Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Demarcus Walker FSU Pass Rusher

Hadn't heard a lot of people talking about him on the forum.  Kid was plenty productive in 2016.  16 Sacks in the ACC

Dude is huge at 280, projected to be a 3-4 OLB.  Kind of a Mcphee type to me with a little more pass rush ability.

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/FloridaState_logo.gif

FloridaState_logo.gif Demarcus Walker, 3-4 OLB, Florida State 
Height: 6-3. Weight: 281. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.83. 
Projected Round (2017): 1-2.

1/14/17: Walker has had a phenomenal 2016 season that started with an electric opener of 4.5 sacks and two forced fumbles to help lead a huge Florida State comeback over Ole Miss. In 2016, he had 68 tackles with 16 sacks, 21.5 tackles for a loss, three forced fumbles and two passes batted. 

Walker was a pass-rushing force at the point of attack. For the NFL, his body type would fit best as a 3-4 outside linebacker, and he might want to trim down some weight for that role. A lot of his best pass rushing came from the inside at tackle in obvious passing situations, so he could be a designated pass-rusher in a 4-3 defense as well. 

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2017OLB3-4.php#IxzLxSo2ImkCF2Pp.99

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Hadn't heard a lot of people talking about him on the forum.  Kid was plenty productive in 2016.  16 Sacks in the ACC

Dude is huge at 280, projected to be a 3-4 OLB.  Kind of a Mcphee type to me with a little more pass rush ability.

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/FloridaState_logo.gif

FloridaState_logo.gif Demarcus Walker, 3-4 OLB, Florida State 
Height: 6-3. Weight: 281. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.83. 
Projected Round (2017): 1-2.

1/14/17: Walker has had a phenomenal 2016 season that started with an electric opener of 4.5 sacks and two forced fumbles to help lead a huge Florida State comeback over Ole Miss. In 2016, he had 68 tackles with 16 sacks, 21.5 tackles for a loss, three forced fumbles and two passes batted. 

Walker was a pass-rushing force at the point of attack. For the NFL, his body type would fit best as a 3-4 outside linebacker, and he might want to trim down some weight for that role. A lot of his best pass rushing came from the inside at tackle in obvious passing situations, so he could be a designated pass-rusher in a 4-3 defense as well. 

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2017OLB3-4.php#IxzLxSo2ImkCF2Pp.99

The underlined sentence above only reinforces my bias towards OLB hybrid types from FSU.  He'd be a risky selection but with a high ceiling no doubt. 

6 hours ago, Clem-Dog said:

The underlined sentence above only reinforces my bias towards OLB hybrid types from FSU.  He'd be a risky selection but with a high ceiling no doubt. 

This is ridiculous.  I figured some of you would come with the Bjoern Werner crap.

Do you not realize that Werner could not play in a 4-3 or a 3-4?  It's already been proven.  That was a Werner problem,  every athlete is his own man independent of schemes.  Just because one guy fails doesn't mean another guy is the same thing. 

3 hours ago, MPStack said:

Does FSU play a 3-4 base or 4-3? At 6-3 281lbs. sounds more like a DE in a 4-3. Will have to research this guy today. Pretty sure B. Werner was DE in a 4-3.  

Ridiculous.   What does Bjoern Werner have to do with another man?   Doesn't that mean you have to eliminate every single guy that ever played in a 4-3?

10 hours ago, krunk said:

I'm going to continue my research but he seems just as good as Barnett to me.  I think he could end up going higher than maybe some have projected. Could be wrong, but that's how I feel in my initial looks. 

Hes a guy ive kept my eye on all year long when watching Dalvin Cook, the guy ive probably followed the most.  Hes scheme versatile which is a big plus. I think he could work his way into a top 15 with a strong combine showing. Maybe better.  I like him more than Barnett anyway.

22 minutes ago, krunk said:

This is ridiculous.  I figured some of you would come with the Bjoern Werner crap.

Do you not realize that Werner could not play in a 4-3 or a 3-4?  It's already been proven.  That was a Werner problem,  every athlete is his own man independent of schemes.  Just because one guy fails doesn't mean another guy is the same thing. 

Actually the scouting report you posted raises the concern whether he could play in a 3-4 versus a 4-3.  At the end of the day there will be a player available with the 14th/15th pick who won't have any question marks.  Whether that player is a CB, S, OLB, RB, or D-lineman, we will have a chance to draft a sure thing.   

Just now, Clem-Dog said:

Actually the scouting report you posted raises the concern whether he could play in a 3-4 versus a 4-3.  At the end of the day there will be a player available with the 14th/15th pick who won't have any question marks.  Whether that player is a CB, S, OLB, RB, or D-lineman, we will have a chance to draft a sure thing.   

That was a previous scouting report.  The most recent report says the exact opposite.

2 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Hes a guy ive kept my eye on all year long when watching Dalvin Cook, the guy ive probably followed the most.  Hes scheme versatile which is a big plus. I think he could work his way into a top 15 with a strong combine showing. Maybe better.

I agree!  He seems dominant

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I agree!  He seems dominant

Im considering doing an in depth review of him when more film comes out, he may not be quick enough off the edge which is why he is projected as a 2nd. He wasnt particularly strong in run support if I recall, making him a Noah Spence type, but less athletic. The combine will be pivotal for Walker.

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

Im considering doing an in depth review of him when more film comes out, he may not be quick enough off the edge which is why he is projected as a 2nd. He wasnt particularly strong in run support if I recall, making him a Noah Spence type, but less athletic. The combine will be pivotal for Walker.

We'll see!  He seems fine in run support to me, but I need more study.  

Just now, krunk said:

That was a previous scouting report.  The most recent report says the exact opposite.

