Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The ungodly passing numbers of last season was an aberration

chad72

Two 5000 yard passers, several 4000 yard ones, a rookie that hit 4000 yards etc.

Defenses coming off a lockout had lesser time to install complicated defensive schemes. While the Pats and Packers' Ds have had a defensive draft, their secondary last year would still have looked slightly better than what it did, if not for the lockout.

Offenses clearly benefited last year. You will see that this year when things return back to normal.

Passing will still dominate, but it wont be anywhere near what we saw last year.

Defenses normally start out fast most seasons than offenses, and this year is no exception so far. Last year, there were exceptions across the board. Personally, it has not been anything close to last year's prolific numbers, IMO, the offensive production.

I said that at the beginning of this year that no QB will hit 5000 yards. I stand by that still.

I'm not sure if it is or not.

Wasn't there 3 5k passers last year? Brees, Brady & Stafford with Eli knocking on the door?

5k equates to 312 a game...

After 2 weeks only 4 QB's are exceeding that pace.

E. Manning 361

Vick 344

Palmer 335

Brees 332

Stafford is knocking on the door at 292

I could see a couple of those falling below the 312 pace, but I could see a few others approach it as well.

4k= 250 a game. Currently 19 are on that pace including 2 rookies.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a couple of more 5k years...

Last year's league wide stats through week 2

Had to clean that garbage up a bit.

week2.jpg

The #'s through 2 weeks are off a bit, even though scoring is up...

PASS TIME: There have been 18 individual 300-yard passing performances so far in 2012, the second-most ever through the first two weeks of a season (23, 2011). Net passing yards are at 15,232, also the second-most ever through the first two weeks (15,788, 2011).

In addition to being the second-most through Week 2, the 18 individual 300-yard passing games are already tied for the fourth-most through the first three weeks of any NFL season with a full slate of games still to play.

The most individual 300-yard passing games through Week 2 and Week 3 in NFL history:

300week2.jpg

I don't ***know*** if Chad is right.

But, honestly, I ***hope*** Chad is right.

Hey, I love passing as much as the next guy. But running is important too. And so is defense.

I'm a FOOTBALL fan, not just a fan of passing. I like ALL parts of football, not just throwing.

I'm fine with this being a more passing-friendly league, i just don't want it to be like a 7-on-7 passing league, or some video game.

Just one fans opinion....

Just one fans opinion....

shared by many I hope....I love defense and a physical running game. The old steelers teams of the 70s were some of my favorites, though I didn't get to see them live, I've done plenty of research over the years.

more recent...85 bears, 00 ravens, etc.

Two 5000 yard passers, several 4000 yard ones, a rookie that hit 4000 yards etc.

Defenses coming off a lockout had lesser time to install complicated defensive schemes. While the Pats and Packers' Ds have had a defensive draft, their secondary last year would still have looked slightly better than what it did, if not for the lockout.

Offenses clearly benefited last year. You will see that this year when things return back to normal.

Passing will still dominate, but it wont be anywhere near what we saw last year.

Defenses normally start out fast most seasons than offenses, and this year is no exception so far. Last year, there were exceptions across the board. Personally, it has not been anything close to last year's prolific numbers, IMO, the offensive production.

I said that at the beginning of this year that no QB will hit 5000 yards. I stand by that still.

Its easy to stand by that in week 3....

Didnt Eli throw for 500...

Peyton and Luck..300 each...in week three....

The yardage numbers rise as the season goes on and secondaries get beat up...

I can see Eli doing it. For some reason Defense seem to give up in the 4th QTR with the Lead against the Giants.

yeah...Tampa completely wet the bed to the tune of 510 yards....or whatever that was.....8000+ yards for the season if he kept that pace up. :P

Last year was awful with passing stats.

Remember when Marino had that record of 5,000 passing yards? Yeah it was amazing but what no one remembers is the Dolphins didn't run the ball back then. That's ultimately what killed them in that Super Bowl and every year after that. Marino absolutely hated handing it off and running it. In that Super Bowl the Niners dropped back into a Nickle and Dime the entire game. Walsh was going to make Marino beat him with the running game, and on top of that, back then it was much harder to throw for 300-400 yards a game when you couldn't throw out of bounds and there wasn't all these rules that helped receivers and quarterbacks.

Just the fact alone that we had 3 Qb's eclipse the 5,000 passing yards shows how watered down the league is, and how ridiculously easy it is to rack up stats. That is just insane and terrible, I'm sorry but it's not fun sitting there and watching that back and forth and having no defense.

