Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Time For Changes?

clinton349

Isn't it time to start working on the defense? Our defense has not been good in a very long time! The only thing on our defense that is consistently good is our defensive line so don't you think instead of drafting a DE in the first round last year we should have drafted a defensive back? Our offense is amazing we have been at the top of the league for many years so why do we waste our high draft picks this year for offensive lineman? Our offensive line might not be perfect but apparently its good enough to still have the top offense so why don't we draft defensive backs instead? The only thing our team is really missing is defensive backs so i just want to know why we dont focus on that alot more?

Well this pre season we have not played very good and our secondary has not been very good for a while we have always been decent but to win a super bowl we def need to improve our secondary. I agree about the LB I think our Linebackers will do good this season!

Its not a personnel issue its the fact that we play nine yrds off on 3rd and 7. Pretty simple to figure it out

This is actually been the focus of my bane lately. It is dreadfully obvious that they are being coached to play off with such a liable cushion. I'm not understanding the philosophy of this player placement on every down. We're going to get eaten alive by Brady and the slant/hook route.

Wasting high draft picks on the O line? Did you not watch ANY games last season?? You know, the season when Peyton had about 1 second to throw the ball, and the Colts finished nearly dead last in rushing yards per game?? Sorry, but the O line was in big trouble with the loss of Scott, Saturday getting older...This "terrible defense" you speak of was ranked in the top 10 just two seasons ago in points per game allowed, that's the year we went to the Super Bowl if you don't remember. Last year the D was gutted by injuries; when you are playing a walk-on at SS b/c the first 3 guys are on IR, you have a big problem.

As for the cushion, yeah, I hate it too. I understand we don't have press corners (well Powers can be at times) but they line up way too far back. No D line/LB core can rush the passer on a 3 step quick out (a la Brady to Welker 50 times a game), so the corners need to be at the line jamming the receivers. The problem is, only Powers is really capable of that. Lacey would get shoved out of the way. But maybe play them a bit closer than they do now!

This D is built for the O....to play with the lead. With no offense in the first 2 preseason games, they've looked bad. oh and it's the preseason too, the Colts don't show their cards/schemes, play very vanilla on D, etc. but they've still looked rusty (missed tackles, overpursuing/bad angles) and teams can run on them b/c the offense isn't moving the ball and scoring points. When opponents are playing from behind they can't grind it out like Washington did. I expect that to change when Manning gets back, GAME 1.

Also, it's the PRE-SEASON. I'll start worrying if we start o-2. Not even 0-1, considering Manning's layoff and Houston's upgraded defense, but if we get beat in the home opener v. the Browns then it's time to start getting nervous

The colts drafted DE last year cause they couldnt get pressure when freeney and mathis were out and fans were complaining about the lack of pressure, then the last current year the Oline has showed alot of its flaws especially in the running and in some occasions in passing and the fans complained about that as well hence the colts drafted two early round draft picks.. lol fans have some bad memories. If the Dline can be as good as i think they can the colts wont need to worry about much else though i have to agree this whole playing off the ball is just ridiculous, i mean if your gonna depend on your ends to get to the QB wouldnt you wanna press to take of a few milliseconds the QB can get rid of the ball?

Since 2005, we have more pre-season losses (24) than regular season losses (21). Considering we play just 4 games in the prelude compared to 16 in the real stretch, I think it's time to stop worrying about what we look like in the pre-season.

This has got to be one of the worst panic attacks I've seen during an off-season. The combined number of threads suggesting changes that must be made based on an irrelevant series of no-contests is just embarrassing.

Well this pre season we have not played very good and our secondary has not been very good for a while we have always been decent but to win a super bowl we def need to improve our secondary. I agree about the LB I think our Linebackers will do good this season!

what is your problem with Powers/Tryon/Bethea/Bullitt?

Since 2005, we have more pre-season losses (24) than regular season losses (21). Considering we play just 4 games in the prelude compared to 16 in the real stretch, I think it's time to stop worrying about what we look like in the pre-season.

This has got to be one of the worst panic attacks I've seen during an off-season. The combined number of threads suggesting changes that must be made based on an irrelevant series of no-contests is just embarrassing.

Indeed and +1 for that, sir.

A short memory precludes a short sight.

It's time for a change....at the defensive back's coaching position. I was hoping to hear about that guy getting fired this offseason, but instead they get rid of Gene Huey, the guy who coached Edge. If there's one thing that everyone seems to be in unanimous agreement about, it's the stupidity that is giving up easy 7 yard slants on 3rd and 5. I understand that every kind of defense is going to have its flaws, but ours doesn't need to be that. I like most of our players. Powers and Tryon can both jam the WR at the line and run with anyone. If Tim Jennings can go to the Bears and be a starter, then I think anyone that was kept over him last year should be able to stick to their friggin man.

I'm kind of embarrased myself to be a colts fan, and to be associated with "chicken little, sky is falling" type fans. It is really out of control to the point where I may just stay away from the message boards so I don't have to be subjected to this nonsense.

Lacey aside, our CB depth is good. safety depth is good. LB upgraded.

let's wait till the first few games with Sims and Co. before we make any snap judgements.

I don't know if I would call the safety depth good. At most we have one guy behind Bullitt and Bethea who is playing well.

Other than that I agree with you and I would add that our DT play is much improved. We had a push all night vs. the Redskins at that poistion. I really think Nevis and Johnson are going to push each other for playing time. Moala is solid and I think he's getting better. Foster even got a good rush at times vs. the Skins. That's without Harris playing right now.

The one area I am worried about is our running stopping ends we brought in. It would be nice to have a good one of those and I think would do more for our run defense than anything we've done in years. We've never really had a good one. The best we've had is Brock and he was decent at best at stopping the run.

Here is the thing, the Colts have made it clear they are an offensive team which is smart when your QB is Peyton Manning. So they have always tried to do the defense on a shoe string budget. In order to change that that means we are going to have to start giving up some of our offensive stars. Anyone jumping over the idea of letting guys like Wayne, Collie, Garcon, Addai, Clark and others walk in the name of building a defense? That's what it would take and then we would be yelling we aren't giving Manning the players he needs on offense to win.

AMEN! :applause:

Pfft... I wish us playing 9 yards off and 3rd and 7 was our biggest problem.

When we're doing it with under 4 yards to convert is when it's REALLY the problem...

Agreed. I wish our corners could play bump and run coverage...instead we just let the receivers run unscathed and we bump them to the ground after a 1st down. :facepalm: . Cmon guys lets get physical! With our improved D line, the opposing QB shouldn't have much time to throw anyway.

The defensive line good?

How long have we been yelling for DT's?

I actually think our D line is going to be nasty this year. We will be able to keep people fresh and that is a very good thing. If we can stop the run on the early downs I'll take my chances on a 3rd and 7 with this defensive line.

In the past its frustrating when we played off at the cb position, but I think we are in pretty good shape. Field position is going to play much more into the gameplan this year than it did years past. If we are forcing opponents to go 80 yards all the time that is a good thing. Yes, when we play Brady, Brees, and other elite qb's that will be an issue. But we are getting ready to play the 3rd preseason game, so a whole bunch can change by that time of the season.