@bababooey @NorthernBlue Shatty to the Rangers, as many expected.  I think they'll regret it.  Puck moving defensemen who can capitalize on the powerplay are nice, but are they really worth it if they're a defensive liability?

Just now, 21isSuperman said:

@bababooey @NorthernBlue Shatty to the Rangers, as many expected.  I think they'll regret it.  Puck moving defensemen who can capitalize on the powerplay are nice, but are they really worth it if they're a defensive liability?

Rangers also kept Smith didn't they? He's one of the best shot suppressing defense men in the league. I think if they pair him with Shatty, they'll be good to go.

Best way to cover for an offensively gifted but defensively inept player is to limit his time on defense. Pairing him with Smith might do that. Rangers should be better, but I agree. Lots of risk in this deal. Hopefully it backfires haha but I admit the rangers will be intriguing next season.

On 7/1/2017 at 2:48 PM, 21isSuperman said:

On 7/1/2017 at 2:54 PM, NorthernBlue said:

Rangers also kept Smith didn't they? He's one of the best shot suppressing defense men in the league. I think if they pair him with Shatty, they'll be good to go.

Best way to cover for an offensively gifted but defensively inept player is to limit his time on defense. Pairing him with Smith might do that. Rangers should be better, but I agree. Lots of risk in this deal. Hopefully it backfires haha but I admit the rangers will be intriguing next season.

I am very happy about both deals, Shatty could have gotten 7 years in New Jersey or Boston but wants to win a cup for his favorite team (he's a local guy). He gave up millions to play for us so he's literally reverse ARod. 

Both Shatty and Smith deals are four years, Smith is a good market value too but we no longer will have an albatross contract like Girardi (who was just bought out) and Staal (will be bought out within two years) anymore which was the goal. I think Girardi in TB for his new deal makes sense but our deals will be done when Smith and Shatty hit 32 years old. Not bad.

We traded Stepan last week who has 6.5 AAV for 4 years with a NMC kicking in today and Raanta for a young Dman and a top pick. Stepan was not worth that contract.

To further distill it, NYR swapped Stepan's 6.5 for Shattenkirk's 6.65 the next 4 yrs while trading Raanta for Andersson (7th round pick from ARI), DeAngelo (from ARI), Pavelec (new FA goalie backup).

Shatty will get top pairing w McDonagh. Smith worked very well with Skjei who took a big leap in a great second year so I imagine those two will stay together. A full season together will be sweet. Staal, Holden, DeAngelo, and a couple other young guys will all be in on the third pairing but we have a huge upgrade from Girardi on the top line, who was a defensive liability and provided zero offense. Our PP in the playoffs was abysmal so Shatty and DeAngelo should help. Kevin klein is expected to retire to give us 3 mil more in cap space.

i believe we have like 9 mil after he retires for us to resign Zibanajed and Fast. We also need another center after losing Lindberg to Vegas and trading Stepan. I would have liked Brian Boyle, to trade for Duchene, or grab Marleu and Thornton but was glad we did this big splash instead. Still, we need to find someone to fill out the bottom 6 but our PP and defense is just so much better now.

We are definitely going for the cup while we still have Henrik and are also smartly planning for the future by going younger and restocking the farm. Check out Igor Shestyorkin's stats in the KHL. I'm optimistic about life after Henrik as well.

Edit: Andersson was the 7th overall pick, not a 7th round pick

17 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

So far I have liked what Chicago has done

Bringing some fan favs back in Sharp and Saad

20 hours ago, bababooey said:

I am very happy about both deals, Shatty could have gotten 7 years in New Jersey or Boston but wants to win a cup for his favorite team (he's a local guy). He gave up millions to play for us so he's literally reverse ARod. 

Both Shatty and Smith deals are four years, Smith is a good market value too but we no longer will have an albatross contract like Girardi (who was just bought out) and Staal (will be bought out within two years) anymore which was the goal. I think Girardi in TB for his new deal makes sense but our deals will be done when Smith and Shatty hit 32 years old. Not bad.

We traded Stepan last week who has 6.5 AAV for 4 years with a NMC kicking in today and Raanta for a young Dman and a top pick. Stepan was not worth that contract.

To further distill it, NYR swapped Stepan's 6.5 for Shattenkirk's 6.65 the next 4 yrs while trading Raanta for Andersson (7th round pick from ARI), DeAngelo (from ARI), Pavelec (new FA goalie backup).

Shatty will get top pairing w McDonagh. Smith worked very well with Skjei who took a big leap in a great second year so I imagine those two will stay together. A full season together will be sweet. Staal, Holden, DeAngelo, and a couple other young guys will all be in on the third pairing but we have a huge upgrade from Girardi on the top line, who was a defensive liability and provided zero offense. Our PP in the playoffs was abysmal so Shatty and DeAngelo should help. Kevin klein is expected to retire to give us 3 mil more in cap space.

i believe we have like 9 mil after he retires for us to resign Zibanajed and Fast. We also need another center after losing Lindberg to Vegas and trading Stepan. I would have liked Brian Boyle, to trade for Duchene, or grab Marleu and Thornton but was glad we did this big splash instead. Still, we need to find someone to fill out the bottom 6 but our PP and defense is just so much better now.

We are definitely going for the cup while we still have Henrik and are also smartly planning for the future by going younger and restocking the farm. Check out Igor Shestyorkin's stats in the KHL. I'm optimistic about life after Henrik as well.

Love the analysis you put into this post.  Great post

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Wonder where Jagr goes??

cant believe he is still going

i remember watching him in the early 90s

On 7/2/2017 at 0:13 PM, 21isSuperman said:

Love the analysis you put into this post.  Great post

Thank you, rereading it I just realized that I meant to say Andersson was the 7th OVERALL pick in the draft, not 7th round pick.

Also, re: Jagr. He's def old and slow, but if he wants to take a discount to retry his shot with NY (nothing above 2M), then I'm all for it. Move Miller to C and keep Jagr on the wing, we just grabbed another center Desharnais from MTL/EDM, and possible that Andersson as the 7th overall pick this year can also play center as well. I just want to see Jagr break the record for most games played though, 56 to go.

On 2017-07-05 at 7:19 AM, bababooey said:

Thank you, rereading it I just realized that I meant to say Andersson was the 7th OVERALL pick in the draft, not 7th round pick.

Also, re: Jagr. He's def old and slow, but if he wants to take a discount to retry his shot with NY (nothing above 2M), then I'm all for it. Move Miller to C and keep Jagr on the wing, we just grabbed another center Desharnais from MTL/EDM, and possible that Andersson as the 7th overall pick this year can also play center as well. I just want to see Jagr break the record for most games played though, 56 to go.

I want to see Jagr get a ring.  Some potential teams that come to mind are Edmonton, Montreal, Pittsburgh, and Nashville.

18 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I want to see Jagr get a ring.  Some potential teams that come to mind are Edmonton, Montreal, Pittsburgh, and Nashville.

Same here, I'd put Edmonton, Pitt, and Washington above Nash and Montreal though. I'd say NYR and even CBJ are in a better position than Montreal as well. The Atlantic just isn't that good and Price just got a massive pay raise. I think we are in a good position after retooling the defense considering we blew two late leads against Ottawa that led to us losing in OT. We are just missing a top 6 center though. 

59 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Same here, I'd put Edmonton, Pitt, and Washington above Nash and Montreal though. I'd say NYR and even CBJ are in a better position than Montreal as well. The Atlantic just isn't that good and Price just got a massive pay raise. I think we are in a good position after retooling the defense considering we blew two late leads against Ottawa that led to us losing in OT. We are just missing a top 6 center though. 

I agree with everything but the Capitals in a better position than the Predators and Canadiens. I don't trust the Capitals in the postseason. They've got to prove it before I can put them at the top of the list

26 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

I agree with everything but the Capitals in a better position than the Predators and Canadiens. I don't trust the Capitals in the postseason. They've got to prove it before I can put them at the top of the list

I guess you are right. They are very good in regular season. Also, it should be noted that they went for it all this past year and weren't able to retain everybody. They lost Shattenkirk who took a hometown discount to play in NY, they extended a 30 year old Oshie for 8 more years in a contract they definitely won't hate in the future, Azner left for Montreal, Justin Williams left for Carolina, Johanson was just shipped to the devils for a couple of picks, resigned Kuznetsov to an 8 year deal, and resigned Orlov to a decent 6 year contract. They definitely aren't any better.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

Agreed.  As much as I'd like to see Jagr and Ovie team up, I don't trust the Caps in the postseason.

• Like 1