Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hockey fans?

22 minutes ago, Colt Cola said:

Blues up 3-0.

Allen has been great this series, and Dubnyk isn't playing bad for the Wild. Wild pretty much controlled the first 2 games but my Blues snuck those 2 games from under them. 3rd game the Defense pretty much controlled the wild and led to a lot of odd man breaks for the Blues. Hoping to finish them off in 4 and then sit back and watch the rest of the western conference beat each other up.

I'm a Blues fan because you have a couple of former Oilers that I like in Yakupov and Paajarvi (try spelling his name without Google).  I didn't think the Blues had much of a chance because of how well Minny did during the regular season.  I think they had a 12 game winning streak at one point.  For the Blues to be up 3-0 is unreal.  As a Blues fan, do you regret giving up Shatty now that the team is doing so well in the playoffs?

55 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I'm a Blues fan because you have a couple of former Oilers that I like in Yakupov and Paajarvi (try spelling his name without Google).  I didn't think the Blues had much of a chance because of how well Minny did during the regular season.  I think they had a 12 game winning streak at one point.  For the Blues to be up 3-0 is unreal.  As a Blues fan, do you regret giving up Shatty now that the team is doing so well in the playoffs?

I loved Shatty...22 is my lucky number, but our team started clicking right after hitchcock was canned and we are playing great through these 3 games...I would probably regret it more if we were down 0-3...

beginning of the year, i was * we gave Elliott away to the flames, In hindsight it has turned out quite nice.

So bummed. Rangers STINK at home. I was at MSG Friday night at Billy Joel happy as a pig in you know what watching the clock tick down on my phone until it stopped with 17 seconds left and I got 5 angry texts from friends. Can't believe AV went with Staal and Holden for the final shift. They can't score anymore either, time to get Glass out and put Buchnevich in.

Glad Talbot is killing it for Edmonton, really surprised that Chicago is down 0-2, CBJ is down 0-3, STL is up 3-0, and Washington is in a tough series so far.

11 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

@21isSuperman Like it's just sad haha 

michael-bluth-cornballer2.gif

If they don't win it this year, I'm done with them. I'll always cheer for Ovechkin, but if they don't win it this year, with all this talent and depth, they'd need some major changes before being serious contenders. It's still not over and I still think they have a great shot at winning this series, but I don't see them beating Pittsburgh 

10 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

If they don't win it this year, I'm done with them. I'll always cheer for Ovechkin, but if they don't win it this year, with all this talent and depth, they'd need some major changes before being serious contenders. It's still not over and I still think they have a great shot at winning this series, but I don't see them beating Pittsburgh 

I don't believe in sports curses, but dang the Caps are almost gonna make me. haha.

Seriously. This isn't even the first time. The team is SO good in the regular season. Their defensive structure, their offensive creativity and their cool and calmness is second to none.....then it just disappears when the playoffs begin. I don't get it.

You can call it a psyche thing, but that's why they brought in vets like Wiliams and Orpik who've seen it all. They got one of the greatest goal scorers who CONTINUES to score in the playoffs  (despite popular belief) and their goaltender literally has the BEST save percentage among active playoff goalies......so why do they keep messing up?

I hate to say it because it's such an easy out, but I can't see anyone else to blame larger than Barry Trotz. I love the dude, he's an awesome coach, but this is the third straight postseason where he is getting heavily out coached. 

I'll rock the red just as hard next year but dang if they don't get outta this my belief in this franchise is gonna take a HUGE hit. 

41 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

I don't believe in sports curses, but dang the Caps are almost gonna make me. haha.

Seriously. This isn't even the first time. The team is SO good in the regular season. Their defensive structure, their offensive creativity and their cool and calmness is second to none.....then it just disappears when the playoffs begin. I don't get it.

You can call it a psyche thing, but that's why they brought in vets like Wiliams and Orpik who've seen it all. They got one of the greatest goal scorers who CONTINUES to score in the playoffs  (despite popular belief) and their goaltender literally has the BEST save percentage among active playoff goalies......so why do they keep messing up?

I hate to say it because it's such an easy out, but I can't see anyone else to blame larger than Barry Trotz. I love the dude, he's an awesome coach, but this is the third straight postseason where he is getting heavily out coached. 

I'll rock the red just as hard next year but dang if they don't get outta this my belief in this franchise is gonna take a HUGE hit. 

