Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The NEW Offense

TKnight24

I didn't see this as a Topic, only the New look Defense. So let's talk about the Offense. :thmup:

First off, I'd like to congratulate the Colts again for the Win on Sunday. It was a great game to watch.

Now, onto the real topic. I LOVE what Arians is doing with the Offense this year. I noticed that he uses Screen plays often and even threw in the trick play with the reverse play. I realized that they young guys were really "Liking" the plays Arians called. They were smiling and laughing, seemed like they were just enjoying themselves which is a good sign. I have a good feeling about our offense this year. We weren't that "Pass Happy" like people thought we'd be, there was some type of Balance.

What scares me about the Offense though & I noticed that a few of you have already talked about this, is that some of us feel like he's throwing out too many plays. Like he's giving Defenses a lot of film to watch on us coming into the Regular Season. Some of you may feel this way, some of you may not. That's just your standpoint on it though.

The play that stood out to me the most, was Luck's 23 yard Touchdown pass to Austin Collie. Now when you watch the play, you'll notice Luck's Decision making is Excellent. You'll see Moore (Think it was Moore, couldn't really see the Number) running to the Flats & he's WIDE OPEN but instead of checking it down, Luck scans the field and finds Collie in the Corner for 6. IMO, there's not too many Rookie QB's who would've/could've made that throw. I'm liking his decision making and smarts as a Rookie. This kid is definitely going places. But here's the play so you could see what I was talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_132846&feature=iv&src_vid=LBi11SVZXNM&v=2U_ocnQZW08

Sorry for the LONG Rant guys & I hope I haven't put you to sleep, but just let me know what you think.

:thanks::rantoff:

The key is execution. That's what was important when Peyton was here. I heard and read multiple times that Indy's offensive playbook wasn't anything massive, but it was all plays that they could execute properly. That way, Peyton could go up to the line, read the defense, and adjust to whatever he felt was best. Even if defenses knew what was coming, the Colts were so good at execution and knew how to do adjustments on the fly (such as running a route a little deeper or shorter) that it wouldn't matter. I'd rather have a smaller playbook with every play available at any time than a massive playbook where players don't know what to do on some of them.

The key is execution. That's what was important when Peyton was here. I heard and read multiple times that Indy's offensive playbook wasn't anything massive, but it was all plays that they could execute properly. That way, Peyton could go up to the line, read the defense, and adjust to whatever he felt was best. Even if defenses knew what was coming, the Colts were so good at execution and knew how to do adjustments on the fly (such as running a route a little deeper or shorter) that it wouldn't matter. I'd rather have a smaller playbook with every play available at any time than a massive playbook where players don't know what to do on some of them.

The players seemed to understand what was going on when we ran the plays

The players seemed to understand what was going on when we ran the plays

Exactly. So I don't think it's a big issue if he is showing a lot of plays. I don't think he is showing very much, but even if he is, I don't think it's a huge deal. Even if the defense recognizes the play, it's no good if they can't stop it.

Exactly. So I don't think it's a big issue if he is showing a lot of plays. I don't think he is showing very much, but even if he is, I don't think it's a huge deal. Even if the defense recognizes the play, it's no good if they can't stop it.

Yeah, I thought the same. But like I said, I was just saying how everyone thought he was showing too much. but with the way Luck is.... he could disguise a few plsys IMO

i do agree we probably showed a bit too much on both sides of the ball. but we need the players to buy in. and more importantly, the colts need to the fans to 'buy' in

at first i thought i was being cynical, but i don't think it is. after the rough off season, we all needed this. the colts couldn't afford to take a usual ho-hum preseason approach in every respect

It's not like teams don't already have film/data on Arians from his days in Pittsburgh..

Showing various plays works both ways. It gives teams a look at what the Colts will run, but it also gives them more things to prepare for. They will be running the same or a closely similar play out of multiple formations.

Yeah, I thought the same. But like I said, I was just saying how everyone thought he was showing too much. but with the way Luck is.... he could disguise a few plsys IMO

And Luck showed some real maturity when he played, especially when he looked off the safety on Collie's TD. So even if the defense knows what routes will be run, if the QB looks one way and causes the secondary to shift to that side, then quickly looks back and hits an open receiver, I'll take that all day

TK dont forget to mention that Luck also held by looking away from Collie which made him even that much more open:)

Yeah I saw that too. They ran a Cover 2 that play & Finnegan did a poor job at covering the Flats. Luck had the safety frozen on the hash marks, which just made for an easy throw to collie who ran a beautiful route

A breakdown of Roethlisberger's pass plays from last season.

You will have to click to enlarge.

roethlisbergerpassing.jpg

It is based on defining a pass play as the sum of sacks and pass attempts. It's not 100% accurate due to the small % of plays that start out as a pass and the QB is flushed from the pocket and gains yardage.

It could turn out to be an example of what to expect. Although with 2 talented tight ends I believe that portion will have a significant shift upward.

