Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The backup QB readiness should never be about the primary QB, it is all about the coaching

chad72

QuizBoy,

I will tell you the same thought I said to Vance87. My #1 allegiance is to the Colts, but I know a talented team when I see it. The Houston Texans are overflowing with roster superstars. They will win the AFC South for the next 2 seasons. By year 3, the Colts will be back in Playoff contention, which means your Texans have a 2 year window to make their SB run IMO. I wish we had Wade Phillips as our DC. As a head coach, Wade sucks, but as a DC, he is brilliant!!!

Ha no he's ours. No one can have him. Ever. Lol he really has worked wonders for us. I can't wait for the Colts to get back into contentions, maybe we can make this a fair rivalry instead of a blowout wins-loss disadvantage. I don't want the Titans having the chance to get a wild card out of this division. Maybe once Locker takes over, they will regress, but then again, they might get better. Pagano's not a bad defensive mind to have governing your team. Just imagine if he had been here while Manning was as well...The prospect is just scary isn't it hahaha.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the fans wanted the head coach's head after 14-2, 10-6, and 2-14 seasons respectively. I don't think 26-22 is a record that should warrant someone getting fired. Kubiak, meanwhile, went 6-10, 8-8, 8-8, 9-7, 6-10, and 10-6. Of his six seasons, he's only had two winning ones. Chan Gailey has gone 4-12 and 6-10, the latter after a big start to the season. Strangely enough, these two coaches still have their jobs, though it is mainly because they improved this season. Caldwell couldn't have just a single bad year? Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but if you have a ten point lead in an NFL game, isn't it very common to run the ball? Passing only results in incompletions, as many are quick to point out, and the changing of possessions. Call me crazy, but I think running the ball is the right thing to do when you have a lead. As far as maintaining the lead, that falls directly on the defense. Especially when you are facing interception-prone Josh Freeman and the Buccaneers. A lead means nothing if you cannot keep it. Pagano will not be fired because of two things: Promise and Future. He is known for what he did in Baltimore, and I don't think Irsay would want to change one of the three-headed new starts in Indianapolis: Quarterback, Coach, and GM. Pagano has the promise of a bright future on his side, which, strangely enough, Caldwell would have had as well when Luck was inevitably drafted. And for some reason, I think a lot of Pagano doubters will sprout up if the Colts don't win at least four this year. And that is sad. The thing is that so many of the fans are so used to winning that they demand it, and, as Caldwell learned the hard way, losing games means that heads will roll. Pagano's going to have to keep his eyes open.

hi welcome to Indy, winning the regular season? been there, it's superbowls that matter. then when Manning got hurt it showed how little Caldwell knew about being a head couch. 14 - 0 you don't shut that team down.

hi welcome to Indy, winning the regular season? been there, it's superbowls that matter. then when Manning got hurt it showed how little Caldwell knew about being a head couch. 14 - 0 you don't shut that team down.

Many may not agree with the decision, but think about it this way: In the highly unlikely event that Manning got hurt against the Jets, the perfect season would not have mattered. Painter would have been your quarterback in the playoffs, and that would have been a complete disaster. Caldwell would have been criticized to no end, even though he still was when Manning was taken out of the game. I guess it was just a lose-lose situation for him.

Ha no he's ours. No one can have him. Ever. Lol he really has worked wonders for us. I can't wait for the Colts to get back into contentions, maybe we can make this a fair rivalry instead of a blowout wins-loss disadvantage. I don't want the Titans having the chance to get a wild card out of this division. Maybe once Locker takes over, they will regress, but then again, they might get better. Pagano's not a bad defensive mind to have governing your team. Just imagine if he had been here while Manning was as well...The prospect is just scary isn't it hahaha.

I remember Wade Phillips in Buffalo. The man was born to instruct, coach, & unleash Hades on defense. Funny, for such a soft spoken guy off the field, Wade knows how to flip the intimidation switch. Wade did wonders with Mario Williams last year & I love J.J. Wyatt, of course I'm spoiled; I saw him up close in action at UW-Madison. He will be a pass rush stud at DE for the 10-14 years easy.

Yes, Pagano is a keen defensive mind no doubt, but as a head coach now, he won't spend that much time on defense or as much time as he'd probably like to anyway.

My 3 top teams to watch right now are: Colts, Bengals, & Texans. Yes, I will still keep a curious eye on the Broncos too. The Lions are about to set the NFL on fire as well.

