Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dear Mr. Grigson, please sign the following...

LB - KJ Wright - We need a linebacker that can actually cover. Wright is one of the best in the business at covering TEs, and he's pretty solid at defending the run. D'Qwell wasn't a smart signing from the beginning and we should just cut our losses in the offseason. I feel that Wright may be expendable in Seattle with all the money they've already spent on defense, and Wilson's upcoming contract negotiations. 

OLB - Brandon Graham - I think this one actually has a good chance of happening. Graham is so criminally underrated it's not even funny. Philly already has Cole and Barwin, Graham is a former first round pick playing less than half the snaps, and Grigson has an affinity for Eagle players, so I think it's possible he gets brought in. I don't think Walden is terrible, but he's not anything more than a mediocre run defender on the edge. We could cut him in the offseason and not take much of a cap hit. Go into next year with Mathis, Graham, Werner and Newsome....I like it!

DT - Kenrick Ellis - I don't know if this would pan out, but he comes from the Dlinemen factory that is the New York Jets, and I think he could possibly play all along our three man front. Redding will likely retire and we're going to need to add someone to the rotation. He probably won't cost much so it'd be extremely low risk to add some depth.

CB - Antonio Cromartie - I would honestly say he is better than Patrick Peterson. The media wouldn't agree, but that's probably a good thing. Outside of the Denver game this year, he is one of the biggest reasons Arizona is sitting with the NFL's best record. He'll be 31 so I doubt he's extremely expensive, plus Butler and Gordy are FAs. We can move Toler to the slot where he belongs, and have the best corner tandem in the league. 

S - Will Hill - It's not gonna happen, but man would I love to see it. I'd rather have Hill, his child support payments, and his character concerns over Landry, his PEDs, and his missed tackles/blown coverages.

Build the Monster

I'd rather have Adrian Clayborn if he is healthy than Damon, Clayborn can play in multiple fronts along the D Line and became a serious playmaker against the run last year and his pass rush skills are pretty solid to

Really like the Brandon Graham idea

This won't happen. Grigson doesn't have that type of money. T.Y. Hilton, Dwayne Allen, Coby Fleener, and others are all do for new contracts. It's possible they'll extend Luck too.

Plus, you really don't want to build your team on FA's. What you want to do is what teams like the Seahawks do. Draft a core group of young guys on both sides of the ball, and then add FA's here and there after the off-season. Stability is key. You need guys that are going to be here for 5-66 years minimum, not a team with guys who will play 2-3 seasons and then be done.

We really need young LB's and safeties. It's really key to get a young ILB too because LB's are usually the signal callers on defense, so you don't want a guy who isn't going to be around long term.

The only FA I think we need, is a possible upgrade over Cherilus while we groom and eventual successor. Possibly a veteran RB if Bradshaw isn't back for another season.

LB - KJ Wright - We need a linebacker that can actually cover. Wright is one of the best in the business at covering TEs, and he's pretty solid at defending the run. D'Qwell wasn't a smart signing from the beginning and we should just cut our losses in the offseason. I feel that Wright may be expendable in Seattle with all the money they've already spent on defense, and Wilson's upcoming contract negotiations. 

OLB - Brandon Graham - I think this one actually has a good chance of happening. Graham is so criminally underrated it's not even funny. Philly already has Cole and Barwin, Graham is a former first round pick playing less than half the snaps, and Grigson has an affinity for Eagle players, so I think it's possible he gets brought in. I don't think Walden is terrible, but he's not anything more than a mediocre run defender on the edge. We could cut him in the offseason and not take much of a cap hit. Go into next year with Mathis, Graham, Werner and Newsome....I like it!

DT - Kenrick Ellis - I don't know if this would pan out, but he comes from the Dlinemen factory that is the New York Jets, and I think he could possibly play all along our three man front. Redding will likely retire and we're going to need to add someone to the rotation. He probably won't cost much so it'd be extremely low risk to add some depth.

CB - Antonio Cromartie - I would honestly say he is better than Patrick Peterson. The media wouldn't agree, but that's probably a good thing. Outside of the Denver game this year, he is one of the biggest reasons Arizona is sitting with the NFL's best record. He'll be 31 so I doubt he's extremely expensive, plus Butler and Gordy are FAs. We can move Toler to the slot where he belongs, and have the best corner tandem in the league. 

