Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RG3 has a partial tore ACL and LCL

CR91

I'm not sure how many times I'm going to have to point this out to you guys but we could run the pistol successfully with Drew Bledsoe or Byron Leftwich in at QB.  QB mobility has nothing to do with running that formation.

I should also probably point out for the billionth time that every time Griffin has been hurt it was on passing plays, not off of the zone read.  You don't have to worry about the playcall as much as you do Griffin being smarter about when it's time to go down.

i was about to agree...but then no. no way you could run the pistol the same way you do right now. part of its freezing the freaking DE/OLB witht the threat of RG3 going outside. of course it will affect it.

im not saying it will be unreliable, because regardless you guys run the ball well and option or not you will continue. but asks ware if its not a relief to know RG3 wont run

and yea, he needs to slide down or make better decitions at running time

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ROTFlmao @ Skins fans!!!!! I can only laugh at that last post by poster RGlll, WOW!!!!!

I said this from day one he would get hurt and was dismissed, Skins fans got excited down below and a thrill up their legs when he would take off running, but once a guy his size went passed the 5-300+ pound guys protecting him he is fair game for the 11 guys who like to hit for a living and his number is up and look what that 6-4 340 pound Etuini Haloti Ngata who chased down RG3 and took him out with a legal hit. That is Ngata's job and he did it perfectly...

I told Skins fans over and over and over for months he needs to be a pocket passer and the excitement of him running around was more important to you all and look what it got you, congratulation!!!!!

I hope he comes back and does a traditional pocket style system, and like A.Luck take off running in straight lines to get 1st downs and out of bounds if pocket collapses, running around passed the o-line will just get him hurt!!!!!

I'm not sure how many times I'm going to have to point this out to you guys but we could run the pistol successfully with Drew Bledsoe or Byron Leftwich in at QB. QB mobility has nothing to do with running that formation.

I should also probably point out for the billionth time that every time Griffin has been hurt it was on passing plays, not off of the zone read. You don't have to worry about the playcall as much as you do Griffin being smarter about when it's time to go down.

Perhaps more than anything they just need to fix their terrible field. I've been hearing many people talk about how bad it is. Bad fields can do that to players. I remember seeing injuries due to terrible field conditions. Not saying its strictly the field, probably many factors but a bad field sure doesn't help.

i was about to agree...but then no. no way you could run the pistol the same way you do right now. part of its freezing the freaking DE/OLB witht the threat of RG3 going outside. of course it will affect it.

im not saying it will be unreliable, because regardless you guys run the ball well and option or not you will continue. but asks ware if its not a relief to know RG3 wont run

and yea, he needs to slide down or make better decitions at running time

We can run a large percentage of what we do out of the pistol the same as always because we run many of the same plays out of the pistol that we run out of our normal under center and shotgun offense.  The pistol does open up the zone read portion of our playbook as well but that's not even a remotely necessary facet of the pistol itself.

ROTFlmao @ Skins fans!!!!! I can only laugh at that last post by poster RGlll, WOW!!!!!

I said this from day one he would get hurt and was dismissed, Skins fans got excited down below and a thrill up their legs when he would take off running, but once a guy his size went passed the 5-300+ pound guys protecting him he is fair game for the 11 guys who like to hit for a living and his number is up and look what that 6-4 340 pound Etuini Haloti Ngata who chased down RG3 and took him out with a legal hit. That is Ngata's job and he did it perfectly...

I told Skins fans over and over and over for months he needs to be a pocket passer and the excitement of him running around was more important to you all and look what it got you, congratulation!!!!!

I hope he comes back and does a traditional pocket style system, and like A.Luck take off running in straight lines to get 1st downs and out of bounds if pocket collapses, running around passed the o-line will just get him hurt!!!!!

What I'm saying absolutely, 100% makes sense.  You can't possibly disagree with the core point of what I've been saying, which is that if Griffin takes steps to avoid contact then it doesn't matter what he does as a passer or a runner.  All I've done that you seem to disagree with is pointed out that removing the zone read doesn't even come close to solving the greater problem and that's not something you should have cause to argue with, either.

I am very deliberate about what I say and in this particular case what I am saying is not incorrect.

Well, I guess were just going to have to continue to disagree. Sure they could run the pistol with any ole' QB, but it's obvious its much more successful with a running mobile QB.