Lets hear some thoughts on this, what if Manning went down while Dungy was our Head Coach and we went 2-14 then? after all we didnt have much at backup quarterback then, all our coaches were along for the ride in my opinion and Peyton waiving off our Punt team in the '06 Divisional game is just one example that comes to mind

Lets hear some thoughts on this, what if Manning went down while Dungy was our Head Coach and we went 2-14 then? after all we didnt have much at backup quarterback then, all our coaches were along for the ride in my opinion and Peyton waiving off our Punt team in the '06 Divisional game is just one example that comes to mind

All heels would have broken loose. There would have been a media wildfire about whether Dungy should be fired or not, since he was so well respected already....And, he would have kept his job. That is, assuming that Manning had a chance of being healthy again rather than Irsay looking at Vince Young or Matt Leinart in the 2006 draft and wanting to start over lol.

All heels would have broken loose. There would have been a media wildfire about whether Dungy should be fired or not, since he was so well respected already....And, he would have kept his job. That is, assuming that Manning had a chance of being healthy again rather than Irsay looking at Vince Young or Matt Leinart in the 2006 draft and wanting to start over lol.

He would have kept Manning no doubt, Manning was in his prime then. Makes me wonder though sometimes.

Manning was younger, his contract situation was entirely different, and there were no quarterbacks on the horizon with Luck's pedigree or reputation. Maybe we would have drafted a potential replacement in a middle round, or spent more on a veteran backup, but Manning would have stayed around.

I agree with that, but I can blame Clyde and the rest of the coaches for continuing to run an offense designed for an NFL level quarterback. At one point, Painter's pass attempts were on a Manning-like pace.

Agree 100%, they tried to run an offense that was designed for one of the best in the league. Eventually they ran a simpler playbook, but often Painter was taking over 30 attempts, sometimes over 40. There should have been more run plays and no question less attempts. Painter should have been a "game managing" type of QB and probably not thrown the ball more than 20 times in any game. The Colts had 3 rbs, make them carry the workload.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember Wade Phillips in Buffalo. The man was born to instruct, coach, & unleash Hades on defense. Funny, for such a soft spoken guy off the field, Wade knows how to flip the intimidation switch. Wade did wonders with Mario Williams last year & I love J.J. Wyatt, of course I'm spoiled; I saw him up close in action at UW-Madison. He will be a pass rush stud at DE for the 10-14 years easy.

Yes, Pagano is a keen defensive mind no doubt, but as a head coach now, he won't spend that much time on defense or as much time as he'd probably like to anyway.

My 3 top teams to watch right now are: Colts, Bengals, & Texans. Yes, I will still keep a curious eye on the Broncos too. The Lions are about to set the NFL on fire as well.

The Lions are still immature. I know just about every team has had at least 1 or 2 players get arrested for something w/the exception of a couple teams. Lions will be fighting da Bears for the # 2 spot for the next few yrs. that being said I believe the NFC North will finish the same way this yr as last yr. W/Calvin's huge contract he will be expected to finish w/1200+ yrds & at least 15+ TDs this year

Ahh, yes the what if's.

I think last season has been misrepresented from here to the moon, by us, the media, and fans who have been victimized by #18 about as long as some of the younger posters on here have been alive.

Kerry Collins was not a potential fix.

That's true, he was old, he had no time to figure out what the offense was designed to do. He was making college style calls to get routs ran that he could read, (if he even could). It was ugly easy money.

Curtis Painter was exciting for 2 weeks.

That's true. He did have a few moments where at least he justified being drafted, and he did have a "sorta kinda" grasp on the playbook.The WR play looked somewhat more comfortable, that was the most obvious thing I can point out off the top of my head. Then he got to N.O. That's when I think the light switched. Jim Caldwell had no ability to save face, because he wasn't hired based on his leadership skills, (as far as I can tell that was 18's job). So, he stuck with Painter, for some reason?!

Danny O.

If Bill Polian wasn't shell shocked enough by the events that transpired last season, finding out that Orlovsky could actually play, probably made his firing more likely. To be fair, that shouldn't have been a very difficult assessment, if as the thread title indicates is true. He had started regular season games, and wasn't 40 coming out of retirement. He had poise in the pocket that Painter lost pretty quickly. Not to say the saints wouldn't have rattled him pretty bad, so on and so forth.. I thank him for beating the Texans, and getting Peyton fired up one last time for The Colts.

Summary..

I think the QB play that did happen is a better indicator of last season, than the QB play that didn't.

I think Polian got caught with his pants down.

Peyton isn't going to play forever ( :burnout:)

"We made" (homerism 101, Irsay made) a gamble, we'll see.

Just remember, the Colts play at 1 and the Broncos at 4 all season. It'll help. Most of us are going to watch both, and we all know it.

