Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Careful what we are all wishing for!

loudnproudcolt

Below is an article from Clark Judge from Sportsline. Not one of my favorite columnists, but on FA I agree totally with his analysis. I also must add though that I think with this years crop of Tackles and guards, we should go out and get one of each to mesh with our present group. The rest I will leave up to Grigson. I also found it interesting Grigson is quoted to end the story!

"If you want success," said Indianapolis general manager Ryan Grigson, "you can't start with guys who are on the wrong side of 30. That's just the truth. You have to have some youth, with some vets splashed in."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/clark-judge/21826036/nfl-free-agency-be-careful-what-you-wish-for-and-who-you-sign

Man, I'm glad he came out and said that. This is one of the things I have been saying all along. So those wanting Nnamdi and Reed shouldn't hold on to those dreams very much because it probably isn't happening.

I'd only want Reed for his leadership. His play is already not as good as he was a couple years ago.

Build with youth, but you need a few vets, like Reggie and Mathis, Redding, etc.

Agree totally, I would look for some very good signings, but probably no really big names. When I say that, understand most NFL fans would not consider Levitre, Bushrod, or Loadholdt a big name in my opinion. That is the only area I really am looking for Grigson to hunt!

I'd only want Reed for his leadership. His play is already not as good as he was a couple years ago.

Build with youth, but you need a few vets, like Reggie and Mathis, Redding, etc.

Yeah, but you can have vets well under the age of 30, let alone a soon to be 35 yr. old. He still plays a position we don't need either so that doesn't help his case IMO of coming here. I'm one of those that thinks it's a bad idea to move Bethea to SS, he doesn't have the size needed to play it.

i completely agree with this opinion! fans get too caught up in free agent hype. how did the free agents the colts signed last year work out? redding was ok, but got hurt a lot. this happens with older players. i'm not talking about the young ones teams sign for near league minimum.

Thank goodness Grigson finally said what I have been trying to say all along.

No team wants a over 30 guy unless the team is certain that they can still play, at a high level. Although we can't rule out Reed or Asomugha yet because Grigson will more than likely bring in one guy over 30 for some veteran leadership.

I see us ruling in guys like Cliff Avril, Antoine Cason, DRC, Eric Winston, Louis Vasquez, etc.

Man, I'm glad he came out and said that. This is one of the things I have been saying all along. So those wanting Nnamdi and Reed shouldn't hold on to those dreams very much because it probably isn't happening.

According to Grigson's quote, why couldn't either be one of the vets that get splashed in?

According to Grigson's quote, why couldn't either be one of the vets that get splashed in?

I just believe by "vets" he means guys that are 5th or 6th yr. guys but still under 30 yrs. old. Maybe he does bring in a guy over 30, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

I just believe by "vets" he means guys that are 5th or 6th yr. guys but still under 30 yrs. old. Maybe he does bring in a guy over 30, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

I guess to me he is saying he isn't going to mess with a bunch of older dudes, but will pepper a few in for leadership where they add value.

For my money, Reed will cost more than he's worth, unless he offers a Pags family discount.

Nmamdi, though, will have something to prove, and ought to offer his services for a bargain basement salary until he can show it was the system and not him. If he fails to do so, his contract should be structured to allow him to be cut at no cost to the team. VALUE.

I guess to me he is saying he isn't going to mess with a bunch of older dudes, but will pepper a few in for leadership where they add value.

For my money, Reed will cost more than he's worth, unless he offers a Pags family discount.

Nmamdi, though, will have something to prove, and ought to offer his services for a bargain basement salary until he can show it was the system and not him. If he fails to do so, his contract should be structured to allow him to be cut at no cost to the team. VALUE.

I don't want anything at all to do with either to be honest. Reed is just way past his prime and plays the same position as bethea so it would just cause more problems IMO bringing him in. I just don't see us bringing in Nnamdi either, their are better younger options IMO. Despite what some say, nobody knows if Nnamdi still has it or not. He looked absolutely awful in Philly and I still don't buy that it was all scheme related for why he sucked so bad. Yes, it played a role in it, but for somebody that is supposed to be so supremely talented at the CB position, one would think he could have shown improvement in 2 yrs., but he got worse as time passed. I don't think we will take the chance for him to prove himself. It's obvious he's still wanting too much money since he was unwilling to take a pay cut in Philly.

I don't want anything at all to do with either to be honest. Reed is just way past his prime and plays the same position as bethea so it would just cause more problems IMO bringing him in. I just don't see us bringing in Nnamdi either, their are better younger options IMO. Despite what some say, nobody knows if Nnamdi still has it or not. He looked absolutely awful in Philly and I still don't buy that it was all scheme related for why he sucked so bad. Yes, it played a role in it, but for somebody that is supposed to be so supremely talented at the CB position, one would think he could have shown improvement in 2 yrs., but he got worse as time passed. I don't think we will take the chance for him to prove himself. It's obvious he's still wanting too much money since he was unwilling to take a pay cut in Philly.

