Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This yrs. draft is kind of dry for true 3-4 DE's that fit our system.

It's fairly noticeable that in our 3-4 defensive system that Pagano like's really big DE's. They have big one's in Baltimore and the guys we were forced to use were all 300+ lbs too. IMO they should also be at least 6'3". In order to draft a guy that fits the stature that were looking for, it seems apparent we'll have to take somebody that played DT in a 4-3 system in college. I'm not a fan of that because I would rather have somebody that is familiar with the technique's they will need to utilize in our system. With that said, here are some of the guy's in the draft that played DE in college but all of them are a little light in the britches compared to what I've seen Baltimore use and us so far.

Ezikiel Ansah - 6'5" 275 lbs.

Datone Jones - 6'4" 280 lbs.

Margus Hunt - 6'8" 277 lbs.

Devin Taylor - 6'4" 275 lbs.

William Gholston - 6'6" 278 lbs.

Joe Kruger - 6'6" 280 lbs. 

Margus Hunt intrigue's the heck out of me, but his age scares me too. He no doubt could add weight and not lose any effectiveness IMO. Easily could bulk up 15-20 lbs and it would be hard to tell because he's so tall and lanky. I've seen him projected to go in the 2nd rd. and IMO that is way too high and we don't have a 2nd rder. anyway. As far as the rest of those guys, none of them really give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Kruger may be a nice late rd. pick, especially if we can get his brother here too.

While size is important the Ravens Left Ends rotate in Arthur Jones and Pernell McPhee, McPhee is only 280lbs (he was drafted when Pagano was in charge of the D). so my thinking is, yes size is important but size is not the determining factor, I actually think Pagano would be alright with a guy that was 280-290lbs as long as he was explosive and could hold his ground 

While size is important the Ravens Left Ends rotate in Arthur Jones and Pernell McPhee, McPhee is only 280lbs (he was drafted when Pagano was in charge of the D). so my thinking is, yes size is important but size is not the determining factor, I actually think Pagano would be alright with a guy that was 280-290lbs as long as he was explosive and could hold his ground 

What do you think about the Kruger brother tandem on our side? Paul playing OLB and Joe playing DE?

There just isn't much to choose from IMO and I definitely think we need to add a DE. Ansah is too raw for my liking and he'll go in the 1st rd. anyway, Jones plays lazy IMO, don't know a lot about Taylor or Gholston, and I think Kruger can be OK, but nothing special. This is why I like Hunt but like I said, I don't like that he'll be 26 before he plays a snap in the NFL. 

There just isn't much to choose from IMO and I definitely think we need to add a DE. Ansah is too raw for my liking and he'll go in the 1st rd. anyway, Jones plays lazy IMO, don't know a lot about Taylor or Gholston, and I think Kruger can be OK, but nothing special. This is why I like Hunt but like I said, I don't like that he'll be 26 before he plays a snap in the NFL. 

Yeah Im not touchin Ansah, 

Joe Vellano

Joe Kruger

Brandon Williams

Craig Roh (Undrafted has trouble getting off of blocks but a very quick first step, could work with some coaching)

Several more I have in mind in FA

Yeah Im not touchin Ansah, 

Joe Vellano

Joe Kruger

Brandon Williams

Craig Roh (Undrafted has trouble getting off of blocks but a very quick first step, could work with some coaching)

Several more I have in mind in FA

I would like for it to be addressed in the draft, in my opinion with the needs on O-line, OLBer, CB, and SS, it is going to be difficult to address all those through free agency and IMO O-line has to be the main position addressed via free agency. We need a couple of veterans because it normally takes a while for rookies to develop on the O-line.

I would like for it to be addressed in the draft, in my opinion with the needs on O-line, OLBer, CB, and SS, it is going to be difficult to address all those through free agency and IMO O-line has to be the main position addressed via free agency. We need a couple of veterans because it normally takes a while for rookies to develop on the O-line.

Im thinkin target Rinehart or Vasquez in FA, Both Guard spots need addressed and we could fill the other Guard spot with the draft, just not much in FA that would fit our scheme. depending on what we do in the first I'd target Travis Frederick in the 3rd or try to trade up into the late 2nd and get him there

It's fairly noticeable that in our 3-4 defensive system that Pagano like's really big DE's. They have big one's in Baltimore and the guys we were forced to use were all 300+ lbs too. IMO they should also be at least 6'3". In order to draft a guy that fits the stature that were looking for, it seems apparent we'll have to take somebody that played DT in a 4-3 system in college. I'm not a fan of that because I would rather have somebody that is familiar with the technique's they will need to utilize in our system. With that said, here are some of the guy's in the draft that played DE in college but all of them are a little light in the britches compared to what I've seen Baltimore use and us so far.