All I'm saying, is that it would be a cosmically stupid idea to continue to run the same style offense when RG3 comes back. They can say all they want to about the health of RG3's knee in the future, but this is the 2nd time his knee has had to have reconstructive surgery and there is just absolutely no way that knee will ever be the same.

BTW, when he initially hurt his knee, it was when he was running, Don't know if it was a designed passing play or not, but the fact remains that he took off running and got tattoo'd in the knee. If he or the skins think, he's going to be able to come back and make the cuts and run as fast as he ever did after the 2nd reconstructive surgery in 3 yrs., they are sorely mistaken. This is going to force him to become a pocket passer that only runs when it is absolutely necessary. 

It's not that the pistol specifically is much more successful with the threat of a running QB, the entire offense is more effective when you have to account for an additional player with 4.3 speed.

All I'm saying is the same thing I've said all along.  Whether we design run plays for Griffin or not is immaterial if he doesn't take steps to protect himself.  He has gotten hurt this season in situations where the coaching staff has had no ability to protect him whatsoever outside of keeping him off the field entirely.

What he does from here on out will depend on the outcome of the surgery and how Griffin and the coaching staff feels about it.  We might see a shift in Griffin's use, we might not.  Griffin might not be able to stay healthy even if he becomes a pocket passer and he might never have a problem again if he remains a runner, there's no telling what the outcome is and no one here knows enough to really proclaim what is best based on the extremely limited available information.

I don't pretend to know what the solution for keeping Griffin on his feet should be, if there even is one.  My big issue in these threads is that some of you knuckleheads do pretend to know what needs to happen and your justifications for it are often poor, even by what-if standards.

I'll leave you guys with this fun bit of information:  The way his previously repaired ACL was damaged possibly indicates that less than phenomenal work on that knee back in 2009 played a role in how things went down.  The amount of shared blame just keeps increasing.

We can run a large percentage of what we do out of the pistol the same as always because we run many of the same plays out of the pistol that we run out of our normal under center and shotgun offense.  The pistol does open up the zone read portion of our playbook as well but that's not even a remotely necessary facet of the pistol itself.

What I'm saying absolutely, 100% makes sense.  You can't possibly disagree with the core point of what I've been saying, which is that if Griffin takes steps to avoid contact then it doesn't matter what he does as a passer or a runner.  All I've done that you seem to disagree with is pointed out that removing the zone read doesn't even come close to solving the greater problem and that's not something you should have cause to argue with, either.

I am very deliberate about what I say and in this particular case what I am saying is not incorrect.

It's not that the pistol specifically is much more successful with the threat of a running QB, the entire offense is more effective when you have to account for an additional player with 4.3 speed.

All I'm saying is the same thing I've said all along.  Whether we design run plays for Griffin or not is immaterial if he doesn't take steps to protect himself.  He has gotten hurt this season in situations where the coaching staff has had no ability to protect him whatsoever outside of keeping him off the field entirely.

What he does from here on out will depend on the outcome of the surgery and how Griffin and the coaching staff feels about it.  We might see a shift in Griffin's use, we might not.  Griffin might not be able to stay healthy even if he becomes a pocket passer and he might never have a problem again if he remains a runner, there's no telling what the outcome is and no one here knows enough to really proclaim what is best based on the extremely limited available information.

I don't pretend to know what the solution for keeping Griffin on his feet should be, if there even is one.  My big issue in these threads is that some of you knuckleheads do pretend to know what needs to happen and your justifications for it are often poor, even by what-if standards.

I'll leave you guys with this fun bit of information:  The way his previously repaired ACL was damaged possibly indicates that less than phenomenal work on that knee back in 2009 played a role in how things went down.  The amount of shared blame just keeps increasing.

Knuckleheads? Nice touch. No need to get raty with us because because your coach is a..........ah....a knucklehead.

:thmup: I think Griff will be smarter about the hits he takes next season. A scare like this will change anyone's way of thinking. Guy is going to continue to be a force to be reckoned with though, running or not. The future looks good in D.C.

:thmup: I think Griff will be smarter about the hits he takes next season. A scare like this will change anyone's way of thinking. Guy is going to continue to be a force to be reckoned with though, running or not. The future looks good in D.C.

While I'm still pretty optimistic, I'm also a bit skeptical if only because Griffin's been through this before and didn't seem to learn his lesson.  We'll see how things go.

