Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best WR of all time?

manning2dallas

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who do you guys believe is the best of all time at WR? My buddy and I have been debating for a while on this. I say Marvin Harrison but he is a total 49er homer and says Jerry Rice. Harrison is imo the most dominant to play. A lot of amazing WRs have played tho

I'm sorry to say it, but you come off sounding like a homer in this argument. Statistically, Jerry wins this debate hands down. Jerry is not only considered the greatest WR to ever play the game, NFL Network had him as their top player AT ANY POSITION to ever play the game. He was #1 in their top 100 of all time. I don't think Marvin even made the list (a HUGE mistake on their part).

A lot of people still think Chris Carter is up there as well, I believe marvin was the best receiver of the 2000's though, but I think that Rice is the best receiver of all time no matter what. He might have played with Montana and Young, but he didn't play in the nfl of today either.

Rice, Moss, TO, Hutson were all better. 5-10 gets tricker imo b/c of different eras and different offenses. Harrison was very good but not top 4. He's somewhere from 5-10. Looking ahead to 5 years, I think Fitz will take over the #2 or #3 spot.

Moss and TO are not better than Harrison.

Lol @ Marvin being the greatest.

I don't think Rice is #1. I believe that belongs to Hutson. Two completely diff eras of course, but no one lapped the competition like Hudson did. Example. One year Hutson had 72 rec 1200yds 17tds leading all the WR categories. In 2nd place was 27rec 500yds 8 tds.

I think the most talented WR of all time was Randy Moss. Had he had the drive that champions generally have(like Rice) there is no doubt in my mind he'd be #1. The two highest scoring Off of all time featured Randy Moss. Here was a guy who's pre game meal was a Mt Dew and Snickers bar. He was a guy who while everyone else was doing pre game warm ups and stretches said that he "woke up ready" and just went out there and did his thing. To me that speaks volumes about a players talent level (and character).

As for Marvin not being top 10, I also think that's fair. Although I'm not sure as to what my list would be. I also think itd be reasonable to put Larry Fitzgerald ahead of him on that list.

Marvin's playoff performances alone keep him off the top 5.

Let's be honest with ourselves for a second: If Marvin Harrison played with Montana and Young his stats would have been just as good as Rice's.

This might be the single funniest post I've seen since I've been here... and not in a good way.

Why? Because the QB Harrison had was terrible? Why because the offense that the Colts ran didn't emphasize the pass enough?

Please.... if you want to find someone who is not being honest with themselves, one need only look in the mirror.

Come on now....

This might be the single funniest post I've seen since I've been here... and not in a good way.

Why? Because the QB Harrison had was terrible? Why because the offense that the Colts ran didn't emphasize the pass enough?

Please.... if you want to find someone who is not being honest with themselves, one need only look in the mirror.

Come on now....

I don't think it was a post about the offenses ran. It was more about Marvin would have been more than capable of playing back when Jerry did.

Even though Marvin didn't play in the pass happy league.

I agree with IndyTrav, as much as I love Marvin he was pretty much a no-show in the playoffs. Compare that to someone like Rice who was an absolute monster in the playoffs. heck look at his stats in the SB alone. Rice played more games but here are the stats

Rice: 115 rec 2245 yds 22 tds (29 games)

Harrison: 65 rec 853 yds 2 tds (16 games)

Wayne: 83 rec 1128 yds 9 tds (17 games)

Even compared to Wayne...and Wayne had 1 reception for 1 yard in his last playoff game so you might as well make it 82 rec 1127 yds 9 tds in 16 games.

What makes it even worse is Harrison scored his 2 td's in the same game against the Broncos in 2003. That was his only 100+yard game in the playoffs as well. And if you guys recall, a large chunk was credited to the Broncos not touching him while he was down and him getting up and running for the score.

Still love marvin though, only Colts jersey I own :)

Let's be honest with ourselves for a second: If Marvin Harrison played with Montana and Young his stats would have been just as good as Rice's.

lmao Are you serious? First off, Rice is the best WR of all time. Harrison is second. They were completely different. Rice was tall and slower. Harrison was shorter and had blazing speed. Secondly, Peyton is my vote for the player that made the most impact on those around him, let's call it, all time league MVP.

