Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hockey fans?


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

On slo-mo, the Niskanen hit looks dirty.  But when you look at it in real time, it doesn't look that bad to me.  It looks like it was just reactionary.  Niskanen went to make a hockey play and ended up hitting Sid in the head.  I don't think there was anything intentional there.

 

No Crosby, possibly no Sheary, no Murray, no Letang.  As much as you never want to see players get injured and you don't want injuries to determine the series, this is Washington's chance to step up and even the series.  Pittsburgh looked completely lost on the powerplay without Crosby.  Holtby also responded with a stellar game.

I really hope Crosby is okay after that. I want Washington to beat them at full strength, but also because concussions are no joke.

 

but yeah if he doesn't play, there is no reason Washington shouldn't come home with this series tied at 2-2. I feel the caps have done well limiting Pittsburgh's opportunities, but the few chances the pens do get turn out to be grade A opportunities, so gonna need to do some cleaning up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/2/2017 at 10:28 AM, 21isSuperman said:

On slo-mo, the Niskanen hit looks dirty.  But when you look at it in real time, it doesn't look that bad to me.  It looks like it was just reactionary.  Niskanen went to make a hockey play and ended up hitting Sid in the head.  I don't think there was anything intentional there.

 

No Crosby, possibly no Sheary, no Murray, no Letang.  As much as you never want to see players get injured and you don't want injuries to determine the series, this is Washington's chance to step up and even the series.  Pittsburgh looked completely lost on the powerplay without Crosby.  Holtby also responded with a stellar game.

How is it possible to be both crushingly disappointed AND completely unsurprised at the same time?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

How is it possible to be both crushingly disappointed AND completely unsurprised at the same time?

 

I'm done with this series.  If they manage to take it to game 7 somehow, I'll watch.  But I won't be watching games 5 or 6, if it even goes to 6.  Take away their best player in Crosby, one of their top wingers in Sheary, their best defenseman in Letang, and their top goalie in Murray and the Caps still can't win.  With the exception of a few guys, like Tom Wilson and Justin Wiliams, they're playing passive hockey.  They look like they don't care.  Ovechkin's effort is on and off even though his legacy is on the line.  They make unnecessary passes when they have clear shooting lanes.  They can't clear the puck on a penalty kill.  They make no-look passes which just result in turnovers.  Fleury has been good, but he isn't playing out of this world.  Holtby has been uncharacteristically loose.  It's awful.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I'm done with this series.  If they manage to take it to game 7 somehow, I'll watch.  But I won't be watching games 5 or 6, if it even goes to 6.  Take away their best player in Crosby, one of their top wingers in Sheary, their best defenseman in Letang, and their top goalie in Murray and the Caps still can't win.  With the exception of a few guys, like Tom Wilson and Justin Wiliams, they're playing passive hockey.  They look like they don't care.  Ovechkin's effort is on and off even though his legacy is on the line.  They make unnecessary passes when they have clear shooting lanes.  They can't clear the puck on a penalty kill.  They make no-look passes which just result in turnovers.  Fleury has been good, but he isn't playing out of this world.  Holtby has been uncharacteristically loose.  It's awful.

I'll still watch, but only because I've already invested so much time into this team that one more loss really won't sting all that bad (I'm saying that now but I guarantee you when it comes my reaction will be exponentially different haha).

 

You can't even say that the Capitals are playing better than the Pens anymore. I know we're getting more shots and more opportunities (lately, it seems Pittsburgh has barely even been able to touch the puck), but the few chances the Pens do get are grade A scoring chances.

 

The big difference in this series is finishing. Their guys, like Kessel, Guentzel, Schultz, Hornqvist and Malkin are finishing their opportunities. Our guys, like Eller, Kuzy, Carlson, and ESPECIALLY Burakovsky just keep missing the net or shanking the shot. 

 

Also what the heck was Trotz thinking, putting our two SLOWEST defenders (27 and 44) out at the same time against the Hornqvist line? Instantly burned for a goal against. Trotz needs to do a better job. 

 

And while I think it's unwise to put all the blame on Ovi (he's got like 4 points in 4 games it's not like he HASN'T shown up), he arguably had his worst/least impactful game in the biggest game of the season. You just can't have that.

