Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hockey fans?

8 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I am a big Blackhawks Fan but I didn't get to see any of the ASG 

Rangers here, I was out Saturday night so I just caught random skills stuff. Wish I caught Blink 182 last night but I was watching Royal Rumble. Loved seeing Beiber get checked into the boards Sat night.

4 hours ago, bababooey said:

Any hockey fans in Indiana (or wherever you live)? Wondering who you guys cheer for since the Red Wings, Blue Jackets, Blackhawks, Blues, and Preds are all decently close to Indiana. Anybody catch the ASG activities over the weekend?

Im a HUGE Capitals fan, and lemme tell ya, this time, it's gonna be our year haha

Nah but fr. How about that metro division though? Such a monster division. Right now Washington and Pittsburgh are killin it, but once Lundqvist gets his game back, Rangers will be right back in it. I'm not too inclined to trust CBJ though for some reason....

The skills competition kinda sucked. They got rid of the breakaway challenge which was beyond stupid. But the 3 on 3 tournament was pretty fun. Got off to a slow start but a great finish. I gotta say, the ASG has been better since they switched it to 3v3.

As a Canadian, I can attest that hockey is life. Oilers and Capitals are my teams.  This is the Caps' year.  It has to be.  I'm still angry with McPhee about his completely asinine Forsberg trade, but the Caps are stacked from top to bottom.  Last year, the Pens just caught fire at the right time, but this is the Caps' year.

All-Star weekend was fun.  I'm always amazed at how much control these guys have with a puck.  Throwing and basketball shooting I get because the ball is in your hands.  But in hockey, the puck is about 6 feet away from you and you control it with a stick, not with your hand.

If they gave McDavid the same start Larkin got, he would have broken the record.

I'm also of the opinion that hockey players are the toughest athletes in pro sports.

On 1/30/2017 at 10:38 PM, NorthernBlue said:

Im a HUGE Capitals fan, and lemme tell ya, this time, it's gonna be our year haha

Nah but fr. How about that metro division though? Such a monster division. Right now Washington and Pittsburgh are killin it, but once Lundqvist gets his game back, Rangers will be right back in it. I'm not too inclined to trust CBJ though for some reason....

The skills competition kinda sucked. They got rid of the breakaway challenge which was beyond stupid. But the 3 on 3 tournament was pretty fun. Got off to a slow start but a great finish. I gotta say, the ASG has been better since they switched it to 3v3.

OMG I hope so, I can't stand PITT and at least I have caps fans in my family that live in DC. When Stepan put that one past Holtby in overtime in game 7 two years ago it was INSANE. I had like 7 or 8 guys over that didn't want to watch at a loud, crowded bar so we just exploded. Can't believe we lost the game 7 to Tampa right after. Now we are a team with horrible defense. Our problem is we are so deep we are never at the bottom, getting that next McDavid, Matthews, Ovi, or Sid is not in our hands, but doesn't help when we are picking Dylan Mcilrath over Vlad Tarasenko.

I was out so I was watching the tv here or there for the skills stuff. Regular season OT is also better now that it's 3 on 3, we haven't gone to OT much this year but it gives you that rush that playoff hockey gives you. 

On 1/30/2017 at 10:44 PM, Boiler_Colt said:

Im from Indy and have been a huge Penguins fan my whole life. Born in 1985 so my earliest memories were the  Mario Lemiux Cup runs. The Hawks seem to be gaining popularity here, and while its nice that Indy's getting into hockey, I cant stand the Hawks :)

I hate the penguins but I love Hagelin so glad to see him raise the Cup, also Shawn Michaels is my favorite wrestler so the whole HBK line was great.

On 1/30/2017 at 10:44 PM, 21isSuperman said:

As a Canadian, I can attest that hockey is life. Oilers and Capitals are my teams.  This is the Caps' year.  It has to be.  I'm still angry with McPhee about his completely asinine Forsberg trade, but the Caps are stacked from top to bottom.  Last year, the Pens just caught fire at the right time, but this is the Caps' year.

You are pretty lucky to be a fan of both of them. I love the classic Rangers/Capitals series but sadly we need to retool our defense to be able to compete with them now. Luckily we have young forwards out the butt but I feel like in a few years when Girardi, Staal, Klein are gone, Skjei, Holden, and Clendening are vets with McDonagh, and Lundqvist is gone (and replaced with Igor Shestyorkin who is crushing the KHL at age 20). MAYBE we will be good again.

On 1/30/2017 at 10:49 PM, 21isSuperman said:

I'm also of the opinion that hockey players are the toughest athletes in pro sports.