It really is baffling that the Capitals continuously struggle in the postseason year in and year out. They have one of the best players of this generation and he's never been to the conference finals. Crazy stuff. Game 4 is a must win for them. I don't see the Capitals coming back from 3-1 against the Maple Leafs. Auston Matthews is a freakin stud. That was obvious after four goals in his NHL debut

7 hours ago, shakedownstreet said:

Why do Canadians... er... nevermind. I don't want to get banned.

haha I won't ban you.  Say it

1 hour ago, NorthernBlue said:

It's truly unbelievable.  There's a small part of me that thinks this team mirrors the Colts.  Ovechkin is Peyton from 2000-2005; great regular season stats, but lots of early playoff exits.  Meanwhile, his rival (Crosby/Brady) has a better team and is winning plenty.  The 2005 Colts were arguably the most talented team we had and they nearly went undefeated, getting the league's #1 seed before losing in the first round of the playoffs.  This mirrors the 2016 Caps, who had a great regular season, capped off with a President's Trophy.

In 2006, the Colts were almost an afterthought.  They were good again, as expected, but people began doubting them because of all of their previous playoff failures.  With the pressure off, they all stepped up their games and won it all.  Maybe the 2017 Caps do the same thing?

Like you, I think Trotz might be to blame.  As much as I like the guy, his playoff resume is nothing special.  His career playoff coaching record is 33-46.  I don't think he knows how to adjust and coach for the playoffs, when you need to capitalize on turnovers and maintain puck possession to wear teams down.

I've noticed a couple of things with the Caps.  They are playing scared.  They're terrified to make a mistake that will cost them a game and put even more pressure on them.  That's no way to play in the playoffs.  If you want any proof, just look at their opponents.  The Leafs are playing like they don't care about anything else.  It doesn't matter where they play or what the media says or whatever the case, they're going to play their game and let the chips fall where they may.  Another thing I've seen is the Caps don't have as much open ice to work with.  I watch the Oilers and I've seen bits and pieces of other series and it just seems like every team spaces better than Washington.  They don't get many odd man rushes, and it feels like they can never get away from their opponents.

Oshie needs to start lighting up the lamp too.

Can't believe the Rangers bounced back that way last night. Although we need more offense, the D stood up considering Brendan Smith died for our sins last night, and Montreal could only score when there was six men on the ice. Blowing game 2 is really killing me knowing we could be up 3-1 right now, but it's the Rangers and we always make it harder for ourselves. Hank is in top form.

On 4/18/2017 at 9:43 PM, 21isSuperman said:

Oshie needs to start lighting up the lamp too.

Well, you got your wish haha. Much better game by the caps but my lord the third period man. They were creaming in the first two and just let the Leafs waltz all over them in the third. Granted, extended 5 on 3 and 6 on 5 does that, but would like a much better overall effort as we go down the stretch in this series.

Also, what the heck was that GI call on Backstrom on the Schmidt no goal? Should have been 6-4. The Leafs got a ton of lucky deflections and bounces too. The Caps were bad in the third, but TML was lucky this wasn't a 6-2 drubbing.

Also, Wilson had the shift of his career on his first goal haha.

Still skeptical but feeling a tad better heading into game 5. 

12 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Well, you got your wish haha. Much better game by the caps but my lord the third period man. They were creaming in the first two and just let the Leafs waltz all over them in the third. Granted, extended 5 on 3 and 6 on 5 does that, but would like a much better overall effort as we go down the stretch in this series.

Also, what the heck was that GI call on Backstrom on the Schmidt no goal? Should have been 6-4. The Leafs got a ton of lucky deflections and bounces too. The Caps were bad in the third, but TML was lucky this wasn't a 6-2 drubbing.

Also, Wilson had the shift of his career on his first goal haha.

Still skeptical but feeling a tad better heading into game 5. 

2-2 is fine, though worse than it should be.  Wilson and Oshie had great games.  Holtby's been on and off so far this round.  I like the improvement I'm seeing though.

12 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

This freakin series haha.

Not gonna lie, had a darn near heart attack when I saw him leave. What's your opinion on the hit? I thought it was low but I'm biased sooooooooooooooo

When I saw Ovie's leg get hyperextended, I thought he might be done for the remainder of the playoffs.  I have hated Kadri his entire professional career.  It sucks because he's not a dirty player like Sean Avery, so you can't just outright hate him.  But he's such a pest.  I don't think it was intentional to go knee-on-knee, but Kadri has been such a pest all series (and his entire career) that I liked seeing him take a few jabs as the game went on.

But in the end, it seems like Ovie was good enough to keep playing and the Caps have pushed the Leafs to the brink.  Playoff hockey haha

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

@21isSuperman Well that settles that. Toronto played well. Kudos to the Leafs. On to Pittsburgh.

