Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard was productive

krunk

I've bashed him more than once in this forum, but I have to say he had a solid game today.

Actually he and Carter had solid games. The Browns defense was a bit underwhelming so

I'm not sure if they should have produced even more, but I'll take it.

Ballard ran hard and had a good game today, Blown tackle helped him alot with his yards on that long run though but obviously cant run for big yards on most or alot of plays for that matter, nice game for Ballard, he got better the more carries he gets, alot of Backs are like that probably most

Ballard and Carter both were productive. We actually were able to run the ball fairly consistently. I like it. I'm still confidant in any combination of Brown, Ballard, and Carter.

Ballard just shouldn't run out of bounds at the end, if he does we just kneel it out instead of having to punt.

Ballard and Carter both did have very good games today. They need to teach Ballard some situational awareness though...he should have gone down in the field of play on that long run at the end of the game. Yeah he did a great job of getting the first down but he also gave Cleveland an extra timeout. I'm sure they'll talk to him about it and will get it straightened out. Just one of the many things to learn when making the transition from college to the NFL is that the clock doesn't automatically stop when you get a first down in the NFL like it does in college. I'd be willing to bet that's what he was thinking...since he got the first down the clock would stop anyway so running out of bounds wouldn't really matter. But this is the big leagues now and there are some differences in the rules.

Like I said, I'm sure they'll talk to him about this...just chalk it up to a one time (hopefully) rookie mistake. :)

Ballard seems to hesitate like he`s thinking too much and not just getting after it. I do like the way he lowers his pads and puts a thump on the defensive players but so indecisive

he does hesitate..and he missed some holes..but 84 yards...and the big run at the end...very. very good.

..and Carter did not fumble...I was very happy for him...

Balard can take a lot of punsihment which is a requiremen for a Colts rusher..

....its true he didnt run out of bounds when he could have and should have..

...but he's a rookie...and we need him because I'd be shocked if Donald Brown missed only 3 ganmes

why would you have bashed him previously? until today the line's run blocking has stunk and he didn't get many chances to prove himself.

Not everything previously was the fault of the OL. There were plays to be made, and Ballard was either too slow, unable to make his man miss, or ran in the wrong hole previous to todays game. He was better today.

The oline had been consistent at run blocking since the Packers game, so most of the credit goes to them..... Reitz is our ot needed. But ok game for Ballard he could have had a lot more yards but productive for a backup....

I think I could see the difference with Reitz, but then again the Browns defense was pretty mediocre so it's hard to get a good gauge.

I think I could see the difference with Reitz, but then again the Browns defense was pretty mediocre so it's hard to get a good gauge.

I actually meant Reitz is NOT needed but yea this line is getting better and better both pass and run blocking..... Why go mess that up now

I actually meant Reitz is NOT needed but yea this line is getting better and better both pass and run blocking..... Why go mess that up now

Why? Because if you can upgrade the talent level at a given position then you do it. Yes, that may mean they lose a little in continuity but they should quickly get that back once Reitz gets some playing time with the current line.

I thought I saw Reitz out there today, but now that I check jersey numbers I believe I was confusing him with Mcglynn!

Ballard and Carter both were productive. We actually were able to run the ball fairly consistently. I like it. I'm still confidant in any combination of Brown, Ballard, and Carter.

Ballard just shouldn't run out of bounds at the end, if he does we just kneel it out instead of having to punt.

Facing a second-and-13 from the Indianapolis 36-yard line, Ballard broke a tackle off the left side of the line to rip off a 26-yard run. The rookie did go out of bounds on the play, a mistake that even he laughed about while talking about the win.

“It’s definitely a learning experience because in a situation like that, you want to stay in bounds and let the clock run,” Ballard said with a smile. “But it kind of surprised me and I forgot the situation, so I ended up running out of bounds. But we got the win so I didn’t have to pay for it.”

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/BALLARD-CARTER-SHARE-LOAD-IN-VICTORY/ec46569d-e5fb-46a8-8dee-ec21b73d410e

Why? Because if you can upgrade the talent level at a given position then you do it. Yes, that may mean they lose a little in continuity but they should quickly get that back once Reitz gets some playing time with the current line.