 

Just sad. I hope they turn it around. Hey, after all our blown 3-1 leads, it'd be pretty sick to see the Caps dish one back, and to Pittsburgh no less haha
 

But I got zero confidence. Nothing I've seen in the past decade will make me think they'll get outta this. And yet I'll still stick around to see if they do......

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

I'll still watch, but only because I've already invested so much time into this team that one more loss really won't sting all that bad (I'm saying that now but I guarantee you when it comes my reaction will be exponentially different haha).

 

You can't even say that the Capitals are playing better than the Pens anymore. I know we're getting more shots and more opportunities (lately, it seems Pittsburgh has barely even been able to touch the puck), but the few chances the Pens do get are grade A scoring chances.

 

The big difference in this series is finishing. Their guys, like Kessel, Guentzel, Schultz, Hornqvist and Malkin are finishing their opportunities. Our guys, like Eller, Kuzy, Carlson, and ESPECIALLY Burakovsky just keep missing the net or shanking the shot. 

 

Also what the heck was Trotz thinking, putting our two SLOWEST defenders (27 and 44) out at the same time against the Hornqvist line? Instantly burned for a goal against. Trotz needs to do a better job. 

 

And while I think it's unwise to put all the blame on Ovi (he's got like 4 points in 4 games it's not like he HASN'T shown up), he arguably had his worst/least impactful game in the biggest game of the season. You just can't have that.

 

Just sad. I hope they turn it around. Hey, after all our blown 3-1 leads, it'd be pretty sick to see the Caps dish one back, and to Pittsburgh no less haha
 

But I got zero confidence. Nothing I've seen in the past decade will make me think they'll get outta this. And yet I'll still stick around to see if they do......

Agree on everything!!

 

I'm surprised Orpik gets as much ice time as he does.  I like his leadership and everything, but he's 36.  The issue I have with Ovi is that he's nearly a point per game player in the playoffs.  Last I checked (which was a long time ago), it was something like 0.8 points per playoff game, which is incredible.  If he can do that while coasting half the time, imagine if he played with everything.

 

With all the 3-1 leads teams have blown recently, maybe there's hope?  Game 6 will be the toughest challenge.  They have game 5 at home, so perhaps they can feed off of the crowd's energy.  Game 6 on the road will be tough.  Then game 7 again at home.  I guess we'll see, but I'm not optimistic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My lord. That Ducks Oilers game was unreal. Maybe the best finish to a playoff game I've seen in years. 

 

Even though it's still 3-2, I have no idea how Edmonton recovers from that, especially the way the road teams have played in that series. Brutal loss. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah give credit to the Ducks but that was a complete collapse by the Oilers. How in the name of God do you allow three goals in the last three minutes of regulation? They would've had a 3-2 series lead heading back home. Instead, they're down 3-2. We'll see what the Oilers are made of Sunday night

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at thy game. I ended up going down to lower levels. I had upper section seats. The people supervising seats told us it's the guys that left lost for leaving. Great finish. It reminded me of the Colts vs Chiefs game. Getzy has been steeping up on the playoffs.

 

 

*

Link to post
Share on other sites

@21isSuperman Hype game. That third period was legit. Trotz said the Caps stars needed to step up, and down 2-1, Backstrom, Kuzy and Ovi with the goals. 

 

But now they got a massive challenge ahead in game 6 at PPG Paints Arena. The Caps were in this exact situation last year, and were unable to get the win. They need this one. It's not just their season that's on the line. This is perhaps the biggest game the franchise has played in since 1998, and definitely the biggest game of Alex Ovechkin's career. Losing is not an option. Lets see what they're made of. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oilers had an absolutely heartbreaking collapse.  Not only in game 5, but they were up 2-0 in game 4 and lost that one too.  It'll be interesting to see how they respond.  Also, goaltender interference doesn't make any sense to me anymore...regardless, up 3-0 with 5 mins left, there are 0 reasons why they should lose.  Hats off to Adam Larsson for playing 42+ mins in one game.  In the last couple of seasons, the Ducks have had 3-2 series leads and lost, so perhaps history repeats itself.

