Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Very nice story on the 49ers Alex Smith....

NewColtsFan

....  and his situation about losing his starting job to Colin Kaepernick.

It talks about how well Smith has handled this, and it turns out,  this happened to Smith back in college.   Except the roles were reversed.   Smith was the back-up and the starter got hurt and Smith took over and never looked back.   But he did appreciate how his back-up supported him.

An interesting and easy read....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000131637/article/alex-smiths-2012-saga-has-whiff-of-the-familiar

He will be a big name free agent next year that goes to a team and totally blows it. He will get stuck on a bad team that does nothing, bad offense, and then everyone will finally be saying Harbaugh got it right.

I don't see him going to the Jets either. They love Sanchez.....No I am not joking, they gave him a huge contract before the season started. They would rather trade their best player Revis than cutting Mr. interception.

He will be a big name free agent next year that goes to a team and totally blows it. He will get stuck on a bad team that does nothing, bad offense, and then everyone will finally be saying Harbaugh got it right.

I don't see him going to the Jets either. They love Sanchez.....No I am not joking, they gave him a huge contract before the season started. They would rather trade their best player Revis than cutting Mr. interception.

Feel that Jets only care about attracting media attention instead of winning games.

They don't love Sanchez.  They gambled big time by giving him a vote-of-confidence contract and it backfired in their face.  They would rather trade Revis because Revis actually has value and they can't afford him, either.  They won't cut Sanchez before June and even then his cap hit is large enough that it might not be worth it to cut him until 2014.

If he sticks around he'd pretty much be a dead man walking to that organization unless his play on the field takes a 180 degree turn (assuming he can even get on the field).

Alex Smith was a game manager. Stats do not tell the story. Harbaugh limited him to do just enough to win games for them. If you go back to last season, look at all the field goals, look at how those games were basically decided by 1 TD and a bunch of field goals. Their offense did not roll and post points with him like they are with Kaepernick now.

Alex Smith was a game manager. Stats do not tell the story. Harbaugh limited him to do just enough to win games for them. If you go back to last season, look at all the field goals, look at how those games were basically decided by 1 TD and a bunch of field goals. Their offense did not roll and post points with him like they are with Kaepernick now.

Agree completely. He plays not to lose games for them but once in a while he will be asked to make plays, like the Ravens game and the AFCCG last season, he just cannot do it. Converting only 1 3rd down in the AFCCG pretty much lost him the job.

Oh yeah, underrated part of last years NFCCG I feel is how bad Smith was. I mean I really like this guy but he wasn't too sharp in that game. Sure the Giants had a pass rush, sure the special teams blew it.......but Smith did not help either.

And yes I know Smith did great vs. the Saints D the week before but the Saints D was AWFUL. If there is one QB who I think can often blame his D for some playoff woes it is Drew Brees. Sometimes Rodgers too. The Saints/Packers D's can give up points and yards so fast to the point it makes you shake your head and laugh.

I was really iffy on the switch to Kaepernick full time when you had a SB ready team but it has worked out great. Jim Harbaugh, man knows his stuff. I hope he wins it all.

Smith has handled it well, kudos to him.  He will get a chance next year to be a starter.  He has certainly shown he has the potential.  He is only 28, so he still has 5+ years of football left in him.  Could Arizona be calling?  I don't see BA wanting to work with a veteran as he really knows how to groom rookies, but I think that would be a good fit.  Jets wouldn't be too bad either, but Arizona seems like a better fit to me.  Plus, he would get to face his former team twice a year to show them why he thinks they made a mistake.

Smith has handled it well, kudos to him.  He will get a chance next year to be a starter.  He has certainly shown he has the potential.  He is only 28, so he still has 5+ years of football left in him.  Could Arizona be calling?  I don't see BA wanting to work with a veteran as he really knows how to groom rookies, but I think that would be a good fit.  Jets wouldn't be too bad either, but Arizona seems like a better fit to me.  Plus, he would get to face his former team twice a year to show them why he thinks they made a mistake.

I see him going to Arizona too. Makes the wins and possibility of winning the division even sweeter.

I do have to give it to Alex because he handled himself like a true professional.  You help your team get to the NFCCG the year before and get dumped when you get hurt for a young inexperienced QB.  I am sure he was bitter and angry inside.  If he was not angry about it then I would be a bit worried, but on the outside he handled it really well.

Harbaugh made a gutsy call, but that team was limited by Alex and the next team he signs with will have the same thing.  Alex just is not a dynamic QB to go out there and take you right down the field and win.  The NCFCG last year was a prime example.  He never could do anything out there and the only reason they were close because of their defense.

Sure he may not lose you the game, but he is the QB that will not win the game for you either.  You better have a top tier run game and arguably one of the defenses to play if you really want to win with Alex.

Hes as old as Brandon Weeden is this year as a rookie lol

Hes as old as Brandon Weeden is this year as a rookie lol

haha yeah, but Cleveland has some decent pieces in place.  With the Steelers looking like they are on the decline and the Ravens losing Lewis and possibly Reed very soon, the Bengals and Browns could be the two fighting for the AFC North title for the next few years

"And I really liked Alex. He was my friend. I helped him any way I could. But at the same time, you're [ticked off]. Really [ticked off.]"

I don't feel sorry for Alex Smith at all. HC Jim Harbaugh literally saved his career from the NFL trash dump. In addition, every other player on a roster faces getting cut if they collapse & lose games, why is the QB immune from this reality? Okay, Alex Smith play well last season, but the HC is paid to win games, division titles, & Championships & coach Harbaugh felt CK gave the 49ers the best chance to win. That's how the NFL works...Cry me a river Alex; cry me a river...

this just tells me alex smith isn't stupid. he behaving the way he needs to behave to maximize his chances at another big contract & starting position

except in the division round last season when he beat drew brees at his own game  :highfive2: 

this just tells me alex smith isn't stupid. he behaving the way he needs to behave to maximize his chances at another big contract & starting position

except in the division round last season when he beat drew brees at his own game  :highfive2: 

The guys has one of the historically highest Wonderlic scores in NFL QBs, no wonder he is smart~~~

He had a perfect game in the division round but unfortunately couldn't convert more than 1 3rd downs in the NFCCG.