Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brady Slide?

Slick_Rick

If he would have hit Reed he would have got flagged.

You're forgetting that Brady plays on offense & is a 3 time SB Champion. When in doubt, zebras always rule in favor of HOF QBs. Defense always gets the shaft 90% of the time Dustin. In both calls against them & heavy fines. Just ask the Pittsburgh Steelers defense they'll easily confirm this fact. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're forgetting that Brady plays on offense & is a 3 time SB Champion. When in doubt, zebras always rule in favor of HOF QBs. Defense always gets the shaft 90% of the time Dustin. In both calls against them & heavy fines. Just ask the Pittsburgh Steelers defense they'll easily confirm this fact. 

Yep and this is exactly why he won't get fined for it. But I'm going to bet that Bernard Pollard is going to lose some money this week.

How much Tom Brady 'Hate' is in this thread??

There is more than one person who has actually said they think Brady should be suspended!     Seriously.    I assume they were sober when they wrote that.    Holy cow!

I realize there's a lot of hate between fans of the Colts and Patriots.   I'm aware of the history....    and I'm also aware of the Manning-Brady rivalry...    I get that too...

But suspended?    There wasn't even any contact and no one got hurt?

I'd fine the guy.   Big deal.   What's a fine to Tom Brady?     And I've got little problem with what Brady did.   He's trying to protect himself as much as anything.   And, as some have pointed out,  he couldve' unintentionally hurt himself in the process.

Finally,  if Andrew Luck has done the same thing,  people here would be cheering for him like mad.

This is much ado about very little, IMO....

How much Tom Brady 'Hate' is in this thread??

we wouldn't have it any other way. you should have seen some of the things said about peyton manning over the years at patriots planet. we are like cuddly teddy bears compared to them

90% of the comments here are friendly bantering, including my comment about suspending him

There wasn't even any contact and no one got hurt?

If Reed doesn't jump out of the way he's more than likely going to completely muck up his knee to the point where it might be career threatening

And I've got little problem with what Brady did.   He's trying to protect himself as much as anything. 

No he's not. Brady has slid hundreds of times in his career in this exact same situation. He knows that Reed can't him him and if he does he knows that Reed will get flagged. Not to mention that not only does he kick twice, but he aims his leg towards Reed's knee.

Finally,  if Andrew Luck has done the same thing,  people here would be cheering for him like mad.

I seriously doubt that. And even if they did it's because of a bias. If you go to any other sports teams forum or whatever they all say that what Brady did was dirty, it's not like it's just Colts fans. Even Patriots fans are admitting it was dirty.

If Reed doesn't jump out of the way he's more than likely going to completely muck up his knee to the point where it might be career threatening

You don't even know if Reed would've been hurt, and you're calling it 'career threatening'....   it's just as likely if Reed had fallen on him that Brady could've been the one to be hurt.

No he's not. Brady has slid hundreds of times in his career in this exact same situation. He knows that Reed can't him him and if he does he knows that Reed will get flagged. Not to mention that not only does he kick twice, but he aims his leg towards Reed's knee.

I seriously doubt if Tom Brady has even scrambled hunderds of time in this exact same situation.   The amount of exaggeration here is staggering.

I seriously doubt that. And even if they did it's because of a bias. If you go to any other sports teams forum or whatever they all say that what Brady did was dirty, it's not like it's just Colts fans. Even Patriots fans are admitting it was dirty.      Of course it's because of bias.   That's my point.

You don't even know if Reed would've been hurt, and you're calling it 'career threatening'....   it's just as likely if Reed had fallen on him that Brady could've been the one to be hurt.

I seriously doubt if Tom Brady has even scrambled hunderds of time in this exact same situation.   The amount of exaggeration here is staggering.

I seriously doubt that. And even if they did it's because of a bias. If you go to any other sports teams forum or whatever they all say that what Brady did was dirty, it's not like it's just Colts fans. Even Patriots fans are admitting it was dirty.      Of course it's because of bias.   That's my point.

Yeah there is absolutely no chance of an injury to a 34 year old man with a history of injuries to get straight legged directly in the knee cap when he is running full speed. Got it.

