Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Denver putting TJ Ward on the Block

DaColts85

6 hours ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

He's garbage in coverage. We don't need another stuffer, we need someone who can actually make a play on the damn ball/man up against a receiver 

Exactly...TJ is not what we need. He's good coming up strong against the run..,,but I agree..that;s not what the Colts need.

They have 2 young safeties who are better in coverage..and that's why they might consider a move.

His deal is up after this year.

Broncos need O-lineman and a backup QB...we probably cant help them

Lets just be honest....Ward is an undersized lb. He fit the scheme Wade Phillips employed very well. His coverage skills are atrocious. He was the right guy at the right time for Denver....but he no longer fits what the team is doing/needs. Denver needs to start working on that offense...that defense is quickly losing pieces. The difference between the Seahawks and the Broncos is Russell Wilson....and I don't see a qb on that roster that can lead that team. Maybe when Brock gets cut they sign him...funny how John Elway is this great qb and had some great offenses but he can draft a decent offensive player to save his life. Its not so easy to go out and sign a HOF qb to get you to multiple sbs....Elway was lucky Peyton fell right into his lap.

38 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Lets just be honest....Ward is an undersized lb. He fit the scheme Wade Phillips employed very well. His coverage skills are atrocious. He was the right guy at the right time for Denver....but he no longer fits what the team is doing/needs. Denver needs to start working on that offense...that defense is quickly losing pieces. The difference between the Seahawks and the Broncos is Russell Wilson....and I don't see a qb on that roster that can lead that team. Maybe when Brock gets cut they sign him...funny how John Elway is this great qb and had some great offenses but he can't draft a decent offensive player to save his life. Its not so easy to go out and sign a HOF qb to get you to multiple sbs....Elway was lucky Peyton fell right into his lap.

Yep. The Broncos fans need and deserve this because they started souring on him based on 1 bad year he had during the end of his career. That guy still knew how to get guys in position to play winning offensive football to give them a puncher's chance every time, and as cliche as it sounds, he was a coach on the field. :) 

I am just glad both Peyton and Ware got their SB ring towards the end of their careers. What is funny is Jerry Jones wanted Paxton Lynch bad and Elway leap frogged him, but settled for Dak Prescott who looks like the next Russell Wilson but just without an elite D. :) 

Elway's best hits have been someone else's draft picks, his strength has been free agency and I am certain he is bound to go after Kirk Cousins.

I'm kind of meh about this.  

For a cap background the Broncos would have to pay Ward's 1.25 M on his signing bonus.  That would leave the team receiving him only paying 4.5 M in salary.  He is in the last year of his contract.  

At the same time he is 30 years old.  

Maybe it's worth it if Geathers is going to be gone the whole season but if he's expected to come back midway through the season I'm not sure it's worth it.  We need CB help and LB help more then anything.

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 10:17 AM, dgambill said:

Lets just be honest....Ward is an undersized lb. He fit the scheme Wade Phillips employed very well. His coverage skills are atrocious. He was the right guy at the right time for Denver....but he no longer fits what the team is doing/needs. Denver needs to start working on that offense...that defense is quickly losing pieces. The difference between the Seahawks and the Broncos is Russell Wilson....and I don't see a qb on that roster that can lead that team. Maybe when Brock gets cut they sign him...funny how John Elway is this great qb and had some great offenses but he can draft a decent offensive player to save his life. Its not so easy to go out and sign a HOF qb to get you to multiple sbs....Elway was lucky Peyton fell right into his lap.

Peyton didn't 'fall into his lap'  That's rewriting history

But I know what you're saying..The Broncos have put together an top defense but haven't found the offensive linemen they need...

I don't know if they have them now....

Simien (who Elway drafted, by the way) is a good player..but its not him. its their O-line

14 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Peyton didn't 'fall into his lap'  That's rewriting history

But I know what you're saying..The Broncos have put together an top defense but haven't found the offensive linemen they need...

I don't know if they have them now....

