Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

potential roster additions

Jason_

Unless a move has been made that I haven't seen yet then we have 2 spots available and we are in need of help on the DL due to the injuries to Tevaseu and Moala (any update on how serious Moala's injury is?), I've been looking at free agents and other teams' Practice squads and put together a little list of people maybe to take a look at:

I think we all have ideas of who could come in as backup NT in guys like Anunoby, Jean-Baptiste and possibly even the new guy, Geathers, on our PS though he could also be a 5 tech DE. So I've been looking for guys we could bring in to replace Moala for the time being:

Jerome Long, 6'5" 285 lbs, currently on Kansas City PS...http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1632753/jerome-long

Phillip Merling, 6'5" 315 lbs, current FA I believe, he's already been mentioned in other threads and could be a strong possibility

Marcus Forston, 6'3" 305 lbs, currently on Patriots' PS...http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1619686/marcus-forston (injury concerns as well as concerns about desire and character, but was highly ranked as a prospect...perhaps a Janoris Jenkins type of risk)

Brandon Bair, 6'6" 285 lbs, currently on Raiders' PS....http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/1116984

Rob Callaway, 6'4" 333 lbs, currently on Cowboys' PS...couldn't find much on him

Dominique Hamilton, 6'5 315 lbs, currently on Redskins' PS...http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1689628 (not overly impressed with his draft profile but figured I'd include him anyway)

Lawrence Guy, 6'4" 300 lbs, currently on Packers' PS...found this information on another forum that was reportedly from cbssports.com

Guy signed with Arizona State as a highly-touted prep prospect, turning down the likes of Oklahoma, Oregon, Nebraska and Tennessee, among others. His size and physicality make him one of the better, if more anonymous defensive tackle prospects in the country.

Scouts would have liked to have seen him return for his senior season -- as he's still getting by more on physical talent than technique -- but there is no doubting his ability. Teams operating out of the 3-4 alignment will like his length and strength, as well, as Guy projects nicely as a five-technique defensive end.

Guy's statistics are solid (122 tackles, 23 tackles for loss and eight sacks in 35 games), but not spectacular, leading to some discounting his talents. Don't be surprised when this Sun Devil defensive tackle proves to be anything but just another "Guy" and hears his name called among the top 100 selections.

Positives: Rare size. Possesses a quick burst off the snap. Can slide through gaps and disrupt the play before it has a chance to begin. Good strength at the point of attack. Good flexibility and core strength to anchor and create a pile. Flashes an effective spin move, which could be made more effective with the development of other techniques. Good lateral agility and straight-line speed for a man of his size. Possesses a late burst to the ball and can be an explosive hitter. Locates the ball quickly and pursues well. Flashes some nastiness. An ascending player whose best football is still ahead of him. Developed into a leader and high achieving student after early struggles at ASU.

Negatives: Remains a bit raw, technically speaking. Doesn't use his hands very well and can be blocked effectively by smaller, weaker men because of it. Struggles to completely disengage, so he rarely is able to take advantage of his closing burst with a free shot at the quarterback. Diagnosed with dyslexia and attention deficit disorder. Struggled with academics and maturity early in his career at Arizona State.

Chase Baker, 6'1" 298 lbs, currently on Vikings' PS....http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/chase-baker-97/ (unfortunately best profile I could find on him)

Micanor Regis, 6'3" 305 lbs, currently on Falcons' PS...http://www.hurricanesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=28700&ATCLID=205558777 (was suspended in college for low blow on an opposing player)

Nate Chandler, 6'3" 300 lbs, currently on Panthers' PS...http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/nate-chandler-89/ (interesting in that he was originally a TE converted to DE and then to DT....might be an interesting pickup with Dominique Jones also being cut)

the ones in blue are the ones I'm most intrigued by. Anyone got anyone else they think could be a good fit?

The pickup will not be replacing Moala. Nevis will be.

Touche. I did tell you that I also have occasions where I am not specific enough. I do realize that a new guy brought in will not step immediately into the starting lineup. Obviously, each man on the depth chart will move up one spot and the new body will go to the bottom of the chart. So, while a new addition will not replace Moala in the starting lineup, he will replace Moala in the rotation, even though the new guy would obviously be at the bottom of said rotation.

A few of those guys seem interesting. Hope Nevis locks that position down like I think he can.