 

@NorthernBlue As for the Caps, game 6 is their biggest challenge.  On the road, series/season/legacy on the line.  I figured they would respond well in game 5.  I didn't watch the game, and I won't watch game 6 because of the history the Caps have of getting their fans' hopes up, only to crush them.  But if they can push it to 7, I'll watch that.  I'm not too confident they even make it there though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

So now we got 2 game sevens this round. Hopefully NYR pushes theirs to 7 as well. More game 7 = more fun.

 

@21isSuperman So you said you wouldn't watch games 5 and 6, right? And the Caps won..............................

 

 

 

Please don't watch game 7 haha

My buddy texted me after the first period of game 6 tonight and told me the Caps were doing well, so I watched the second and third periods and it was complete domination by the Caps, as the previous games should have been.  Tell you what, I'm going to skip the first period.  If the Caps are up by the 1st intermission, I won't watch the 2nd so they can continue winning.  If they are down, I'll watch.  Can't skip  game 7 haha, but it certainly helps the Caps that they have Mr. Game 7 on their squad

 

Oilers and Caps, two game 7s in one night.  Wednesday could be a really great night for me, or it could be absolutely awful.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Welp Congrats to the Preds, they are a lot better than their regular season record showed...

 

Solid season overall for my Blues, especially as bad as it looked around mid season.

 

Hoping the Capitals can finish off their great comeback so I can watch more of Oshie and Shatty, still love those 2.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2017 at 9:46 AM, Colt Cola said:

Welp Congrats to the Preds, they are a lot better than their regular season record showed...

 

Solid season overall for my Blues, especially as bad as it looked around mid season.

 

Hoping the Capitals can finish off their great comeback so I can watch more of Oshie and Shatty, still love those 2.

Boy I could say something mean as a Blackhawk and Colt Fan but I won't

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

@21isSuperman This one is gonna hurt for a long long time.............

Below is a collection of random thoughts I'm having after an upsetting evening of hockey...

 

Un-freakin'-believable.  Most important game in franchise history and they can't score a single goal.  If you told me Pittsburgh would miss Crosby and Sheary for a game, miss Murray for the whole series, and miss Letang for the whole series, I would have thought it'd be over in 5.  They showed absolutely no heart....what's up with Kuzy having a good laugh with Fleury when he's losing?  Shattenkirk was pretty bad too.  The only thing that's giving me any hope right now is I'm drawing comparisons to the 2005 and 2006 Colts.  The 2005 team was more talented, but it was the 2006 team that had to learn to play with heart to win it all.  The 2006 team got punched in the mouth all season by opposing running games, but showed some heart when it mattered most.  I'm just hoping the Caps can do the same thing.

 

I'm an Ovie fan, but it's largely his own fault that he hasn't advanced past the second round.  Barely plays defense.  Holtby wasn't the monster he usually is and it cost them a few times, but he wasn't the problem in game 7.  Absolutely unbelievable.  Part of me thinks they should blow it up.  They have too many guys who just coast, including Ovie.  Side note: I'd love to see Ovie in Edmonton.  A top line of Ovie/McDavid/Draisaitl would give teams nightmares.  I'm also hoping the Oilers can get Tom Wilson when his contract expires; there's a guy with some heart.

 

Leave it to the Capitals to give Mr. Game 7 his first ever game 7 loss...

 

Looking to the offseason, Orpik needs to go, but I don't know who would want to take him.  Shattenkirk is gone and I don't think Oshie returns either, which sucks because I really like Oshie.  Williams probably won't return either.  They need better character players.  They need guys who play every shift like its their last.  They have plenty of talent, but they don't have heart.  I'm still mad about the Filip Forsberg trade.

 

And to make things worse, the Oil lost tonight too.  Thankfully, the Oilers have a future.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pittsburgh has the heart of a champion. I wouldn't be surprised to see them repeat. On the West side, impressive by Anaheim. Down 2-0 in the series and they win four of five games to advance. I say the Penguins beat the Senators in 6 games and Predators beat the Ducks in 6 games. My Stanley Cup Finals prediction is Pittsburgh vs Nashville. That's definitely the matchup I want

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2017 at 11:59 AM, bababooey said:

Done til October. At least the Yankees are good again. So * off.

