Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts at Texans post game

GoColts8818

If Richardson continues to play at this level, here's the next stage in all of this.  Steichen, Irsay and Ballard will have to admit to themselves that he should never have gone anywhere near top 5.  They then have to ask themselves, if he were a 3rd or 4th rounder playing like this, what would we do with him?  And then that's what you do with him.  If that means he's a backup who works heavily on his mechanics and maybe gets a package every game, that's what it means.  

I don't have a game number on when that should happen, but if he shows no improvement, continuing to play him is to no one's benefit. This offense is painful to watch.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

No they weren’t , they were incomplete passes, that had the potential to be TD passes. Those types of plays ARE going to happen. Defensive players get paid to make plays as well. All but one of those passes (the pass to Goodson) were contested defensively which led to them not being complete it wasn’t entirely on the receiver so we can’t call them blatant concentration drops.

You’re moving the goal posts now. 

You just said…

You’re talking about 6 passes that weren’t caught let’s say they were he would still be 16 for 32. 

… to prove AR was still inaccurate even if we included those passes. I just pointed out he would’ve thrown for 4 TDs if our receivers made those plays and the Colts would’ve won handidly. 

I’ll take AR going 16/32 if it means he has 4 TDs any sunday. 

Even if they’d only made one or two of those catches the Colts still win. It’s funny how 50/50-balls are never that when it comes to Colts WRs and that gets blamed on AR…

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Everyone needs to read Chris Shepherd’s article.  This guy lays it out without bias.  Bottom line, AR is improving.  But he’s still the youngest and least experienced QB in the league.  

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2024/10/27/24281281/week-8-colts-vs-texans-forget-highlights-lets-look-at-every-anthony-richardson-throw-shane-steichen

SMonroe, I agree with you and this writer. AR is a work in progress and is going to drive people crazy at times but his passing improved today despite the terrible numbers. 
So many dropped balls; a lot of good plays by the Texan DBs; and a miserable job by the O line today. 
No question, AR had a tough day. But I felt his second half was much stronger, and that’s something to feel good about. 
Let’s accept that he’s incredibly inexperienced and that he’s not going to be a top QB in the immediate future. But he IS improving as the year progresses. Let’s see what the next 9 games bring. 

10 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

You’re moving the goal posts now. 

You just said…

… to prove AR was still inaccurate even if we included those passes. I just pointed out he would’ve thrown for 4 TDs if our receivers made those plays and the Colts would’ve won handidly. 

I’ll take AR going 16/32 if it means he has 4 TDs any sunday. 

Even if they’d only made one or two of those catches the Colts still win. It’s funny how 50/50-balls are never that when it comes to Colts WRs and that gets blamed on AR…

How is it moving the goal post if they were not WIDE open passes that could have gone for completions? I gave you the pass to Goodson that SHOULD have gone for a touchdown, but the pass to Pittman he was CLEARLY blanketed and the pass to AD he actually caught the ball but could not get his feet in. Now if we go back and actually look at those two passes specifically he had guys open who he could have EASILY checked down to for yardage and a new set of downs. JT was wide open in the flats on the pass to Pittman and Pittman was wide open running a crosser on the pass to AD. You cannot thrive in the NFL as a QB on Low percentage passes AKA the deep ball. Richardson HAS to learn to take the high percentage throws. Had he done that who knows how many more Toudys Indy could have actually scored.

A few things.  I said SS not telling his Kick returner to run the ball out of the endzone before the 2 minute warning was an offense worth being fired for.  I got lambasted on here for it. 

I also said that SS is not developing AR at all and his offense looks like Reich 2.0.  Another offense that you can be fired for.

Finally, we have SS calling for a pass on 3rd and long, from your own 10, with 20 seconds left in the half.  Sure enough AR throws an INT and Houston scores what turns out to be the game winning points right after.

I know many will say to give SS time, but to me those are all GIANT SCREAMING RED FLAGS that show SS will never be a good coach.

As for AR?  I am done.  Move on.  Next.   I started to feel this way a few games ago when he said "he will do what he do" and not worry about sliding.   And he made a few more comments after that gave me pause.  For example "one of one" and he thinks he is a great passer.  I mean............wat?????   And I can add in the fact that he seems to squirm like a worm whenever he gets hit.  His pain tolerance is ZERO.

But to take yourself out of a game from being tired, which I have never seen a QB do at any level in life?  And to brush it off like it was nothing?  Get rid of this guy and get rid of him now.  Forget the fact that he is maybe the most inaccurate QB I have ever seen.   That is bad enough physically.

But the fact that he seems like a complete amoeba mentally?  And lets face it he does not come off as a Rhodes Scholar when he talks....which is fine.  But the fact that he seems to place blame on everyone but himself?

