Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RG way ahead of schedule for return

amfootball

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8977038/robert-griffin-iii-way-ahead-schedule-recovery-according-dr-james-andrews

Looks like RG is really making progress according to Andrews. I really wish these doctors would just keep quiet. I mean it is Feb. Let the guy heal and don't fan the flames for a return before he is ready.

Yeah...the doctor is doing neither him nor Skins fans any favors and he's a marked man as it is. But it's unavoidable with the media hyper-hype he's saddled with.

As a Colts fan I'm delighted that Luck has played 2nd or even 3rd fiddle to him and Wilson. The more under the media radar the Colts, or any of their players are.....the better I like it.

Yeah...the doctor is doing neither him nor Skins fans any favors and he's a marked man as it is. But it's unavoidable with the media hyper-hype he's saddled with.

As a Colts fan I'm delighted that Luck has played 2nd or even 3rd fiddle to him and Wilson. The more under the media radar the Colts, or any of their players are.....the better I like it.

Well stated.  I was a little harsh.  I do wish I was an NFL DC though....I do not think I would be well liked especially against the Pistol/Zone Read/New wave Veer offenses.  They are effective 'for THE NOW."  :)

Well stated.  I was a little harsh.  I do wish I was an NFL DC though....I do not think I would be well liked especially against the Pistol/Zone Read/New wave Veer offenses.  They are effective 'for THE NOW."   :)

Hey...that's the harsh reality for Griffin and these Pistol/Zone Read guys.

NFL DC's aren't gonna sit there and say "he's a nice kid and he's great for the league" when it's their paycheck on the line.

I just find it hilarious that of all QB's....Joe Flacco....one of the most stationary and immobile QBs in the NFL, just QB'd his team to a Lombardi while a lot of fans are drooling on themselves over QBs that are almost a sure bet to get maimed.

NFL DC's aren't gonna sit there and say "he's a nice kid and he's great for the league" when it's their paycheck on the line.

I just find it hilarious that of all QB's....Joe Flacco....one of the most stationary and immobile QBs in the NFL, just QB'd his team to a Lombardi while a lot of fans are drooling on themselves over QBs that are almost a sure bet to get maimed.

So many young kids on the site do not realize these are not new offenses....they are variations of ancient offenses.  The Pro-Style QB is never going away.  Once again well stated pacolts56.  Excellent commentary! :thmup:

One of those pistol guys was just in the Super Bowl too, and was a missed call away from winning it. People seem to forget that a lot.

He was also a missed call away from not being in it.

? What missed call are you referring to? In any case, he was still in the Super Bowl, and the pistol offense/mobile quarterbacks are still a win win. Only one of these guys got hurt last season (and missed only a single game) and they were pretty successful and mind-blowing this year, getting their teams to the playoffs and everything. (Well, everyone except for Cam)

? What missed call are you referring to? In any case, he was still in the Super Bowl, and the pistol offense/mobile quarterbacks are still a win win. Only one of these guys got hurt last season (and missed only a single game) and they were pretty successful this year, getting their teams to the playoffs and everything. (Well, everyone except for Cam)

The one on 4th down vs Atlanta. Mike Vick also missed significant time.

The one on 4th down vs Atlanta. Mike Vick also missed significant time.

Ah. I have a short memory but I'll look it up. I was actually cheering for Atlanta in that game, I'm surprised I don't remember it lol. As for Vick...eh, the guy has been known to be brittle in the past as well. Having a completely incompetent offensive line didn't help things either, guy was getting hit after every down, not to mention getting killed in the media due to the losing thing.

One of those pistol guys was just in the Super Bowl too, and was a missed call away from winning it. People seem to forget that a lot.

No dispute Quiz....like I mentioned the offenses are so effective...now...and it may be awhile before the defenses can catch up.  

Green Bay, for example could barely get a hand on Kaep.....and the Ravens did not do much better other than a 15 yard penalty on Ngata.  Defenses will beging to hit whomever they think has the ball.....that is the way it has to be played....15 yarders or not :flag:  :flag:  :flag:

No dispute Quiz....like I mentioned the offenses are so effective...now...and it may be awhile before the defenses can catch up.  

Green Bay, for example could barely get a hand on Kaep.....and the Ravens did not do much better other than a 15 yard penalty on Ngata.  Defenses will beging to hit whomever they think has the ball.....that is the way it has to be played....15 yarders or not :flag:  :flag:  :flag:

True that my friend but as we saw earlier this season, those late hits on the quarterback will be noticed by coaches, appeals/complaints will be made, and soon suspensions and ejections from games will start as well. Heck, Griff reached a point where he had to put his hands up in the air to show defenders he did not have the ball when he was selling the PA so well and killing defenses. Those cheap shots stopped, too. Yes, there's a chance that they will be hit more, but defenses will have to pay the price.

