Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Loadholt Not Going Anywhere

I was reading that Adrian Peterson is going to make a special point to management that they need to resign Loadholt. If you think about it , there is no way the Vikings could be stupid enough not to re-up him. He was considered by some to be the best run blocking RT in the NFL. So with Ardrain Peterson and a guy like Ponder at QB , I would think Loadboat has the most value right where he is.  

I was reading that Adrian Peterson is going to make a special point to management that they need to resign Loadholt. If you think about it , there is no way the Vikings could be stupid enough not to re-up him. He was considered by some to be the best run blocking RT in the NFL. So with Ardrain Peterson and a guy like Ponder at QB , I would think Loadboat has the most value right where he is.  

Its going to be that way with a lot of FA tackles this year... our bet bet is to find a team with real cap trouble... even then there are no guarantees at that *.

If we offer him more money he'll sign with us, there's no guarantee vikings will resign him.

Nothing but taxes and death are "guaranteed." I'm trying to bring why it's very unlikely that Minn. lets Loadholt hit the free agent market. The process really doesn't work like you (the above) implies. 

When a team wants to retain a player , they offer him a lucrative deal before the player declares for free agency in March. Think about the lucrative deals the Colts gave guys like Manning , Freeney , Bethea , Clark , and Hayden in their contract years. Three of those were record contracts for their position. It doesn't end up a "bidding war" until the existing team fails to sign the player to another contract. Infact it's pretty rare that a player tests the market and ends up resigning with the team that let him hit the market. Other words , simply put .. if the Vikings want to keep him , they will over pay and he will never receive offers from any of the other 31 teams.

Its going to be that way with a lot of FA tackles this year... our bet bet is to find a team with real cap trouble... even then there are no guarantees at that *.

I think it's a great year to be looking for O line help . Seems to be tons of help out there at both T and Guard. Also  appears that there are a few guys that might not break the bank and have some real upside. My point here is you have a team that relies on the running of Adrian Peterson and has a QB that is mobile and probably won't throw the ball as much as other QB's. So Loadholt's best quality , run blocking , is utlilized to the max in Minn. Plus his weakness , pass protection , is not such an issue as say it would be for a team that has Andrew Luck getting smeared as a result of bad protection. The "fit" is just so much better in Minn...

I think they keep him. i think  we have all this money and dreams of bringing in top potential FA players... but reality will show  there will only be  a handful of people to get excited about possibly signing. I think Long, Albert, Levitre, Smith will be the names we choose from. on the OL front.

not saying we will or should; but if we want someone bad enough and are willing overpay... than there are only a handful of teams that would be able to keep us from getting that player. Some teams could block with franchise tag, but a lot of teams are so close on cap space they can't even afford to tag; or they have someone else they have to use the tag on.

I've felt that was probably true of both Loadholt and Vollmers.  Really, the only FA RTs (wow, I didn't realize how bad FA RT would look until I typed it!  Funny!)  who fit the bill and might actually be available are Brandon Albert and Gosder Cherilus.  Not exactly world-beaters, but definite upgrades over a pertpetually injured Justice or a perfectly healthy Linkenbach. 

why Cherilus? he plays on one of the worst OL and they are letting him walk =/

Well there are a couple of reasons...

1. He's a good player. He's allowed 31 sacks in his career (5 years) playing in arguably one of the best pass rushing divisions in the league. Average allowed sacks per year : 6.2 .

If you need a parallel to that figure, take our best offensive lineman's stat. Anthony Castonzo - 18 sacks allowed in his career (2 years). Averaging 9.25 sacks allowed/year.

An upgrade is an upgrade.

2. He's still fairly young, below 30 at least. It would be a great pickup for the O-line if we could sign him.

I've felt that was probably true of both Loadholt and Vollmers.  Really, the only FA RTs (wow, I didn't realize how bad FA RT would look until I typed it!  Funny!)  who fit the bill and might actually be available are Brandon Albert and Gosder Cherilus.  Not exactly world-beaters, but definite upgrades over a pertpetually injured Justice or a perfectly healthy Linkenbach. 

Just so we don't get any Old FA RT's. :lol:

1. He's a good player. He's allowed 31 sacks in his career (5 years) playing in arguably one of the best pass rushing divisions in the league. Average allowed sacks per year : 6.2 .

If you need a parallel to that figure, take our best offensive lineman's stat. Anthony Castonzo - 18 sacks allowed in his career (2 years). Averaging 9.25 sacks allowed/year.

2. He's still fairly young, below 30 at least. It would be a great pickup for the O-line if we could sign him.

that number IF accurate is actually pretty good, not great, not elite but a definite upgrade at RT 

what about Will Beaty? or Brandon Albert who i read KC might be letting him walk

Would be my guess that Phil isn't going anywhere. They're not paying big money to Christian ponder and won't be for a while so that money can be used in making running lanes for all day.

Correct and what team could Loadholt possibly ne more valuable to ? He isthe best run blocking RTin the game and is  "sketchy" in pass protection. Minn has Adrian Peterson running the ball and Chritain Ponder mostly handing it to Peterson. Now take it one step further and say how much would it hurt Minn if Loadholt gave up a sack and Ponder missed 8 games ? Compare the same scenario to the Colts and Andrew Luck. So put everything togetjer and you ahve an unlikey situation that Minn would let him hit the market and if he did would Indy want to blow their brains out on a guy that might get Luck creamed ? 

Well...I didn't make it up lol. www.profootballweekly.com was my source. I believe he's an upgrade either way you look at it, RT or LT.

Oh I didn't say you did but I also cant sit here and say PFW is always accurate with how they grade things and get there stats, Im not sure thats always the case

Oh I didn't say you did but I also cant sit here and say PFW is always accurate with how they grade things and get there stats, Im not sure thats always the case

K. Seems to be the same numbers i'm seeing on a couple of other sites as well, so I have no reason to suspect they are false...or everyone is wrong. One of those options :)