Knuckleheads? Nice touch. No need to get raty with us because because your coach is a..........ah....a knucklehead.

Not intended to be an all-inclusive statement. ;)

:thmup: I think Griff will be smarter about the hits he takes next season. A scare like this will change anyone's way of thinking. Guy is going to continue to be a force to be reckoned with though, running or not. The future looks good in D.C.

What makes you think he will make better choices in regard to running. He already tore that acl once, got a concussion early in the year, sprained his lcl against the ravens and tore his acl again last week.

What makes you think he will make better choices in regard to running. He already tore that acl once, got a concussion early in the year, sprained his lcl against the ravens and tore his acl again last week.

You talk as if the guy is doing it on purpose lol. Yes he tore that same ACL...4 years ago. The other injuries were accidents and with all the Oh my gosh his career could be over! talk, I'm sure he's taken notice and he knows exactly how valuable he is to his franchise. He is way too smart a kid to let this continue to happen. Honestly, do you think he's going to put himself at risk to tear something else next year or have three injuries on three separate occasions again? I don't think so. I also think some of his designed running plays will be cut down a bit, and if he does run, he should take the initiative to go out of bounds as opposed to taking unnecessary shots.

You talk as if the guy is doing it on purpose lol. Yes he tore that same ACL...4 years ago. The other injuries were accidents and with all the Oh my gosh his career could be over! talk, I'm sure he's taken notice and he knows exactly how valuable he is to his franchise. He is way too smart a kid to let this continue to happen. Honestly, do you think he's going to put himself at risk to tear something else next year or have three injuries on three separate occasions again? I don't think so.

So he tore his acl the first time on purpose?

Because he was FAR more deliberate about getting out of bounds on designed runs the second half of the year. He rarely took contact. That is fact. He was hurt on a scramble. % happens. It was a fluke.

RG3 is ALWAYS going to take hits, and that's a fact, just as ANY mobile quarterback will. But if he runs like he did in the second half of the year he'll have a far better chance of surviving in this league. Just look at the first Eagles' game as a prime example: 40 some yards, some ridiculous moves, and was hardly contacted. No surprise that was his most prolific game as a pro. If he develops his field awareness more he'll be a dangerous player, and what you saw in that Eagles game, the Cowboys' game, and the first two drives of the playoff game is the goal with the Redskins: a couple designed runs to keep the defense honest, a lot of pounding with Morris, and an explosive passing game that attacks all areas of the field. It's no joke how abused Seattle was getting on those first two drives, they were totally clueless and the Skins looks unstoppable until Grififn tweaked the knee.

So he tore his acl the first time on purpose?

Oops, didn't word that right. Of course it wasn't on purpose...I was just referring to the injuries that happened this year in a different line of thought than one that happened years ago. My bad. :thmup:

This is sad news indeed, despite the acrimonious atmosphere that has been stirred by the media and by some on here (on both sides) you never like to see a serious injury to a player. Here's hoping he has a full and speedy recovery, the league needs talents like Griffin.

I think this somewhat shows the leagues push on player safety and injury reporting to be the white elephant that it is. Opinions will vary on ultimately who is to blame but he shouldn't have been in there to take that snap, why risk it all on a player you've invested so heavily in long term for a possible short term gain. Personally I don't blame Griffin, players are bred into a culture of play through the pain, especially when you are a young rookie.

One thing I will say is, lengthy debate about ability aside, I'm glad we didn't draft him. Our O line would have got him even more seriously hurt.

My thoughts with the 'Skins fans, this must be a nightmare.

Totally disagree. The future looks 'cloudy' in DC, at best. Having major knee reconstruction (again) is not something I would be so confident about. Hope I'm wrong.

We have absolutely no idea about Robert's 'smarts', as I would suggest he has not been particularly smart so far.  

Totally disagree. The future looks 'cloudy' in DC, at best. Having major knee reconstruction (again) is not something I would be so confident about. Hope I'm wrong.

We have absolutely no idea about Robert's 'smarts', as I would suggest he has not been particularly smart so far.  

The outlook is not as grim as many seem to think. Griffin and his doctor both have full confidence that he will be back by the 2013 regular season. Injuries are never good but players rise above them, ala Peterson or Manning this year. Griffin is indeed smart, but hard-headed at times. He's not a dumb player, that's for sure.