And would you look at that. For the third straight year, the Caps will be playing a game 1 of the second round at the same time as the NFL draft. :Gaah:

What a series.  I'm sure glad it's over.  The guys need some rest, so I'm glad they're off until Thursday.  Maybe the extended break makes the Penguins rusty, too.

I read on the Caps fan forum that the Leafs play a much faster pace than the Pens, and this will be to Washington's advantage since it could be an easier series for them.  On the other hand, the Pens didn't face much of a challenge from Columbus.

• Like 1

@NorthernBlue

@bababooey

@Colt Cola

Predictions for round 2?

Nashville-St. Louis: This is a toss up to me.  Jake Allen has been an absolute wall in net whereas Nashville swept the top ranked team in the West.  I have no idea who to pick here, but I'll say Blues in 7

Edmonton-Anaheim: This will be another good series.  I'm taking Edmonton in 6

Washington-Pittsburgh: Kinda scared here as a Caps fan, but I'm still believing.  Caps in 7

Ottawa-New York: Another tough one.  I really like Ottawa, but I think New York is just too well-rounded and Ludqvist was very good in the first round.  New York in 6

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

@NorthernBlue

@bababooey

@Colt Cola

Predictions for round 2?

Nashville-St. Louis: This is a toss up to me.  Jake Allen has been an absolute wall in net whereas Nashville swept the top ranked team in the West.  I have no idea who to pick here, but I'll say Blues in 7

Washington-Pittsburgh: Kinda scared here as a Caps fan, but I'm still believing.  Caps in 7

Ottawa-New York: Another tough one.  I really like Ottawa, but I think New York is just too well-rounded and Ludqvist was very good in the first round.  New York in 6

Nashville/St. Louis   Blues in 6

Edmonton/Anaheim  Edmonton in 7

Washington/Pittsburgh Pittsburgh in 5

Ottawa/New York  Rangers Sweep

4 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

@NorthernBlue

@bababooey

@Colt Cola

Predictions for round 2?

Yeah Nashville St Louis is gonna be a real tight series I think.  Gimme Nashville in 7. This series comes down to the goalies.

Edmonton Anaheim: I'll agree with you here. Oilers in 6. To be honest, the Ducks don't really scare me and Edmonton looked for real against the defending WC champion the previous round.

Washington Pittsburgh: Oh boy. This series is gonna destroy me emotionally for the next 2 weeks. I want the Caps to win this SO badly. My brain says either team in 7. But screw the brain. Time slay some dang demons. Caps in 5. 

New York Ottawa: Not much to say here. NYR is the better team. Rags in 6.

8 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Washington Pittsburgh: Oh boy. This series is gonna destroy me emotionally for the next 2 weeks. I want the Caps to win this SO badly. My brain says either team in 7. But screw the brain. Time slay some dang demons. Caps in 5.

Yes!! I'd lose my mind if that happened haha

23 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

@NorthernBlue

@bababooey

@Colt Cola

Predictions for round 2?

Nashville and St Louis both surprised in the first round, but since no 8 seed ever swept a 1 seed I have to go with the Preds, in 6.

Edmonton in 6 for me. Anaheim has a history of choking so I'm surprised they swept the first round, I love McDavid and of course Talbot, I'd love an Edmonton/NY SCF.

Wash-Pitt - winner of this could easily win the cup, Pitt shut CBJ down while Washington had a tougher time against Toronto. Caps get revenge though, in 7, I'm with you on that.

Rangers in 6. Ottawa is a very top heavy team, and Rangers have to be attentive of Karlson. We do, however, have more depth and better goaltending. Finally after putting Pavel Buchnevich in the lineup and sitting game 1 hero Tanner Glass, the offense started clicking better. Rolling four lines of speed and removing our enforcer allowed us more chances, and you could see Montreal's "Rotweilers" (shut up, Pierre) heads were spinning on both Zucc goals in game 6. It was a very close series with Montreal, grinding out all these 1 goal wins with 2-1 final scores, but we beat Price 3x in a row, and 17 seconds from beating him 5 times out of 6. However, the Rangers PP is a measly 1 for 14, whereas Ottawa has the best. They buried the Bruins with two OT PPGs and one OT goal 12 seconds after the PP ended. The Bruins trended upward after the Julien firing but they still are not a complete team and they could have won that series, but they simply are not a very good team. Rangers were better than both teams (and Montreal in the regular season) so I expect that to continue. Seeing Brassard vs. Zibanajed against each other will be interesting since they were traded for each other. Brass leads the sens in goals, ZBad leads the Rangers in points.

The Brassard/Zuccarello NHL's biggest bromance turned playoff opponent is the biggest story nobody is talking about.

http://www.thepostgame.com/derick-brassard-and-mats-zuccarello-bromance

Late to the party.