Yes....he was.

But two things to note....

Colin Kaepernick had a year of NFL coaching under Harbaugh and proved himself very capable of operating in the pocket for most of a football game .

And secondly....any gimmick can work for 1-2 seasons, but NFL DCs will without question attack Zone/Read - Pistol QBs with a vengeance. At some point Head Coaches and/or OCs will have to pull the plug on running these guys so much.

RGIII is one of the fastest and most elusive runners we've seen in the NFL...ever. And he got smoked, downfield...by a 350 lb. DT. Unless the league comes up with even more ridiculous rules protecting the QB, I don't see how the trend can last.

True that my friend but as we saw earlier this season, those late hits on the quarterback will be noticed by coaches, appeals/complaints will be made, and soon suspensions and ejections from games will start as well. Heck, Griff reached a point where he had to put his hands up in the air to show defenders he did not have the ball when he was selling the PA so well and killing defenses. Those cheap shots stopped, too. Yes, there's a chance that they will be hit more, but defenses will have to pay the price.

There wasn't an abundance of cheAp shots/late hits....u wanna fake running the ball or hold it too long you might get hit

Yes....he was.

But two things to note....

Colin Kaepernick had a year of NFL coaching under Harbaugh and proved himself very capable of operating in the pocket for most of a football game .

And secondly....any gimmick can work for 1-2 seasons, but NFL DCs will without question attack Zone/Read - Pistol QBs with a vengeance. At some point Head Coaches and/or OCs will have to pull the plug on running these guys so much.

RGIII is one of the fastest and most elusive runners we've seen in the NFL...ever. And he got smoked. Unless the league comes up with even more ridiculous rules protecting the QB, I don't see how the trend can last.

Griffin and Wilson are good in the pocket as well. I don't see what you're getting at there. Griff got hurt the second (more serious) time off a botched fumble. I don't see this as a gimmick. Even guys like Cam can stand tall in the pocket, and with size like he and Kaepernick's, it's like having a stronger-armed Ben Roethlisberger. It won't take ridiculous rules in my opinion...just a few obvious penalties for roughing the passer. I think that pocket guys and dancy guys can co-exist.

Well said Quiz.

I feel that in NFL meetings there will be some discussion about this.  Play fakes are a huge part of the Zone Read offenses. 

I know that some feel that there are some cheap shots....as there always will be. When you have guys playing out those fakes with expertise, it is the DE or OLB's contain responsibility to HIT.  It HAS to be done.  If I am the coordinator I hit the QB until he does not wish to run at me again.  That is exactly how veer/option/defense is played.

I know how strong these offenses have been, and this is the way to stop it.  You have to put the fear in them...just like a receiver over the middle...

Sorry guys if you do not agree...I swear I am not Gregg Williams :)  Just talking defense.  Love it.

There wasn't an abundance of cheAp shots/late hits....u wanna fake running the ball or hold it too long you might get hit

There were plenty of cheap shots. They knew that he did not have the ball, and in some cases Griff was being pushed down hard in the dirt after already being tackled as the defender got up. I've seen bull like that in high school. We had a running QB as well and when defenders can't get to him on time, they try to send a dirty message...well, with bounties still fresh on the league's mind, don't be so surprised when guys get punished severely for such behavior. It's unnecessary.

Well said Quiz.

I feel that in NFL meetings there will be some discussion about this.  Play fakes are a huge part of the Zone Read offenses. 

I know that some feel that there are some cheap shots....as there always will be. When you have guys playing out those fakes with expertise, it is the DE or OLB's contain responsibility to HIT.  It HAS to be done.  If I am the coordinator I hit the QB until he does not wish to run at me again.  That is exactly how option/defense is played.

I know how strong these offenses have been, and this is the way to stop it.  You have to put the fear in them...just like a receiver over the middle...

Sorry guys if you do not agree...I swear I am not Gregg Williams :)  Just talking defense.  Love it.

haha I just made a reference to he and his headhunting ways in my other post.

haha I just made a reference to he and his headhunting ways in my other post.

We all have to realize there is a fine line between a legal hit and a cheap shot.  You may get a late hit or two hitting the QB.  If not you risk what happened against the Pack.......bye bye Kaepernick.....bye bye Olympic speed with RG3...etc....

There is absolutely no dispute with anyone that these offenses are a pain in the 'butt' for any DC that comes across it....you will get killed if you do not play aggressively....and HIT the QB.

Griffin and Wilson are good in the pocket as well. I don't see what you're getting at there. Griff got hurt the second (more serious) time off a botched fumble. I don't see this as a gimmick. Even guys like Cam can stand tall in the pocket, and with size like he and Kaepernick's, it's like having a stronger-armed Ben Roethlisberger. It won't take ridiculous rules in my opinion...just a few obvious penalties for roughing the passer. I think that pocket guys and dancy guys can co-exist.