Me too. Nevis, if asked to rush the passer from the DE position, which is not normal for a 3-4 DE, is smart and capable of playing the run on the way as well and be disruptive. We just need to give him that kind of responsibility, IMO.

Me too. Nevis, if asked to rush the passer from the DE position, which is not normal for a 3-4 DE, is smart and capable of playing the run on the way as well and be disruptive. We just need to give him that kind of responsibility, IMO.

JJ Watt leads the league in sacks from that position so it can be done. If like you said he plays the run on the way he will be better than Moala IMO.

I said Phillip Merling 6'5 315 who played 3-4 DE with the Packers there first 4 games until Mike Neal suspension was over. just to add to the DL rotation and simply because he has game experience already this year and is in game shape. and elevate Geathers from our practice squad.

I dont think we will add an offensive Lineman being that Reitz should be back soon and Hills and Sowell are already on the active roster, we have 9 OL on the active roster

Ricardo Matthews has been in the rotation.

They may just pickup a Dlineman just to have a body. It's pretty thin now, with 3 guys at the 3 tech.

We know Matthews has been in the rotation as well. We still need another body, as you said. We have Redding and Nevis that can play the 5 tech and those guys as well as Matthews can play 3 tech. Ideally I'd like us to find a guy that can play both 3 tech and 5 tech well but if we had to choose then I think we need a guy better at 5 tech because that's what I consider Moala...a better 5 tech than 3 tech, just like I believe Matthews is a better 3 tech than 5 tech, but imo Moala is better at 3 tech than Matthews is at 5 tech.

We know Matthews has been in the rotation as well. We still need another body, as you said. We have Redding and Nevis that can play the 5 tech and those guys as well as Matthews can play 3 tech. Ideally I'd like us to find a guy that can play both 3 tech and 5 tech well but if we had to choose then I think we need a guy better at 5 tech because that's what I consider Moala...a better 5 tech than 3 tech, just like I believe Matthews is a better 3 tech than 5 tech, but imo Moala is better at 3 tech than Matthews is at 5 tech.

I'd like to see us bring Clifton Geathers off the practice squad to possibly get some playing time at DE. He could play the J.J. Watt role for us. That's a big man, maybe he can swat down some passes and raise some havoc as well. Never know!

I'd like to see us bring Clifton Geathers off the practice squad to possibly get some playing time at DE. He could play the J.J. Watt role for us. That's a big man, maybe he can swat down some passes and raise some havoc as well. Never know!

I agree. I'd love to see what he can do but depends on how raw they consider him to be. That's basically why I compiled the list in the original post, in case they don't feel Geathers is ready to be put on the active roster, or if they want to try to keep Geathers on the PS and snipe a player they feel they could develop from another team's PS while still maintaining the rights to Geathers (unless another team snipes him from us).

I'd love to see Geathers at the 5 tech position to see what he can do. If Geathers has some penetrating ability then he could also play on the interior in 4 man fronts as well.

I agree. I'd love to see what he can do but depends on how raw they consider him to be. That's basically why I compiled the list in the original post, in case they don't feel Geathers is ready to be put on the active roster, or if they want to try to keep Geathers on the PS and snipe a player they feel they could develop from another team's PS while still maintaining the rights to Geathers (unless another team snipes him from us).

I'd love to see Geathers at the 5 tech position to see what he can do. If Geathers has some penetrating ability then he could also play on the interior in 4 man fronts as well.

I think he's mostly a 5 technique, but I don't have enough info to say he couldn't play DT if need be.

Looks like we got our wish!

Posted Today, 05:10 PM

Mike Chappell@mchappell51

#colts shuffle roster. Waive CB justin king, sign NT antonio dixon. elevate LB jerry brown, DE clifton geathers to active roster from PS

• 2 weeks later...

We picked up Guy....I was just off by a week. lol. I'm kinda surprised though, since they cut Jerry Brown, I expected they'd sign another DE/OLB pass rusher type. Unless the injuries to Mathis and Freeney aren't that serious.

The same reason why no one has replaced Linken on the O-Line :facepalm:

Link was replaced on the o-line he went form being a starter to a back up. The only reason he's playing now is because of injuries. He's the back up to a back up at his poistion and hopefully Reitz is back Sunday and he will be back on the bench.