The outlook is not as grim as many seem to think. Griffin and his doctor both have full confidence that he will be back by the 2013 regular season. Injuries are never good but players rise above them, ala Peterson or Manning this year. Griffin is indeed smart, but hard-headed at times. He's not a dumb player, that's for sure.

Oh, he can make it back for sure, but I just don't see it with such confidence that you and RGIII are brimming with. I agree he is not dumb, but hard headed and arrogant is not always a recipe for smartness in the heat of the battle.

Don't you guys ever sleep?

You would feel a lot more confident about his future if he didn't have to play on that potato field they call a football ground--what a disgrace that highly paid professionals are expected to go out onto that field and try to change direction while being hit from many directions.

Oh, he can make it back for sure, but I just don't see it with such confidence that you and RGIII are brimming with. I agree he is not dumb, but hard headed and arrogant is not always a recipe for smartness in the heat of the battle.

Don't you guys ever sleep?

Oh, sorry for being optimistic and wishing the best for the guy...lol. Again, this experience should make him act differently on the field. All athletes get a little arrogant when they are playing...which can lead to turnovers, fantastic plays, or, in this case, injuries. Griffin will be fine. If anything, this will be motivation. Imagine the way he'll be playing with even more motivation and an offseason under his belt...man.

Oh, sorry for being optimistic and wishing the best for the guy...lol. Again, this experience should make him act differently on the field. All athletes get a little arrogant when they are playing...which can lead to turnovers, fantastic plays, or, in this case, injuries. Griffin will be fine. If anything, this will be motivation. Imagine the way he'll be playing with even more motivation and an offseason under his belt...man.

What off season? He will be rehabbing the entire off season.. I don't think that will help his game

What off season? He will be rehabbing the entire off season.. I don't think that will help his game

Mentally it will. Doesn't take two legs to memorize a playbook. Playing catch with his receivers to work on timing isn't out of the question either.

I would hope he knows the playbook by now

True, but it wouldn't hurt to go over it again and get down every mental rep possible with so much offtime. I'm sure PM looks at his playbook every year and imagines all kinds of different scenarios and what will work with what defenses. I don't think any QB will be satisfied with one year of studying the playbook.

True, but it wouldn't hurt to go over it again and get down every mental rep possible with so much offtime. I'm sure PM looks at his playbook every year and imagines all kinds of different scenarios and what will work with what defenses. I don't think any QB will be satisfied with one year of studying the playbook.

I know Peyton Manning, watched him work his magic for over a decade. Bob is no Peyton Manning.

Hey Quiz, can you see the doc please. I'd like a concussion test before you post again. Thanks.....

Commish

Lol. This coming from a member of a fanbase that believes 12 will be better than Manning and win more championships because "he can run too." Newsflash, sir, Manning is not God. There will be others just as if not better than him. Ask me and there is one already playing right now...

Lol. This coming from a member of a fanbase that believes 12 will be better than Manning and win more championships because "he can run too." Newsflash, sir, Manning is not God. There will be others just as if not better than him. Ask me and there is one already playing right now...

This coming from guy that thinks schaub has a snow cones chance in hell of winning it all...lol

Good.. Keep thinking of those avatar ideas you're gonna need it after this weekend

I'll put one up of 12 getting creamed or maybe one of him throwing one of his many interceptions. That's Colts football for you. Oh yeah, assuming we lose this weekend.

I'll put one up of 12 getting creamed or maybe one of him throwing one of his many interceptions. That's Colts football for you. Oh yeah, assuming we lose this weekend.

Ha ha.. Don't be mad schaub, is terrible. Luck had a better rookie year than schaub.. Wasn't he sitting on the bench behind a felon

RG better than Manning?  WHAT?  :facepalm:

His ability to do run and pass is what made him a dangerous player - though that also is what made him an injury magnet in the NFL!   He never stood any chance at all of being one of the best of all time - never and at this point he'll be lucky to last 3-5 seasons!

RG better than Manning? WHAT? :facepalm:

His ability to do run and pass is what made him a dangerous player - though that also is what made him an injury magnet in the NFL! He never stood any chance at all of being one of the best of all time - never and at this point he'll be lucky to last 3-5 seasons!

Any player could get hurt and last only a few years. Griffin will be just fine.