Simien (who Elway drafted, by the way) is a good player..but its not him. its their O-line

The whole offense stinks....Elway didn't draft any contributors on that offense....I don't think a one. His QBs,Wrs, RBs and OL picks have been atrocious! I know Elway convinced Peyton to come there....but what I'm saying is that HOF free agent qbs don't just go to free agency....he was super lucky. Honestly Tebow is better than anyone they have on that roster now....I know you like Simien but I don't not one bit....Simiens greatest ceiling highest potential is basically Alex Smith...and that's being generous.

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

The whole offense stinks....Elway didn't draft any contributors on that offense....I don't think a one. His QBs,Wrs, RBs and OL picks have been atrocious!

This is not true at all.  Orlando Franklin is pretty damn good last I checked.  Garrett Bolles looks to be promising as he earned a spot already (maybe to early though).  Julius Thomas is pretty good and you could consider the temporary stint of Brock Osweiler.  He helped them when Peyton went down, do not care about him now though.  Plus a large amount of defensive studs.

53 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

This is not true at all.  Orlando Franklin is pretty damn good last I checked.  Garrett Bolles looks to be promising as he earned a spot already (maybe to early though).  Julius Thomas is pretty good and you could consider the temporary stint of Brock Osweiler.  He helped them when Peyton went down, do not care about him now though.  Plus a large amount of defensive studs.

I specifically stated offensive....and Bolles is the only current player on the team....Thomas was pretty talented but greatly over-rated without Peyton telling him where to run and dropping it in his lap. Franklin isn't even on a team is he? He got cut by the Saints without even playing a snap....and Brock is getting outplayed by a rookie...and likely to get cut as well. Not saying they've never had a good game or a decent stretch but man if those are your shining stars to say Elway has succeeded on the offensive side of the ball in the draft....that's rough...even worse than I thought. Defensively he has done awesome and clearly that is his saving grace but as his cap space runs out and he can't go out and sign star free agents like Peyton, Ware, Sanders, Vazquez, Ward, Talib etc he better hope he starts drafting better on the offensive side of the ball. I was specifically talking about the offensive side.....Monta Ball, Booker, Lattimer, Huerman, Sambrailo (just traded), Lynch, Ozweiler its honestly hard to find a stand out. Again I'm just saying that side of the ball has been a mess....Ryan Grigson draft quality.

On 8/30/2017 at 0:00 PM, Valpo2004 said:

I'm kind of meh about this.  

For a cap background the Broncos would have to pay Ward's 1.25 M on his signing bonus.  That would leave the team receiving him only paying 4.5 M in salary.  He is in the last year of his contract.  

At the same time he is 30 years old.  

Maybe it's worth it if Geathers is going to be gone the whole season but if he's expected to come back midway through the season I'm not sure it's worth it.  We need CB help and LB help more then anything.

For that price it has to be something to consider. Even if it's only to improve run defense. I know I am not the only one who knows that the run D is usually our biggest weakness. IMO, Ward at least brings a tough nosed attitude to run defense. I moved from Indy to Denver, so I am likely biased towards broncos D players. If Geathers does miss significant time, he is likely the best cheap option, while still being a proven vet. Cheaper than Haden by far, and would likely shore up the run defense, at least marginally.

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 1:03 PM, dgambill said:

The whole offense stinks....Elway didn't draft any contributors on that offense....I don't think a one. His QBs,Wrs, RBs and OL picks have been atrocious! I know Elway convinced Peyton to come there....but what I'm saying is that HOF free agent qbs don't just go to free agency....he was super lucky. Honestly Tebow is better than anyone they have on that roster now....I know you like Simien but I don't not one bit....Simiens greatest ceiling highest potential is basically Alex Smith...and that's being generous.

I get what you';re saying about Peyton....and in that respect, they were lucky..

,,,,you do have to include the undrafted free agents that Elway has brought in...including CJ Anderson. Chris Harris

I dont think we know about Siemian..last year as his rookie year and the numbers were not bad.

..and I'd have to diaagree that Tim Tebow is or ever was better than Trevor Siemian is now