Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Progress for NFL moving back to LA.

bap1331

I live out here and what I'm hearing is they will need two teams. The reason is mostly some city or state laws that say for pollution or whatvever liberalist nonsense , the stadiu can only be used for football. Thus they will need double the action to be feasable.

Believe it when it happens. Not before or until. The NFL loves, Loves, LOVES to use the threat of a team relocating to Los Angeles as leverage in other cities. So, Minnesota, J'Ville, St. Louis, San Diego, and maybe others can all say..... "give us a new stadium, or remodel the one we have, do all that we ask, otherwise, we have to move to Los Angeles, because they're making us a great offer!"

The NFL has been doing that for nearly 20 years. And it's worked to perfection every time.

At some point, it maybe in everyone's interest for two teams to move, but again.... we're still a long, Long, LONG ways from that happening.

Here's just one story from an L.A. perspective....

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/nfl/post/_/id/836/goodell-shows-how-close-l-a-is-now

I live out here and what I'm hearing is they will need two teams. The reason is mostly some city or state laws that say for pollution or whatvever liberalist nonsense , the stadiu can only be used for football. Thus they will need double the action to be feasable.

Tim Leiweke from AEG is actually on record as saying that they would prefer one team.

It's in one of these interviews: http://search.espn.go.com/farmers-field/audio/7

Tim Leiweke from AEG is actually on record as saying that they would prefer one team.

It's in one of these interviews: http://search.espn.g...s-field/audio/7

I'm too lazy and not interested enough to listen to all that. I'm surprised that they prefer trying to make money with 10 dates per year in a new stadium. I have a young kid that is a personal trainer and also attends Long Beach State that atteneded a forum type session with one of the people putting the deal together as the speaker . He understood the guy to say they pretty much needed two teams as the stadium could not be used for anything other than pro football.

I'm too lazy and not interested enough to listen to all that. I'm surprised that they prefer trying to make money with 10 dates per year in a new stadium. I have a young kid that is a personal trainer and also attends Long Beach State that atteneded a forum type session with one of the people putting the deal together as the speaker . He understood the guy to say they pretty much needed two teams as the stadium could not be used for anything other than pro football.

The NFL and maybe even the city might prefer two teams. I originally thought everyone would be interested in two teams, as Farmers has bought naming rights that go up to $1 billion if there are two teams in the venue, compared with $700 million for one team.

I was surprised by Leiweke's comments. John Ireland asked him something to the effect of 'you guys can make this work with one team, but you would prefer two, right?', and Leiweke responded 'actually, we can make it work with two, but we would prefer one.' I figured it would be the opposite.

That might be because AEG wants an ownership stake in the team that moves, so they were looking for a more exclusive deal. And since AEG is doing a lot of the funding (assuming a downtown venue), I figured they'd be getting what they want, as opposed to the city and the NFL. Still a lot to figure out at this point, for sure.

The NFL and maybe even the city might prefer two teams. I originally thought everyone would be interested in two teams, as Farmers has bought naming rights that go up to $1 billion if there are two teams in the venue, compared with $700 million for one team.

I was surprised by Leiweke's comments. John Ireland asked him something to the effect of 'you guys can make this work with one team, but you would prefer two, right?', and Leiweke responded 'actually, we can make it work with two, but we would prefer one.' I figured it would be the opposite.

That might be because AEG wants an ownership stake in the team that moves, so they were looking for a more exclusive deal. And since AEG is doing a lot of the funding (assuming a downtown venue), I figured they'd be getting what they want, as opposed to the city and the NFL. Still a lot to figure out at this point, for sure.

Got ya. Also I'm sure there are ways to work around the environmental findings in Ca. I think what they found was that the area is not able to "sustain" (not the right word) capacity crowds for anything other than football. They could probably still book some other kinds of events into the stadium.

Got ya. Also I'm sure there are ways to work around the environmental findings in Ca. I think what they found was that the area is not able to "sustain" (not the right word) capacity crowds for anything other than football. They could probably still book some other kinds of events into the stadium.

I haven't given much attention to the results of the environmental study, but I think I heard someone say that, because of all the venues downtown, it would be hard to have more than two events in the area at once, if one was a football game. Makes sense, with 70,000 fans leaving a game being more than the total combined attendance at Staples, Nokia and the convention center. And if everyone knows that Sunday afternoon/evening is going to be the busy time down there, they can arrange for enough public transportation and law enforcement at that time. But if you have a football game, plus a concert at Nokia, plus a Laker/Clipper double-header, plus a car show at the convention center, downtown is completely gridlocked all day and night.

On the other hand, one big concert at the football stadium (or a political convention, like DNC/RNC), or something like that, would be fine on a summer evening. The 110 freeway needs updating, and more on ramps and off ramps in that area. This is a project that would probably cost a lot more money than anyone is willing to admit right now. But I think it would be a phenomenal achievement, with one or two teams.

How is a capacity crowd any different for football than it is for something else?

IMO, I think ever team should move back to where they were at the NFL-AFL merger.

.....but, but, but, but...............then you'd have two Browns.......and they would be in the same division and play each other twice a year. That would be confusing. Plus, one Browns is more than enough.

.....but, but, but, but...............then you'd have two Browns.......and they would be in the same division and play each other twice a year. That would be confusing. Plus, one Browns is more than enough.

Hahaha, if the NFL had two Browns, along with the Jaguars, we would be too similar to the NBA. Several teams that, year after year after year after year, no one ever expects to go to the playoffs lol. Bobcats, Bucks, Raptors...Lol. And if they played each other twice a year neither team would win, so that would cause even more chaos lol.

The bad teams can go to Canada. haha

How is a capacity crowd any different for football than it is for something else?

I don't know if I understand the point, but I thought it was comparing a capacity crowd at a football game to the other venues that are already down there. Staples holds 18,000, Nokia holds 7,000, the convention center might have a max capacity of 35,000 (not sure about that). If you have a concert, a Laker game, and the car show on the same Sunday night, you still don't have the attendance of one football game.