Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ignore the Raw Numbers, Andrew Luck Had a Great Rookie Season

coming on strong

11-5 is the only stat that matters

Yes and no, It depends on your perspective, as is the case with most stats/numbers, information is only as useful as you make it. Sure 11-5 is fantastic but that's a reflection of the entire Team's performance (including the coaching/front office). Some would also argue we're one of the "worst" 11-5 teams ever, and when you look at some of the team numbers it's a minor miracle that we made 11-5. Though these are somewhat skewed by the blowouts. 

If you are talking specifically about Luck then you have to delve into his own numbers. The point though that is being made in the article that by traditional QB metrics (which are so outdated in the modern game!), he doesn't look all that. Those who've watched him every game will beg to differ and point to that word of the moment, his intangibles, by definition something you can't measure. 

What will be interesting is to see how they change next season, they will give some of indicator of progress. Especially if we're running a WCO then you'd hope to see completion % shoot up and the number of picks fall as he attempts shorter less risky throws. 

11-5 and 4,300 yards passing is a modern day miracle with the line we had

..and Steel City is right...Luck will know when and where to check down next year..

His old co-ordinator can obviously work with him..

I think Luck is a more mobile version of Matt Ryan..and he should dominate in our division

Yes and no, It depends on your perspective, as is the case with most stats/numbers, information is only as useful as you make it. Sure 11-5 is fantastic but that's a reflection of the entire Team's performance (including the coaching/front office). Some would also argue we're one of the "worst" 11-5 teams ever, and when you look at some of the team numbers it's a minor miracle that we made 11-5. Though these are somewhat skewed by the blowouts. 

If you are talking specifically about Luck then you have to delve into his own numbers. The point though that is being made in the article that by traditional QB metrics (which are so outdated in the modern game!), he doesn't look all that. Those who've watched him every game will beg to differ and point to that word of the moment, his intangibles, by definition something you can't measure. 

What will be interesting is to see how they change next season, they will give some of indicator of progress. Especially if we're running a WCO then you'd hope to see completion % shoot up and the number of picks fall as he attempts shorter less risky throws. 

lol.. 

All Colts homers should follow this guy religiously.  I totally agree with this article, but he's an expert at cherry picking stats to love Luck and Manning, while hating on Brady, Rodgers, RGIII, and Wilson.  He makes some good points, but most of his opinions stem from picking guys to love and hate, and finding stats to support those biases, rather than judging everyone by the same standard

I don't see why anyone would NOT think he had a great season. I just hope he doesn't get murdered behind a bad offensive line anymore. Fortunately he's young, he's a bulldozer or else it might have been pretty bad.

I do think with a new scheme, new OC we will see a better season from Luck next year. Cater to Lucks strength, put a good OL infront of him and unleash the beast.

I know right, I guess Luck didn't get the memo. You're only good if you have a high percentage rate and run around with crazy socks. Go figure. Espn has done everything in their power to push an agenda to hype the living crap out of qb's who can scramble around and be flashy claiming its a new nfl. It's starting to get to the point of nba pathetic. I mean how'd that Vince young work out or Vick or fat man for raiders. Is it a coincidence they are all black? If they're good they're good, lets let their play do the talking.

I know right, I guess Luck didn't get the memo. You're only good if you have a high percentage rate and run around with crazy socks. Go figure. Espn has done everything in their power to push an agenda to hype the living crap out of qb's who can scramble around and be flashy claiming its a new nfl. It's starting to get to the point of nba pathetic. I mean how'd that Vince young work out or Vick or fat man for raiders. Is it a coincidence they are all black? If they're good they're good, lets let their play do the talking.

There are few similarities between Jamarcus Russell and the other quarterbacks you're referencing. Aside from them all being black. So maybe it's not a coincidence that they're continually lumped in together.

All Colts homers should follow this guy religiously.  I totally agree with this article, but he's an expert at cherry picking stats to love Luck and Manning, while hating on Brady, Rodgers, RGIII, and Wilson.  He makes some good points, but most of his opinions stem from picking guys to love and hate, and finding stats to support those biases, rather than judging everyone by the same standard

He's not saying anything negative about any other quarterback. He compared some stats to show differences in scheme (Manning threw to backs three times as much, Griffin and Wilson used play action twice as much). He's not supporting biases, just breaking down Luck's performance. The point isn't that he's better than any of those other quarterbacks, or that he should win Rookie of the Year. It's that, despite his turnovers being too high and his completion percentage being too low, he still had a very good rookie season.