Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Training Camp Thread 7/26

Dustin

I'd like to see Rainey shine here.. Coach said he has that burst he used to have... hope he maj=kes the team and can be our PR/KR save TY for WR...

My thoughts exactly took two punts back his rookie year in the pre season for Pitt before his legal issues. He can fly has experience as a PR and KR and can be scat back out of the back field one with real speed. I am pretty sure he is the all time leader in punt blocks for Florida too.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My observations today: moncrief might have forgotten to bring his hands today- lost count of the drops at 5. Allen looked like the beast of a tight end we were expecting before he got hurt last year. Fleenor laid a linebacker to the ground during 1 on 1 blocking drill. Freeman and Jackson both looked good in pass defense Run defense seems harder to evaluate when it's not full contact.

My observations today: moncrief might have forgotten to bring his hands today- lost count of the drops at 5. Allen looked like the beast of a tight end we were expecting before he got hurt last year. Fleenor laid a linebacker to the ground during 1 on 1 blocking drill. Freeman and Jackson both looked good in pass defense Run defense seems harder to evaluate when it's not full contact.

Great News about Fleener's Blocking

Did you get a $100 bill? haha

I agree Whalen has good hands but that doesn't mean Rainey or Moncrief or someone yet to be found doesn't have good hands and is a threat to take it the distance. Rainey has good hands lots of experience just not sure he makes the final 53.  I don't want someone back there that can't catch the ball but it would be nice to have the best of both worlds.

TY is the best could use him as a situational returner I guess but he is too important to stick back there all the time.

Good point but i still rather have rainey on the kr just cuz punt you dont have tht many returns anyway

Good point but i still rather have rainey on the kr just cuz punt you dont have tht many returns anyway

I for one hope we have a lot more punt returns than we do kick off returns that happens once a game and when a team scores on you. So are you saying you want us to get scored on a lot? Not sure I am following you logic.

Rainey is a very good PR he returned 2 for touchdowns in the preseason for Pittsburgh his rookie year. He returned punts in college and he happens to be very very fast some would say electric. In fact I just read in the stampede he looks electric this year.

It sounds like you really want Whalen to make the team and think being the PR would help his cause a lot. I agree it would but I would rather have the best PR back there possible. I really hope we don't have more KR's than PR's this year don't think that would be a good thing for our defense.  

I think Whalen is going to make the team regardless with Brazil gone who know's what Roger's is doing from one day to the next Whalen is steady. He may well end up being the PR but man it would be nice to have some electricity back there instead of a bathroom break. And no TY. we agree there right.

There is still along ways to go take a look at Rainey I know the two kick returns are on the internet I posted them a few weeks ago. I think you will like him. With Ballard down maybe he slides into the scat back/pr/kr role. Who knows we aren't even in full pads yet.

Rainey muffed 2 punts on like 3 or 4 attempts last year.

Rainey was called up off of the street.  He had not even been playing so of course there's going to be some mistakes. You have to give the man time to get back acclimated to the game. They had him returning punts and kicks the very same week he suited up.

I think Whalen is going to make the team regardless with Brazil gone who know's what Roger's is doing from one day to the next Whalen is steady. He may well end up being the PR but man it would be nice to have some electricity back there instead of a bathroom break. And no TY. we agree there right.

There is still along ways to go take a look at Rainey I know the two kick returns are on the internet I posted them a few weeks ago. I think you will like him. With Ballard down maybe he slides into the scat back/pr/kr role. Who knows we aren't even in full pads yet.

You guys kill me with how you downplay Griff Whalen's return game cause he's no Tavon Austin, Cordelle Patterson, Patrick Peterson, or Percy Harvin

Being flashy isn't always a good thing. Whalen is solid in the return game. We can always go back to the David Reed days if you guys want.

Sometimes fundamentals beat flashy, just look at the San Antonio Spurs. Boring to watch if you're into alley-oops and top flighty dunks but the most fundamentally sound team in the NBA

You guys kill me with how you downplay Griff Whalen's return game cause he's no Tavon Austin, Cordelle Patterson, Patrick Peterson, or Percy Harvin

Being flashy isn't always a good thing. Whalen is solid in the return game. We can always go back to the David Reed days if you guys want.

Sometimes fundamentals beat flashy, just look at the San Antonio Spurs. Boring to watch if you're into alley-oops and top flighty dunks but the most fundamentally sound team in the NBA.

It's not flash it is speed special teams scores are usually are huge in a football game. What is wrong with wanting a dangerous KR? No one said Whalen wasn't solid in the return game all 9 of his returns were solid.

Good to here something about another draft pick, would like to hear more on Jackson.  Believe Newsome had good day too.

Good to here something about another draft pick, would like to hear more on Jackson.  Believe Newsome had good day too.

He might be talking about Dqwell Jackson and not Andrew Jackson.  Maybe he'll clarify which one.....

Sometimes fundamentals beat flashy, just look at the San Antonio Spurs. Boring to watch if you're into alley-oops and top flighty dunks but the most fundamentally sound team in the NBA

I'm with you on this. The first thing I want our PR to do is - catch the ball! Whalen is sure handed and smart.

We've had slow returners who could catch before. People like Blair White, Troy Walters, and a list of others.  That's why we always sucked.  I like Griff, but more as a receiver.  Give me a guy who is fast and can catch!