Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you think the Wilso/RG3 hype bothers Andrew?

GoodLuck

Not only does RGIII and Wilson have better teammates, their head coaches had more experience. Chuck Pagano was in his first year of head coaching, and Bruce Arians had to step in for Chuck, yet Arians didn't have any head coaching experience either. Their 11-5 record is a huge testament to Luck's success.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defenses always figure out everything except one....execution.  Manning proved this for a decade.  Defenses knew what we were doing but couldn't stop Peyton's flawless execution.  If RG and Wilson end up being great pocket passers like Luck, then yes, they will thrive.  But it's not a given because they haven't really done it that much.

It's not a given that any of the rookie QBs will thrive. They've all only had one season. We can't assume that one will do better than the others. But, depending on the efficiency of this group and barring major injuries, I believe that they are all capable of executing their respective offenses pretty well.

This post was liked by RGIII and Qwizboy.  You know, the non trolls who have never "liked" anything pro Colts.  

It was also liked by Kyle and Anton, people who are very pro Colt. I don't see the connection here.

Not only does RGIII and Wilson have better teammates, their head coaches had more experience. Chuck Pagano was in his first year of head coaching, and Bruce Arians had to step in for Chuck, yet Arians didn't have any head coaching experience either. Their 11-5 record is a huge testament to Luck's success.

Yep to say the Colts coaching situation last year was less than ideal is a major understatement.  Losing your coach is enough to mess up veteran laden teams.  Look at what happened in New Orleans last year.  The fact that the Colts as young as they were last year were able to channel it into something positive speaks volumes about the kind of men we have on this team.  The fact that Luck was later voted a captain by his teammates as a rookie speaks to the fact that he was a big part of leading that team last year threw about as much of a difficult situation as you could dream up. 

Honestly if you look at the biggest difference between the 2011 Colts that won two games and the 2012 Colts that won 11 you see a lot of close games till the fourth quarter.  The difference was Andrew Luck made the plays that had to be made to win games for the Colts while Collins, Painter, and Orlovsky couldn't make most of those plays the year before.  Simply put we had a QB who could make the plays in crunch time and that was the biggest reason the Colts went from two wins to 11 wins. 

With that said I don't like when people try to take away from what RG3 and Wilson did last year (not that you were).  They had great rookie years as well and frankly last year's QB rookie class is the best class of rookie QBs to come into the league in a long long time and frankly will probably be the best for a long time to come.  As for who was the best last year it really comes down to which one do you like more, just like some people like cookies while others like ice cream or candy for desert that's kinda what you are looking with the QBs last year.  All three are valid answers it just boils down to which one do you happen to like more. 

No it shouldn't bother him and here's why.

When you look at the numbers, it's easy to put Luck at the bottom of the barrel. But in all actuality, Luck had WAY less to work with; hence him being picked 1st overall in the draft.

You look at RG3's situation, he had a STELLAR running game having the #1 ranked rushing attack in the league. Alfred Morris was the 2nd leading rusher with 1,613 yards as a ROOKIE which is simply amazing and had the 3rd most attempts in the league. That was a HUGE reason for their success accompanied by RG3's god given talents. The Redskins also made some great FA moves adding Pierre Garcon and Josh Morgan to their receiving core to tag along with Santana Moss. While none of them are super stars, they are all serviceable play makers.

You look at Russell Wilson's situation, he has arguably a top 5 RB pounding the bricks down defenses legs. Russell Wilson was also fortunate having a running game; the 3rd ranked rushing attack at his disposal which is a rookie QB's best friend. The running game opens up everything on offense. Lynch was a huge part of the Seahawks success on offense. Wilson played lights out as well making great plays and showing resilience orchestrating long drives in must win games. Don't forget that Russell heavily benefited from having the best defense in the league being #1 in least points allowed. They kept the game close for him. A top rated defense and a running game... yeah.

Now for Luck, he didn't have the luxury of a 1,500 RB or a stellar defense (Wilson). Luck was the sole focal point of his offense and had way more pressure on him then RG3 and Wilson on taking that franchise QB role. His numbers aren't as pretty as RG3 or Wilson. He was tied for the most interceptions (18) in the league tied with Drew Brees as to where RG3 only have 5 ints and Wilson 10. His completion percentage is about 10% lower then RG3 and Wilson but Luck threw 234 more times then RG3 and Wilson! Luck attempted 627 throws which was 5TH most in the NFL and he's a ROOKIE! You are going to get more mistakes / turnovers when your rookie QB is asked to carry a team the way Luck had to; the life of an 1st overall. Luck also was 7th in the league in yards with over 4,300 yards breaking the nfl record for most yards by a rookie QB. Because of the pass happy offense, he also took more of a beating then RG3 and Wilson; 4th most sacked QB in the league being sacked 41 times. Luck had to win through his arm without the luxuries that RG3 and Wilson was fortunate to have. With that said, Luck had four 4th quarter come backs and seven game winning drives through his arm. Imo, Luck did more with less compared to RG3 and Wilson. From worst team in the league to a play off team. Luck had to embrace the role of a franchise QB at a much harder level then RG3 or Wilson did. He carried his team.  Luck just got lost in all the RG3 and Wilson hype.

