Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Caldwell? offensive mastermind?

oldunclemark

I think he deserves credit for helping his team move the ball and score points. But the Ravens have demonstrated their potential for explosiveness for a couple years now. I don't think Caldwell's presence or his role have made a significant difference in what they're doing.

Snowglobe, is that you? j/k :)

He is not a genius by any means. That O-line reshuffling, whoever did that to give Flacco all that time to throw, that guy should be the one commended.

Those long bombs Flacco completed to Boldin vs us and the 3 bombs to Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones, none of those are possible without that O-line giving him time. That has been the bulk of the offense, if I am not mistaken.

True Vs Colts & 

Those 3 big TDs  ((( and  imagine one he missed by overthrow to Smith who had bailey easily beat ))) were the main plays of  Broncos game earning the main yardage for the teram, also rice did get over 100 yards to but broncos gave up over 400 , most all year & the runs were good O LINE BLOCKING

the 3 bombs the main 3 plays of the offense 

Jim Caldwell's play calling put up over 450 yards on Denver?

..and got Joe Flacco 331 yards....

..a week after 250 yards and 2TDs vs. the Colts.

no interceptions...either week

....the same guy who coached the Colts? That Jim Caldwell?

maybe he's a play-calling genius?

The same Jim Caldwell that took an injury riddled Colt team to the Super Bowl...  ?

If Flacco was unhappy with Cam Cam and IS happy with Caldwell....     right there is a "significant" difference.  

Cam is know to be very brash and "hard to work with" ...    Caldwell is the polar opposite.

I think he deserves credit for helping his team move the ball and score points. But the Ravens have demonstrated their potential for explosiveness for a couple years now. I don't think Caldwell's presence or his role have made a significant difference in what they're doing.

If Flacco was unhappy with Cam Cam and IS happy with Caldwell....     right there is a "significant" difference.  

Cam is know to be very brash and "hard to work with" ...    Caldwell is the polar opposite.

when one is Happy makes a big difference in confidence on who is behind u 

That's not a testament to Caldwell's abilities as offensive coordinator. I'm talking about material differences. Phillip Rivers was really happy with Norv Turner, but that doesn't make Norv a good head coach. Same thing for most of the Chiefs players and Romeo Crennel. Ben Roethlisberger and Bruce Arians, and so on. I don't think that's a good way to judge whether a coach or coordinator is doing a good job.

You can say what you want as a fan about Jim Caldwell as Baltimores offensive coordinator, but here's what

one of the most important players on the team has to say about him and it carries a lot of weight to me.

Those of you who are trying to discredit him should digest Rices' comments.

Ray Rice on Jim Caldwell:

Rice told me the Ravens had better do everything they can to keep Caldwell, the former Indianapolis Colts head coach.

"We're staying in the offense," Rice said. "We're doing what we do and going out and executing it. It's what (Caldwell) did all those years with Peyton (when both were in Indy), and we're doing it here. You see Joe has been playing better, and so has the offensive line. We all are."

http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/story/0ap1000000126270/article/ray-rice-baltimore-ravens-feel-unstoppable-after-stunning-win

I just don't know why some want to clown on Caldwell.     The man is quiet and unassuming.   Players play hard for him, he has his team's respect.    

Oh well...      the "clueless one' is on the verge of ANOTHER SB.

I've seen some long bombs that Foe Whacko just heaved up to his recievers with good coverage, even double coverage that his recievers just made extra ordinary catches on. Not so much Joe or Caldwell as much as some great plays made by Rice, Boldin and Smith.

Whacko had 30 completions for 600+ yards. In the Colts game Rice had 1 reception 45 yards and Boldin had a mere 5 catches for a massive 145 yards and in the Denver game Jones and Smith had 5 catches for 170+ yards. I contibute it more to poor coverage, exceptional plays by the WRs or luck than anything. Never seen so many big plays by a team in NFL history.

Heck Joe has just been able to toss up prayers constantly the last two games that have been answered. I don't expect these massive prayers to continue to be answered after next week. I won't discredit his arm strength though, guys getting pressured all he has to do is throw a 70 yard bomb and there is a good chance one of his stud WRs will grab it.

It's not like Joe is shredding up the Ds with pin point precision in a Brady esque way. The guy was 30 for 57.

You can say what you want as a fan about Jim Caldwell as Baltimores offensive coordinator, but here's what

one of the most important players on the team has to say about him and it carries a lot of weight to me.