Another possible reason for not restructuring is simply wanting out of Philly. Wouldn't you?

I'm expecting Nmamdi to sign a very reasonable 1 year contract somewhere, and to have a comeback season. At the right price, it wouldn't be much risk for the Colts to kick those tires.

Another possible reason for not restructuring is simply wanting out of Philly. Wouldn't you?

I'm expecting Nmamdi to sign a very reasonable 1 year contract somewhere, and to have a comeback season. At the right price, it wouldn't be much risk for the Colts to kick those tires.

I seen an article somewhere a couple a weeks ago that said Nnamdi wanted to stay in Philly. Then he turned around and wouldn't take a pay cut. Who knows really? I don't think he'll sign a 1 yr. contract at his age.

I seen an article somewhere a couple a weeks ago that said Nnamdi wanted to stay in Philly. Then he turned around and wouldn't take a pay cut. Who knows really? I don't think he'll sign a 1 yr. contract at his age.

Every player who values his reputation SAYS he wants to stay. So I go by his actions.

And I'm not disputing that he's nearing the end of his career, but if he wants that one last big contract, he isn't getting it until he proves himself again first... Therefore the 1 yr deal.

Interestingly, Kreiger was just arguing this same point on NFL network yesterday morning.

Every player who values his reputation SAYS he wants to stay. So I go by his actions.

And I'm not disputing that he's nearing the end of his career, but if he wants that one last big contract, he isn't getting it until he proves himself again first... Therefore the 1 yr deal.

Interestingly, Kreiger was just arguing this same point on NFL network yesterday morning.

I still think we could find better value with a younger guy that will be around for a while.

How profound of Grigson!
So you don`t start with a Manning, Reggie, Freeney, Mathis, Clark? How does he sound now? 

Reggie, Redding, Mathis, Bethea our Old Dogs and not that far from finished.
We are very young.
With good younger FA`s expected to be coming for our WEAK Roster.
Would we be Hurt if an over 30 vet comes in on a short contract to fill a need?

NO, it would actually be Stupid not to look at that.

Griggs, Colts fans have been whinning Year after Year for our own Saviour Free Agents.
After all your hard work studying up on your best choices for OUR Team, just DO NOT PAY more for a Guy than We Fans think is too much. :dancing:

Thank goodness Grigson finally said what I have been trying to say all along.

No team wants a over 30 guy unless the team is certain that they can still play, at a high level. Although we can't rule out Reed or Asomugha yet because Grigson will more than likely bring in one guy over 30 for some veteran leadership.

I see us ruling in guys like Cliff Avril, Antoine Cason, DRC, Eric Winston, Louis Vasquez, etc.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000143445/article/colts-gm-replacing-bruce-arians-tom-telesco-tough

Grigson said that weeks ago. Clark Judge ought to credit the original story.

Yeah, a reasonable, team-friendly contract for any capable veteran, even at 32+ years old, is okay. That's not directly counter to what Grigson is talking about.

I'm also kind of annoyed at the tone of the article and the criticism of free agency there. Yeah, sometimes free agent signings don't work out. But sometimes draft picks don't work out. Do you avoid the draft? There are a ton of high profile signings that bombed, but there are far more lower level signings that wound up being home runs. You don't want to get burned by giving too much money to a guy who winds up not being worth it, but you also don't want to spend a first round draft pick on a guy that winds up not being worth it. Player acquisition in the NFL is not an exact science. There are simply too many variables.

I like what Giants GM Jerry Reese said a few years ago. The basic point was that you utilize every avenue possible to improve your team, be it the draft, free agency, or trades. His philosophy is very clearly centered around drafting well, but when you have the opportunity to improve your team in a cost-effective manner, you should be willing to pull the trigger.

Our team hasn't drafted very well the past few years. We have glaring holes at guard, guard, tackle, strong safety, defensive tackle, cornerback. And I'm being nice in not listing linebacker. We're losing a primary pass rusher in free agency. We have needs, and those needs can't just be addressed in the draft. It's also not a very good idea to have half your starters be first or second year guys.

I think a sound strategy is to supplement the draft with free agency. When you have primary needs resolved prior to the draft, it's easier to select players based on rating and value, rather than need. Can't be afraid to spend money, and you can't be afraid to be wrong. If you believe in your talent evaluation and your coaching staff, then your free agent signings ought to work out more often than not.