What upgrade? Fans think they see an upgrade but there is no upgrade. Reitz could have played today if they really needed him but Arians felt like they didn't which is why they let him rest another week.... I'm curious to see if there will be a competition there with Reitz and link

What upgrade? Fans think they see an upgrade but there is no upgrade. Reitz could have played today if they really needed him but Arians felt like they didn't which is why they let him rest another week.... I'm curious to see if there will be a competition there with Reitz and link

So you believe Link and Reitz are at the same level? I disagree but if that's your honest opinion then ok. The comment you mentioned from Arians is typical of a comment about a player when they are close to healthy but not quite...they could play if we absolutely needed them to but we would prefer to give them one more week to get back to full health. IMO, if Reitz were back to 100% today then he would have been the starter, and he will be the starter again once he reaches 100% health.

So yes, I do believe Reitz is an upgrade over Link at LG.

Just rewatching the game now, But through 1 quarter I came away really impressed with what I saw out of Linkenbach in his ability to open up some holes and stick with his man in the passing game at LG but like I said I am only through 1 quarter however so that could change. Hills struggled bad through that 1st quarter, a good example of that is at the 13:45 mark of the 1st quarter, he whiffed on a block and drew a penalty on the same play

So you believe Link and Reitz are at the same level? I disagree but if that's your honest opinion then ok. The comment you mentioned from Arians is typical of a comment about a player when they are close to healthy but not quite...they could play if we absolutely needed them to but we would prefer to give them one more week to get back to full health. IMO, if Reitz were back to 100% today then he would have been the starter, and he will be the starter again once he reaches 100% health.

Reitz has showed nothing to say he's the best guard where as link has showed everything... He may have been a horrible RT which is what I think ppl are hanging onto but he's been a very solid LG for the Colts... You see freeney put there playing less than 100%.... Reitz could have done the same thing.... Colts aren't in a hurry to get him back.... He may start next week but if he struggles then he'll be benched in the same game

I think Reitz and Link offer different things at Guard. Link is not the pass blocker that Reitz is but Reitz is not as good at opening up holes in the running game(neither are obviously consistent with it), in other words, neither are starters at Guard in my opinion, I will say this is about Reitz, Once he is back we will have 2 Guards that are fairly good at Pulling but neither are that good in drive blocking

Reitz has showed nothing to say he's the best guard where as link has showed everything... He may have been a horrible RT which is what I think ppl are hanging onto but he's been a very solid LG for the Colts... You see freeney put there playing less than 100%.... Reitz could have done the same thing.... Colts aren't in a hurry to get him back.... He may start next week but if he struggles then he'll be benched in the same game

Freeney is also out there playing because we have no depth behind him with Mathis also out. Hughes has played decently but aside from that we have no one on the roster that can get consistent pressure on the QB. Link has improved, I will give him that. I'm not saying he's been horrible. however, I do believe that Reitz is still the superior player and he will get the starting spot back when he's 100%. If he struggles, as you suggested he might, then absolutely Link should go back in. However the fact that Reitz has always been considered #1 on the depth chart at LG means the staff feels he is the best player we have to put at that position. It is nice to know, however, that if he does struggle or re-aggravates the injury, then we now know Link can come in and play relatively well.

Freeney is also out there playing because we have no depth behind him with Mathis also out. Hughes has played decently but aside from that we have no one on the roster that can get consistent pressure on the QB. Link has improved, I will give him that. I'm not saying he's been horrible. however, I do believe that Reitz is still the superior player and he will get the starting spot back when he's 100%. If he struggles, as you suggested he might, then absolutely Link should go back in. However the fact that Reitz has always been considered #1 on the depth chart at LG means the staff feels he is the best player we have to put at that position. It is nice to know, however, that if he does struggle or re-aggravates the injury, then we now know Link can come in and play relatively well.

Well I guess we will know come the next game.... Should be interesting

Ballard looked much more comfortable today and performed like it. Props for a much better game than the tentative outing he had against NY.

Also, I want to give some major props to Castonzo. He played like a beast today and gets better every week. He's not there yet, but if he keeps that development up, he'll have Pro Bowls in his future.

I'm a Miss State alum, and I know personally that Ballard made a living breaking long runs in college against SEC talent... How many big runs have we seen from a Colt's running back in the last 10 years? Not many and Ballard is a rookie with little playing time. Joseph Addai was a backup in the SEC with less production than Ballard and he was our starter for years and I am hard pressed to remember any long runs he broke.