Absolutely, crazy seeing guys get stitches and are back out there. Also, when the playoffs end you find out that your guy is playing with a broken foot for 3 weeks. I didn't like when they kept Zuccarello's injury a secret though, considering it was career ending and he couldn't speak for four days. If he's definitely not coming back for the playoffs then let us know.

On 1/30/2017 at 10:44 PM, 21isSuperman said:

I remember last year during the playoff run you and I were talking about that. Man, last year just felt like Washington's time. Even in game 6, down 3-0 on the road to even force OT was unbelievable. And that Jay Beagle diving save, man I just thought we were in for something special....

But for sure man. This time its DC's year haha. Ovi's gonna get his cup.

51 minutes ago, bababooey said:

OMG I hope so, I can't stand PITT and at least I have caps fans in my family that live in DC. When Stepan put that one past Holtby in overtime in game 7 two years ago it was INSANE. I had like 7 or 8 guys over that didn't want to watch at a loud, crowded bar so we just exploded. Can't believe we lost the game 7 to Tampa right after. Now we are a team with horrible defense. Our problem is we are so deep we are never at the bottom, getting that next McDavid, Matthews, Ovi, or Sid is not in our hands, but doesn't help when we are picking Dylan Mcilrath over Vlad Tarasenko.

I was out so I was watching the tv here or there for the skills stuff. Regular season OT is also better now that it's 3 on 3, we haven't gone to OT much this year but it gives you that rush that playoff hockey gives you. 

Dude I thought Washington had that series wrapped up man. Up 3-1, and Holtby playing the way he was. And they were up 1-0 with less than 2 to go in game 5. So close, yet so far.

As good as Washington is, the Rangers always match up well against them. Something about the Caps and speed teams always gets em. Especially with Orpik playing top defensive minutes haha. We got Orlov and Schmidt getting some more time though so that should help.

And as much as I despise the Rangers, hey at least we can agree that Pittsburgh is the worst haha!

52 minutes ago, bababooey said:

You are pretty lucky to be a fan of both of them. I love the classic Rangers/Capitals series but sadly we need to retool our defense to be able to compete with them now. Luckily we have young forwards out the butt but I feel like in a few years when Girardi, Staal, Klein are gone, Skjei, Holden, and Clendening are vets with McDonagh, and Lundqvist is gone (and replaced with Igor Shestyorkin who is crushing the KHL at age 20). MAYBE we will be good again.

Absolutely, crazy seeing guys get stitches and are back out there. Also, when the playoffs end you find out that your guy is playing with a broken foot for 3 weeks. I didn't like when they kept Zuccarello's injury a secret though, considering it was career ending and he couldn't speak for four days. If he's definitely not coming back for the playoffs then let us know.

I've liked the Rangers ever since they acquired Rick Nash.  I've wanted to see him win a ring for a long time.  And King Henrik is a gem, even if he's having a bad year.

5 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

I remember last year during the playoff run you and I were talking about that. Man, last year just felt like Washington's time. Even in game 6, down 3-0 on the road to even force OT was unbelievable. And that Jay Beagle diving save, man I just thought we were in for something special....

But for sure man. This time its DC's year haha. Ovi's gonna get his cup.

This is the year.  They're playing really well.  This is their time.  Ovi deserves a cup!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Dude I thought Washington had that series wrapped up man. Up 3-1, and Holtby playing the way he was. And they were up 1-0 with less than 2 to go in game 5. So close, yet so far.

As good as Washington is, the Rangers always match up well against them. Something about the Caps and speed teams always gets em. Especially with Orpik playing top defensive minutes haha. We got Orlov and Schmidt getting some more time though so that should help.

And as much as I despise the Rangers, hey at least we can agree that Pittsburgh is the worst haha!

OMG I was out at the bar for that one, 2 minutes left and then Kreider sends it into OT (with the kneeling fist bump celly) then McDonagh in overtime and just like that we are alive again! We came back from 3-1 against Pitt as well the year before, so I had no doubts! 

Last year when Ovi tied it up late in the 3rd against us, and then won it in OT I was fuming. Finally got us back, this is definitely their year.

3 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I've liked the Rangers ever since they acquired Rick Nash.  I've wanted to see him win a ring for a long time.  And King Henrik is a gem, even if he's having a bad year.

This is the year.  They're playing really well.  This is their time.  Ovi deserves a cup!

Yes, I absolutely love this core group of guys and I just want them to get ONE before this team is over with.

We lost Hagelin and Brassard who were huge for us, as well as other minor guys with big moments like Brian Boyle, Dom Moore, Marty St. Louis, and Brad Richards.

If Nash, Zuccarello, McDonagh, Stepan, Kreider, Girardi, Staal, and obviously Henrik can get just one, that would be right up there with the Colts in 06.

2 hours ago, bababooey said:

OMG I was out at the bar for that one, 2 minutes left and then Kreider sends it into OT (with the kneeling fist bump celly) then McDonagh in overtime and just like that we are alive again! We came back from 3-1 against Pitt as well the year before, so I had no doubts! 

Last year when Ovi tied it up late in the 3rd against us, and then won it in OT I was fuming. Finally got us back, this is definitely their year.

haha you trying to say that one win makes up for all our chokes? Might I remind you up three straight playoff runs ended in game seven heartbreak for us against you guys between 2012 and 2015. But I hope you're right about it being our time. Maybe next year, it'll be King Henrik's time?

1 minute ago, NorthernBlue said:

haha you trying to say that one win makes up for all our chokes? Might I remind you up three straight playoff runs ended in game seven heartbreak for us against you guys between 2012 and 2015. But I hope you're right about it being our time. Maybe next year, it'll be King Henrik's time?

Hey I was trying to make you feel a little bitter. I'll take that deal, you guys win this year for Ovi. Give us time to retool our defense, hopefully not lose much in the expansion draft, and give Henrik that deserved Cup.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2017 at 10:22 AM, bababooey said:

It's absurd how good the Metro is. Rangers would be a top team in any other division, but they are 4th!

I wish the Caps played Grubauer today instead of Holtby, so that we could get Braden vs Henrik tomorrow afternoon. Oh well. Should be a fun one. 

1 hour ago, bababooey said:

Caps will still win. Rangers suck against the metro.

We all know how teams are after the bye. Though they played well today, Washington still lost. And there's something about Matinees against the Rangers...

Actually, there's just something about the Rangers haha. These are always good games. Lets see how it goes.

On 2/18/2017 at 8:01 PM, NorthernBlue said:

We all know how teams are after the bye. Though they played well today, Washington still lost. And there's something about Matinees against the Rangers...

Actually, there's just something about the Rangers haha. These are always good games. Lets see how it goes.

Was a close one. Gotta see how they stack up w Holtby in against them. We've won 7 of 8, our problem is we have no OTL's. We have similar wins to you and Pitt but only one OTL. Very happy this game didn't go into OT

47 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Was a close one. Gotta see how they stack up w Holtby in against them. We've won 7 of 8, our problem is we have no OTL's. We have similar wins to you and Pitt but only one OTL. Very happy this game didn't go into OT

Yeah great game. Caps came out flat footed again in the first period. This is a key stretch in the season for us. Last year, they started coasting at a similar point in the year. Gotta avoid that.

Lundqvist was stellar this game (because of course he was). Made some key saves late. I think there's no doubt the Rangers are better than CBJ, and perhaps even Pittsburgh. But if I were you guys, I'd keep that 1st WC spot. Compared to the metro, the atlantic suuuuucks haha 

10 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Yeah great game. Caps came out flat footed again in the first period. This is a key stretch in the season for us. Last year, they started coasting at a similar point in the year. Gotta avoid that.

Lundqvist was stellar this game (because of course he was). Made some key saves late. I think there's no doubt the Rangers are better than CBJ, and perhaps even Pittsburgh. But if I were you guys, I'd keep that 1st WC spot. Compared to the metro, the atlantic suuuuucks haha 

Yea metro is so stacked but honestly I think we may face Pitt in the first round, I imagine beating CBJ in the final standings and after we beat them last week our first round opponent possibility shifted from Montreal to Pitt. I'd rather have to go through the big dogs than have a hollow trip to the ECF and think nothing is wrong with the team, because our defense is horrible. I wish we'd trade Grabner for some picks (and have someone rent from us for once as opposed to us w the trades for MSL, Yandle, Staal). Grabs has another full year at a cheap price but we can't protect him in the expansion draft and may lose him for nothing. Washington just didn't have Holtby or it would have been even closer. Pitt started gaining steam in January last year and after a 5-6 January for us we are now 7 of 8 with a one goal road loss to NYI on a stupid short handed goal in Feb. When is the trade deadline?

4 hours ago, bababooey said:

Yea metro is so stacked but honestly I think we may face Pitt in the first round, I imagine beating CBJ in the final standings and after we beat them last week our first round opponent possibility shifted from Montreal to Pitt. I'd rather have to go through the big dogs than have a hollow trip to the ECF and think nothing is wrong with the team, because our defense is horrible. I wish we'd trade Grabner for some picks (and have someone rent from us for once as opposed to us w the trades for MSL, Yandle, Staal). Grabs has another full year at a cheap price but we can't protect him in the expansion draft and may lose him for nothing. Washington just didn't have Holtby or it would have been even closer. Pitt started gaining steam in January last year and after a 5-6 January for us we are now 7 of 8 with a one goal road loss to NYI on a stupid short handed goal in Feb. When is the trade deadline?