I know the running game isn't as sexy as drooling over monster QB numbers, though it's the reason I enjoy watching what Harbaugh does with the Niners. They are pounding the ball left and right and running it. They're not asking Smith to put it in the air 40 times a game and lose.

This year there seems to be a down play in the big quarterbacks with no run game.

The Saints in the absence of Sean Payton don't like running the ball at all. (Even when Payton was there, they didn't start really running it until they were up by 10+ points)

Pierre Thomas averaged 10.5 yards a carry against the Panthers. On only 10 carries he had over 110 rushing yards...Instead of continuing to run the ball, Brees went on to throw it 49 times in that game. When your averaging that many yards a carry on one guy, why even bother passing?

The Giants are another one, but unlike the Saints, their run game just flat out sucks and after a while they don't even try to run it. I don't think it's going to last for them either. Tampa Bay is one game, and they should have lost that one (Thank you Buc's offense for going to waste in the second half!).

Green Bay and Detroit also don't like running the ball and it's starting to back fire on them. Manning in Denver don't like running the ball and you see how it's hurting them when he's got all the pressure on his shoulders to win the game by himself like the Saints do with Brees since they absolutely hate running the ball.

In all honesty it's a great thing the passing game is starting to die down. If you throw the ball over 50 times a game, you don't deserve to win, sorry but I believe it that way. Of all the coulda, woulda, shoulda's in the world, the run game is still a key element. I'm glad this is happening. I'm sick to death of hearing how this quarterback and that quarterback are the greatest ever cause they throw for 400-500 yards, or 5,000 yards. And I love Brees and Rodgers to death, but the league is not half of what it used to be when Marino, Moon, Kelly, and Montana were putting up those numbers. Itr was much harder, and they threw a lot more interceptions since defenses were playing way better. QB's are human! You're bound to throw an interception at least once if you're going to put it up that many times!

I hear people all the time blame it on wide receivers when a team is throwing it 40-60 times, but seriously, how are they going to catch every single pass when they have no help on the run? That's how I look at it. You seen the Saints against the 49ers last year in the divisional round, Brees put it in the air 60 times in that game, and they still almost won. That was ridiculous, i think they only had 13 total rushing yards in that game. But of course the turnovers is what killed them, but they couldn't run the ball, didn't even try and that was a key factor in that game, that's also a key factor their offense is suffering this season.

Last year was awful with passing stats.

Remember when Marino had that record of 5,000 passing yards? Yeah it was amazing but what no one remembers is the Dolphins didn't run the ball back then. That's ultimately what killed them in that Super Bowl and every year after that. Marino absolutely hated handing it off and running it. In that Super Bowl the Niners dropped back into a Nickle and Dime the entire game. Walsh was going to make Marino beat him with the running game, and on top of that, back then it was much harder to throw for 300-400 yards a game when you couldn't throw out of bounds and there wasn't all these rules that helped receivers and quarterbacks.

Just the fact alone that we had 3 Qb's eclipse the 5,000 passing yards shows how watered down the league is, and how ridiculously easy it is to rack up stats. That is just insane and terrible, I'm sorry but it's not fun sitting there and watching that back and forth and having no defense.

I know the running game isn't as sexy as drooling over monster QB numbers, though it's the reason I enjoy watching what Harbaugh does with the Niners. They are pounding the ball left and right and running it. They're not asking Smith to put it in the air 40 times a game and lose.

This year there seems to be a down play in the big quarterbacks with no run game.

The Saints in the absence of Sean Payton don't like running the ball at all. (Even when Payton was there, they didn't start really running it until they were up by 10+ points)

Pierre Thomas averaged 10.5 yards a carry against the Panthers. On only 10 carries he had over 110 rushing yards...Instead of continuing to run the ball, Brees went on to throw it 49 times in that game. When your averaging that many yards a carry on one guy, why even bother passing?

The Giants are another one, but unlike the Saints, their run game just flat out sucks and after a while they don't even try to run it. I don't think it's going to last for them either. Tampa Bay is one game, and they should have lost that one (Thank you Buc's offense for going to waste in the second half!).

Green Bay and Detroit also don't like running the ball and it's starting to back fire on them. Manning in Denver don't like running the ball and you see how it's hurting them when he's got all the pressure on his shoulders to win the game by himself like the Saints do with Brees since they absolutely hate running the ball.