Players always seem happy and jolly when they're winning, we'll see how they are when they play a good defense like the steelers.. they have a good roster so we'll see how the offense and defense looks.

Yep. One hurdle at a time. Just keep getting better and stay healthy. That's what we should all want from the preseason.

The Lions were real happy when they went 4-0 once...

I didn't see this as a Topic, only the New look Defense. So let's talk about the Offense. :thmup:

First off, I'd like to congratulate the Colts again for the Win on Sunday. It was a great game to watch.

Now, onto the real topic. I LOVE what Arians is doing with the Offense this year. I noticed that he uses Screen plays often and even threw in the trick play with the reverse play. I realized that they young guys were really "Liking" the plays Arians called. They were smiling and laughing, seemed like they were just enjoying themselves which is a good sign. I have a good feeling about our offense this year. We weren't that "Pass Happy" like people thought we'd be, there was some type of Balance.

What scares me about the Offense though & I noticed that a few of you have already talked about this, is that some of us feel like he's throwing out too many plays. Like he's giving Defenses a lot of film to watch on us coming into the Regular Season. Some of you may feel this way, some of you may not. That's just your standpoint on it though.

The play that stood out to me the most, was Luck's 23 yard Touchdown pass to Austin Collie. Now when you watch the play, you'll notice Luck's Decision making is Excellent. You'll see Moore (Think it was Moore, couldn't really see the Number) running to the Flats & he's WIDE OPEN but instead of checking it down, Luck scans the field and finds Collie in the Corner for 6. IMO, there's not too many Rookie QB's who would've/could've made that throw. I'm liking his decision making and smarts as a Rookie. This kid is definitely going places. But here's the play so you could see what I was talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_132846&feature=iv&src_vid=LBi11SVZXNM&v=2U_ocnQZW08

Sorry for the LONG Rant guys & I hope I haven't put you to sleep, but just let me know what you think.

Good play to bring up. Arians ran Reggie over the middle and Luck followed him leaving the safety froze in his tracks.

The corner released Collie kinda deep leaving 26 Moore wide open for at least a 15 yarder but with the no mans land Safety, Luck TD`d Collie. Smooth!

Fisher mentioned wanting to run lots of different plays as to getting them on tape. Arians did run a lot too.

Some complained our line didn`t block at all well. Having watched the 1st half in slow mo several times, I would say of course the Rams D got into us a few times, but there were several of those where Brown or the H didn`t pick up, or the timing was off just a tad. Things they want to tighten up on, right?

And ya know, sometimes these great athletes on Defense just make some nice plays too. We got the QB that is ready for them. EXCELLENT pocket precense.

Rant, and I raise you a rant. :panic:

Yep. One hurdle at a time. Just keep getting better and stay healthy. That's what we should all want from the preseason.

The Lions were real happy when they went 4-0 once...

Kinda nice seeing a win finally in the preaseason, but i rather the wins in the reg season... hopefully the starters are as good as advertised during the first few series come the reg season.

And Luck showed some real maturity when he played, especially when he looked off the safety on Collie's TD. So even if the defense knows what routes will be run, if the QB looks one way and causes the secondary to shift to that side, then quickly looks back and hits an open receiver, I'll take that all day

Safety was froze in no mans land. Our speed and route running plus just a little time = Andrew slicing & dicing.

The right side of the O-Line may keep us nervous, but gee wizz we had little $$$ to spend. PS, I thought Ijalana showed great promise for RT. A shame.

Safety was froze in no mans land. Our speed and route running plus just a little time = Andrew slicing & dicing.

The right side of the O-Line may keep us nervous, but gee wizz we had little $$$ to spend. PS, I thought Ijalana showed great promise for RT. A shame.

Personally, I think he could be a better LT than Castonzo. I think he'll get another shot if he is given enough time to heal from this injury. I have a feeling they rushed him back from his last one and that's why it tore again

The Qb's looked great. But, if you look at this video, the offensive line looked like beasts. That is what is going to win us games this year. They looked super good considering what they looked like last year.

Winston Justice got beat BAD on at least one play; he gave up the pressure and got called for holding. One or the other, big fella. But I don't remember thinking that the right side of the line did any worse than the left side, overall. I actually thought the right side was better in pass protection in the first half.

The Qb's looked great. But, if you look at this video, the offensive line looked like beasts. That is what is going to win us games this year. They looked super good considering what they looked like last year.

I just hope the line gets better and better, if the line gels quickly, I believe the sky will be the limit for this team in the coming years

It is based on defining a pass play as the sum of sacks and pass attempts. It's not 100% accurate due to the small % of plays that start out as a pass and the QB is flushed from the pocket and gains yardage.

It could turn out to be an example of what to expect. Although with 2 talented tight ends I believe that portion will have a significant shift upward.