Ship him out and ship him out asap.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

How is it moving the goal post if they were not WIDE open passes that could have gone for completions? I gave you the pass to Goodson that SHOULD have gone for a touchdown, but the pass to Pittman he was CLEARLY blanketed and the pass to AD he actually caught the ball but could not get his feet in. Now if we go back and actually look at those two passes specifically he had guys open who he could have EASILY checked down to for yardage and a new set of downs. JT was wide open in the flats on the pass to Pittman and Pittman was wide open running a crosser on the pass to AD. You cannot thrive in the NFL as a QB on Low percentage passes AKA the deep ball. Richardson HAS to learn to take the high percentage throws. Had he done that who knows how many more Toudys Indy could have actually scored.

The passes hit them in the hands man. Sure it’s 50/50 balls when closely covered, but our WRs just never come down with them. 

JT was WIDE open on one of 6 plays you just watched. Even Mahomes overlooks wide open targets from time to time. 

I agree he has to take those shots more often when they are there, but Steichen also has to force those calls more often. 

AR was pressured on nearly 2/3rds of his dropbacks. He was sacked 5 times. Several dropped passes. And yes, the defense made some plays too. The whole offense (save JT and possibly Downs) STUNK today. Steichen STUNK today. Somehow it’s all AR’s fault.

1 hour ago, ProblChld32 said:

You only go deep IF it’s there, you never force a throw. Every pass play design there usually is an outlet or check-down available. ARs problem is he’s willing to always take the deep shots. He doesn’t have much game sense and it’s apparent with his lack of reps and starts. Good case and example towards the end of the game on that scramble had he stepped out of bounds he would’ve saved so much more time instead he tried to be Superman and got tackled in bounds and the clock kept running. An experienced QB 9 times out of 10 would’ve gone out of bounds. He made some good plays, but the bad outweighed the good tremendously.

Unless if thats what the play tells you to go. If he's going through his progression and he has a shot deep, why wouldn't he take it? 

• Like 1

The thing that was so frustrating is despite AR, OL and Shane all having a bad game it was still a game they could’ve won at the end. Texans didn’t look impressive but they got timely plays and FGs scattered throughout the game. Colts on the other hand it was either feast or famine with too much emphasis on deep shots and less on short and medium plays.

17 minutes ago, ColtAndOrioles said:

A few things.  I said SS not telling his Kick returner to run the ball out of the endzone before the 2 minute warning was an offense worth being fired for.  I got lambasted on here for it. 

I also said that SS is not developing AR at all and his offense looks like Reich 2.0.  Another offense that you can be fired for.

Finally, we have SS calling for a pass on 3rd and long, from your own 10, with 20 seconds left in the half.  Sure enough AR throws an INT and Houston scores what turns out to be the game winning points right after.

I know many will say to give SS time, but to me those are all GIANT SCREAMING RED FLAGS that show SS will never be a good coach.

As for AR?  I am done.  Move on.  Next.   I started to feel this way a few games ago when he said "he will do what he do" and not worry about sliding.   And he made a few more comments after that gave me pause.  For example "one of one" and he thinks he is a great passer.  I mean............wat?????   And I can add in the fact that he seems to squirm like a worm whenever he gets hit.  His pain tolerance is ZERO.

But to take yourself out of a game from being tired, which I have never seen a QB do at any level in life?  And to brush it off like it was nothing?  Get rid of this guy and get rid of him now.  Forget the fact that he is maybe the most inaccurate QB I have ever seen.   That is bad enough physically.

But the fact that he seems like a complete amoeba mentally?  And lets face it he does not come off as a Rhodes Scholar when he talks....which is fine.  But the fact that he seems to place blame on everyone but himself?

Ship him out and ship him out asap.

Copy and paste

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

I said that to emphasize Eli was a 4 year starter in college and he had to do that. So AR probably needs more time on the sidelines??? Or treat him like Tim Tebow with a tailored offense 

I think it’s going to be the later.  I don’t think sitting him is going to help him.

48 minutes ago, nsurg said:

I thought that most of Richardson's passes were accurate today, there were countless drops and some nice defensive plays. He's a rookie effectively. 

Even most rookies do better than 2 of 15 for a half and 33% for the game even with the things you mentioned.  

• Like 2

Richardson was put into the best position of any young player. Great O-line, elite RB, good receiver core, and an offensive minded HC. 

It’s a better situation than probably Williams, Daniels, Levis, Young, Stroud, Nix, and Maye. Yet all of those QBs have outplayed him except for Young and Levis, and even the gap with those two is relatively small. 

Thats why I’m not buying these excuses. Playcalling hasn’t been good, but would anyone really rather have Shane Waldron or Brad Idzik? Receivers? Would rather have our group than Every other group except who the Bears have. And we have the best RB out of any of the other QBs mentioned. OL had penalties but would anyone rather have the Bears or Titans O-line?