Well then he must have proven this report wrong.  I mean his production was off the charts so he's got that going for him.  

I know he will be much better than Werner, but the fact remains we have invested a couple of 1sts in both he and Hughes and have nothing to show for it.  Just a little gun-shy when I see this type of description.

1 minute ago, Clem-Dog said:

Well then he must have proven this report wrong.  I mean his production was off the charts so he's got that going for him.  

I know he will be much better than Werner, but the fact remains we have invested a couple of 1sts in both he and Hughes and have nothing to show for it.  Just a little gun-shy when I see this type of description.

Hughes was drafted by another coaching staff, but I get the outlook overall.  Each man is his own person though.  

18 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I had him in my last mock. I think he's underrated. Should have no problem playing in a 3-4. Weight won't matter too much. Pretty sure Justin Houston is the same weight or at least close.

Houston weights about 25lbs less than Walker does. I have no clue if there are any Edge defenders in the 280lb range. Walker does seem more like a 4-3 guy, but could be scheme versatile.

Yet another reason why I pay so little attention to Walter Football.....

COULD Walker play a 3-4 OLB?     Maybe.    

But everyone I read projects him as a DE,  not a linebacker.

Kiper: 10th DE.     McShay:    7th DE       CBS Sports:  8th DE

Always be careful who you read.    Everyone offers up info,  but not all info is created equal.     

Just my two cents and often not worth that much!   

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I had him in my last mock. I think he's underrated. Should have no problem playing in a 3-4. Weight won't matter too much. Pretty sure Justin Houston is the same weight or at least close.

Yeah 280 isn't that bad. Trent Cole played most of his career at about 270 or so. Walker is already built like a linebacker and most of the time we are in a nickel front any way. This guy clearly has more power than Werner.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Yeah 280 isn't that bad. Trent Cole played most of his career at about 270 or so. Walker is already built like a linebacker and most of the time we are in a nickel front any way. This guy clearly has more power than Werner.

And that 280 is probably exaggerated. He's probably closer to 265-270. 

On 1/14/2017 at 11:08 AM, krunk said:

We know you're always stuck with that same hang up every year

I assume you're responding to me,  though you're not linked to my post....

And I'm stuck with the same hang-up because fans are slow to learn.     It's like Lucy and Charlie Brown.    How many times does she have to pull the ball away from Charlie while he's trying to kick before Charlie wakes up and realizes he's being played.

How many times do people have to get things wrong from Walter Football, or, even worse, the mock simulated draft games, before they realize they're not getting good information?     

People are running full speed into a wall and not understanding why they keep coming away with a concussion....

On 1/14/2017 at 10:07 AM, MPStack said:

Houston weights about 25lbs less than Walker does. I have no clue if there are any Edge defenders in the 280lb range. Walker does seem more like a 4-3 guy, but could be scheme versatile.

Za'Darius Smith Ravens is 275lbs and I think they list Judon as OLB he's up around 275lbs too 

17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I assume you're responding to me,  though you're not linked to my post....

And I'm stuck with the same hang-up because fans are slow to learn.     It's like Lucy and Charlie Brown.    How many times does she have to pull the ball away from Charlie while he's trying to kick before Charlie wakes up and realizes he's being played.

How many times do people have to get things wrong from Walter Football, or, even worse, the mock simulated draft games, before they realize they're not getting good information?     

People are running full speed into a wall and not understanding why they keep coming away with a concussion....

What have we gotten wrong here NCF?  4-3 players can't play OLB is that what you're telling us?   That's what you're always stuck on but for I don't now umpteen years coaches have been doing it successfully.  How does that happen?   Can you explain?  I'm sure you'll try. Problem is you're kind of up and down on which 4-3 players you put that label on.  The ones you like you'll let em slip through the cracks and say "Oh I think he can do it" like you did with Kevin Dodd. 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

What have we gotten wrong here NCF?  4-3 players can't play OLB is that what you're telling us?   That's what you're always stuck on but for I don't now umpteen years coaches have been doing it successfully.  How does that happen?   Can you explain?  I'm sure you'll try. Problem is you're kind of up and down on which 4-3 players you put that label on.  The ones you like you'll let em slip through the cracks and say "Oh I think he can do it" like you did with Kevin Dodd. 

Well....    first, Krunk.....     I wasn't referring to you at all.      Sorry if you took it that way,  my bad.

I was referring to most of the younger posters here who are not as sophisticated as you are.

I'm well aware of that some 4-3 DE's can make the conversation to 3-4 OLB.      Just not all of them.    

When I try to post that a certain player may not be able to make the conversion,  it's typically based on what I read from websites that I trust.       The website may say the player projects as a 4-3 DE,  or it may say doesn't show enough flexibility to convert to 3-4 OLB.

That's why I'm up and down.     Because there isn't a hard and fast rule.     Isn't that a good thing?     Don't you want these thoughts on any given player on a case by case basis?       Isn't that a good thing?

It's why I may not like a certain corner, because they may have skills that are more suitable to playing zone rather than playing man-to-man.     Some posters see a number of interceptions and think the Colts have to get him.    Amerson,  the corner from NC State led the nation in interceptions his junior year.    People here screamed we have to trade for him.       His tape said zone.     He flamed out with the Redskins, but he's playing decently I think for Oakland.    But he's a zone guy.      Not a good fit for the Colts.

I also try not to play favorites.    I voice my opinion to steer clear of certain Stanford kids who I think are very nice college players but not great NFL prospects.

Hope these thoughts clear up any misconceptions....    if not,  if you have more questions....   please feel free to ask me.....    always!

Sorry for any confusion.....