Outside of that though, I think Luck will have another great year and will avoid the sophomore slump. I think T.Y Hilton will have another good year this upcoming season. Last year he did awesome and was quite the burner. Majority of his TDs were explosive plays being 40 + yards. I think he will continue to improve. I also like the addition of Darrius Heyward-Bay. He's a season removed from his best 900 yard season. His speed will stretch the field giving other receivers opportunities to kill them between the numbers.

I think the Colts are headed in the right direction with Luck at the helm who will become an elite QB in this league in my opinion. And this is coming from an Eagles fan. I may be an Eagles fan, but I'm a football fanatic who's a die hard fan of the game that loves discussing football and show respect where it's due. The Colts are a team I would root for (except if they meet up with the Eagles obviously). The Colts have a bright future with Luck under center.

No it shouldn't bother him and here's why.

When you look at the numbers, it's easy to put Luck at the bottom of the barrel. But in all actuality, Luck had WAY less to work with; hence him being picked 1st overall in the draft.

You look at RG3's situation, he had a STELLAR running game having the #1 ranked rushing attack in the league. Alfred Morris was the 2nd leading rusher with 1,613 yards as a ROOKIE which is simply amazing and had the 3rd most attempts in the league. That was a HUGE reason for their success accompanied by RG3's god given talents. The Redskins also made some great FA moves adding Pierre Garcon and Josh Morgan to their receiving core to tag along with Santana Moss. While none of them are super stars, they are all serviceable play makers.

You look at Russell Wilson's situation, he has arguably a top 5 RB pounding the bricks down defenses legs. Russell Wilson was also fortunate having a running game; the 3rd ranked rushing attack at his disposal which is a rookie QB's best friend. The running game opens up everything on offense. Lynch was a huge part of the Seahawks success on offense. Wilson played lights out as well making great plays and showing resilience orchestrating long drives in must win games. Don't forget that Russell heavily benefited from having the best defense in the league being #1 in least points allowed. They kept the game close for him. A top rated defense and a running game... yeah.

Now for Luck, he didn't have the luxury of a 1,500 RB or a stellar defense (Wilson). Luck was the sole focal point of his offense and had way more pressure on him then RG3 and Wilson on taking that franchise QB role. His numbers aren't as pretty as RG3 or Wilson. He was tied for the most interceptions (18) in the league tied with Drew Brees as to where RG3 only have 5 ints and Wilson 10. His completion percentage is about 10% lower then RG3 and Wilson but Luck threw 234 more times then RG3 and Wilson! Luck attempted 627 throws which was 5TH most in the NFL and he's a ROOKIE! You are going to get more mistakes / turnovers when your rookie QB is asked to carry a team the way Luck had to; the life of an 1st overall. Luck also was 7th in the league in yards with over 4,300 yards breaking the nfl record for most yards by a rookie QB. Because of the pass happy offense, he also took more of a beating then RG3 and Wilson; 4th most sacked QB in the league being sacked 41 times. Luck had to win through his arm without the luxuries that RG3 and Wilson was fortunate to have. With that said, Luck had four 4th quarter come backs and seven game winning drives through his arm. Imo, Luck did more with less compared to RG3 and Wilson. From worst team in the league to a play off team. Luck had to embrace the role of a franchise QB at a much harder level then RG3 or Wilson did. He carried his team.  Luck just got lost in all the RG3 and Wilson hype.

Outside of that though, I think Luck will have another great year and will avoid the sophomore slump. I think T.Y Hilton will have another good year this upcoming season. Last year he did awesome and was quite the burner. Majority of his TDs were explosive plays being 40 + yards. I think he will continue to improve. I also like the addition of Darrius Heyward-Bay. He's a season removed from his best 900 yard season. His speed will stretch the field giving other receivers opportunities to kill them between the numbers.

I think the Colts are headed in the right direction with Luck at the helm who will become an elite QB in this league in my opinion. And this is coming from an Eagles fan. I may be an Eagles fan, but I'm a football fanatic who's a die hard fan of the game that loves discussing football and show respect where it's due. The Colts are a team I would root for (except if they meet up with the Eagles obviously). The Colts have a bright future with Luck under center.

Not reading for accuracy or reading to debate...but just reading this post makes this poster of many posts nominate this for best first post ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :)  Welcome to the forum!   :thmup:

I think if Andrew read this thread, he would chuckle, shake his head in silly amazement, and go back to doing what he does....playing football. I think what bothers Andrew, is not living up to his own highly set expectations. It's why he is so damn good. I think he would feel exactly the same way, if he had been drafted as the lone, blue chipper out of college.

So I guess that was a lot of wordy drivel, when I could have just said.......no.

I don't think Luck cares to be honest. He's there to do his thing in Indy and that's all that matters to me. I keep getting the argument from everyone I know that Luck sucks of all of them because he threw 18 interceptions in one season, and even threw around Weeden and Tannehill in there.

:facepalm:

All five of them are pretty good, but that's the worst argument I've ever gotten. RG3 can take his Rookie of the Year award, I believe in my quarterback, Andrew Luck, and I wanna see how he performs next season so I can see him silence a few people.

Let's go :coltslogo: