Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you cut me (Don’t name me)

csmopar

15 hours ago, csmopar said:

Let’s play a game of comparing AR to a random QB. I’m a QB that played in the league between 1980 and 2024. my first 8 games starting of my career, my stats look like this.  Looking only at these stats, and with no name attached,  would you call me a bust and cut me? 

Game 1: 21 comp, 37 attempts, 56.6% completion rate. 1 Passing TD 3 INTs 

Game 2:  21/37, 63.4 % completion rate. 1 Passing TD 3 INTs 

Game 3: 20/44, 45% completion rate, 0 TD, 2 INTs

Game 4: 19/32, 59.38 % ,  1 TD and 3 INTs

Game 5: 12/23, 52.17%, 1 TD and 1 INT

Game 6: 20/41, 48 % completion rate, 2 TDs, 2 INTs

Game 7: 18/30, 60 percent completion rate, 3 TDs, 0 INTs

Game 8: 30/52, 57% completions, 2 TDs, 2 INTs.

I finished my rookie year with a mid 50 percent completion rate and ended with more INTs than TDs. My team barely won any games. Was blown out multiple times by more than 20 points.

Dont name the QB, judge solely on the stats.

Would you call me a bust after 8 games and cut me?

In addition to draft position impacting the decision, there is also college experience.  Showing all of the skills in several college seasons gives some confidence that a poor rookie start is simply a function of adjustment.  Not showing the skills in college might cause a team to think the poor start might take longer or be more permanent.  Whether a team cuts a player or waits is a function of patience.

Patience could be influenced by things like the contracts of the GM and HC and major dollar players tending to coincide together, so that no decision on the QB is made before the trigger-date of house cleaning arrives.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Okay and? 

Going through 2-3 losing seasons to see if AR who is horribly inaccurate with his short to intermediate throws and hasn’t been able to stay on the field doesn’t sound real appealing. But hey that looks like the road we are heading down so I’ll hope for the best. Maybe he”ll turn out to be another Lamar Jackson. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

harlem-nights-della-reese.gif

Seriously though....who (in their right mind) is talking about cutting AR? 

Exactly! Everyone knew that this would take time to develop AR based on his very limited time as a starting qb on any level (hs, college, pros) mostly due to injury. Now if AR can reach his full potential that taps into his unlimited raw talent through coaching and by gaining experience from playing on a regular basis then the Colts would not only have found their franchise qb but also a budding superstar in the making but.....

If some are lacking patience and ready to move on this quickly from AR then it's ironic considering how much time has been given to Ballard to get this team to a contending level or Bradley to make this defense at least serviceable outside bottom feeding teams. The lack of patience might be understandable for ticket holders after being in qb hell for years that has contributed to the yearly lackluster results but Ballard also had the opportunity to move up a few spots and snag the polished CJ Stroud instead of simply sitting pat to take on a project type in AR or settle for the awful Will Levis.

Me personally I think you have to allow for the growing pains of AR to see IF he can become that guy and if not then move on but at least give him a reasonable opportunity time wise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

I think the biggest problem for fans when it comes to AR is really the situation. People have lost patience with the mediocracy and developing AR will take time. Unfortunately and unfairly that impatience is going to be thrown at AR.

It is amplified by the fact that we had Luck winning right away. Then, we had vets like Rivers winning right away and since then, it has been 3 years of no playoffs. So we need to keep things in perspective.

Playoffs this year, and winning the division next year was my realistic goal if AR's development and roster construction goes right. Anything beyond that is gravy. Anything below that would be a disappointment, and should be the end of the leash for Ballard after the 2025 season if we don't win the division by then. He would have had a solid 10 years to give us a division winner from 2017-2026 off season.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RollerColt said:

He was 3-16 as a starter for his first team and then was deemed a bust and traded to be a backup. 

He then went on to become a Hall of Fame QB thanks to a legendary coach, and a stable environment. 

The man I am referring to is: 

Steve Young

Great example. Thanks.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I think the biggest problem for fans when it comes to AR is really the situation. People have lost patience with the mediocracy and developing AR will take time. Unfortunately and unfairly that impatience is going to be thrown at AR.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

It is amplified by the fact that we had Luck winning right away. Then, we had vets like Rivers winning right away and since then, it has been 3 years of no playoffs. So we need to keep things in perspective.

Playoffs this year, and winning the division next year was my realistic goal if AR's development and roster construction goes right. Anything beyond that is gravy. Anything below that would be a disappointment, and should be the end of the leash for Ballard after the 2025 season if we don't win the division by then. He would have had a solid 10 years to give us a division winner from 2017-2026 off season.