Though my heart bleeds for my hometown Flyers. No playoffs for us however. And the 5 years have been tough 3/5 missing the playoffs. Before this stint we made the Stanley Cup more than we missed the playoffs.

But speaking playoffs, anyone but Pittsburgh. And since I live and work near DC now I guess go Caps.

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

@NorthernBlue brutal loss for the Caps last night, eh?  They outplayed the Pens from what I saw, but couldn't finish

Couple mistakes cost em. Horrible coverage by Orpik on Bonino's GWG there, and I thought Holtby wasn't as sharp. 

But I'm not worried. Funny, if this was against Toronto in the first round my reaction would be WAY different. But the Caps played well. Honestly, that's all you can ask of them as a fan. I don't think they lose this series. Not if they play like that four more times.

But seriously. Screw Pittsburgh haha. Screw the Penguins, the Steelers and the Pirates too. Just because. 

3 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Couple mistakes cost em. Horrible coverage by Orpik on Bonino's GWG there, and I thought Holtby wasn't as sharp. 

But I'm not worried. Funny, if this was against Toronto in the first round my reaction would be WAY different. But the Caps played well. Honestly, that's all you can ask of them as a fan. I don't think they lose this series. Not if they play like that four more times.

But seriously. Screw Pittsburgh haha. Screw the Penguins, the Steelers and the Pirates too. Just because. 

Agreed.  If they play with the same intensity and energy they had yesterday, I definitely think they win this one in 5 or 6

Penguins with a dominating 6-2 win. That series might be over. I don't see the Capitals winning four times in five games. And the Senators had a crazy win today. Pageau with four goals is just insane. Scored two in the final 3:30 to send the game to OT and then scored the GW goal in the 2nd OT. That's just clutch on his part. And also a complete collapse on the Rangers part

41 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

@21isSuperman

At least the Colts' draft was pretty good :pokerface:

I wasn't able to watch the game, so let me tell you about the rollercoaster emotional ride I went on...

I checked the game update on my phone and it's 1-1.  I look at the recent plays and it's complete domination by Washington.  Washington shot, Washington shot, Pittsburgh blocks a shot, Washington shot, etc.  I was stoked.  A few hours later, I got a text from my buddy asking how I feel now that the Pens are up 3-1.  I was a bit surprised, but the Caps were down 2 goals in game 1 and came back.  I later checked the final score of the game.....

Holtby hasn't been that good in these playoffs.  Not sure what's going on with him.  I think Washington can still win in 7, but it'll take everything they've got.  What concerns me is that if they are able to make the comeback and win the series, they'll be so exhausted from the Toronto series and this series that they might have nothing left for the Eastern Conference Finals.  It remains possible; just gotta approach it one game at a time.  But I have a lot of doubt.

On the other hand, how about those Oilers!?!  Won two games on the road in Anaheim

11 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

6 OTs. 8 one goal games. A near collapse in the final minutes. The Cardiac Caps sure do live up to their name....

giphy-271.gif?w=500&h=282

On slo-mo, the Niskanen hit looks dirty.  But when you look at it in real time, it doesn't look that bad to me.  It looks like it was just reactionary.  Niskanen went to make a hockey play and ended up hitting Sid in the head.  I don't think there was anything intentional there.

No Crosby, possibly no Sheary, no Murray, no Letang.  As much as you never want to see players get injured and you don't want injuries to determine the series, this is Washington's chance to step up and even the series.  Pittsburgh looked completely lost on the powerplay without Crosby.  Holtby also responded with a stellar game.

Must win Game 4 for my Blues tonight. Don't wanna go down 3-1, and we have to take at least one in Nashville if we want to win this Series. Hopefully the Blues show up and actually win some puck battles or we are toast. Nashville has been living inside the Blue Line this series and Allen hasn't had much of a chance on a lot of the goals he's given up.

Heres to hoping Jake Allen can play like this tonight:headspin:

45 minutes ago, Colt Cola said:

Must win Game 4 for my Blues tonight. Don't wanna go down 3-1, and we have to take at least one in Nashville if we want to win this Series. Hopefully the Blues show up and actually win some puck battles or we are toast. Nashville has been living inside the Blue Line this series and Allen hasn't had much of a chance on a lot of the goals he's given up.

Heres to hoping Jake Allen can play like this tonight:headspin:

Blues Preds has been fun as heck to watch so far. Rooting for the blues tonight to even it up. Vladdy Tarsenko is one my favourites in the league. Nashville seems to have found that spark and are killin it in the playoffs right now. Gonna need good Allen tonight.

• Like 1