I don't think it was a post about the offenses ran. It was more about Marvin would have been more than capable of playing back when Jerry did.

A lot of the wr playing now would dominate in the past. Sure DBs were more physical. The WR was allowed to be as well. You don't think these 6-3/6-5 230lb WR would be annihilating those DBs. You don't think players like TO or Calvin Johnson wouldn't just run over or shove down whoever was in front of them?

I agree with IndyTrav, as much as I love Marvin he was pretty much a no-show in the playoffs. Compare that to someone like Rice who was an absolute monster in the playoffs. heck look at his stats in the SB alone. Rice played more games but here are the stats

Rice: 115 rec 2245 yds 22 tds (29 games)

Harrison: 65 rec 853 yds 2 tds (16 games)

Wayne: 83 rec 1128 yds 9 tds (17 games)

Even compared to Wayne...and Wayne had 1 reception for 1 yard in his last playoff game so you might as well make it 82 rec 1127 yds 9 tds in 16 games.

What makes it even worse is Harrison scored his 2 td's in the same game against the Broncos in 2003. That was his only 100+yard game in the playoffs as well. And if you guys recall, a large chunk was credited to the Broncos not touching him while he was down and him getting up and running for the score.

Not to mention 7 rec 133yds and all of his TDs came in a single game. 58rec 720 0tds in 15games. Abysmal.

A lot of the wr playing now would dominate in the past. Sure DBs were more physical. The WR was allowed to be as well. You don't think these 6-3/6-5 230lb WR would be annihilating those DBs. You don't think players like TO or Calvin Johnson wouldn't just run over or shove down whoever was in front of them?

I didn't say that. Also I'm not saying Harrison is better than Rice. No one will match Rice EVER. Just saying Harrison is a clear cut number two.

Pass happy league or not, Marvin Harrison played in the same league that Jerry Rice played in. To suggest in any way, shape, or form, that Harrison would have Rice-like numbers if only he had had Montana and Young is simply ludicrous. It's laughable.

Harrison had Peyton Freaking Manning. People here will go to war if anyone even hints that they think that ANYONE is better than Peyton Manning. And someone thinks the only thing holding Marvin Harrison back from having better numbers is who he had at quarterback.

It's simply not credible. There's not an ounce of logic in it. And to post it here on a Colts fan board is beyond belief.

In an attempt to inflate Marvin Harrison, the poster has insulted Peyton Manning. That's how wrong-headed this was......

Hey, I've been posting on fan message boards since before 2000. I've made my fair share of posts that I've regretted. We all do. It's just human nature. I've had egg on my face or had to eat crow plenty. Comes with the territory.

But this one? This was a whopper!

Pass happy league or not, Marvin Harrison played in the same league that Jerry Rice played in. To suggest in any way, shape, or form, that Harrison would have Rice-like numbers if only he had had Montana and Young is simply ludicrous. It's laughable.

Harrison had Peyton Freaking Manning. People here will go to war if anyone even hints that they think that ANYONE is better than Peyton Manning. And someone thinks the only thing holding Marvin Harrison back from having better numbers is who he had at quarterback.

It's simply not credible. There's not an ounce of logic in it. And to post it here on a Colts fan board is beyond belief.

In an attempt to inflate Marvin Harrison, the poster has insulted Peyton Manning. That's how wrong-headed this was......

Hey, I've been posting on fan message boards since before 2000. I've made my fair share of posts that I've regretted. We all do. It's just human nature. I've had egg on my face or had to eat crow plenty. Comes with the territory.

This.

Infinite thumbs up to you sir

I didn't say that. Also I'm not saying Harrison is better than Rice. No one will match Rice EVER. Just saying Harrison is a clear cut number two.

Clear Cut?! Really?!

TO has more Yds and TDs, and All Pros and did it with 4 diff teams, about 6 diff HCs, and who knows how many OCs.....and that's just TO.

Clear Cut?! Really?!