Margus Hunt intrigue's the heck out of me, but his age scares me too. He no doubt could add weight and not lose any effectiveness IMO. Easily could bulk up 15-20 lbs and it would be hard to tell because he's so tall and lanky. I've seen him projected to go in the 2nd rd. and IMO that is way too high and we don't have a 2nd rder. anyway. As far as the rest of those guys, none of them really give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Kruger may be a nice late rd. pick, especially if we can get his brother here too.

You're correct....    most of the players listed as DE's are more traditional 4-3 DE's....

Some (a few) **might** be able to make the conversion.

Honestly,  some of those DE's might just as well make the conversion to 3-4 OLB...  guys like Jordan and Mingo and so on.

I think if we go DL in the 1st,  we'd look at guys who are DT's and hope that they can play in a 3-4 scheme.    They'd have to be in the 285-305 range.

I see 14 DE/DT's with probable 1st round grades.   That's likely unprecedented.   I'm hopeful the Grigson/Pagano brains can find one they like at 24,  or perhaps (preferably for me) trade back to the top of the 2nd and take him there.    Same with Corner if we go that way.

Good topic....   glad you brought it up....

To me, Brandon Williams would be a really good fit on this team at DE. Kid is huge at 340, great pass rush ability, stout against the run,can play nose and DE, great attitude. He's a Colt to me.....

#66 in this Senior Bowl practice clip. Look how much penetration he gets into the back field. Stands his ground easily. He's Huge.

http://youtu.be/qEJeUILylZQ

From what I keep hearing the Raiders free agent DT Desmond Bryant is well-suited for the 3-4 DE spot. At 6-6 and 310lbs. he has ideal size for the position and was considered the Raiders best d-lineman last season.  He's only 27 too so he might be someone to check out in free agency.

From what I keep hearing the Raiders free agent DT Desmond Bryant is well-suited for the 3-4 DE spot. At 6-6 and 310lbs. he has ideal size for the position and was considered the Raiders best d-lineman last season.  He's only 27 too so he might be someone to check out in free agency.

Yeah, I don't ever see any Raiders games so I don't know much about him, but he certainly has the size to be the perfect fit in our system.

Yeah, I don't ever see any Raiders games so I don't know much about him, but he certainly has the size to be the perfect fit in our system.

Same here...I can't stand them so I don't watch them.

But as far as Bryant goes, this came off of ESPN's insider look at free agents...

"Sometimes players can get lost in the shuffle because

of their own versatility. Bryant bounced back from looking out of his

depth as a rookie to flash talent in 2010 and 2011 despite being shifted

between tackle and end. It wasn't until 2012 we really got to see what

he could do.

This season, he picked up four sacks, 11 quarterback hits and 20

quarterback hurries on 350 pass rushes. That gave him the sixth-highest

pass rushing productivity score of all defensive tackles who rushed the

passer at least 200 times. It was a big part of why he ended the season

with our sixth-highest grade of all defensive tackles. He may not repeat

that feat going forward, but getting anywhere near that sort of level

would represent an upgrade for a lot of teams."

And for what its worth....he went to Harvard, so I guess he's got some smarts.

Desmond Bryant of the Raiders and Randy Starks of Miami at 6'3", 305, 29 years of age, both fit the bill.

I agree that there isn't really a big 3-4 DE available for us in first round. I have said in the past that some of these guys are going to put on weight as they shift into an NFL strength program. When you shift from being a student who can onlt spend a limited amount of time in the weight room to a professional athlete who spends there life training, bulking up can happen.

That being said, there are a few FA I think woould be interesting. #1 is Ricky Jean-Francois. He was a solid 3-4DE for the niners, he is young, and he wont be expensive. I also like Richard Seymour on a short term deal. I like this for one two reasons. First he was an excellent 3-4 DE  for the Pats and second, Moala's knee injury may keep him out of the line up for the start of the season. Jason Jones from Seattle is a solid option too but he is coming off a knee injury too.

I'd absolutely love it if we could pick up Randy Starks in FA, but I can't really see the Dolphins letting him walk.

Yeah....dang it, the Dolphins have 35m in cap space...so it might be tough prying him away from them.

Especially if they don't spend any of it keeping Jake Long around....which sounds like what might happen.

Nice... Wes Horton USC... another Tall and Heavy to think about. FA Kruger and Brother Joe Kruger would be interesting mix...