In all honesty it's a great thing the passing game is starting to die down. If you throw the ball over 50 times a game, you don't deserve to win, sorry but I believe it that way. Of all the coulda, woulda, shoulda's in the world, the run game is still a key element. I'm glad this is happening. I'm sick to death of hearing how this quarterback and that quarterback are the greatest ever cause they throw for 400-500 yards, or 5,000 yards. And I love Brees and Rodgers to death, but the league is not half of what it used to be when Marino, Moon, Kelly, and Montana were putting up those numbers. Itr was much harder, and they threw a lot more interceptions since defenses were playing way better. QB's are human! You're bound to throw an interception at least once if you're going to put it up that many times!

I hear people all the time blame it on wide receivers when a team is throwing it 40-60 times, but seriously, how are they going to catch every single pass when they have no help on the run? That's how I look at it. You seen the Saints against the 49ers last year in the divisional round, Brees put it in the air 60 times in that game, and they still almost won. That was ridiculous, i think they only had 13 total rushing yards in that game. But of course the turnovers is what killed them, but they couldn't run the ball, didn't even try and that was a key factor in that game, that's also a key factor their offense is suffering this season.

Manning this year has been judicious with his running attempts. Besides, game situations and strength of running game dictate how many passes are attempted. If you cant run as well, how are you going to move the ball if you are Brees? Same with Rodgers?

Game 1 - 26 passes, 27 rushes

Game 2 - 37 passes, 27 rushes (they were down 7-27)

Game 3 - 52 passes, 21 rushes (they were down 11-31)

Game 4 - 38 passes, 36 rushes

You are never going to get Peyton play like the 49ers that you adore. But when you fall behind, like in 2 out of 4 games that Peyton had, your throwing attempts are going to much higher.

I'm not sure if it is or not.

Wasn't there 3 5k passers last year? Brees, Brady & Stafford with Eli knocking on the door?

5k equates to 312 a game...

After 2 weeks only 4 QB's are exceeding that pace.

E. Manning 361

Vick 344

Palmer 335

Brees 332

Stafford is knocking on the door at 292

I could see a couple of those falling below the 312 pace, but I could see a few others approach it as well.

4k= 250 a game. Currently 19 are on that pace including 2 rookies.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a couple of more 5k years...

Last year's league wide stats through week 2

Had to clean that garbage up a bit.

week2.jpg

The #'s through 2 weeks are off a bit, even though scoring is up...

First of all, great stats all the way down the thread. Gabbert is on pace......well 80 yard TD still makes me ill OK? :)

I may be beating the proverbial dead horse :deadhorse: , but wondering how much missed calls/no calls/bad calls by the Keystone Cop replacements impacted yardage either way in the equation? Maybe a wash?

Thanks for all of the good info FJC! I appreciate it!

First of all, great stats all the way down the thread. Gabbert is on pace......well 80 yard TD still makes me ill OK? :)

I may be beating the proverbial dead horse :deadhorse: , but wondering how much missed calls/no calls/bad calls by the Keystone Cop replacements impacted yardage either way in the equation? Maybe a wash?

Thanks for all of the good info FJC! I appreciate it!

I'm sure that they missed some penalties that allowed for plays to continue, and then again they missed some that would allow for more plays as opposed to spot fouls.

I guess since they were only employed for 3 weeks, any damage they may have done will be hard to detect at the end of the year(outside of the W/L) column for a couple of teams.

Manning this year has been judicious with his running attempts. Besides, game situations and strength of running game dictate how many passes are attempted. If you cant run as well, how are you going to move the ball if you are Brees? Same with Rodgers?

Game 1 - 26 passes, 27 rushes

Game 2 - 37 passes, 27 rushes (they were down 7-27)

Game 3 - 52 passes, 21 rushes (they were down 11-31)

Game 4 - 38 passes, 36 rushes

You are never going to get Peyton play like the 49ers that you adore. But when you fall behind, like in 2 out of 4 games that Peyton had, your throwing attempts are going to much higher.

The 49ers don't even bother trying to rack up passing stats.

Did you see what Brees was doing when his RB was averaging 10 yards a carry against Carolina? Why even bother continuing to throw the ball if one guy is gaining that much yardage and gains over 100+ with only 10 total carries?

The Pack are the same thing. They came out and ran greatly over the Seahawks and stopped, and went back to passing.

it's a death wish to keep throwing the ball when your run game is picking up steam like that.

