fine with me. The thing that gave me 2nd thoughts was that I didn't recognize his name so I googled it. The first article that came up after the one announcing our signing read "Cherelius a bust?"

Two words: the first is Detroit, the second is Lions.

Frankly, I take all the Lions fans saying "good riddance" as a good sign.

But seriously, his metrics are very good and the Lions offensive line was surprisingly solid stastically last season, contrary to popular belief, especially with the kind of junk they had carrying the ball out of the backfield.

I've only seen two stories with contract details.   Both say 5 years and $34 Mill.   $6.8 per.   That's about right for a RT.

$10 Mill signing bonus, by the way.    I'm OK with this.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/team/1363135291-906-301/gosder-cherilus-contract-numbers-with.html

There is no doubt that the Colts got better today. Toler and Cherius are definite upgrades.

agreed..  Thomas is the best Guard on the team now as well... IMO

Walden, for all of the groaning about his reported contract, had more tackles in 2012 than Kruger has in his career, by a pretty wide margin.

The Colts got much better today... I'm not familiar with the terms of all of the contracts, though.. don't want to be hamstrung in the future...

I've only seen two stories with contract details.   Both say 5 years and $34 Mill.   $6.8 per.   That's about right for a RT.

$10 Mill signing bonus, by the way.    I'm OK with this.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/team/1363135291-906-301/gosder-cherilus-contract-numbers-with.html

Ya that's not too bad I guess. Hope he's an anchor for 3 or 4 years tho

agreed..  Thomas is the best Guard on the team now as well... IMO

Walden, for all of the groaning about his reported contract, had more tackles in 2012 than Kruger has in his career, by a pretty wide margin.

The Colts got much better today... I'm not familiar with the terms of all of the contracts, though.. don't want to be hamstrung in the future...

Packers defense sucked. But I don't know much about Walden so I won't complain

I don't understand why people are so upset that we signed "no-name" players. You do realize our leading tackler last season was a "no-name" right??

Just throwing that out there

Ya I don't mind signing players that I don't recognize but the ones I expected us to land were either Levitre or Vasquez and we didn't get either one and it looks like both could have been had for similar to what we paid Cherilus

I can't complain about what we did today. we needed to get better in some spots and i don't think anyone can say we didn't. Butler re-signing and bringing in a RT is the best news today for me. Think what surprised me the most was  contracts not being as large as i thought on a per year basis. Landing a good RT for just under 7m a year when it was said many were expecting 10+/yr. 

Ya I don't mind signing players that I don't recognize but the ones I expected us to land were either Levitre or Vasquez and we didn't get either one and it looks like both could have been had for similar to what we paid Cherilus

Well you win & you lose... it's life. I'm sure we'll be fine though. Let's just enjoy the ride

In my mind what is interesting... more so than the specific players we did/didn't get... is the approach we took.

I don't think many expected us to get 5 players within a few hours. And I don't think many expected us to go after those types of players. We have stayed away from the higher-paid players, but there are still plenty of those players available, and, if they do not get what they are looking for, there asking price comes down, at which point I believe we pounce.

The Browns and the Dolphins, who were two of our biggest competition in FA, have put a big dent in there cap room. So the Jennings, Avrils and Smith's of the world are still available, and we are still viable options. Big needs are filled but not at a big cost. Now the 'luxury' signings can begin, and potentially with a bit of value.

WHY ON EARTH DID THEY GET DONALD THOMAS?! HE'S THE SAME SIZE AS LEVITRE AND COMES FROM A ZONE BLOCKING SYSTEM. AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

What an empty little retort...

He came from a smash mouthed Man blocking scheme at UConn. Was drafted into a Man blocking scheme under Sparano and won the starting RG on day 3 of training-camp. He suffered a serious lisfranc fracture on September 7th!! That IRd him for his entire rookie year. The next season he was not able to rebound and was dropped. He stayed hungry, kept pushing and finally landed with the Patriots where he proved he is not ONLY a Man blocker but that he is also talented enough to play the Erhardt-Perkins Stretch-Zone-Power.

Don't hate the kid because he is talented. Hate yourself for not being able to figure it out. ;)

I knew you didn't want Kruger; that's kind of what prompted me to ask. I talked myself into him, but my initial reaction to his asking price, way back when was that he's not worth $8m/year. So I'm okay with us passing on him.

I also thought Vasquez was a lock.

And Landry would be a good add, at the right price. Grigson is obviously not done...