Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We need one more win to clinch a playoff spot

oldunclemark

We can still win the division, beating Houston should be priority #1. I don't want the team to settle, but yeah if we beat KC we are good to go.

I'm just looking at the chances of defeating Houston twice.....compared the chances of winning at last place KC...

you are right..obviously...if we blow out the Texans in Houston.......we rule!!!

I believe the Colts need one more win...OR one more loss by two of the 3........ Pitt, Cincy and the Jets

..we can make the playoffs with a win at Kansas City (2-11) on Dec. 23

..please correct me if I'm wrong

Yes that would put us at at least 7-5 in the conference. Pitt has 6 conference losses now and Cinn has 5 . So if Pitt wins out , that gives Cinn 6 losses and 6 losses in the conference. If Cinn wins out it gives Pitt 7 losses in the conference. So with another win , it gives us the tie breakers with both Pitt and Cinn.

I heard ESPN saying..at 9-4 we're in..and that's not actually true..

..we cant go 9-7 if Cincy and the Jets are 9-7...

The Jets would then eliminate us because they beat us...and Cincy and the NYJs would make the playoffs

Mike and Mike kept saying we are in, which is totally untrue and they should be ashamed of themselves.

I heard ESPN saying..at 9-4 we're in..and that's not actually true..

..we cant go 9-7 if Cincy and the Jets are 9-7...

The Jets would then eliminate us because they beat us...and Cincy and the NYJs would make the playoffs

The Colts are essentially in. One more win and they are in. Or the Pitt and Cincy have to win out and tie the game they play against each other.

From ESPN...

Clinch playoff spot with:

1) IND win OR

2) IND tie + CIN loss or tie OR

3) IND tie + PIT loss or tie OR

4) CIN loss or tie + PIT loss or tie + NYJ loss or tie

In a 3 way tie like you mention with the Colts, Jets & Cincy, head to head means nothing.

The Colts are essentially in. One more win and they are in. Or the Pitt and Cincy have to win out and tie the game they play against each other.

From ESPN...

1) IND win OR

In a 3 way tie like you mention with the Colts, Jets & Cincy, head to head means nothing.

"J' are you sure?

Check this out//// from the NFL web site.....

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
  2. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
  2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
  5. Strength of victory.
  6. Strength of schedule.
  7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  9. Best net points in conference games.
  10. Best net points in all games.
  11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
  12. Coin toss

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

I believe the Colts need one more win...OR one more loss by two of the 3........ Pitt, Cincy and the Jets

..we can make the playoffs with a win at Kansas City (2-11) on Dec. 23

..please correct me if I'm wrong

From ESPN...

1) IND win OR

Right, Essentially Assuming Pitt and CIN don't tie. We get into the playoffs with a Jets L or a Colts W

From ESPN...

1) IND win OR

The Colts are all but in...

Here is the thing the Bengals or Steelers are going to lose at least one more game because they are going to play each other still. So we really just need a Jets loss if we don't win this weekend. We won't be "officially" in because the Bengals and Steelers don't play till the next weekend but we would be in with a Jets loss. Or we can just take it out of everyone's hands and just beat the Texans and be in!

..folks...

How do we win a 3-way 9-7 tie between the Colts, Cincy and the Jets..?

Cincy and the Jets did not meet......and we lost to the Jets....

the first tiebreaker for non-division rivals is head-to-head...THEN conference records.....

the Jets would, eliminate us and Cincy and the NYJs would be the two 'card' teams.....with '5' ond '6' deciced on conference records..

right?

Its not far fetched that Cincy wins their last 3...or that we lose our last 3.....

Nobody can predict the Jets, really