Tom Brady has over 400 career carries in the NFL. That's not counting HS or College. Yep I'm exaggerating. Check the facts next time before calling someone out.

People from every sports board in America has said it was dirty. I was proving that there was no bias and it wasn't just Colts fans calling him out on it.

Yeah there is absolutely no chance of an injury to a 34 year old man with a history of injuries to get straight legged directly in the knee cap when he is running full speed. Got it.     Sorry,  you lost me.   There's a good chance of injury in every play of the NFL.  

Tom Brady has over 400 career carries in the NFL. That's not counting HS or College. Yep I'm exaggerating. Check the facts next time before calling someone out.    Don't look at my words, look at YOUR words that I was responding too.   Hundreds of times in this exact same situation.   Those are your words.   You think he's done the same thing hundreds of times?   

People from every sports board in America has said it was dirty. I was proving that there was no bias and it wasn't just Colts fans calling him out on it.

Again with the exaggerations.   Do you even read what you write?   And I don't carried away what people on message boards call dirty.   There are varying degrees of everything.    Was it a dirty play?   Sure.    But there are lots of dirty plays.   Again...   no contact on the play.    No injury on the play. Try not to get carried away with this stuff.

Yeah there is absolutely no chance of an injury to a 34 year old man with a history of injuries to get straight legged directly in the knee cap when he is running full speed. Got it. Sorry, you lost me. There's a good chance of injury in every play of the NFL.

Tom Brady has over 400 career carries in the NFL. That's not counting HS or College. Yep I'm exaggerating. Check the facts next time before calling someone out. Don't look at my words, look at YOUR words that I was responding too. Hundreds of times in this exact same situation. Those are your words. You think he's done the same thing hundreds of times?

Again with the exaggerations. Do you even read what you write? And I don't carried away what people on message boards call dirty. There are varying degrees of everything. Was it a dirty play? Sure. But there are lots of dirty plays. Again... no contact on the play. No injury on the play. Try not to get carried away with this stuff.

There was contact on the play. The bottom of Bradys foot hit reed in the inner thigh

Sorry,  you lost me.   There's a good chance of injury in every play of the NFL.  

Don't look at my words, look at YOUR words that I was responding too.   Hundreds of times in this exact same situation.   Those are your words.   You think he's done the same thing hundreds of times?   

Again with the exaggerations.   Do you even read what you write?   And I don't carried away what people on message boards call dirty.   There are varying degrees of everything.    Was it a dirty play?   Sure.    But there are lots of dirty plays.   Again...   no contact on the play.    No injury on the play. Try not to get carried away with this stuff.

You said that we don't know if Reed would have got hurt and I said that not only would he have got hurt but probably would have ended his career because of the combination of his age and injury history. I don't know what's so hard to understand about that. Brady was aiming for his knee and if Reed wouldn't have jumped out of the way Reed would have totally destroyed his leg. Imagine holding your leg straight up and then somebody kicking you directly in your knee cap. Now imagine your running full speed and get kicked in your already bum knee by a professional athlete.

Yes Brady has slid hundred of times before. He has carried the ball 400 times in the NFL alone. Usually QB's slide when they are about to be tackled. Even if he slid on 50% of his carries, that's still hundreds of times. I'm not even sure what you are arguing at this point.

And yes I was using hyperbole. I have not been on every single sports website, you caught me. But everyone I have been on (probably around 15-20) there have been people claiming that it was a dirty move by Brady. I'm not even arguing with you it was dirty with the last point you made, but you make it sound like it's only Colts fans that view it that way and you're wrong.

You said that we don't know if Reed would have got hurt and I said that not only would he have got hurt but probably would have ended his career because of the combination of his age and injury history. I don't know what's so hard to understand about that. Brady was aiming for his knee and if Reed wouldn't have jumped out of the way Reed would have totally destroyed his leg. Imagine holding your leg straight up and then somebody kicking you directly in your knee cap. Now imagine your running full speed and get kicked in your already bum knee by a professional athlete.