The Lions are still immature. I know just about every team has had at least 1 or 2 players get arrested for something w/the exception of a couple teams. Lions will be fighting da Bears for the # 2 spot for the next few yrs. that being said I believe the NFC North will finish the same way this yr as last yr. W/Calvin's huge contract he will be expected to finish w/1200+ yrds & at least 15+ TDs this year

Yes, I will admit that both the Lions and Bengals have a few players on each squad that cannot seem to avoid law breaking incidents. That's true. Legally, both the Lions and Bengals, get a bad rap because of a few repeat offenders and a lack of maturity as you suggest Vltrophy1. The toughest part for the Lions learning how to handle some success after decades of loosing. The Bears need to solidify the o-line to prevent Jay Cutler from getting crushed and sacked multiple times like an old German shepard's chew toy. The Packers need to protect "Discount Double Check's" blindside and get a reliable ground game going.

Don't dismiss the Lions. DC Gunther Cummingham knows how to apply QB pressure well. I remember him in KC quite well. Suh is working for reputation redemption too after the GB head stomp incident. I like HC Jim Schwartz's accountability, drive, and passion too. QB Matthew Stafford is no cream puff either; His shoulder injury notwithstanding.

Yes, I will admit that both the Lions and Bengals have a few players on each squad that cannot seem to avoid law breaking incidents. That's true. Legally, both the Lions and Bengals, get a bad rap because of a few repeat offenders and a lack of maturity as you suggest Vltrophy1. The toughest part for the Lions learning how to handle some success after decades of loosing. The Bears need to solidify the o-line to prevent Jay Cutler from getting crushed and sacked multiple times like an old German shepard's chew toy. The Packers need to protect "Discount Double Check's" blindside and get a reliable ground game going.

Don't dismiss the Lions. DC Gunther Cummingham knows how to apply QB pressure well. I remember him in KC quite well. Suh is working for reputation redemption too after the GB head stomp incident. I like HC Jim Schwartz's accountability, drive, and passion too. QB Matthew Stafford is no cream puff either; His shoulder injury notwithstanding.

I believe it was either the arm or crotch Suh stomped. But yes Stafford is a tough QB. & I believe the Bears O line will do a better job protecting but Jay also holds on to the ball too long. Rodgers learned that lesson his first yr as a starter. He got sacked about 45x that yr. it'll be interesting to see. I mean this in the nicest way for real. Thank you for Saturday. I was surprised the Colts let him go. You need a vet like him to help out Luck. Who's the C now?

I believe it was either the arm or crotch Suh stomped. But yes Stafford is a tough QB. & I believe the Bears O line will do a better job protecting but Jay also holds on to the ball too long. Rodgers learned that lesson his first yr as a starter. He got sacked about 45x that yr. it'll be interesting to see. I mean this in the nicest way for real. Thank you for Saturday. I was surprised the Colts let him go. You need a vet like him to help out Luck. Who's the C now?

A guy named Zane Taylor who went college at Utah. GM Ryan Grigson claimed off waivers from Philadelphia by the Colts on May 18, 2012.

I'm not happy about losing Jeff Saturday either. He's a great leader and awesome guy!!! #63 in Green and Gold is wrong on so many levels...Take good care of him okay.

I don't think we would have gone 2-14 then. Most of those years we had a very good running game we would depend on and you still Marvin Harrison to go to on the outside with Reggie Wayne and a healthy in the prime of his career Clark. I also think Jim Sorgi was a better QB than Painter was. The few times Sorgi got to play with the starters he looked halfway decent. Not great but decent. He knew what he was and what he wasn't. Also and maybe most importantly Dungy made adjustments where as it became painfully clear last year Caldwell didn't. Dungy would have changed the offense to fit what Sorgi did well which was dink and dunk and slowly move the ball down the field. The few times Sorgi played that's what the Colts did. They didn't try to runt he Peyton Manning offense like Caldwell had his coaches do. Keep in mind when Sorgi played with the starters he had a lead on a Broncos team that needed to win the game to get the playoffs before the rest of the starters were yanked and with the back ups beat the Cardinals starters and nearly beat a Titans team fighting for it's playoff lives.

Don't get me wrong I don't think Sorgi would have lead the Colts to a great season but I don't think they would have been the embarrassment they were last year either. I think the biggest thing we saw though was the teams Sorgi were on had better coaching and better talent than last year's team. That's why we blew everything up. Had it just been oh Peyton's hurt we would have retooled with Peyton but I think when Irsay saw just how much of a mess things were and realized that even Peyton Manning couldn't fix this mess he blew the whole thing up.

A guy named Zane Taylor who went college at Utah. GM Ryan Grigson claimed off waivers from Philadelphia by the Colts on May 18, 2012.

I'm not happy about losing Jeff Saturday either. He's a great leader and awesome guy!!! #63 in Green and Gold is wrong on so many levels...Take good care of him okay.

actually i believe Satele is the starting center