Dang. I was looking forward to a Caps Rangers ECF. Guess the hockey gods just hate us, eh?

 

Also, I know a lot of Rangers fans were looking forward to maybe getting Shatty in the off season........I would be hesitant if I were you guys. He's an unreal talent, but his comments breakdown day kinda rubbed me the wrong way. Didn't at all seem phased about what happened and was talking about how he's looking forward to the UFA process. Even straight up said he's intrigued by Vegas. Doesn't seem like a team player to me tbh. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Dang. I was looking forward to a Caps Rangers ECF. Guess the hockey gods just hate us, eh?

 

Also, I know a lot of Rangers fans were looking forward to maybe getting Shatty in the off season........I would be hesitant if I were you guys. He's an unreal talent, but his comments breakdown day kinda rubbed me the wrong way. Didn't at all seem phased about what happened and was talking about how he's looking forward to the UFA process. Even straight up said he's intrigued by Vegas. Doesn't seem like a team player to me tbh. 

I was looking forward to that too. I don't want shatty. Not for the price he commands. We will be in the same position w him in a few years that we are with girardi and staal now. Resigning Brendan smith and just letting the next youngsters come up like skjei did last year is more important. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2017 at 0:04 PM, 21isSuperman said:

Last night was the first time I watched Nashville play in the playoffs.  I really think they could go all the way.  They're such a solid team all around

This seems to be their year, still waiting on that Duck's meltdown. I'm mad that Ottawa is already up and we gave them two wins.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bababooey said:

This seems to be their year, still waiting on that Duck's meltdown. I'm mad that Ottawa is already up and we gave them two wins.

The Ducks are just such a solid team.  Getz is an absolute monster.  I have to say, I'm surprised Ottawa is where it is.  I didn't even think they'd make it out of the first round

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Luck is Good said:

Penguins just obliterated the Senators today by a score of 7-0. Holy crap. I think the Penguins will end that in Game 6. And I think the Predators will finish off the Ducks in Game 6 tomorrow night

Need penguins to win so I can feel better about the Rangers snatching defeat from the jaws of victory against Ottawa. Although Carl Hagelin is on my % list after saying Marc Andre Fleury is the best teammate he's ever had and it's not close.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bababooey said:

Need penguins to win so I can feel better about the Rangers snatching defeat from the jaws of victory against Ottawa. Although Carl Hagelin is on my % list after saying Marc Andre Fleury is the best teammate he's ever had and it's not close.

Yeah the Penguins will win. They're not gonna lose two in a row to the Senators

Link to post
Share on other sites

We were better than an Ottawa team that took Penguins to double OT in game 7 of the ECF. We gave them two wins after Pittsburgh took out Columbus AND Washington and got injured along the way. A trip to the SCF was handed to us on a silver platter and we blew it in 4 minutes over 2 games.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nashville and Pittsburgh....who ya got?!

 

Pittsburgh has the experience and they're hard to bet against, but Nashville has been proving everyone wrong this whole playoffs.  My head says Pittsburgh, my heart says Nashville.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Nashville and Pittsburgh....who ya got?!

 

Pittsburgh has the experience and they're hard to bet against, but Nashville has been proving everyone wrong this whole playoffs.  My head says Pittsburgh, my heart says Nashville.

I think it goes the distance. Both of these teams are so good and deserve to be where they are. Penguins have the best player in the world but the Predators just have a certain feel about them. Predators in 7 games

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Luck is Good said:

I think it goes the distance. Both of these teams are so good and deserve to be where they are. Penguins have the best player in the world but the Predators just have a certain feel about them. Predators in 7 games

I'd like to see Preds in 6 just so they can win on their home ice

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I'd like to see Preds in 6 just so they can win on their home ice

They beat St. Louis and Anaheim in 6 on home ice so it's possible. However, Pittsburgh is a completely different animal. Nashville will have to play outstanding hockey to win

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

They beat St. Louis and Anaheim in 6 on home ice so it's possible. However, Pittsburgh is a completely different animal. Nashville will have to play outstanding hockey to win

I agree.  Pittsburgh is so deep and so skilled.  But this is the same Nashville team that swept the Blackhawks, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them win the series either.  I love a good underdog story

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...