Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

chase minnifield was released (merge)

CR91

We need value *this* year at our roster spots. If it can wait til next year, then we can get a healthy cornerback in the draft.

He won't use a roster spot, we won't be competing for anything, we need as much depth as possible at CB. We still will need to draft a CB, but I don't see why we wouldn't pick him up.

I liked Minnifield in the draft. Wouldn't mind grabbing him and storing him on the PUP, and then seeing if he'll make it back by Week 6. But the new roster rules count your PUP players against your 90 man roster, so it wouldn't really help that much. That's probably why Washington released him. Talented prospect, and if healthy would challenge for a roster spot and playing time. But he's not healthy, so I'll pass.

But Nobody brings up a good point. If he sits on IR this season, then next season he's like a draft pick. Like Kevin Thomas, who missed his rookie year but was a significant part of the rotation last season.

I don't think there are any rules that keep a team from claiming a player on waivers and stashing him on the IR. Isn't that what the Patriots did with Jake Ballard?

He won't use a roster spot, we won't be competing for anything, we need as much depth as possible at CB. We still will need to draft a CB, but I don't see why we wouldn't pick him up.

You've got a point there. I blew off the part about placing on IR, I only computed adding him to the roster, which didn't make sense. I guess I'm just tired of dealing with constantly injured players. Minnifield has been plagued with knee injuries for a while now. Picking him up and throwing him on IR wouldn't be terrible, but I also don't think it's any sort of loss if we don't. If this was Trumaine Johnson or Casey Hayward it might be different. He was an UDFA.

I'm indifferent I guess.

No effective difference in this case, is there? He's on waivers for a period of time, if anyone wants him they have to put in a claim, and the team with priority gets him, right?

Except that if you want to put him on IR, you have to waive him again and go through the same process, you can't just sign him and stash him on IR. That's why the Redskins waived him; they want to put him on IR but can't until after he clears waivers.

Except that if you want to put him on IR, you have to waive him again and go through the same process, you can't just sign him and stash him on IR. That's why the Redskins waived him; they want to put him on IR but can't until after he clears waivers.

This is what cost the Giants Jake Ballard.

So we'd have to carry him on the 90 man for how long before we could just place him directly on IR?

So you can't place a rookie on IR without him going thru waivers? Is that only because he's undrafted? Does that change once the season starts?

ARTICLE 29

WAIVERS

Section 1. Release:

(a) Whenever a player who has finished the season in which his fourth year of credited service has been earned under the Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle Plan is placed on waivers between February 1 and the trading deadline, his contract will be considered terminated and the player will be completely free at any time thereafter to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with such player, without penalty or restriction, including, but not limited to, Draft Choice Compensation between Clubs or First Refusal Rights of any kind, or any signing period. If the waivers occur after that time, the player's Player Con­tract will be subject to the waiver system and may be awarded to a claiming Club. However, if such player is claimed and awarded, he shall have the option to declare himself an Unrestricted Free Agent at the end of the League Year in question if he has a no-trade clause in his Player Contract. If such player does not have a no-trade clause and the Player Contract being awarded through waivers covers more than one additional season, the player shall have the right to declare himself an Unrestricted Free Agent as set forth above at the end of the League Year following the League Year in which he is waived and awarded.

(b) Whenever a player who has finished less than the season in which his fourth year of credited service has been earned under the Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle Plan is placed on waivers, the player's Player Contract will be subject to the waiver system and may be awarded to a claiming Club.

He uses a ton of zone coverage from the linbackers! we need 2 strong man coverage corners and only have one decent one.

They play a ton of zone coverages. More man than we're used to, but I'm pretty sure they play more zone than man. Including the corners. They play plenty of Cover 3 and Cover 6, and several combo coverages, both zone blitzes and zone/man hybrids.

Another thing: Kevin Thomas looked better in man coverage last season than he did in zone. I think he's a dark horse candidate in the secondary.

That doesn't say anything about placing a rookie on IR. I'm certain you can place a rookie on IR without him going through waivers. It happens all the time. We did it with Drake Nevis during the season. We did it with Kevin Thomas during training camp.

