Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The coaches have the ball.

bleevit

While I never have been a huge Grigson fan, I think possibly the job pressure has increased his motivation and he has put together a very respectable roster. Now it is time for the coaches to coach and turn this nice talent into a team nobody wants to play. I, for one, believe the bodies are there barring significant injuries (is that possible?), and the coaches can have some fun.

I think we improved coaching personnel but it remains to be seen if we've improved talent wise.  So many IFs and hopes guys pan out.  Hope the new coaches get more out of the same guys.

What I didn't like about Grigson is that it took him so long to get it through his head that the Oline should have been priority 1 since day 1.  

I remember listening to him being interviewed, and he was basically laughing that the fans had so much anguish over who was playing center or guard.  Like they were unimportant positions.

4 hours ago, BOTT said:

The offensive staff should have fun.......the defensive staff not so much.

I'd like to know why exaxctly you say that?

I personally think the Defense could be better that alot of people expect. And a big factor in that is the offense pulling it's weight and not leaving the defense out to dry. When our defense was on the field for practically 70% of games for over half the season, it's no wonder our numbers were as bad as they were. Opposing offenses got numerous opportunities and loads of time to wear our D down and rack up points and yards. All the while our offense is continuously going 3&out. Another thing is Ted and the defensive staff have really simplified things and removed alot of the grey out of things this year so guys should hopefully play faster and better understand what they are to do. And you take Greg Toler outta the secondary and add Henry Anderson back to the DL, thats a nice boost right there. Plus I think Mathis could be in store for a bigger season than people are expecting. Also our DL looks like it could be a real strength for this team, with alot of depth. That's big because that's where it all starts, the trenches. If you're good or even great there it goes a long ways in making your entire offense or defense good or even great. 

I think if we look at things in perspective there is plenty of reason for optimism with our defense. Are they gonna be fantastic or elitie? No, I'm sure there are gonna be deficiencies and some struggles. But I think we could be a defense that's in the top half of the league, meaning top 15 or so.

4 hours ago, weslo1812 said:

I personally think the Defense could be better that alot of people expect. And a big factor in that is the offense pulling it's weight and not leaving the defense out to dry. When our defense was on the field for practically 70% of games for over half the season, it's no wonder our numbers were as bad as they were. Opposing offenses got numerous opportunities and loads of time to wear our D down and rack up points and yards. All the while our offense is continuously going 3&out. Another thing is Ted and the defensive staff have really simplified things and removed alot of the grey out of things this year so guys should hopefully play faster and better understand what they are to do. And you take Greg Toler outta the secondary and add Henry Anderson back to the DL, thats a nice boost right there. Plus I think Mathis could be in store for a bigger season than people are expecting. Also our DL looks like it could be a real strength for this team, with alot of depth. That's big because that's where it all starts, the trenches. If you're good or even great there it goes a long ways in making your entire offense or defense good or even great. 

I think if we look at things in perspective there is plenty of reason for optimism with our defense. Are they gonna be fantastic or elitie? No, I'm sure there are gonna be deficiencies and some struggles. But I think we could be a defense that's in the top half of the league, meaning top 15 or so.

Is this saying that our defensive objective should be to achieve NFL mediocrity? I would hope that our coaches help our players learn to achieve more than their talent, alone, allows them to achieve. IMO, we have historically under-performed our talent level.

5 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Is this saying that our defensive objective should be to achieve NFL mediocrity? I would hope that our coaches help our players learn to achieve more than their talent, alone, allows them to achieve. IMO, we have historically under-performed our talent level.

I don't think he's saying that, I think he's saying we have the talent and now the coaching to be better. And it's a valid point that our offense put the defense in bad situations many times last year.   

I dont think i can agree with your last sentence.  We have never had a lot of talent on defense, except for maybe 05-07.   Certainly not the last four years.   

Its going ring to be very interesting to see the personality of the D this season under new coaching.  Can't wait!

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

I don't think he's saying that, I think he's saying we have the talent and now the coaching to be better. And it's a valid point that our offense put the defense in bad situations many times last year.   

I dont think i can agree with your last sentence.  We have never had a lot of talent on defense, except for maybe 05-07.   Certainly not the last four years.   

Its going ring to be very interesting to see the personality of the D this season under new coaching.  Can't wait!

