Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CB Darius Butler - Roster Move

grmasterb

do you think coaches are right all the time and fans are wrong all the time just because we are fans?

No but I think the coaches are right a lot more of the time than the fans are and no offense no matter how much of an expert one claims to be on a message board I am going to side with the people who get paid to do this for a living.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No but I think the coaches are right a lot more of the time than the fans are and no offense no matter how much of an expert one claims to be on a message board I am going to side with the people who get paid to do this for a living.

who is claiming to be an expert? not be confrontational, just a question

who is claiming to be an expert?

People who say things like "well I haven't gotten to go back and look at the tape" comes across like they are trying to speak coach speak and asks questions like do you think the coaching staff is always right comes across as thinking they know a lot about the game. Nothing wrong with that and I am not saying they don't. I am just saying I am going to side with the people who do this for a living. Like I said you are more than welcome to your opinion I am just saying I am going to trust the coaches on this one and figure they have a method to what they are doing.

That opinion has nothing to do with Essex being released but more about how awful Olsen has played its not hard to see at all to even a common fan, Im sure the coaches have there reasons and it was mentioned Essex may have or did not clean ou this locker so who knows, but I know what I have seen from Olsen

Gavin - my guess is that keeping Olsen over Essex (who could easily be right back in a procedural roster move) is a reflection of a couple of things: performance delta (or lack there of) and development potential. At this stage of the season, Olsen is an established part of the team - part of the core 7 O linemen - and it takes a significant performance difference to unseat him by a newcomer that hasn't been thru camp. Secondly, Olsen is a young player that is still just now getting a chance to play and develop. The coaches have some investment in his development and may feel strongly that he has the tools to be a solid guard in the league once experience is coupled with ability. Just because he has some performance struggles now doesn't mean he can't be a starting caliber player in a year or two. That kind of progression happens all the time in this league and it it he responsibility of coaches and GM's to invest in the right players. Essex is a know commodity, he can play at a serviceable level, but he isn't going to get any better. You offer him a job when you need what he is today but you don't invest much in him for the future. He and Olsen are completely different players on the roster.

Welcome Butler. In regards to Essex over Olsen, and Link :facepalm: . I'm starting to think Link has the force.

Pagano- "Could you come into by office please Jeff."

Link- "Sure Coach"

Pagano-" Jeff, you've been on the team for a while now, and we appreciate your contributions. However, we are going to have to release you."

Link- *Waves Hand* "You aren't going to release me."

Pagano- "We aren't releasing you."

Link-"You are releasing Essex."

Pagano-"We are releasing Essex."

Link-"I can go about my business."

Pagano-"You can go about your business."

Link- "Move along."

Pagano- "Move along."

Link-"I'm not the O-Lineman your looking for"

do you think coaches are right all the time and fans are wrong all the time just because we are fans?

no one is right all the time. however, the biggest difference between any of us rewatching the game and the coaches rewatching it and grading it accordingly is huge. they know EXACTLY what each players reponsibilities are on every play. they know what pass coverage was called, what pass blocking scheme was called etc. a lineman can have a pancake block but if it wasn't his guy he gets a failing grade. my brother has been an assistant coach at a lower college level for 8 years. he says grading film is done the same everywhere. first and foremost a player is graded on did they execute the proper assignment and secondly the quality of said execution. a good block on the wrong guy is a failing grade. freelancing in team sports is a recipe for disaster.