That doesn't say anything about placing a rookie on IR. I'm certain you can place a rookie on IR without him going through waivers. It happens all the time. We did it with Drake Nevis during the season. We did it with Kevin Thomas during training camp.

Then find me something otherwise because a rookie is "a player who has finished less than the season in which his fourth year of credited service has been earned under the Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle Plan". I'm not saying I'm right; I'm saying I can't find anything better.

Your position is that the Redskins want to keep him on IR, could keep him on IR, and that they decided to risk losing him even though they didn't have to?

you can place a rookie on ir after the initial cuts r done during training camp

Then find me something otherwise because a rookie is "a player who has finished less than the season in which his fourth year of credited service has been earned under the Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle Plan". I'm not saying I'm right; I'm saying I can't find anything better.

Your position is that the Redskins want to keep him on IR, could keep him on IR, and that they decided to risk losing him even though they didn't have to?

I'm not saying the Redskins want to keep him on IR. You said that. I could buy that if this is a Jake Ballard type situation. There's obviously some wrinkle to that situation, and I'm trying to figure out what it is.

But over the years, plenty of rookies and other players that haven't finished their fourth year are placed on IR without going through waivers. Both in the old CBA and in the new CBA; both during the preseason and during the regular season.

Here's what I've found so far:

http://www.nj.com/gi...ballard_of.html

New England, however, decided to take the risk and now that Ballard is a Patriot, New England will have to keep him on the roster through final cuts and into the regular season to avoid placing him back on waivers.

I believe that placing a player on IR during the offseason and preseason still counts him against your roster. So, in the case of Ballard, the Giants wanted to free up a roster spot, and that's why they waived him. They could have placed him on IR, and he would not have had to go through waivers, but he would have taken up a roster spot at least through final cuts.

So in Minnifield's case, if the Redskins do want him, they are willing to expose him to the waiver process in the hopes of reclaiming him and then stashing him on IR, without him taking up a spot on the 90 man roster. However, they could have simply placed him on IR and retained his rights without waiving him, but he would have taken up a roster spot.

This effectively means that we can't claim Minnifield and stash him on IR without having a spot on the 90 man roster reserved for him. Not until the season starts, at the soonest, can he go on IR and not count against our roster, which will be reduced to 53 at that point.

In short, this is all about the roster spot. You can IR him, but he'll take up a roster spot, at least through the preseason, maybe longer.

I would also like to know if this changed due to the new 90 man rule.

I'm not saying the Redskins want to keep him on IR. You said that.

I will say it, then. Our coaching staff LOVES this kid but the situation with his knee is very serious and he will not be ready to go this season. He was waived either because he had to be or because there is a significant advantage to doing so and then putting him on reserve. NFL rules on this kind of thing can be murky but I have complete faith that we aren't just letting this one get away.

Nothing but positives about Minnifield during Minicamp/OTAs (esp. from Raheem Morris) and then we waived him out of the blue while he took a trip down to Alabama (inferred visit to one Dr. James Andrews).

I will say it, then. Our coaching staff LOVES this kid but the situation with his knee is very serious and he will not be ready to go this season. He was waived either because he had to be or because there is a significant advantage to doing so and then putting him on reserve. NFL rules on this kind of thing can be murky but I have complete faith that we aren't just letting this one get away.

Nothing but positives about Minnifield during Minicamp/OTAs (esp. from Raheem Morris) and then we waived him out of the blue while he took a trip down to Alabama (inferred visit to one Dr. James Andrews).

So this is the Jake Ballard situation. Sounds like they can re-claim him if he clears waivers and stash him on IR without using a roster spot for him. But, he has to clear waivers. I question the judgment of any team that does this after what happened with Ballard. I really don't think teams should allow players to clear waivers in these situations just out of respect for an unwritten code.

But realistically speaking, with a rookie UDFA who hasn't shown his ability in games, it's not likely that any team is willing to dedicate a roster spot to him for an entire preseason. Minnifield isn't on Ballard's level at this point. You wouldn't do this with a drafted player or a proven vet.

