Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stanton A REAL Back Up QB

King Colt

With all the hoopla about #12 yesterday let's not forget Stanton looked able to move the team unlike a certain back up last year that no one wants to recall. With Luck being a rookie Stanton is critical in trying to keep the ship afloat this year. It was nice to see the third stringer from Northern Illinois (my alamater) in there looking good as well. Games are won by teams and there are more thant 22 players on a team.

Both backups played well. I feel both are huge upgrades over last year. However let's keep in mind it is only the first week of preseason -after all the great Curtis Painter (with Jim "blank stares" Caldwell as the QB coach) lit up Atlanta for 3 TDs in the Ravens-Falcons preseason opener.

He's getting better and better as the years go on.

He impressed me a lot in some of his games in Detroit. I thought he would be a solid backup. He's still young, maybe he can go to a team and compete for the starting spot in a couple of years.

I've got no dog in this fight.....

But there are several posters on this website who think Dan Orlovsky would have been a perfectly good back-up to Luck.

I suspect they're right. Seems decent enough. But, for whatever reason, it was decided to clean house at the QB position from last year. Perhaps it's the right call for everyone. Give both sides a clean break.

But, I like Stanton. I don't see him ever as a starting QB in the NFL. But, he can have a nice long career as a solid back-up. He showed well yesterday (as did Harnish) and I expect Stanton do be a good back-up to Luck. Maybe he'll be hear a few years.

Hope so. Might be a good fit for both the team and the player....