If you got the 3 seed, you'd probably have to go through Pittsburgh and Washington to get to the ECF. The winner of the metro bracket is gonna be dog tired for the ECF or SCF, which is why being in the metro bracket is a huge disadvantage I think. Meanwhile, if you carry over to the atlantic,, you get a flawed Montreal team and some semblance of Ottawa, Toronto, Boston etc. Should win both those series'. That'll set your team up well and rested for whatever monster comes out of the metro, be it Pittsburgh, Washington or Columbus. That's why I think carrying over would be better than having the third or second seed.

Deadline is march 1st. I hope Washington stands pat. I like our team. The last few years we've been getting "depth" defensemen like Tim Gleason, and Mike Weber, who are obviously not very good, yet Barry Trotz kept insisting we play them over Orlov and Schmidt, who are way better.....  

15 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

If you got the 3 seed, you'd probably have to go through Pittsburgh and Washington to get to the ECF. The winner of the metro bracket is gonna be dog tired for the ECF or SCF, which is why being in the metro bracket is a huge disadvantage I think. Meanwhile, if you carry over to the atlantic,, you get a flawed Montreal team and some semblance of Ottawa, Toronto, Boston etc. Should win both those series'. That'll set your team up well and rested for whatever monster comes out of the metro, be it Pittsburgh, Washington or Columbus. That's why I think carrying over would be better than having the third or second seed.

Deadline is march 1st. I hope Washington stands pat. I like our team. The last few years we've been getting "depth" defensemen like Tim Gleason, and Mike Weber, who are obviously not very good, yet Barry Trotz kept insisting we play them over Orlov and Schmidt, who are way better.....  

Yea, for the short term you want the easiest path, like how the Pats get there every year by basically facing nobodies (thanks Trent Cole for breaking Carr's leg). In the longterm we have major things to address on our team and with the metro being as stacked as it is, we are better off getting our butt kicked by Pitt in the first round and having a longer offseason (we basically played 5 seasons in 4 years from 2012-2015). 

As long as Washington grabs the president's trophy and keeps home ice that would be huge for them. Standing pat would be good for them this year as the chemistry is there. The only reason I want us to deal Grabner is because of the expansion draft. Finally we have a cheap stud and I don't want to lose him for nothing since we don't have the room to protect him and he's not exempt. I'd rather get picks then sign Shattenkirk this offseason rather than any more rentals.

5 minutes ago, bababooey said:

This trade deadline is heating up! Bishop to the Kings was out of nowhere but gimme Shattenkirk to the Rangers! I know shipping out draft picks haven't worked at the deadline lately (Nash, MSL, Yandle, Staal) but it will this time!

Bishop to the Kings really surprised me.  I'd like Shattenkirk in Edmonton, but I don't see it happening.  Edmonton's biggest need is a reliable backup goalie.  Talbot has been a beast all season long and Edmonton has a chance to win a playoff series, but it looks like they'll make the playoffs for the first time in a decade only to get bounced in the first round because Talbot is exhausted

Just now, 21isSuperman said:

Bishop to the Kings really surprised me.  I'd like Shattenkirk in Edmonton, but I don't see it happening.  Edmonton's biggest need is a reliable backup goalie.  Talbot has been a beast all season long and Edmonton has a chance to win a playoff series, but it looks like they'll make the playoffs for the first time in a decade only to get bounced in the first round because Talbot is exhausted

Surprised me too especially with Quick back. Shattenkirk turned down Edmonton actually so it definitely won't happen. He reportedly turned down 7 yrs/42 million from the Lightning as well. NY is his top location as he is a local guy and we need him so badly on D and the PP.

I love Talbot so much, after he came in during Henrik's life threatening blood vessel injury he was lights out and won us the President's Trophy and he won the Stephen McDonald award. There were actually arguments on who to start in the playoffs. People were afraid because Henrik was rusty going into the playoffs so we should go with Talbot but it was because Talbot was so good in his absence (and Skapski going 2-0 IIRC) it allowed us to rest him more. You never know what will happen in the playoffs! The goalie market is pretty bad right now, especially with the expansion draft upon us and teams only able to protect one so who knows what will happen prior to Wednesday.

43 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Omg shattenkirk to washington

I don't even know what to say. Literally 24 hours ago if you told me they would even be in talks for Shattenkirk, I would say you're lying.

They got him. And they didn't even give up too much. 

Hey if the Caps win the cup this year, you guys can gladly have him in July haha

I really am starting to believe this is our year...