If by "dancy" you mean good pocket/roll out mobility....I couldn't agree more.

But we all know what I'm talking about here...a Read/Option QB who instantly becomes a ball carrier once he keeps the ball is playing Russian Roulette....and that is what did RGIII in with both a concussion and the ACL.

If Shanahan or any other coach not named Chuck Pagano wants to do that with their QB....then be my guest.

We all have to realize there is a fine line between a legal hit and a cheap shot.  You may get a late hit or two hitting the QB.  If not you risk what happened against the Pack.......bye bye Kaepernick.....bye bye Olympic speed with RG3...etc....

There is absolutely no dispute with anyone that these offenses are a pain in the 'butt' for any DC that comes across it....you will get killed if you do not play aggressively....and HIT the QB.

Yep. I have no problem with legal hits. I applaud them, even though I'm an offensive guy I know that the NFL needs balance and if you let the QB do whatever he wants, then the game gets out of hand. As long as the defense is within the rules and playing aggressively yet intelligently, then I'm all for it. Come on, I'm a fan of the Houston Watts I mean Texans. haha

There were plenty of cheap shots. They knew that he did not have the ball, and in some cases Griff was being pushed down hard in the dirt after already being tackled as the defender got up. I've seen bull like that in high school. We had a running QB as well and when defenders can't get to him on time, they try to send a dirty message...well, with bounties still fresh on the league's mind, don't be so surprised when guys get punished severely for such behavior. It's unnecessary.

That's just chippy Jeff Fisher stuff....bush league maybe, but not fineable cheap shot territory.

But we all know what I'm talking about here...a Read/Option QB who instantly becomes a ball carrier once he keeps the ball is playing Russian Roulette....and that is what did RGIII in with both a concussion and the ACL.

If Shanahan or any other coach not named Chuck Pagano wants to do that with their QB....then be my guest.

12 picked up his fair amount of first downs with runs, and his rushing yardage shows that. No, he doesn't run as much as the others but still, he has the same chance of getting hit as they do when he does that stuff. That was one of the plusses I remember a lot of people saying that 12 had last year when he was drafted. Peyton Manning with wheels...If Schaub could even run a 5.3 I would be a happy guy. I would think that all football players are playing Russian Roulette when they step on the field...and given Griff's injury, we may not see as much of him doing his razzle dazzle for a while. But will there be the threat still there, with him possibly having the ball, or Morris possibly having the ball, and DEs/LBs freezing in their tracks, confused as to who has it? And will these result in more first downs/scores? I think so.

Yep. I have no problem with legal hits. I applaud them, even though I'm an offensive guy I know that the NFL needs balance and if you let the QB do whatever he wants, then the game gets out of hand. As long as the defense is within the rules and playing aggressively yet intelligently, then I'm all for it. Come on, I'm a fan of the Houston Watts I mean Texans. haha

I am an in the trenches....grinder.  I grew up watching Otis Sistrunk and Deacon Jones Head slaps....

Hitting a QB (or RB for that matter) on a play fake is nothing to me...even if it takes a 15 yard penalty to tell them..."You are not going to do that today."  Not on my watch....

Have to laugh though....You said Houston Watts  :funny: It does seem like there are 11 of him when WE play them :)

That's just chippy Jeff Fisher stuff....bush league maybe, but not fineable cheap shot territory.

Maybe so, but if we see enough of it and especially if guys get hurt in situations where they shouldn't, I could see the NFL taking a look at it. We all know Goodell and his quest for a safe game...for better or for worse...

12 picked up his fair amount of first downs with runs, and his rushing yardage shows that. No, he doesn't run as much as the others but still, he has the same chance of getting hit as they do when he does that stuff. That was one of the plusses I remember a lot of people saying that 12 had last year when he was drafted. Peyton Manning with wheels...If Schaub could even run a 5.3 I would be a happy guy. I would think that all football players are playing Russian Roulette when they step on the field...and given Griff's injury, we may not see as much of him doing his razzle dazzle for a while. But will there be the threat still there, with him possibly having the ball, or Morris possibly having the ball, and DEs/LBs freezing in their tracks, confused as to who has it? And will these result in more first downs/scores? I think so.

Without a doubt they all face some risk....but wouldn't you agree that Andrew ran out of pure necessity behind that dog meat O-line?

And your Matt Shaub has a stellar O-line in front of him plus Arian Foster...congratulations, be happy with that!

My thing is why heighten the QB's risk with designed plays that DCs are sure to adjust to. I'm telling you they're gonna do it and it could really end bad unless the NFL turns it all into two-hand touch.