Here's my point: It's really hard to tell when all we have to make judgements is actual performance. I think we might agree that the performance has not been what we had expected. It is easy to simply write off poor performance to lack of talent. But, I've seen too many examples of players in teams out-performing their (supposed) talent levels. What is it about the player-talent-coaching mix that allows really good performance to happen?

We'll see.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 11:16 AM, bleevit said:

While I never have been a huge Grigson fan, I think possibly the job pressure has increased his motivation and he has put together a very respectable roster. Now it is time for the coaches to coach and turn this nice talent into a team nobody wants to play. I, for one, believe the bodies are there barring significant injuries (is that possible?), and the coaches can have some fun.

Personally, I don' see the talent that you see in our roster. Especialy compared to our now much imroved divisioh rivals.

Also, We lack depth at the wr position. If we have significant injuries to T.Y, and/or Moncreif, Dorsett, we ma not have much fun on offense,

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Personally, I don' see the talent that you see in our roster. Especialy compared to our now much imroved divisioh rivals.

Also, We lack depth at the wr position. If we have significant injuries to T.Y, and/or Moncreif, Dorsett, we ma not have much fun on offense,

This is what i see too.  I'm also concerned about depth at WR.  Really on TY and Moncrief have experience. The rest really are question marks at this point.  Last year we seemed sobdeep.  Was it just AJ? Fleener boosted the wr corps too.

i'm optimistic, but i dont see the huge talent increase some here do.

we do have fresh faces and bodies, along with many coming off IR.

im gonna hope thats enuff.  But i still think we need another solid draft to fill some holes. 

18 hours ago, weslo1812 said:

Lack of talent.

4 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Losing one receiver wouldn't be that big of deal.

and really, you could be concerned about the lack of depth of any position group if a couple players get injured.

On 27/05/2016 at 8:25 AM, weslo1812 said:

When our defense was on the field for practically 70% of games for over half the season, it's no wonder our numbers were as bad as they were. 

Our time of possession stats don't back that up do they?

Weren't we at a similar time of possession level as the Broncos?

On 5/27/2016 at 6:55 PM, BOTT said:

Lack of talent.

Soooo...that automatically means the defense is gonna be a mess?!?! Just because the defense isn't the most talented doesn't guarantee it'll be a mess. And I think there is more talent on the D then people realize, but our previous defensive staff wasn't good at bringing that talent along and developing guys. But we'll see.

On 05/26/2016 at 11:32 AM, Smonroe said:

I think we improved coaching personnel but it remains to be seen if we've improved talent wise.  So many IFs and hopes guys pan out.  Hope the new coaches get more out of the same guys.

What I didn't like about Grigson is that it took him so long to get it through his head that the Oline should have been priority 1 since day 1.  

I remember listening to him being interviewed, and he was basically laughing that the fans had so much anguish over who was playing center or guard.  Like they were unimportant positions.

What I haven't liked is that it has taken Grigson so long to let the coaches run the team and not him. Still remains to be seen if he will keep his nose out of where it doesn't belong

On 05/27/2016 at 5:03 PM, LJpalmbeacher said:

And if we had drafted a wr this board would have exploded :)

3 hours ago, weslo1812 said:

Soooo...that automatically means the defense is gonna be a mess?!?! Just because the defense isn't the most talented doesn't guarantee it'll be a mess. And I think there is more talent on the D then people realize, but our previous defensive staff wasn't good at bringing that talent along and developing guys. But we'll see.

Soooo yea, a defense needs actual difference makers.  And where did I say it was going to be a mess?  It's just not going to very good.

On May 27, 2016 at 3:25 AM, weslo1812 said:

I personally think the Defense could be better that alot of people expect. And a big factor in that is the offense pulling it's weight and not leaving the defense out to dry. When our defense was on the field for practically 70% of games for over half the season, it's no wonder our numbers were as bad as they were. Opposing Another thing is Ted and the defensive staff have really simplified things and removed alot of the grey out of things this year so guys should hopefully play faster and better understand what they are to do. And you take Greg Toler outta the secondary and add Henry Anderson back to the DL, thats a nice boost right there. Plus I think Mathis could be in store for a bigger season than people are expecting. Also our DL looks like it could be a real strength for this team, with alot of depth. That's big because that's where it all starts, the trenches. If you're good or even great there it goes a long ways in making your entire offense or defense good or even great. 

Where did you come up with this?