Yes Brady has slid hundred of times before. He has carried the ball 400 times in the NFL alone. Usually QB's slide when they are about to be tackled. Even if he slid on 50% of his carries, that's still hundreds of times. I'm not even sure what you are arguing at this point.

And yes I was using hyperbole. I have not been on every single sports website, you caught me. But everyone I have been on (probably around 15-20) there have been people claiming that it was a dirty move by Brady. I'm not even arguing with you it was dirty with the last point you made, but you make it sound like it's only Colts fans that view it that way and you're wrong.

Fair enough.....   appreciate you taking the time to write such a long detailed response.    Thanks.....

For now,   we'll just agree to disagree on this one.    Seems easier for all parties....

My guess would be that Gore is a multiple time offender of the uniform dress code violation....      that's the only thing that would explain him not being fined as much as the other players were for their violations....

Otherwise,  it's the NFL being as dumb as the NFL often is....

The guy was a baseball player, he knows how to slide. Plus why would he apologize if jr didn't think what he did was wrong

Could have said something like "I'm sorry I put you at risk , I didn't mean you any harm. It was just a reaction to the moment. " No..? 

yes Brady did raise his leg in defense to ward off Reed, kind of like a porcupine defendng himself from predators if you will . . . we must remember Brady's history, the 2001 SB and the game in question . . . in 2001 the pats hit the rams WR very hard and made them pay for every hit with one hit breaking the ribs of one of the WR, i think it was holt if i remember . . . in last year SB Brady was sacked and landed on by Tuck, aggervating and earlier injury . . , Hoyer warmed up but they put Brady back in for the 4th qtr and was noticably less effective that the first three qtrs . . .

given the fact that in Sunday's game the Ravens were head hunting, and were correctly flagged twice, it was apparent that the ravens where going to inflict pain, like the pats on SB 36, to gain an advantage even if it cost them 15 yards . . . and given this whose knows if Reed may have came at Brady half rolled over him to get a lick into Brady and what are they going to loose, it was 2nd and goal at the 4 as opposed to being 1 and goal at the 2 (half the distance to the goal with a penalty auto first down), there was basically only one more play left in the half before a FG . . . so you give up one play but get a chance to get a lick on brady to think about it . . .

so given what was going on early in the game, i can understand Brady being leary of a potentional hit, which if penaltized would of only gain a few yards and probably not enough to warrant a run play and so you are passing from the 2 as opposed to the 4, so not a whole lot of difference . . .

I did not like what Brady did and glad that he was fined, but at the same time I am not so bother when one wants to defend himself and ward off the opponent who has already shown a will to take unnessecary roughness shots . . .

yes Brady did raise his leg in defense to ward off Reed, kind of like a porcupine defendng himself from predators if you will . . . we must remember Brady's history, the 2001 SB and the game in question . . . in 2001 the pats hit the rams WR very hard and made them pay for every hit with one hit breaking the ribs of one of the WR, i think it was holt if i remember . . . in last year SB Brady was sacked and landed on by Tuck, aggervating and earlier injury . . , Hoyer warmed up but they put Brady back in for the 4th qtr and was noticably less effective that the first three qtrs . . .

given the fact that in Sunday's game the Ravens were head hunting, and were correctly flagged twice, it was apparent that the ravens where going to inflict pain, like the pats on SB 36, to gain an advantage even if it cost them 15 yards . . . and given this whose knows if Reed may have came at Brady half rolled over him to get a lick into Brady and what are they going to loose, it was 2nd and goal at the 4 as opposed to being 1 and goal at the 2 (half the distance to the goal with a penalty auto first down), there was basically only one more play left in the half before a FG . . . so you give up one play but get a chance to get a lick on brady to think about it . . .

so given what was going on early in the game, i can understand Brady being leary of a potentional hit, which if penaltized would of only gain a few yards and probably not enough to warrant a run play and so you are passing from the 2 as opposed to the 4, so not a whole lot of difference . . .

I did not like what Brady did and glad that he was fined, but at the same time I am not so bother when one wants to defend himself and ward off the opponent who has already shown a will to take unnessecary roughness shots . . .