IMO....Shanahan almost ran Griffin into early retirement, and if I were Dan Snyder I'd have stadium security throw him and his cub scout son out on their rear ends if they even come close to running him that much again this coming season.

They got away with that for one year....sort of....they won't get away with it again.

Without a doubt they all face some risk....but wouldn't you agree that Andrew ran out of pure necessity behind that dog meat O-line?

And your Matt Shaub has a stellar O-line in front of him plus Arian Foster...congratulations, be happy with that!

My thing is why heighten the QB's risk with designed plays that DCs are sure to adjust to. I'm telling you they're gonna do it and it could really end bad unless the NFL turns it all into two-hand touch.

IMO....Shanahan almost ran Griffin into early retirement, and if I were Dan Snyder I'd have stadium security throw him and his cub scout son out on their rear ends if they even come close to running him that much again this coming season.

They got away with that for one year....sort of....they won't get away with it again.

Yeah, I think Shanahan is going to be mindful of injuries or nags from now on...but that field turf isn't exactly the floor of the Taj Mahal. I think Snyder knows this as well. But guys who can run will run, it's a simple fact...what they did put their teams in position to win, and put them in the post-season. A lot of guys don't care as much about their well-being when they're playing...and it's unfortunate but a reality. I think they'll be just as successful this year as this past season. I mean, look with what we have to work with in the Draft...Matt Barkley? Really? If that's the next generation of QBs in the NFL, then no thank you lol. Just as 12 relies on his arm and is good with it...well, the others rely a little more on their legs as well, and they are also pretty darn good with it. Bring it on, D coordinators. Let's see how this game of chess goes.

Yeah, I think Shanahan is going to be mindful of injuries or nags from now on...but that field turf isn't exactly the floor of the Taj Mahal. I think Snyder knows this as well. But guys who can run will run, it's a simple fact...what they did put their teams in position to win, and put them in the post-season. A lot of guys don't care as much about their well-being when they're playing...and it's unfortunate but a reality. I think they'll be just as successful this year as this past season. I mean, look with what we have to work with in the Draft...Matt Barkley? Really? If that's the next generation of QBs in the NFL, then no thank you lol. Just as 12 relies on his arm and is good with it...well, the others rely a little more on their legs as well, and they are also pretty darn good with it. Bring it on, D coordinators. Let's see how this game of chess goes.

I can guarantee one thing...'bring it on they (still wish it was me)" will.  The objective is to 'stymie' the offense.....seek and ______!!!  Fill in the blank :)

I believe it is Jaworski that always says QBs are paid to throw the ball. There is a reason a running QB has never won a bowl. I really like Kaep a lot but if you watch all four downs of that last drive when he is inside the 10 he looks completely lost. His throws were terrible too. On the last play if he had just threw the ball inbounds his receiver would have had a chance to catch it or at the very least would have caused the refs to throw the flag. That is my main issue with these guys that are a hybrid. I think they get brain lock at what to do at times because they have this tremdendous atheltic ability at their disposal. I would much rather have the cerebral guys like Brady or Montana that beat you before the snap and can alter their decision making process post snap too. In the end, the QB position is all about football intelligence and with the way the defenses are coming up on these run QBs, I would be hesitant to keep running them. RG was never the same after the ravens guy hit his knee.

I believe it is Jaworski that always says QBs are paid to throw the ball. There is a reason a running QB has never won a bowl. I really like Kaep a lot but if you watch all four downs of that last drive when he is inside the 10 he looks completely lost. His throws were terrible too. On the last play if he had just threw the ball inbounds his receiver would have had a chance to catch it or at the very least would have caused the refs to throw the flag. That is my main issue with these guys that are a hybrid. I think they get brain lock at what to do at times because they have this tremdendous atheltic ability at their disposal. I would much rather have the cerebral guys like Brady or Montana that beat you before the snap and can alter their decision making process post snap too. In the end, the QB position is all about football intelligence and with the way the defenses are coming up on these run QBs, I would be hesitant to keep running them. RG was never the same after the ravens guy hit his knee.

I agree....IMO, Kaepernick has all the tools EXCEPT red zone touch. He could develop that I suppose...but yes, you could see it on that fade to Crabtree.

And yes.....I prefer the drop back type of QB, along with a good rushing attack.

Griffin has great football I.Q. QBs may be paid to throw the ball, but I'm sure a coach cares more about wins in the end. It's called the Tebow Effect lol. I could flip your argument around as well...even recently, we saw Brady go down instead of picking up a crucial first for his team. I believe this happened against the Ravens. We've also seen guys like Schaub and Manning get knocked over where a guy like Wilson or Kaep would have picked up a first down easily. Every quarterback has his pros and cons.