Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Have a laugh at the Jaguars

Jake1980

Anger also promised fans that, as their punter—and therefore the leader of the punt team—he would be the very model of a Jacksonville Jaguar, adding that they should "get used to me, because they're going to be hearing the name Bryan Anger all the time in years to come."

lol.....gotta love the onion. Surprisingly accurate with the bolded part.

haha The Onion is the best! Seriously though, a punter in the 3rd round?

With the increasing number of games decided by a field goal I'm surprised he didn't get drafted sooner. Just because a team swims against the tide doesn't mean they are wrong, just that they are trying hard to get better....and they need to get better in ALL areas.

With the increasing number of games decided by a field goal I'm surprised he didn't get drafted sooner. Just because a team swims against the tide doesn't mean they are wrong, just that they are trying hard to get better....and they need to get better in ALL areas.

In my opinion, it was way too early for a kicker to be taken. They probably could have gotten him in the later rounds and still got good talent for the other 3 downs on either side of the ball with the 3rd round pick

In my opinion, it was way too early for a kicker to be taken. They probably could have gotten him in the later rounds and still got good talent for the other 3 downs on either side of the ball with the 3rd round pick

Okay, I won't disagree with your logic but someone doing the picks is either forward thinking or wasn't thinking at all, only time will tell.

Well I certainly applaud the young mans confidence and enthusiasm. However the idea that he will " be the centerpiece " of the team and that we "will be seeing alot " of him isn't something to get excited over. IMO, if he is punting , then the offense obviously can't manage to get a first down, isn't scoring, and won't be winning many games. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys.

Well I certainly applaud the young mans confidence and enthusiasm. However the idea that he will " be the centerpiece " of the team and that we "will be seeing alot " of him isn't something to get excited over. IMO, if he is punting , then the offense obviously can't manage to get a first down, isn't scoring, and won't be winning many games. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys.

Its The Onion... :facepalm:

haha one of the two extremes, either forward thinking of not thinking at all.

The way I see it, why not use that 3rd round pick on a player that might be able to help the offense so that they don't need to punt so often?

lol.....you can always get a decent punter later in the draft or in FA....but in the 3rd round? There is no excuse for that. It was just flat-out stupid.

Coltman.......not sure if you are aware, but The Onion writes satire in near realistic manner. This article was meant to make fun, not be taken literally.

Coltman.......not sure if you are aware, but The Onion writes satire in near realistic manner. This article was meant to make fun, not be taken literally.

No wasn't aware of that, thanks for the update. :facepalm:. Hanging my head in embassment and stupidity. Slinging back to my room in shame for the night. :ashamed:

No wasn't aware of that, thanks for the update. :facepalm:. Hanging my head in embassment and stupidity. Slinging back to my room in shame for the night. :ashamed:

You are not alone in not realizing the Onion is satiric. People react the exact same way you did, thousands of times over.

I was guilty of this once years ago. Like.....I never heard of the onion before. I didn't know.

Older Colts fans may laugh a little louder at this - nervously - mostly thankful that it's not us. Does anyone remember Rohn Stark?

Granted he was very likely the greatest punter in team history, but a SECOND ROUNDER I believe. While SD showed us how important a good punter can be, a draft pick like this is clearly sending fans the message - "we are preparing to lose, and lose well for a very long time to come".

....a draft pick like this is clearly sending fans the message - "we are preparing to lose, and lose well for a very long time to come".

I disagree, it's telling the fans that they are going to be ready no matter what happens. Things of great importance may depend on something trivial and like the old saying goes "for want of a nail, a kingdom was lost."

Not stupid, not preparing to lose. Just preparing.

I disagree, it's telling the fans that they are going to be ready no matter what happens. Things of great importance may depend on something trivial and like the old saying goes "for want of a nail, a kingdom was lost."

Not stupid, not preparing to lose. Just preparing.