Those of you who are trying to discredit him should digest Rices' comments.

Ray Rice on Jim Caldwell:

Rice told me the Ravens had better do everything they can to keep Caldwell, the former Indianapolis Colts head coach.

"We're staying in the offense," Rice said. "We're doing what we do and going out and executing it. It's what (Caldwell) did all those years with Peyton (when both were in Indy), and we're doing it here. You see Joe has been playing better, and so has the offensive line. We all are."

http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/story/0ap1000000126270/article/ray-rice-baltimore-ravens-feel-unstoppable-after-stunning-win

Yes, I have been a little tough on Jim Caldwell. But, you are correct krunk, he does deserve credit for using Ray Rice effectively & getting that offense clicking. Rut Ro! SW1 just grudeningly paid Jim Caldwell a complement. The sky is falling! Just Kidding! 

Yes, I have been a little tough on Jim Caldwell. But, you are correct krunk, he does deserve credit for using Ray Rice effectively & getting that offense clicking. Rut Ro! SW1 just grudeningly paid Jim Caldwell a complement. The sky is falling! Just Kidding!

which is what got Cameron fired he wasn't getting ray rice the ball as much as the team wanted.

In all seriousness, Jim Caldwell was on the Ravens staff who beat the Colts & the Broncos. 2 teams I never thought he'd be victorious over. I like him as an OC not an HC and yes, I can admit when I mess up & make a huge mistake. Although, he may lack situational head coach awareness, Caldwell is winning right now & I must commend him for that fact. Nice work! 

In all seriousness, Jim Caldwell was on the Ravens staff who beat the Colts & the Broncos. 2 teams I never thought he'd be victorious over. I like him as an OC not an HC and yes, I can admit when I mess up & make a huge mistake. Although, he may lack situational head coach awareness, Caldwell is winning right now & I must commend him for that fact. Nice work! 

I think what we might be seeing is what some thought he wasn't ready to be a head coach just yet.  It could be he is ready to be an OC though.  With that said I always thought Caldwell was good at coming up with a game plan as we would normally have leads in the first half under him.  The problem was he did not adjust very well as the game went along.  I didn't watch much of the Ravens after he became the OC till the playoffs so I can't speak to the regular season games but in the playoffs he adjusted a little to us at the half but the Broncos didn't make him adjust at all on Sunday.  He just kept calling the same throw it deep play the Broncos secondary never figured out they needed to leave a safety back there to help out.  The Pats I can promise you are going to force adjustments.  We'll see if Caldwell is up to that challenge. 

Just back to the Ray Rice things for a second.  People (not saying you as I think we agree on this point) go after Caldwell for giving Ray Rice the ball too much like it's a bad thing.  It's what he was hired to do.  The previous OC got ran out of there for not giving Ray Rice the ball enough in the teams mind so the force feeding of Ray Rice might be coming from the top.  Also when you have one of the best backs in football you want to stay committed to the run even with Flacco playing as well as he is.  Part of the reason he's playing so well is that teams are having to honor the run on play action fakes and Flacco is killing them down the field because of how committed the Ravens are to the runs. 

Again I know it kills some on here to do so (again not saying you) but you have to give Caldwell some credit.  He walked into a very difficult situation in taking over a coordinator job in the middle of the season and is doing well. 

Frankly I don't get all the hate people have for Caldwell.  Yes I get it people didn't like him as our HC but it seems to go deeper than that.  I mean he lost his job and that isn't enough for some people who seemingly want to put him down and trash talk him any chance they get.  Caldwell was nothing but a class act the whole time he was here and has never once said a bad word about the Colts even when the Colts kinda left him floating in the wind last off-season.  Personally while I am glad he is no longer our Head Coach I am glad things seem to be working out for him with the Ravens.  While I wish it didn't have to come at our expense I would much rather live in a world where Jim Caldwell gets a ring with the Ravens this year than where Tom Brady gets his fourth. 

I am still confused as to why people on this board jump all over Caldwell for his appearance and demeanor. His job is to get players ready to play at a high level.

Give the ball to Rice on first down - predictable - Rice rushes for 131 and Baltimore rushes for 155. Seems to me he did his job the way it was supposed to be done.

Throw deep to take advantage of aging Champ Bailey and average talent in the secondary - predictable - Flacco throws for 331 and 3 TD. Seems to me he did his job the way it was supposed to be done.