Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shottenheimer

WoolMagnet

How many HC jobs has anyone predicted before the announcement? Pagano's career resume is 100% defense coming to the Colts but the defense has been C- to C+. If Ballard makes the call they may have a chance of snagging a good but no guarantee. Irsay needs to stay out of it.

Wouldn't be surpised if they keep him again to be honest.  Especially if we make the playoffs.    The list of candidates to replace Pagano is not exactly mind blowing in my opinion.   I'd be okay with Harbaugh or Saban as the replacement but odds aren't that high.    The rest of the bunch that may be available aren't exactly world beaters to tell the truth. .

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

How many HC jobs has anyone predicted before the announcement? Pagano's career resume is 100% defense coming to the Colts but the defense has been C- to C+. If Ballard makes the call they may have a chance of snagging a good but no guarantee. Irsay needs to stay out of it.

I'm sure the owner of the team will have input into the coach of HIS team

Just now, krunk said:

Wouldn't be surpised if they keep him again to be honest.  Especially if we make the playoffs.    The list of candidates to replace Pagano is not exactly mind blowing in my opinion.   I'd be okay with Harbaugh or Saban as the replacement but odds aren't that high.    The rest of the bunch that may be available aren't exactly world beaters to tell the truth. .

Saban is a God in Tuscaloosa.    He is never leaving there.   And I don't see michigan firing Harbaugh any time soon.   

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He will have major input.    As any business owner should

Input is not the final say that is why the bosses are supposed to hire people capable of making the right choices. All "good" GMs and players never take orders when they flat out don't buy in to them. Maybe the single greatest example of this fact is Peyton Manning warning the Colts to draft him or else while he was not even on the team.

25 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Input is not the final say that is why the bosses are supposed to hire people capable of making the right choices. All "good" GMs and players never take orders when they flat out don't buy in to them. Maybe the single greatest example of this fact is Peyton Manning warning the Colts to draft him or else while he was not even on the team.

But you said Irsay needs to stay out of it. That's nonsense,   he isn't going to completely stay out of it.    

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

But you said Irsay needs to stay out of it. That's nonsense,   he isn't going to completely stay out of it.    

If I am the owner, I hire the GM and I entrust the GM with making the decisions about his subordinates, ie. hiring the head coach.

If I am the GM, when I am ready to make my decision of whom to hire as HC, I consult with my owner to get him to sign off on the decision.

Just now, rockywoj said:

If I am the owner, I hire the GM and I entrust the GM with making the decisions about his subordinated, ie. hiring the head coach.

if I am the GM, when I am ready to make my decision of whom to hire as HC, I consult with my owner to get him to sign off on the decision.

That's probably the way it will go.  Ballard will first have to bring his list of candidates to irsay first I'm guessing 

10 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Anyone else notice Shott talking to Brissett on bench after OT interception.  Read his lips. He tells Brissett to "calm the *beep* down.  I like him.  He certainly got Brissett ready quickly.

i wonder why you never hear his name for coaching?  His dad was successful.

Maybe someday Brian will have an opportunity to bring a Super Bowl to his family. 

Marty was/is a class act.

I talked to Marty once and we had an interesting conversation. This was back when the Colts and the Saints were undefeated and undoubtedly heading towards a Super Bowl match-up. I told him that I didn't believe either team would go undefeated. I felt New Orleans was barely winning games, and close to losing one. I also told him that the Colts would fold up shop, and there was no way Bill Polian would go for a perfect season. This conversation happened around week 11 or 12. He didn't really agree with me at first, but then started to come around to my reasoning. Interesting guy, and very intelligent man. Definitely not someone with a huge ego. 

It is probably just a matter of time before Brian climbs the coaching ladder. 

10 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I believe @Superman made an exceptional post detailing how the offense has been largely the same under the different coordinators, but he can confirm.

I've talked a lot about the offense over the last 5+ years. Arians, Chud and Schottenheimer all come from the same Coryell grove, if not the same tree. Some people assumed that if Chud left for another job, Philbin would be the next coordinator, but I think it would be Schottenheimer, since he has run a similar offense to Chud's.

Pep tried to Frankenstein several different philosophies together into one offense, and as a result, his offense never had a definite identity. He also, IMO, struggled to get into a rhythm as a play caller. He had some good ideas and concepts, but his "plan" never fully came together. (Not all his fault, btw -- injuries completely undermined the offense in 2013, they relied on underperforming players and made too many changes on the OL in 2014, and then the offense got off to a really bad start in 2015 for multiple reasons.)

Chud's offense looks a lot like Arians' offense, IMO. And that makes sense, they're both Coryell guys. I have many of the same complaints about Chud's offense that I did about Arians', but so far, Chud doesn't abandon the run, uses his backs in the passing game, and uses more play action. There are still several things about Chud's gameplans and play calling that I dislike, but he's making a real effort in the screen game this year so far. The execution on those screens has mostly been terrible...

5 hours ago, rockywoj said:

If I am the owner, I hire the GM and I entrust the GM with making the decisions about his subordinates, ie. hiring the head coach.

If I am the GM, when I am ready to make my decision of whom to hire as HC, I consult with my owner to get him to sign off on the decision.

By all accounts Polian pretty much ran the whole show when he was here and Irsay took a complete back seat.  Yet if you read Tony Dungy’s book it was Irsay who made the call to get him here.  He’s the Owner he’s going to have say in who the head coach is.  No Owner would give up that control to any GM, let alone a first time GM.

With that said I am sure Ballard is going to have a lot of say in who gets the job if the Colts move on from Pagano.  

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

By all accounts Polian pretty much ran the whole show when he was here and Irsay took a complete back seat.  Yet if you read Tony Dungy’s book it was Irsay who made the call to get him here.  He’s the Owner he’s going to have say in who the head coach is.  No Owner would give up that control to any GM, let alone a first time GM.

With that said I am sure Ballard is going to have a lot of say in who gets the job if the Colts move on from Pagano.  

I would think that Irsay did talk to Polian about Dungy. It was a no brainer for Polian to agree with Irsay.  Then it was Irsay who made the call to Dungy.

I agree with you that no owner would give up control over a head coach being hired.

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I would think that Irsay did talk to Polian about Dungy. It was a no brainer for Polian to agree with Irsay.  Then it was Irsay who made the call to Dungy.

I agree with you that no owner would give up control over a head coach being hired.

I am sure he did.  That’s my point.  Any good Owner is going to listen heavily to what their GM has to say about a head coach opening but at the end of the day it’s going to be the owners final call.