Regardless if its 100% accurate what you see is sort of an ameba rather that take what the defense is giving you as Manning an Co. did maybe we dictate the pace? There are some intriguing peaces on Offense i think its going to be fun to see how creative it becomes? I know we'd all like to see a 3TE set with Carter to close out a game or maybe to open one? I remember a few yrs back NE came out max protect with Moss running go routes i know we don't have a Moss but we have some wr's that can beat you with route running or speed. I'm excited about this.

You guys are too worried about being secretive IMO. It's about execution. Plus coaches know to look at older Baltimore tapes for defense and Pittsburg for offense anyway. were running these plays now so we can execute when it counts. Too heck with what other coaches know or think they know, we need to be sharp running those plays.

If a coach is getting the feeling the other team has them figured out, he can take those percentages and flip them. If its %65 pass in one formation, use only the run plays for said formation, ect.

If a coach is getting the feeling the other team has them figured out, he can take those percentages and flip them. If its %65 pass in one formation, use only the run plays for said formation, ect.

That is true, but that type of % isn't what this shows... This has nothing to do with pass/run ratio. This is just 3/553 pass plays the Steelers ran with 3 running backs on the field. The data has nothing concerning the running game, but you are right if they have data that shows that out of a certain formation,location, package, etc, that they do something 85% of the time then they can attempt to counter that strategy.

Regardless if its 100% accurate what you see is sort of an ameba rather that take what the defense is giving you as Manning an Co. did maybe we dictate the pace? There are some intriguing peaces on Offense i think its going to be fun to see how creative it becomes? I know we'd all like to see a 3TE set with Carter to close out a game or maybe to open one? I remember a few yrs back NE came out max protect with Moss running go routes i know we don't have a Moss but we have some wr's that can beat you with route running or speed. I'm excited about this.

Historically Manning has dictated the pace. The team has options and it's up to the coaching staff to utilize those options.

The source I used for Roethlisberger only contains data for 2011. Manning obviously didn't have data for 2011, and using a different source for Manning seems to have some different classifications .

Manning did spend more time in the shotgun. 74.4%

It says he had No offensive motion 96.8% of the time but I find that hard to believe. The Colts use short motion with the receivers and slots quite frequently. They might define motion as a full shift from formation.

90.9% of the time there was one back.

73.7% of the time there was 1 TE(of course that varies from year to year.

71.1% of the time there was 3wr.

Personally, I think he could be a better LT than Castonzo. I think he'll get another shot if he is given enough time to heal from this injury. I have a feeling they rushed him back from his last one and that's why it tore again

he gonna be fine next year we can sign jake long with all the cap space and move costonzo to rt

Winston Justice got beat BAD on at least one play; he gave up the pressure and got called for holding. One or the other, big fella. But I don't remember thinking that the right side of the line did any worse than the left side, overall. I actually thought the right side was better in pass protection in the first half.

Don't be to mad about holding if u beat u better hold an lose one play than lose you qb to injury

I don't think it's a concern to show to much too soon.. gotta get out there and try out the plays, the more they run them, the better they execute...which is what it is all about.. tapes will be watched, they always are all season, but if they can confidently execute their plays and set the pace and have the ability to adjust quickly, then they can put a lot of points on the board! Looking forward to it.

I just say that you wanted some folks to comment on your post. Judging by some of the responses you did pretty darned well TKnight

You picked my favorite play of the game to discuss the offense. Austin ran a fantastic route, the blocking was solid.....and Luck did not 'eyeball' the receiver. Can I also say 'heckuva throw?'

I yhink it was important to run through the playbook for the young receivers. Some have discussed 'vanilla defenses.' The Rams starters were NOT vanilla. Where we did not give anything away was the running game....we will see delayed draws that set up play action....more trickery with end arounds, and more wrinkles including misdirection at the goal line with number 12 trotting in for an easy score. It will be fun to watch...we can attack in so many ways based on the defense. Please Andrew....keep sliding buddy! :)

and more wrinkles including misdirection at the goal line with number 12 trotting in for an easy score. It will be fun to watch...we can attack in so many ways based on the defense. Please Andrew....keep sliding buddy! :)

yes i see the naked bootleg in our future. it won't be nearly as painful as watching manning do it

I just say that you wanted some folks to comment on your post. Judging by some of the responses you did pretty darned well TKnight

You picked my favorite play of the game to discuss the offense. Austin ran a fantastic route, the blocking was solid.....and Luck did not 'eyeball' the receiver. Can I also say 'heckuva throw?'

I yhink it was important to run through the playbook for the young receivers. Some have discussed 'vanilla defenses.' The Rams starters were NOT vanilla. Where we did not give anything away was the running game....we will see delayed draws that set up play action....more trickery with end arounds, and more wrinkles including misdirection at the goal line with number 12 trotting in for an easy score. It will be fun to watch...we can attack in so many ways based on the defense. Please Andrew....keep sliding buddy! :)

I just made the Topic cause we've been in such a rave about the defense, I though the Offense (Besides Luck lol) deserved some Spotlight at least lol