I was trying to be funny. I really couldn't care less one way or the other. Whether it's a good move or not depends on all of the other teams needs and decisions - very few of which I've paid any attention to.

I will say that Rohn Stark was a terrific player and I'm glad that the Colts had him - I just thought (and think) that taking him at #34 overall was borderline insanity. Can you imagine the reaction if the Colts have drafted Anger instead of Fleener? They had a LOT of crying needs that were FAR more important than punter. I remember finding it embarrassing at the time, and as his career went on - and the franchise became even more dysfunctional - it transitioned to humorous. THIS is the guy going to Hawaii every year.

I was trying to be funny. I really couldn't care less one way or the other. Whether it's a good move or not depends on all of the other teams needs and decisions - very few of which I've paid any attention to.

I will say that Rohn Stark was a terrific player and I'm glad that the Colts had him - I just thought (and think) that taking him at #34 overall was borderline insanity. Can you imagine the reaction if the Colts have drafted Anger instead of Fleener? They had a LOT of crying needs that were FAR more important than punter. I remember finding it embarrassing at the time, and as his career went on - and the franchise became even more dysfunctional - it transitioned to humorous. THIS is the guy going to Hawaii every year.

Sorry, missed your intent and as I'm the only one championing the choice there is a distinct possibility I'm wrong.......

Man I'm glad we play in their division.

We're gonna be hearing the name Brian Anger a lot this season....and indeed, many subsequent seasons. I agree with MAC although he was (kinda) joking.....

'We are preparing to lose, and lose well for a very long time to come' - Shahid Khan

shahid-khan.jpg

You are not alone in not realizing the Onion is satiric. People react the exact same way you did, thousands of times over.

I was guilty of this once years ago. Like.....I never heard of the onion before. I didn't know.

On the Onions YouTube channel, look at the comments, it's like a trademark that people don't realize it's news satire.

Older Colts fans may laugh a little louder at this - nervously - mostly thankful that it's not us. Does anyone remember Rohn Stark?

Granted he was very likely the greatest punter in team history, but a SECOND ROUNDER I believe. While SD showed us how important a good punter can be, a draft pick like this is clearly sending fans the message - "we are preparing to lose, and lose well for a very long time to come".

Do you remember Ray Guy? The raiders took him in the first round. Although, he is among the best punters of all time, and its the raiders..

on a side note, Rohn Stark is the only player to play for the Baltimore Colts and play against the Baltimore Ravens..

Sorry, missed your intent and as I'm the only one championing the choice there is a distinct possibility I'm wrong.......

Man I'm glad we play in their division.

We're gonna be hearing the name Brian Anger a lot this season....and indeed, many subsequent seasons. I agree with MAC although he was (kinda) joking.....

'We are preparing to lose, and lose well for a very long time to come' - Shahid Khan

shahid-khan.jpg

Well I probably could have said it clearer and labeled my intent better. I meant it to a certain extent - as in - this would bother me if it were my team, just as it bothered me when the Colts drafted Rohn Stark. A great team can get away with this if the punter is an extra piece that gives them a new dimension making them a little bit better. A lousy team really can't get away with this without their fan base (amongst others) concluding that the team must expect to be punting a LOT. One would hope that a better invested pick might contribute to the team not needing to punt so much in the first place. Teams copy each other, and there is a reason that this rarely happens. Unorthodox and questionable to say the least.

But my line at the end - which you have delightfully put a name and face to in such a manner that it now seems like something out of The Simpson's - was meant as humorous exaggeration.

Do you remember Ray Guy? The raiders took him in the first round. Although, he is among the best punters of all time, and its the raiders..

on a side note, Rohn Stark is the only player to play for the Baltimore Colts and play against the Baltimore Ravens..

Very true, and he was amazing. Of course they were already a really good team which changes the perspective quite a bit. I wonder what the news reports were at the time (although as you imply, it was probably a lot of "there goes Al Davis again").

That's a great piece of trivia about Stark.