So Brady is a porcupine?

Got it.

Was it something Brady does often? Nope. Was it a play Brady probably wishes he could get back? Yup.

He was fined $10K, so other than that, is it a big deal?

Ed Reed seems OK with it.

"A little slide kick (by Brady), you know what I'm saying. But it's a tough spot the quarterback's in. You know, I understand Brady's point. Him protecting himself. I know he's a great player. I respect Brady and his game for all it stands for, and I know he's not a dirty player. And emotions get going in the game."

"I told him -- you know, we talked. We talked actually not too long ago, we talked on the phone. He actually reached out to me, texted me. I tried to text him back, but the message exploded after 12 seconds, so I had to call him ... and he's just apologized and what not. But I told him, 'You know, it's good, man.' "

The NFL is investigating Brady's slide, The Associated Press reported Tuesday. "Any play of that nature is routinely reviewed," league spokesman Greg Aiello said.

Reed also added context to what occurred in the heat of the moment.

"For the most part, I didn't say anything to him when he said something to me at the game," Reed said. "... He was going, 'You want to play like that, let's go.' But no, Brady's a great competitor and I love going against him and I know where his heart is at for this game. It was all good."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000129579/article/ed-reed-tom-brady-texted-me-to-apologize-for-slide

BTW... lol at the "12 seconds" reference by Reed. :D

And I'm predicting right now that Reed will be a Patriot in 2013. :thmup:

I don't know, there is some team out there with $48 million in cap space who's coach was his former D-coordinator and who's WR is on of his best friends.

:thmup:

Yeah, early favorites are the Colts (due to the connections you mentioned) and the Pats (due to Belichick's unabashed admiration for Reed)...

Obviously whatever team gets him won't get the "in his prime" Ed Reed, but I'd take him in a heartbeat.

And I'm predicting right now that Reed will be a Patriot in 2013. :thmup:

I don't know, there is some team out there with $48 million in cap space who's coach was his former D-coordinator and who's WR is on of his best friends.

Let's not forget that Reed killed Wayne's pet snake at the Miami U when they were both roommates & their brotherhood didn't crack over that either. "Yes, we get his side of the famous “Law dead” pet snake story/text message."

Rich Einsen podcast. Here is the link: http://richeisen.nfl.com/2010/12/29/the-rich-eisen-podcast-reggie-wayne-chris-long-jeff-garlin-and-jon-hamm/

Go to the bottom of the page & click this sentence: "Download: Rich Eisen Podcast: Reggie Wayne, Chris Long, Jeff Garlin and Jon Hamm" It will play the the podcast for you to hear the entire program where you can hear Reggie Wayne reveal the Law dead tale in it's full duration. If you can survive a deep pet as roomies, nothing will break that bond man. Nothin'. :lol:

I will agree wholeheartedly that there is a double standard in the NFL. Defensive players typically get flagged & fined & offensive players rarely if ever do. That's my take on the leg movement...An unorthodox involuntary defense mechanism. It looked really bad. I will admit, but good luck proving malice or harmful intent. It's like a fast collision on the field. In real time, it looks like your average hat on a hat. Slow it down second by second and frame by frame any act can be perceived as a brutal intent to maim or cripple. What did Ed Reed say about it? Anything? I respect both Brady & Reed. Neither guy is dirty IMO. Let it go & get ready for the SB. 

I feel better now, he has been fined and deservedly so. I still think the EXACT same move made by Suh and he'd be dragged through the mud. It is a double standard, but I guess you do earn your rep so I understand your point.

I feel better now, he has been fined and deservedly so. I still think the EXACT same move made by Suh and he'd be dragged through the mud. It is a double standard, but I guess you do earn your rep so I understand your point.

In fairness...

The NFL considers past transgressions when fining players. Brady's kick, though regrettable, was a spur-of-the-moment thing on a rare scramble. I'm not defending him, he probably wouldn't try to defend himself in this discussion!

I'm just saying, comparing Brady to Suh is apples and oranges.