We get it, he’s young and raw, but then that brings us back to the original point; he shouldn’t be playing. None of what is happening is really helping him get better.

Also we have completely lowered the bar for bad rookie QB play. This isn’t normal growing pains. This is historically bad QB play.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Unless if thats what the play tells you to go. If he's going through his progression and he has a shot deep, why wouldn't he take it? 

In all my years of playing and coaching football a passing play (screens excluded) has never been designed to go directly to one singular player. It’s all based on concepts and what you see on the field. We’ll go with a “flood” concept for example it’s a concept to stretch the defense and make them pick their poison. You usually have 3 receiving threats on one side of the field one vertical route, an out breaking route and a shallower out breaking or flat route underneath that. The play is dialed up to scheme someone open DEPENDING on what the defense is showing or giving you. In most cases that vertical route pulls the safety’s back usually making more room for the out breaking route. Once again it’s all based on what you see the defense giving you. But under no circumstances is a play called and you’re going to throw to one specific player EVERY time (if that is what you’re suggesting). As for going through progressions, AR does that very poorly. I watch the all 22 film each week and he notoriously stares receivers down, which is why he’s thrown the amount of interceptions he has so far this season. 

9 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

In all my years of playing and coaching football a passing play (screens excluded) has never been designed to go directly to one singular player. It’s all based on concepts and what you see on the field. We’ll go with a “flood” concept for example it’s a concept to stretch the defense and make them pick their poison. You usually have 3 receiving threats on one side of the field one vertical route, an out breaking route and a shallower out breaking or flat route underneath that. The play is dialed up to scheme someone open DEPENDING on what the defense is showing or giving you. In most cases that vertical route pulls the safety’s back usually making more room for the out breaking route. Once again it’s all based on what you see the defense giving you. But under no circumstances is a play called and you’re going to throw to one specific player EVERY time (if that is what you’re suggesting). As for going through progressions, AR does that very poorly. I watch the all 22 film each week and he notoriously stares receivers down, which is why he’s thrown the amount of interceptions he has so far this season. 

No. What I'm suggesting is if the play calls for the deep shot and you have one on one, why wouldn't you take a shot? I get what you mean by taking the checkdown and make things easier from a down and distance, but AR is following the play call and you're gonna take the shot deep if it's one on one

5 hours ago, TheEdgeis1 said:

Here’s a thought.  Some on this board want to keep rolling with AR because he needs reps but let’s face it he is not looking good.  Some want to role with Flacco but think of it as a band-aid as he is almost 40 years old.  So my question is this, why not try Sam.  He’s been learning now for 3 years and is a young QB.  So it kind of has both arguments.  If he pans out then we might have our QB, if not oh well

yes try sam and then bean use this lost season to see if any of those can win

I still believe in AR as Im sitting here just going through some of the highlights.  Like I said before I just think we need to be a bit more run based in our plays than we are and that includes an increase in the QB runs preferrably to the outside.  I like that 4th down play where he sprinted off to the right and picked up the first down. He could have took that to the house if he got through that alley.   I think it also wouldn't hurt us to add in a few plays where it looks like AR is going to run but then he steps back and passes.  And what has happened to creative plays like what Shane dialed up against the Rams on the goal line when Pittman came across the formation and scored or whatever?  Little easy pick ups like that we need more of.  Im not sure if AR is ready for the complete passing attack yet, but it sure seems like Steichen is giving him the whole plate.  I could be wrong.  I think we need to simplify and just get good at putting drives together because right now we stink!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Shane may not be to blame for the late INT after all.  AR checked into that play.

I say he still has to have a sense for when a guy is in over his head or getting a little wild.  Look at the situation and waive the white flag on anything dangerous. I mean most of us could see AR was starting to just gun balls in there a bit wild while we were on the wrong side of the field where things could bite us in the butt.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Richardson was put into the best position of any young player. Great O-line, elite RB, good receiver core, and an offensive minded HC. 

It’s a better situation than probably Williams, Daniels, Levis, Young, Stroud, Nix, and Maye. Yet all of those QBs have outplayed him except for Young and Levis, and even the gap with those two is relatively small. 

Thats why I’m not buying these excuses. Playcalling hasn’t been good, but would anyone really rather have Shane Waldron or Brad Idzik? Receivers? Would rather have our group than Every other group except who the Bears have. And we have the best RB out of any of the other QBs mentioned. OL had penalties but would anyone rather have the Bears or Titans O-line?

We get it, he’s young and raw, but then that brings us back to the original point; he shouldn’t be playing. None of what is happening is really helping him get better.

Also we have completely lowered the bar for bad rookie QB play. This isn’t normal growing pains. This is historically bad QB play.

sam did better than ar in first few games