Last year, this forum was on board with the idea of the season being a bit of a throw away because of the reality behind ARs experience.  He misses the season last year, and some how folks think he's taken a step from the season they were ready to throw away.

I don't get that, and why I refuse to be happy with a win where AR plays crappy or bother to think about playoff ramifications.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Great point. Everyone on here has fatigue of some type with the Colts: 

Losing fatigue, Ballard fatigue, QB carousel fatigue, etc. A new young franchise QB is the definition of hope and, I think you're right, the weight of all that fatigue is being unfairly put on AR. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, DougDew said:

In addition to draft position impacting the decision, there is also college experience.  Showing all of the skills in several college seasons gives some confidence that a poor rookie start is simply a function of adjustment.  Not showing the skills in college might cause a team to think the poor start might take longer or be more permanent.  Whether a team cuts a player or waits is a function of patience.

Patience could be influenced by things like the contracts of the GM and HC and major dollar players tending to coincide together, so that no decision on the QB is made before the trigger-date of house cleaning arrives.

Okay. Sure but the QB in my OP was much more experienced in college than AR is and his stats were worse. Way worse in some areas.

47 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Okay. Sure but the QB in my OP was much more experienced in college than AR is and his stats were worse. Way worse in some areas.

48 minutes ago, csmopar said:

No names lol

I know who it is 😂

9 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Which means this season was going to be a disappointment for them anyway.  

Not gonna lie, the few games he played last year had my expectations higher for this year, but they were brought back down to reality.  I’m ok with this taking time.  Only time I get mad is when he doesn’t play because that is the key to this project.  He HAS to play.  

• Like 3

On 10/21/2024 at 5:19 PM, csmopar said:

Let’s play a game of comparing AR to a random QB. I’m a QB that played in the league between 1980 and 2024. my first 8 games starting of my career, my stats look like this.  Looking only at these stats, and with no name attached,  would you call me a bust and cut me? 

Game 1: 21 comp, 37 attempts, 56.6% completion rate. 1 Passing TD 3 INTs 

Game 2:  21/37, 63.4 % completion rate. 1 Passing TD 3 INTs 

Game 3: 20/44, 45% completion rate, 0 TD, 2 INTs

Game 4: 19/32, 59.38 % ,  1 TD and 3 INTs

Game 5: 12/23, 52.17%, 1 TD and 1 INT

Game 6: 20/41, 48 % completion rate, 2 TDs, 2 INTs

Game 7: 18/30, 60 percent completion rate, 3 TDs, 0 INTs

Game 8: 30/52, 57% completions, 2 TDs, 2 INTs.

I finished my rookie year with a mid 50 percent completion rate and ended with more INTs than TDs. My team barely won any games. Was blown out multiple times by more than 20 points.

Dont name the QB, judge solely on the stats.

Would you call me a bust after 8 games and cut me?

According to these stats, the said QB may develop but also may struggle in post season. 

I wouldn't cut him but look to trade for a QB that would be more clutch in playoffs. :funny::funny::funny:

8 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

According to these stats, the said QB may develop but also may struggle in post season. 

I wouldn't cut him but look to trade for a QB that would be more clutch in playoffs. :funny::funny::funny:

Like Bert Jones?    :lol:

On 10/22/2024 at 10:14 AM, Solid84 said:

Also maybe the fact that QBs with similar traits often fail to develop to play the position at a high level despite having so much physical talent. 

QBs like Justin Fields, Kyler Murray, etc. to mention just a few.  Even Lamar Jackson, a MVP winner, hasn't played or passed well when it matters most. 

AR has a lot of developing to do, more than most considering his lack of experience in college.

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Also maybe the fact that QBs with similar traits often fail to develop to play the position at a high level despite having so much physical talent. 

QBs like Justin Fields, Kyler Murray, etc. to mention just a few.  Even Lamar Jackson, a MVP winner, hasn't played or passed well when it matters most. 

AR has a lot of developing to do, more than most considering his lack of experience in college.

It does take the QB themselves to put it all together, but people really underestimate how much what’s around them matters.

You can either end up with a Josh Allen/Jalen Hurts or you can end up with a Justin Fields/Daniel Jones.  Coaching and personnel plays a HUGE part that people often overlook.   When looking at the first two, they didn’t really put it all together until they got the personnel (Diggs, Brown, Sirriani, McDermott, etc.) while the other two never got the pieces put around them.  

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Like Bert Jones?    :lol:

The thing with QBs winning post season games is no matter how great they are, they can only do so much when going against superior teams and HC's. 

The colts in 75,76,77 were way over matched by the Raiders/Steelers  rosters AND you certainly can't compare Ted  Marchibroda to a John Madden or a Chuck Noll. 

Overmatched on the field and out coached on the sidelines.