Question for whoever knows, if we pick him up this year (Minnifield) and put him on the PUP or even IR if its that bad then does he count towards our final 53? I didnt think he would, in other words picking him up in my mind would make it possible to release one of these Corners that would never see the field anyway unless alot of injuries were to occur at Corner (Brandon King for example or Terrence Johsnon or Korey Lindsey ok I will stop now you get my point)and actually be able to pick up a player that was released who could help the team even more such as a Lito Shephard (if he is still a Free Agent)

So this is the Jake Ballard situation. Sounds like they can re-claim him if he clears waivers and stash him on IR without using a roster spot for him. But, he has to clear waivers. I question the judgment of any team that does this after what happened with Ballard. I really don't think teams should allow players to clear waivers in these situations just out of respect for an unwritten code.

But realistically speaking, with a rookie UDFA who hasn't shown his ability in games, it's not likely that any team is willing to dedicate a roster spot to him for an entire preseason. Minnifield isn't on Ballard's level at this point. You wouldn't do this with a drafted player or a proven vet.

Exactly. Minnifield went from being a second or third round prospect to a UDFA because of severe injury concerns, which means that all 32 teams were willing to pass on him 4 or more times apiece because they didn't trust his ability to recover. Now that his ability to recover is once again coming in to serious question what is there that would lead you to believe that 31 teams wouldn't pass on him once more?

After this recent turn of events, I honestly don't expect Minnifield to ever contribute meaningfully to the burgundy and gold because of that knee. However, if he does surprise everyone and get back to full strength for any appreciable amount of time, then he's a heck of a young asset to have.

Question for whoever knows, if we pick him up this year (Minnifield) and put him on the PUP or even IR if its that bad then does he count towards our final 53? I didnt think he would, in other words picking him up in my mind would make it possible to release one of these Corners that would never see the field anyway unless alot of injuries were to occur at Corner (Brandon King for example or Terrence Johsnon or Korey Lindsey ok I will stop now you get my point)and actually be able to pick up a player that was released who could help the team even more such as a Lito Shephard (if he is still a Free Agent)

I don't believe PUP or IR players count toward your final 53, but you don't have a final 53 until the preseason is over. In the meantime, said player would count against your 90 man roster, and your 75 man roster, leading up to final cut day.

Picking up Minnifield would require us to release another player, even if we intend to place Minnifield on IR or PUP.

If you want to pick up someone else, like Lito Sheppard (who I believe is still a free agent), you have to make room for him on the 90 man roster. You cannot make room on your roster by placing anyone on IR or PUP, not at this time of year. You have to waive him and then re-claim him, then put him on IR or PUP. That's the only way you can keep him without him counting against the 90 man roster.

The Redskins can re-claim Minnifield once he clears waivers, and then place him on IR or PUP.

Exactly. Minnifield went from being a second or third round prospect to a UDFA because of severe injury concerns, which means that all 32 teams were willing to pass on him 4 or more times apiece because they didn't trust his ability to recover. Now that his ability to recover is once again coming in to serious question what is there that would lead you to believe that 31 teams wouldn't pass on him once more?

After this recent turn of events, I honestly don't expect Minnifield to ever contribute meaningfully to the burgundy and gold because of that knee. However, if he does surprise everyone and get back to full strength for any appreciable amount of time, then he's a heck of a young asset to have.

I agree. He's not Ballard, a proven NFL contributor. He's a UDFA who hasn't been able to stay healthy through his first preseason. Much more valuable and easier to retain for the Redskins than anyone else.

However, the difference between not drafting him and not claiming him off of waivers is pretty obvious. You give up a draft spot for a guy that can't get through his first preseason, and you wasted a draft spot. If you claim him off waivers, and you make room for him by getting rid of a player who wasn't going to make your roster anyways. We can cut Brandon King and claim him, stash him, and then have an extra corner next year. I'm not interested in claiming him, but I did like him in the draft.

Thats what I was thinking release a player that likely wouldnt make the roster anyway at Corner such as Korey Lindsey while picking up Minnifield and Lito Sheppard one of them now and the other during the season