When you're down by 10+ and keep passing, it's basically panic mode and exposing a weakness in the team. I don't see Eli winning 10 games this year if they continue to put it up 50 times a game.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey FJC, where are we on the numbers after week 7?

I'm sorry, I haven't spent the hundreds and thousands of hours pouring over the stats yet.

passingweek7.jpg

Passing league wide is actually up, yet only Brees is on pace for 5k and he's ahead of his record pace.

Part of the reason is the increased passing yards that the Colts & Broncos alone have had over the same # of games.

Just these two teams nearly account for one thousand yards.

nearly1k.jpg

Seeing these #'s did make me wonder about the scoring from 2011 to this year for the Colts.

scoring6weekscolts2011v2012.jpg

Man, Painter was addition by subtraction to the passing game. So, was Tebow.

Colts & Broncos - remove Painter, add Luck; and remove Tebow, add Peyton - that by itself has to be a huge yardage difference.

The other aspect of it is how teams are giving more leeway for their QBs to throw. Just from an offensive dependency point of view, both Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco are probably throwing it more as well, if I am right. That is a conscious change in philosophy from both the Falcons' and Ravens' coaching staff.

The two teams that are still getting it done the same way are the Texans and 49ers, ZBS and power running, line up, run it and generate pass off play action, the old fashioned way :).

It looks like there are more variables w.r.t teams, even with the same personnel, than constants from year to year in the passing game than I thought. :)

Man, Painter was addition by subtraction to the passing game. So, was Tebow.

Colts & Broncos - remove Painter, add Luck; and remove Tebow, add Peyton - that by itself has to be a huge yardage difference.

The other aspect of it is how teams are giving more leeway for their QBs to throw. Just from an offensive dependency point of view, both Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco are probably throwing it more as well, if I am right. That is a conscious change in philosophy from both the Falcons' and Ravens' coaching staff.

The two teams that are still getting it done the same way are the Texans and 49ers, ZBS and power running, line up, run it and generate pass off play action, the old fashioned way :).

It looks like there are more variables w.r.t teams, even with the same personnel, than constants from year to year in the passing game than I thought. :)

If the bye dates were the same each week, I'd go in and say Arizona was @ x in 2011, y in 2012.... but since a number of teams would have 6 games and some would have 7, it's not a simple copy and paste.

I'd say Eli has more in 2012 than he did in 2011 at this point. Brees, is ahead of his overall pace, but I'm not sure if he's ahead of what he had at 6 or 7 games last year.

Some teams might have less.. As hot as Newton started for Carolina, I doubt he's on the same pace. Cincy might have more with a more experienced QB. Miami/Cleveland likely have more with their new quarterbacks.

I was surprised that at this point there is more passing this year cumulative than in 2011. I thought it would be fairly close like it was in the previous weeks, but I was surprised to see it exceeding it.

If the bye dates were the same each week, I'd go in and say Arizona was @ x in 2011, y in 2012.... but since a number of teams would have 6 games and some would have 7, it's not a simple copy and paste.

I'd say Eli has more in 2012 than he did in 2011 at this point. Brees, is ahead of his overall pace, but I'm not sure if he's ahead of what he had at 6 or 7 games last year.

Some teams might have less.. As hot as Newton started for Carolina, I doubt he's on the same pace. Cincy might have more with a more experienced QB. Miami/Cleveland likely have more with their new quarterbacks.

I was surprised that at this point there is more passing this year cumulative than in 2011. I thought it would be fairly close like it was in the previous weeks, but I was surprised to see it exceeding it.

I am a bit surprised too.

Once all bye weeks are over by week 10, I think we will have a better trending idea after week 11. Then comes the playoff push factor for bubble teams in December, we will see whether that leans towards D played with more intensity.

I am a bit surprised too.

Once all bye weeks are over by week 10, I think we will have a better trending idea after week 11. Then comes the playoff push factor for bubble teams in December, we will see whether that leans towards D played with more intensity.

Then it will be easy to line up

ATL

ARI

ETC

ETC

and see which teams have an increased and which has decreased.

• 4 weeks later...

10 games each, so it's easy to compare apples to apples.

No surprise which 2 teams have the biggest jump.

passing10games.jpg

It is worth noting that Denver in 2011 had 2708 yards passing. Manning has 2889 in 10 games.

No more winning games with 5 or 8 throwing attempts, I guess, LOL :).

The final factor would be the defenses clamping up a little more in December, we will see if that has an impact on scoring during the home stretch.