S - Will Hill - It's not gonna happen, but man would I love to see it. I'd rather have Hill, his child support payments, and his character concerns over Landry, his PEDs, and his missed tackles/blown coverages.

Build the Monster

This won't happen. Grigson doesn't have that type of money. T.Y. Hilton, Dwayne Allen, Coby Fleener, and others are all do for new contracts. It's possible they'll extend Luck too.

Plus, you really don't want to build your team on FA's. What you want to do is what teams like the Seahawks do. Draft a core group of young guys on both sides of the ball, and then add FA's here and there after the off-season. Stability is key. You need guys that are going to be here for 5-66 years minimum, not a team with guys who will play 2-3 seasons and then be done.

We really need young LB's and safeties. It's really key to get a young ILB too because LB's are usually the signal callers on defense, so you don't want a guy who isn't going to be around long term.

The only FA I think we need, is a possible upgrade over Cherilus while we groom and eventual successor. Possibly a veteran RB if Bradshaw isn't back for another season.

Will Hill - cheap

Kenrick Ellis - cheap

Brandon Graham - relatively cheap

Wright - 6M a year on a long term deal 

Cromartie - 7M a year at most

I don't see why you guys think it's out of the question to sign at least 3 of them. Plus you act like if you sign FAs you can't build through the draft. There is so much wrong with that kind of logic. Good teams explore all avenues to better their team. If it were as simple as fixing it in the draft there would be no holes on any team. The reason we play so poorly against quality teams has a lot to do with some of the bogus contracts we've given out to mediocre players. Just think, we could have had Sebastian Vollmer rather than Cherilus at about half the price and no ridiculous inflation on his contract. 

You lost all credibility with me when you said Cromartie is better than Peterson. There is a reason Cromartie hasn't been able to stick with a team. You will not get one scout or GM to agree with you on that statement.

He's not wrong. Peterson is hilariouly overrated. If any other corner gave up 13 TDs in less than 2 seasons, nobody would be calling him elite.

You lost all credibility with me when you said Cromartie is better than Peterson. There is a reason Cromartie hasn't been able to stick with a team. You will not get one scout or GM to agree with you on that statement.

Peterson is only considered elite because the media says so, and he says so. It doesn't make it true. Cromartie is on his third team in 9 years, that's not exactly a guy that can't 'stick with a team'. You go where the money is, and he had a down year last year with the Jets so they didn't care to bring him back. With Arizona he's been light years better than Peterson. 

Will Hill - cheap

Kenrick Ellis - cheap

Brandon Graham - relatively cheap

Wright - 6M a year on a long term deal 

Cromartie - 7M a year at most

I don't see why you guys think it's out of the question to sign at least 3 of them. Plus you act like if you sign FAs you can't build through the draft. There is so much wrong with that kind of logic. Good teams explore all avenues to better their team. If it were as simple as fixing it in the draft there would be no holes on any team. The reason we play so poorly against quality teams has a lot to do with some of the bogus contracts we've given out to mediocre players. Just think, we could have had Sebastian Vollmer rather than Cherilus at about half the price and no ridiculous inflation on his contract. 

So you want to give out more money to mediocre players for a slight upgrade to the team? It's not about fixing all the problems in the draft, but preparing for the future rather than thinking short term. Notice how the Broncos brought in Talib but also drafted Bradley Roby?

The reason we play poorly is because the team is full of holes after a major roster overhaul that we're still only 2 years removed from. Trying to "Band-Aid" the holes by signing some middle of the pack guys isn't smart.

Dear Mr. Grigson, please draft the following...

Round 2 Pick 5 (TENN): Danny Shelton, DT, Washington (A-)
Round 2 Pick 9 (ATL): T.J. Clemmings, OT, Pittsburgh (B+)
Round 3 Pick 5 (TENN): Nate Orchard, DE, Utah (A)
Round 3 Pick 9 (ATL): Duke Johnson, RB, Miami (Fla.) (A)
Round 3 Pick 18: Rashad Greene, WR, Florida State (A)
Round 4 Pick 18: Jordan Richards, SS, Stanford (A)
Round 5 Pick 18: Ladarius Gunter, CB, Miami (Fla.) (A)
Round 6 Pick 18: Quandre Diggs, CB, Texas (A-)
Round 6 Pick 23: Junior Sylvestre, OLB, Toledo (B)
Round 7 Pick 18: Trey DePriest, ILB, Alabama (B+)
Round 7 Pick 19: Kasen Williams, WR, Washington ©