TO has more Yds and TDs, and All Pros and did it with 4 diff teams, about 6 diff HCs, and who knows how many OCs.....and that's just TO.

Moss - 4.72rec/g 73.55yds/g .76TD/g 6 Pro-Bowls and 4 Allpros

TO - 4.92rec/g 72.76yds/g .7TD/s 6 Pro Bowls and 5 All Pros

Harrison - 5.8rec/g 76.74yds/g .67TDs/g 8 Pro Bowls and 3 All Pros

Moss and TO had longer careers. That's it.

I completely agree with this. This wouldn't have been said last year though. These days nothing surprises me.

That's my question too. In my opinion, Rice is the best WR of all time and Marvin is 2nd. I also believe that Marvin is the greatest route running in NFL history.

IMO these 5 are in front of Harrison:

1. Rice -- we agree

2. Megatron -- Man is a monster and imagine what his numbers be if he had a Peyton or Brady throwing him the ball.

3. Lynn Swann -- Some of his catches were like OMG.. I think he gets little credit for his ability.

4. The Freak Randy Moss -- If he ever stayed motivated like Megatron does he be in the discussion for #1 overall.

5. Steve Smith -- Again he had crap QB's and the only threat and still made plays in TRIPLE coverage.

You can disagree but those 5 off the top of my head and Megatron keeps playing like he is he could be #1 if he ever gets a GOOD QB throwing to him!

I completely agree with this. This wouldn't have been said last year though. These days nothing surprises me.

Moss and TO also had inferior QB's for the most part. When Moss had a great QB and again was motivated he BROKE records...

Really? So since they were able to stay healthier than a person at the same position, who avoided contact, dropped down, and ran out if bounds, they should be looked at as lesser players?

You should list the teams those players played for. And the QBs getting them the ball as well. I'll start. Marvin. Peyton Manning, Jim harbaugh. Colts. Your turn.

Guys.... Jerry Rice is by far the greatest receiver of all time, no one else comes close. I love Marvin, but he's not even close to Jerry.

He's the greatest route runner, has the greatest hands, and is the greatest after the catch.

The debate is who's the 2nd best. I'd say Don Hutson, then Marvin Harrison.

1. Rice -- we agree

2. Megatron -- Man is a monster and imagine what his numbers be if he had a Peyton or Brady throwing him the ball.

3. Lynn Swann -- Some of his catches were like OMG.. I think he gets little credit for his ability.

4. The Freak Randy Moss -- If he ever stayed motivated like Megatron does he be in the discussion for #1 overall.

5. Steve Smith -- Again he had crap QB's and the only threat and still made plays in TRIPLE coverage.

You can disagree but those 5 off the top of my head and Megatron keeps playing like he is he could be #1 if he ever gets a GOOD QB throwing to him!

lynn swann?? he wasn't even the best receiver on his team....

He's the greatest route runner, has the greatest hands, and is the greatest after the catch.

The greatest HANDS??? I would disagree there he had stone hands when he heard footsteps.. (I mean how many drops did he have in the playoffs against the Pats alone when he heard Law coming.) Greatest hands ever? hmm hard say the Freak, Steve Smith, Megatron LOTS great hands heck Wes Welker make a claim on that list lol.

The greatest HANDS??? I would disagree there he had stone hands when he heard footsteps.. (I mean how many drops did he have in the playoffs against the Pats alone when he heard Law coming.) Greatest hands ever? hmm hard say the Freak, Steve Smith, Megatron LOTS great hands heck Wes Welker make a claim on that list lol.

Yes he had the greatest hands ever.

As much as I love Steve, the fact that you even compare him to Steve Smith is insulting. Smith is not even in the top 15, and Welker neither. Megatron isn't even close to the top and Swann isn't in the top 10.

My list (slight change to Harrison):

1 -- Jerry Rice

2 -- Don Hutson

3 -- Randy Moss

4 -- Marvin Harrison

5 -- TO / Michael Irvin

Don't think this is close... Jerry Rice is above and beyond everyone. He's the greatest player of all time.

I love the Colts with all my heart, but Marvin doesn't touch him... ever. I'd say that Randy is better than Marvin.

Peyton Manning was/is GREAT. AMAZING. We all understand that. But if you believe he was better than Joe Montana....well, then I suspect you didn't watch football in the 80's. Easily best QB of all time. Never seen a player as clutch as him who kept his cool in high-pressue situations as he did. Stepped up in the biggest games, when it mattered. 4-0 in SBs! That is ridiculous!

Manning was FANTASTIC, but Rice DEFINITELY had an advantage catching passes from Joe Montana....

jerry rice

randy moss

larry fitzgerald

steve smith

chris carter

tim brown

john stallworth

andre johnson

calvin johnson

james lofton

michael irvin

sterling sharp

qadry ismail

The names you in bold are not better than Harrison, and Ismail better than Harrison? That's the most preposterous thing I've read in a while.

Even though I didn't bold some others, I didn't bold some others, because that's arguable. I think he's #4

Yes he had the greatest hands ever.

As much as I love Steve, the fact that you even compare him to Steve Smith is insulting. Smith is not even in the top 15, and Welker neither. Megatron isn't even close to the top and Swann isn't in the top 10.

My list (slight change to Harrison):

1 -- Jerry Rice

2 -- Don Hutson

3 -- Randy Moss

4 -- Marvin Harrison

5 -- TO / Michael Irvin

Don't think this is close... Jerry Rice is above and beyond everyone. He's the greatest player of all time.

I love the Colts with all my heart, but Marvin doesn't touch him... ever. I'd say that Randy is better than Marvin.

Sorry we will have to DISAGREE on the BEST HANDS EVER for Harrison. Again man dropped a ton passes when he heard footsteps. I also was NOT comparing Welker in the top 10 ALL TIME I said was he could make a claim for the best hands (and I loled it :)

Swann my child hood Fav so sorta got glasses on for him so I will def relinquish that spot but anyone says smith isnt better than harrison a homer IMO. Look at the facts:

1. On terrible teams

2. Had TERRIBLE QB's

3. Was the ONLY threat on Offense

But yet still was effective every year... Harrison IMO is a product of Peyton, just like I think Welker is a product of Brady...

Sorry we will have to DISAGREE on the BEST HANDS EVER for Harrison. Again man dropped a ton passes when he heard footsteps. I also was NOT comparing Welker in the top 10 ALL TIME I said was he could make a claim for the best hands (and I loled it :)

Swann my child hood Fav so sorta got glasses on for him so I will def relinquish that spot but anyone says smith isnt better than harrison a homer IMO. Look at the facts:

1. On terrible teams

2. Had TERRIBLE QB's

3. Was the ONLY threat on Offense

But yet still was effective every year... Harrison IMO is a product of Peyton, just like I think Welker is a product of Brady...

You sir, deserve a :facepalm:

I don't even want to argue with you about this, because it's so obvious who the best is. Watch some highlights and grab a clue.

1. Rice -- we agree

Lolwut?

Really? So since they were able to stay healthier than a person at the same position, who avoided contact, dropped down, and ran out if bounds, they should be looked at as lesser players?

You should list the teams those players played for. And the QBs getting them the ball as well. I'll start. Marvin. Peyton Manning, Jim harbaugh. Colts. Your turn.

No, they aren't looked upon less because they can stay healthier. But when it came to a performance in games they played, Harrison produced more.

jerry rice

randy moss

larry fitzgerald

steve smith

chris carter

tim brown

john stallworth

andre johnson

calvin johnson

james lofton

michael irvin

sterling sharp

qadry ismail

QADRY? QADRY? You can't even be taken seriously.

Moss and TO also had inferior QB's for the most part. When Moss had a great QB and again was motivated he BROKE records...

Because Harrison doesn't have records?

1. Rice -- we agree

I think it's too early to put Megatron up there, but he certainly looks like he will be up there by the end of his career. Lynn Swann's catches were amazing, the man had hands made of glue and insane coordination. Randy's attitude knocks him down a bit for me. As for Steve Smith, I wouldn't consider him better than Marvin. He was more physical and didn't have at great QB, but I stll don't think he has done enough to be considered one of the best all time. Just my opinion.